Scott Norwood, XXV years later

YoloinOhio

The average fan doesn’t recall the time on Sept. 25, 1988, when he made all five of his field goal attempts and scored 18 points in a win over the Steelers, one of only 45 kickers in NFL history to account for that many, on his wife’s birthday. They don’t remember his All-Pro season.

Yes, we do.

48 yards on natural grass is not a gimmie. Couple it with the fact that Scott was not known to have the best range outside of 45 yds, the Bills needed to do a much better job with the clock on that last drive.

At the end of the day trying to find fault or blame is useless. It is what it is.

Scott is a great guy . The way Buffalo treated him was first class and it has to of helped him get through it.

I feel really bad for Scott Norwood. No one should have to shoulder the entire burden for that loss by himself and certainly not Scott.

A few thoughts in this regard:

Frank Reich (whom I like) really needs to stand up and just say to the world that his hold was not good. Indeed, the ball (not surprisingly) drifted in the direction of where the laces were pointed. I did not watch the whole thing, but the recent 30 for 30 would have been a perfect time for Frank to have done that for Scott Norwood's sake. No one would have thought any less of Frank for doing so. Maybe Frank did this in the 30 for 30 or has done this somewhere and I have missed it. If so, I apologize.

To his absolute credit, I have never once heard Scott Norwood blame the kick on Frank or anyone else. Nevertheless, Scott should not have had to carry this burden for so long.

Jim Kelly was far too stubborn in that game. I hate to say it but Bill Belichick completely outsmarted Jim. We could have run the ball all day long given the defense that they were playing.

Third down tackling - horrendous and painful.

In the end, Scott Norwood is a classy guy and that loss was a team loss through and through. It is a shame that we did not win for so many reasons.

I just saw this from 2001. Classy:

The question was put to Norwood: Were the laces right?

"That's not something I even delve into," he said, his posture suggesting otherwise. "The ball, wherever it's sitting down, that's what I take. In this instance, however, the laces were. I didn't feel it was a contributing factor. It's all a part of it. It's definitely a team situation."

In other words, Reich didn't get the laces front and center.

Watching Norwood answer questions from Charlie Steiner and Will McDonough it is difficult not to respect Norwood's stiff upper lip.

http://assets.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs00/010127garber/norwood.html

Edited by Peter

Yes, we do.

Exactly. No Bills fan I've ever known has had anything but love for Norwood. Contrasted with those knuckle-dragging, bridge-and-tunnel Gints fans who think a Norwood jersey with the name offset to the right is the highest of high comedy.

The honesty in that story is dramatic, courageous, and heartbreaking. I feel so bad for the guy, and I wish like many of us that he could move past it. But I can also understand how difficult it is. Especially when it could take just one thoughtless jackass to bring it all back in an instant.

I hope he finds the strength and peace to live a less burdened life.

it was at the outside of his range. The fact Reich had the laces to the right, on a long kick could not have helped at all.

Norwood could have used this as a partial excuse for missing. But, no he is a stand up player. i don't think i have ever seen a long FG attempt before or since with the laces to the right. of course no one gets a kick of that magnitude ever put under a microscope like Norwoods. Nor the chance typically too see which direction the laces are pointed. it is assumed though never to the right or left.

I liked how Dehaven? Reich? Explained it in Four Falls. Scott put so much behind the kick, it didn't fade left like they were in practice. Like a putt with too much mustard on it, it didn't break, but had more than enough distance.

Scott Norwood's life is not defined by the kick in Super Bowl 25.

His life is defined by the man he was and IS since the kick. A man of great honor and dignity and class.

i am not trying to be Richard here, but how do you know what he has been like in life since the kick? We know so little of these guys off the field, either good or bad, especially for such an intensely private guy like Scott Norwood.

Sad to read about his still carrying this burden. I am 53, and grew up for the most part with MISERABLE teams, and i never once blamed him for the loss. And i dont think i am in the minority...wish he knew that.

i am not trying to be Richard here, but how do you know what he has been like in life since the kick? We know so little of these guys off the field, either good or bad, especially for such an intensely private guy like Scott Norwood.

Sad to read about his still carrying this burden. I am 53, and grew up for the most part with MISERABLE teams, and i never once blamed him for the loss. And i dont think i am in the minority...wish he knew that.

Honestly, he is the last person to blame for the loss...

Great post. Agree on both accounts.

Ok I wouldn't go that far. Like he is more to blame than Thurman Thomas, for instance. He's definitely in the top 10-15 humans on planet earth to blame for the loss.

LOL. I'll give you the top 10-15 on the planet. It simply never should have come down to him and there were other plays that were missed before that came up; it just happened that his miss was when time ran out...

When you are a professional athlete, you are put in these types of situations. You live or die with your performance. He was on the team to make that kick, he missed it. You take the criticism along with the praise for the ones he made. Yes, the team made mistakes during the game, but they put him in a position to bail them out , he didn't.

No need for him to dwell on this any longer than he has, but let's face the facts, you miss, you wear the goat horns. Fair or not.

I guess I was wrong. There's always two.

Appropriate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7SjW0vFCiI

I feel like it is a really unhealthy burden he's shouldering and like is mentioned in the article by Talley, he needs to unburden himself some how. I can't explain why, but the story of the championship rings really broke my heart for whatever reason.

Sure was a lot of dust in the office this morning... :cry:

This article feels like it gets written every year...

Except for this year, when it's been every month. I mean really -- didn't everyone just rehash all this when the Bills 30 for 30 documentary aired? And again before the Super Bowl?

I can only be sad about a missed FG so many times. Move on folks.

Appropriate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7SjW0vFCiI

I feel like it is a really unhealthy burden he's shouldering and like is mentioned in the article by Talley, he needs to unburden himself some how. I can't explain why, but the story of the championship rings really broke my heart for whatever reason.

I worry about his well being. He needs to let it go. He should get professional counseling. I'm not a Psych, but I see traces of OCD, maybe even PTSD in the interview, and those can be treated. Lifting that burden would improve all aspects of his life. His JMU and financial planning shows he has a high upside, but he's being held back by something.

It's a team sport. It's a team loss. That he had to kick from the extremes of his usual range was due to field position results from offense, defense and special teams.

Yeap, I never even knew about that until the "Four falls of Buffalo" a few months ago. Was glad to see him treated with such class.

Compare that to how Boston fans treated Bill Buckner when he let the ball go thru his legs in Game 6 & tell me who the classier city is.

Compare that to how Boston fans treated Bill Buckner when he let the ball go thru his legs in Game 6 & tell me who the classier city is.

I agree with your conclusion, but a ball going through the wickets is different than missing a kick the player has missed every single time he's attempted it.

I can only be sad about a missed FG so many times. Move on folks.

I don't obsess about it, it's usually not something I think about...but I still feel like I've been kicked in the stomach every time I see it.

Is that "moving on" or not?

I don't get the guilt, hey you were on a NFL team they won alot. Missed a kick in the super bowl - Matt Bahr hit two chippies 23, 21.

1988 was all pro in games that year won them late 5 times, tied games late 3 times. Maybe I'm in the minority but I never had any hatred for Norwood. Was on a team that went 47-17 from 88-90-91-92 and was 9-4 in the playoffs. I'd be proud- guess drop passes, fumble, miss blocks, miss tackles, blow assignments that's the game.

sad part is I saw John McNamara the next year at spring training and he was gracious enough to chat with me and told me ...the biggest problem I have with the end of game 6 is they are blaming it on Bill Buckner they have the wrong guy. I said I put it more on Bob Stanley and he said well what's everyone else missing?

Edited by CardinalScotts

It's hard to believe it has been 25 years, but I guess time flies when you're watching bad football teams. Honestly, I feel sorry for him that he's still carrying an emotional burden. But to be fair, if he is, he should be getting counseling. One kick in one of four Superbowls doesn't make life over. To boot, I don't know any Bills fans that think he's some pariah. He was a very good kicker for the Bills and won more games for us than he lost. The impromptu rally when the team returned from their loss and calling for him to speak and cheering him on should have been a clear message of how Bills fans are with their teams.

sad part is I saw John McNamara the next year at spring training and he was gracious enough to chat with me and told me ...the biggest problem I have with the end of game 6 is they are blaming it on Bill Buckner they have the wrong guy. I said I put it more on Bob Stanley and he said well what's everyone else missing?

Yup. I remember having a conversation with a Red Sox fan the following year who was convinced the Sox win the game if Buckner makes that play. Hello?? These people couldn't even remember what happened in the game! Stanley was absolutely the goat. If Buckner makes the play, the Mets win in 11.