McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

Depends on what you mean by "clean." Do I think he should be playing in the NFL? Yes, I do; he hasn't been convicted of anything, and he's a good player. Does he make the Bills better? In the short term, most likely (others like Badol disagree). Is he a grade-A jerk? Judging from the countless "rumored" stories and his own occasional idiotic public comments and actions (i.e., on record), yes. Should I care about whether I like a player or not? Given that the sport rewards brutality, perhaps not, but I do. I guess it's a character flaw of mine.

Being a jerk isn't the same as saying a guys trouble and you have to be blind to miss it. No arguments he's a jerk. Lots and lots of football players are. The question is if he's trouble -- as in to society, himself, or others. There's nothing on his record to suggest he's dangerous, or even "trouble".

Jerk. Yes. No argument.

Trouble? No. That's letting your assumptions about his character shape a story that is pretty much devoid of facts at the moment.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is not to bash police because they are police, and also not to jump to the conclusion that MCCoy is at fault because the other guys are police. The media seems to be making a big deal of the fact that these were off duty cops, even referring to their length of time in the department and their rank. How is that relevant here? It's not relevant because they weren't acting as police officers. They were guys in a bar drinking, just like McCoy. It is only relevant if the Philly PD is handling the case differently because it involved 2 cops.

So the issue isn't about whether cops are good or bad, but is whether the story here is being shaped, and conclusions being prematurely reached because the incident involved police.

Well said.

Are you calling me racist because I don't like cops in general? Do I need to write a "P.S" at the end of every comment I make saying "but of course, not all cops are bad".

No, I am absolutely NOT calling you a racist. But your comment is disturbing. You don't like "cops in general?" How would you feel if another poster said that he or she "didn't like Jews in general?"

I just think it is really weak to lump an entire group together, but proceed as you wish.

Being a jerk isn't the same as saying a guys trouble and you have to be blind to miss it. No arguments he's a jerk. Lots and lots of football players are. The question is if he's trouble -- as in to society, himself, or others. There's nothing on his record to suggest he's dangerous, or even "trouble".

Jerk. Yes. No argument.

Trouble? No. That's letting your assumptions about his character shape a story that is pretty much devoid of facts at the moment.

Well, what just happened certainly counts as "trouble." Whether he did or didn't do any of the beating is beside the point, as Adam Jones will tell you. Pacman was suspended for the entire 2007 season and part of the 2008 season for the "make it rain" incident in which he didn't pull any triggers. He did get nailed for a disorderly charge, and that could be what McCoy is facing. It's unfortunate for him that the guys on the other end of the beating were cops given the way the justice system works.

Edited by dave mcbride

Why would we do that? McCoy has now already cost us the season, become our least likable player and is a jerk for not walking away.

Despite the fact we have NO IDEA what happened - better blame Shady though, the other two guys were *cops*!

Disappointed by the Jump to Conclusions by some fans on TBD...

exactly. wait for the video. the bar clearly will have a video of it. He could have simply been in the wrong place, wrong time.

that said, if your a high profile NFL player, just hold parties at your house with friends. Too many people getting "beer muscles" that will want to start trouble with you.

Well, what just happened certainly counts as "trouble." Whether he did or didn't do any of the beating is beside the point.

Disagree. If he didn't do anything at all and all of this ends up being overblown speculation and inuendo it's still trouble?

Come on, you're reaching. Wait until the facts come out, then pronounce judgement.

No, I am absolutely NOT calling you a racist. But your comment is disturbing. You don't like "cops in general?" How would you feel if another poster said that he or she "didn't like Jews in general?"

I just think it is really weak to lump an entire group together, but proceed as you wish.

I am Jewish and I would be fine with that if they had a good reason. There are Jewish stereotypes that I feel are true and I wouldn't blame anybody for disliking "my group" for it in general.

I have plenty of experience with police officers. On the right side of the law and the wrong side, as well as when I was just a bystander. There is an unusually high amount of behavior exhibited that I find repulsive. Enough of it that I pretty much expect it at this point.

And then when you have to deal with the fact the law is always on their side (despite what the media wants you think), and the hero worship, the dislike becomes more intense.

My comments are less disturbing if you took the time to understand them. I find it disturbing you find my comments disturbing without even knowing the basis behind them.

Exactly. "not liking cops in general" is a stupid comment. There are TONS of cops. Perhaps under 1% of them are "bad." And here, we have no idea of what happened. Perhaps a non-NFL player started the fight. Perhaps the off-duty cops. Just like, I "don't like NFL players in general" because some of them are morons also qualifies as a moronic comment.

I am Jewish and I would be fine with that if they had a good reason. There are Jewish stereotypes that I feel are true and I wouldn't blame anybody for disliking "my group" for it in general.

I have plenty of experience with police officers. On the right side of the law and the wrong side, as well as when I was just a bystander. There is an unusually high amount of behavior exhibited that I find repulsive. Enough of it that I pretty much expect it at this point.

And then when you have to deal with the fact the law is always on their side (despite what the media wants you think), and the hero worship, the dislike becomes more intense.

My comments are less disturbing if you took the time to understand them. I find it disturbing you find my comments disturbing without even knowing the basis behind them.

what is your "plenty of experience" with police officers? If your going to make an inflammatory comment, then back it up.

Disagree. If he didn't do anything at all and all of this ends up being overblown speculation and inuendo it's still trouble?

Come on, you're reaching. Wait until the facts come out, then pronounce judgement.

I'm not saying he'll get convicted, but it is the very definition of "trouble" for the team - i.e., a true headache. As for how these sorts of things transpire, see Pacman Jones (mentioned above). The fact that cops were involved isn't good for him. There's nothing good about it for the Bills, I can tell you that. Whaley loves McCoy and staked a good part of his rep on that deal. Do you think he wants to deal with this BS?? I'm sure he's pissed about this -- he's gonna take a ton of heat that he doesn't need right now.

Edited by dave mcbride

Would you be "racist" to say that you hate all lawyers? IRS employees? car salesmen? lobbyists? union leaders? journalists? DMV clerks?

Of course not. What does the above have to do with race?

It would however make me an ignorant, short sighted a-hole but hey, that is jmo.

Please, do and say as you choose.

I'm not saying he'll get convicted, but it is the very definition of "trouble" for the team - i.e., a true headache. As for how these sorts of things transpire, see Pacman Jones (mentioned above). The fact that cops were involved isn't good for him. There's nothing good about it for the Bills, I can tell you that.

exactly. this is "trouble" because ESPN, and other 24 hour sports outlets need things to talk about. This will be talked about ad nausea, whether Shady did anything wrong or not.

Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, you have skewed your own experience by approaching situations involving police officers with the expectation of repulsive behavior?

Exactly. "not liking cops in general" is a stupid comment. There are TONS of cops. Perhaps under 1% of them are "bad." And here, we have no idea of what happened. Perhaps a non-NFL player started the fight. Perhaps the off-duty cops. Just like, I "don't like NFL players in general" because some of them are morons also qualifies as a moronic comment.

what is your "plenty of experience" with police officers? If your going to make an inflammatory comment, then back it up.

where does this number come from ? I'm sure most are good, but if they were really good people, one or 2 of them might have the balls to stand up and and say... Yeah , he shouldn't have shot that kid that had a toy gun!

The police are not a race of people. The police are men and women, most of them with good intentions, who are public servants, and as such should be open to scrutiny. They are not a private security force. I don't think your correlation is a good one.

I'm not saying he'll get convicted, but it is the very definition of "trouble" for the team - i.e., a true headache. As for how these sorts of things transpire, see Pacman Jones (mentioned above). The fact that cops were involved isn't good for him. There's nothing good about it for the Bills, I can tell you that.

The Bills aren't playing football right now. This isn't a distraction, it's not causing issues in the locker room. And like I said no one knows what actually happened so it's silly to say it's "trouble" for the team when there is nothing conclusive to base that off of.

You're presuming guilt or association because you don't like the guy and think he's a jerk. This isn't close to the paceman incident. No one was arrested. No charges have been filed(yet). No one knows what happened (yet). Which is my point. You're making conclusions without facts.

All I'm saying is you're reaching for a conclusion before we know anything of substance. It might turn out you're 100% right in how this all went down, but until we know for sure it's just speculation.

Under 1%? That's hilarious. Define bad. Surely you don't mean less than 1% are as*holes.

Why do I need to defend the fact that I don't like police officers by backing it up? Why can't I just be entitled to my experiences. Unless I could use telepathy to transport my experiences into your head, there's no point in writing them on a Buffalo Bills board.

exactly. wait for the video. the bar clearly will have a video of it. He could have simply been in the wrong place, wrong time.

that said, if your a high profile NFL player, just hold parties at your house with friends. Too many people getting "beer muscles" that will want to start trouble with you.

Funny thing there. The security cameras inside the bar were "not functional". Gotta remember, the sole purpose of those cameras are to protect the club. In the event there it be something on them that might incriminates the club or even sheds some bad light on it then their footage disappears. In a trial that kind of video can be used to argue something like: the club should have responded to the fight in less time, so they're partially responsible for the injuries.