Pats wheeling and dealing, trade for Martellus Bennet

FireChan

He is better than average. Look at the 3 years before last and he is top 5. Bennett can also run after the catch and the Pats have had great success with 2 TEs. That's why they went after him. Malcontent or not there is nothing good about this for the Bills.

I didn't want to have debate TBC on his talent, but I agree he's above average.

Yeah, the Pats* offense got better with the trade. But reading reactions here, you'd think they just got a fast-pass to the Super Bowl. I don't think that's true.

They made the Super Bowl the last time they had two talented TE's.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't want to have debate TBC on his talent, but I agree he's above average.

They made the Super Bowl the last time they had two talented TE's.

They made more SB's without any talented TE's.

Yeah, the Pats* offense got better with the trade. But reading reactions here, you'd think they just got a fast-pass to the Super Bowl. I don't think that's true.

A team that is better than us just improved. That's what it really boils down to.

So?

So they probably didn't make it to the SB because of their defense that year? Meanwhile Doc is referencing SB trips where they got there with a good defense/an okay offense and one of the best total teams of all time, which the Pats clearly don't have.

So that guarantees a SB now?

"guarantees"

Time to put a quarter in your dishonesty jar, Doc.

This is a big move for them. They basically recreated what they had before Hernandez's most recent murder. The tight ends push the safeties and Edleman works underneath. This is one of the bigger additions of the offseason IMO.

This is Cam Cleeland all over again. Bennett is a huge baby and locker room problem from the Cowboys to Giants to Bears to Patriots...getting quite the jersey collection at 28 years old.

Wright was suppose to be great and oh watch out for Chandler etc....

Edited by CardinalScotts

One thing not being talked about is the depth now behind Gronk who has been oft injured. Sure putting Bennett and Gronk in two TE sets sounds fun but this move takes away one of the Pats biggest weaknesses. If Gronk goes down they now have a more than adequate replacement.

Among TE's in 2015, Bennet finished:

15th in REC

24th in Yards

19th in TD's

Somebody will have to explain to me what all the pants shitting is about.

Yes, he played in 11 games.

So explain finishing 17th in ypg...

This...only I prefer panties in a bunch as opposed to shitting pants (but also happy I can say shitting).

Bennett is a weapon. Big cat will get it once he sees the pats crushing souls in the red zone.

Yeah that was definitely an area for improvement for them. :huh:

Not news: The Pats* offense stayed good.

On defense they lost a huge piece. I didn't see anyone jumping for joy about it. So why should we cower in fear when a good offense gets marginally better?

At issue is the degree to which they got better. Count me as someone who's not all together alarmed by it.

I personally feel like this is a move gear to couteract the rest of the teams in the division. With the slight defensive upgrades the Dolphins made and the heat the BILLS and JETS bring, the PATS running out of 2 TE sets helps the offensive line with blocking and are a complete mismatch against the linebackers in our division.

Name 1 great coverage linebacker in our division let alone 2. This will put the PATS right back in the Superbowl.

Edited by Protocal69

Why did the Bears not want him?

Malcontent, high price tag, rebuilding.

On defense they lost a huge piece. I didn't see anyone jumping for joy about it. So why should we cower in fear when a good offense gets marginally better?

At issue is the degree to which they got better. Count me as someone who's not all together alarmed by it.

Maybe you missed the hot takes of it being a bad move for the Pats.

I'm taking Alli to lose weight so i **** my pants all the time. Just kidding.

And yes, Brady is the best QB in football (Rodgers is the only one close). It doesn't mean I like the guy, and they definitely have the best TE in Football (thanks Nix for choosing Troup - sorry I just can't get over that one). They also have some impactful WR with Edelman, and Amendola, but now Hogan will flourish.

They can literally draft 5 offensive lineman if they wanted in the draft and ugghh, I hate it, but get back to the SB again. I'm going to puke if they repeat again.

They also trade Greg Olsen. They are dumb.

You also think Rex Ryan wasn't a huge reason for the drop in our defense. :)

I personally feel like this is a move gear to couteract the rest of the teams in the division. With the slight defensive upgrades the Dolphins made and the heat the BILLS and JETS bring, the PATS running out of 2 TE sets helps the offensive line with blocking and are a complete mismatch against the linebackers in our division.

Name 1 great coverage linebacker in our division let alone 2. This will put the PATS right back in the Superbowl.

Heat the Bills bring? Were you not watching this past season? 21 sacks and Mario released. I haven't seen anything yet to show me they're going to do any better

I'm taking Alli to lose weight so i **** my pants all the time. Just kidding.

And yes, Brady is the best QB in football (Rodgers is the only one close). It doesn't mean I like the guy, and they definitely have the best TE in Football (thanks Nix for choosing Troup - sorry I just can't get over that one). They also have some impactful WR with Edelman, and Amendola, but now Hogan will flourish.

They can literally draft 5 offensive lineman if they wanted in the draft and ugghh, I hate it, but get back to the SB again. I'm going to puke if they repeat again.

you are doing it wrong Kelly!

if you poop the pants the weight stills on the scales. Goodness Man !

Lotsa handwringing here.

getting ahead of ourselves a tinch aren't we ?

It just another TE.

and he ain't no Dray Dray.

Occasionally BB hits on one of these malcontented screwballs.........but not usually.

I still can't believe he traded Chandler Jones and that people think that a late second round pick and a dud offensive guard was reasonable compensation.

Maybe Jones is on the edge of a long suspension or something but there isn't a pass rusher that good in the entire draft this year.

If the Bills traded Dareus for that junk we'd be rirpshitt.

The Patriots front office are the smartest people in the room.

I completely disagree. They just gave up another elite dLine player in Jones which will turn out to be just as bad as the Seymour trade.

If you think Chris Long isn't a huge downgrade you haven't been watching him play. As far as Bennett goes, we will see what kind of impact he has when he's getting 2 targets a game and starts his act again.

Poor drafters, poor traders. Its Brady a great TE and some role players.

We played em tough last time. Was proud of our D and what Rex and Thurman did to Brady. Next year we close the deal.

Occasionally BB hits on one of these malcontented screwballs.........but not usually.

I still can't believe he traded Chandler Jones and that people think that a late second round pick and a dud offensive guard was reasonable compensation.

Maybe Jones is on the edge of a long suspension or something but there isn't a pass rusher that good in the entire draft this year.

The move hurt them as that mid-2nd rounder likely won't be a Pro Bowl DE. And they miss twice as much as they hit on 2nd rounders.

But I understand why they did it. At the time, they had 22 UFA's (including him, and they do again) after the 2016 and they can't pay them all.

There was that mishap with the synthetic weed, showing up at the police dept shirtless.

This move is the one that is typical Patriots and effin sucks. Bennett was one of the better TE's in the league a couple years ago with Cutler. Now he has Brady and Brady has him.

Edited by H2o

You say that as if it's measurably worse against the other 30 teams.

I don't know how but I feel pretty sure you could statistically prove that the Pats are worse against the other 30 teams (particularly the 27 teams outside our division). If that counts as measurable then I guess we could fire up JMP and the wiki on poison distributions (I think that's this)

I'm ok with them drafting 5 lineman if they draft no CBs. I have to believe their CB depth bites them soon. If we could keep TEs in to block their good rushers (not so good after losing Jones), then Sammy should be able to beat half their secondary anywhere on a play action.

One good thing this should signal the end of Amendola in NE unless he opens up to a pay cut. He is the highest paid WR and as it stands he might be the 5th option on that team.

...? Are you actually happy on a bills forum that the Patriots might layoff a bad contract? I hope Amendola holds out this TC and they have to give the rest of their cap to that guy. Were you upset the Pats signed Hogan for too much when the Bills would have likely not matched a smaller offer?

I'm also surprised by the move. I think no matter what TT gets more time which more importantly exposes the Pats 2ndry

But I understand why they did it. At the time, they had 22 UFA's (including him, and they do again) after the 2016 and they can't pay them all.

How do they have so many UFA's....? Is this why they always get an absurd number of comp picks?

For this Bennett deal, I am very ambivalent. Sorry for so many quotes (I like to keep my post count low, but the quality high).

I don't know how but I feel pretty sure you could statistically prove that the Pats are worse against the other 30 teams (particularly the 27 teams outside our division). If that counts as measurable then I guess we could fire up JMP and the wiki on poison distributions (I think that's this)

I'm ok with them drafting 5 lineman if they draft no CBs. I have to believe their CB depth bites them soon. If we could keep TEs in to block their good rushers (not so good after losing Jones), then Sammy should be able to beat half their secondary anywhere on a play action.

...? Are you actually happy on a bills forum that the Patriots might layoff a bad contract? I hope Amendola holds out this TC and they have to give the rest of their cap to that guy. Were you upset the Pats signed Hogan for too much when the Bills would have likely not matched a smaller offer?

I'm also surprised by the move. I think no matter what TT gets more time which more importantly exposes the Pats 2ndry

How do they have so many UFA's....? Is this why they always get an absurd number of comp picks?

For this Bennett deal, I am very ambivalent. Sorry for so many quotes (I like to keep my post count low, but the quality high).

Knock yourself out: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/head-to-head.htm