DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!

The number #1 defense is now 10-2 in the Superbowl with the only losses were last year Seattle lost to New England which was a fluke and the 1982 Dolphins in a Strike shortened year. I get so tired of listening to the "football experts" like the losers on WGR that say this is now a "passing" league. Would you consider either team last night a "passing team". This goes to show you that if Rex can give the Bills the defense we expect We can win this thing.

Edited by bisonbrigade

Before we start getting our hopes up about "hey we have a pretty good defense and a better offense than Denver so maybe we are close" keep in mind that many many other teams have tried this formula without much success. KC, Cincinnati, Houston...the list goes on. I'm here to tell you that defense doesn't win championships. GREAT defenses win championships. Denver's defense is full of bona fide stars. Baltimore was full of stars. Future hall of famers. The only way that formula works is if you have other worldly talent. Von Miller is one of the best OLB's I've ever seen. Has there ever been such a dominant defensive performance from a player in Super Bowl history? Has there ever been a defense that hit the opposing QB as much as Denver this postseason?

Until we have that type of star on defense, this formula will not get it done for us unfortunately. We need a Von Miller or Ray Lewis. Easier said than done right? But the fact remains that we don't have that level of talent and by losing star players like Mario and not adding another star then we are no closer to making this team a contender. Maybe we MIGHT make the playoffs (doubt it) but do we want to be a one and done playoff team like KC or Cincinnati or do we want to win the Super Bowl?

The number #1 defense is now 10-2 in the Superbowl with the only losses were last year Seattle lost to New England which was a fluke and the 1982 Dolphins in a Strike shortened year. I get so tired of listening to the "football experts" like the losers on WGR that say this is now a "passing" league. Would you consider either team last night a "passing team". This goes to show you that if Rex can give the Bills the defense we expect We can win this thing.

I agree to an extent - but I think it IS a passing league and that is why having a great defense matters. You want to stop those elite passers? You better be able to get to them and hit them and do it a majority of the time with 4 picking your times to blitz. If you let the passers in this passing league stand back there with time they will pick you apart and if you have to send 5 and 6 to generate pressure they will get to the match up they like and attack your back end.

I have said in another thread that the quarterbacking that Denver have got this year is the worst from a Superbowl winning team in a very long time. Your defense doesn't just have to be good to support that it has to be outstanding. Denver's D led the league in fewest yards per rush and fewest yards per pass. The first time ever that has been done.

So what about all the other 75% of Superbowls where the winner was one of, if not the best QB in the league?.

How many times has the #1 defense not even made the super bowl?

So what about all the other 75% of Superbowls where the winner was one of, if not the best QB in the league?.

There is more than one way to win a Championship. You don't need an MVP Quarterback. And not all of those 75% had the "best QB in the league". Of course it does not hurt but it is not mandatory.

There is more than one way to win a Championship. You don't need an MVP Quarterback. And not all of those 75% had the "best QB in the league". Of course it does not hurt but it is not mandatory.

Winning and losing QB's since 1990

Mark Rypien

Jim Kelly

Troy Aikman

Jim Kelly

Troy Aikman

Jim Kelly

Steve Young

Stan Humphries

Troy Aikman

Neil O'Donnell

Brett Favre

Drew Bledsoe

John Elway

Brett Favre

John Elway

Chris Chandler

Kurt Warner

Steve McNair

Trent Dilfer

Kerry Collins

Tom Brady

Kurt Warner

Brad Johnson

Rich Gannon

Tom Brady

Jake Delhomme

Tom Brady

Donovan McNabb

Ben Roethlisberger

Matt Hasselbeck

Peyton Manning

Rex Grossman

Eli Manning

Tom Brady

Ben Roethlisberger

Kurt Warner

Drew Brees

Peyton Manning

Aaron Rodgers

Ben Roethlisberger

Eli Manning

Tom Brady

Joe Flacco

Colin Kaepernick

Russell Wilson

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Russell Wilson

Peyton Manning

Cam Newton

22/25 or ~90%

That was my count as well, or stated another way, I can only see three Super Bowl winning QBs in that time that I can say with certainty that will never make the HOF. The others either have made it, will make it, or will recieve very serious consideration.

Edited by Brandon

Actually, the team with the best defense will occasionally pop up and win a Superbowl.

Most of the time any more, it's a team with a very good offense.

Yes, the #1 D is now 10-2 in the Super Bowl. The 2 losses both occurred within the last 6 years (Pit losing to GB and Sea losing to NE).

Actually, the team with the best defense will occasionally pop up and win a Superbowl.

Most of the time any more, it's a team with a very good offense.

Yes, the #1 D is now 10-2 in the Super Bowl. The 2 losses both occurred within the last 6 years (Pit losing to GB and Sea losing to NE).

Teams are built differently. What is known for sure is if your team is built around its defense (exhibited by its cap resources) and you don't utilize the talent properly you diminish your chances for success. The same logic applies to the offense. If you have a very good qb you need a good OL to protect the qb and you need good receivers to get a good return/production from your qb.

The Broncos coaching staff recognized that this particular team's core strength was built around its defense, especially around its pass rush. Even the offense was smartly subordinated to the defense. It stressed field position and not turning the ball over. My point being is that they knew what their team identity was and they played to it.

It was apparent to all, including himself, that Peyton is a shadow of what he once was. But even in this diminished stage of his career he still played smartly. He understood his more limited role and accepted it.

What it comes down to is coaching matters i.e. smart coaching. The Broncos had it and the Bills didn't . The difference between smart coaching and dumb coaching is stark. When you have a coach who is more noted for his bluster and antics than his coaching prowess the outcome is predictable, a team watching the playoffs from its own sofas instead of being participants.

Before we start getting our hopes up about "hey we have a pretty good defense and a better offense than Denver so maybe we are close" keep in mind that many many other teams have tried this formula without much success. KC, Cincinnati, Houston...the list goes on. I'm here to tell you that defense doesn't win championships. GREAT defenses win championships. Denver's defense is full of bona fide stars. Baltimore was full of stars. Future hall of famers. The only way that formula works is if you have other worldly talent. Von Miller is one of the best OLB's I've ever seen. Has there ever been such a dominant defensive performance from a player in Super Bowl history? Has there ever been a defense that hit the opposing QB as much as Denver this postseason?

Until we have that type of star on defense, this formula will not get it done for us unfortunately. We need a Von Miller or Ray Lewis. Easier said than done right? But the fact remains that we don't have that level of talent and by losing star players like Mario and not adding another star then we are no closer to making this team a contender. Maybe we MIGHT make the playoffs (doubt it) but do we want to be a one and done playoff team like KC or Cincinnati or do we want to win the Super Bowl?

Offense wins Division Championships. Defense wins Super Bowls??? It is interesting to notice trends in professional sports. In the NBA, GS, San Antonio, even Miami with Lebron have broken from traditional formulas for championship runs. In the NFL, the rule changes are meant to incline teams toward passing offenses, but it appears that Denver and Carolina are a correction in the trend. I think that NE and Seattle both fit that mold as well. Those Super Bowls came down to defense, too.

As far as Buffalo is concerned, it does look like our regressive choice of coach (defense/run oriented in a passing league) may turn out to be a "ahead of the curve" choice for coach! Whaley's a genius for thinking so far ahead of the curve!!!

Teams are built differently. What is known for sure is if your team is built around its defense (exhibited by its cap resources) and you don't utilize the talent properly you diminish your chances for success. The same logic applies to the offense. If you have a very good qb you need a good OL to protect the qb and you need good receivers to get a good return/production from your qb.

The Broncos coaching staff recognized that this particular team's core strength was built around its defense, especially around its pass rush. Even the offense was smartly subordinated to the defense. It stressed field position and not turning the ball over. My point being is that they knew what their team identity was and they played to it.

It was apparent to all, including himself, that Peyton is a shadow of what he once was. But even in this diminished stage of his career he still played smartly. He understood his more limited role and accepted it.

What it comes down to is coaching matters i.e. smart coaching. The Broncos had it and the Bills didn't . The difference between smart coaching and dumb coaching is stark. When you have a coach who is more noted for his bluster and antics than his coaching prowess the outcome is predictable, a team watching the playoffs from its own sofas instead of being participants.

I think we have to be careful about judging coaching. A couple years ago, Kubiak was chopped liver. His teams in Houston were inconsistent, etc. The success of coaching isn't built on novel concepts or genius. All these coaches are pretty smart guys. The coach who can get his team to execute his philosophy/plan most consistently is the guy who wins. A lot of the time, that will come down to some extra special performances (see Von Miller in the AFC Championship and Super Bowl) or some freak bounces (like fumbles in the SB). You can't capture that "magic" in a bottle, so the coach who moves forward with consistency and the organization which values continuity will be most inclined toward success. Less waste will be expended on changes along the way. More energy can be invested in the finer details which the coach notices, but cannot communicate to players due to limited practices, etc. Buffalo will begin to reap more benefit from our coaching staff in the coming year. I would be shocked if we do not have a top 10 offense AND defense this coming year.

I think we have to be careful about judging coaching. A couple years ago, Kubiak was chopped liver. His teams in Houston were inconsistent, etc. The success of coaching isn't built on novel concepts or genius. All these coaches are pretty smart guys. The coach who can get his team to execute his philosophy/plan most consistently is the guy who wins. A lot of the time, that will come down to some extra special performances (see Von Miller in the AFC Championship and Super Bowl) or some freak bounces (like fumbles in the SB). You can't capture that "magic" in a bottle, so the coach who moves forward with consistency and the organization which values continuity will be most inclined toward success. Less waste will be expended on changes along the way. More energy can be invested in the finer details which the coach notices, but cannot communicate to players due to limited practices, etc. Buffalo will begin to reap more benefit from our coaching staff in the coming year. I would be shocked if we do not have a top 10 offense AND defense this coming year.

Before coming to Buffalo Rex Ryan had a six year stint in NY. He had a losing record. His last year there he coached a four win team. His first year in Buffalo was less than stellar. It is not unreasonable to say that the team underachieved. I have enough information to make a a fair judgment. The coach the Bills hired is the coach they got. That is very disappointing. .

In Texas there is a saying regarding flamboyant talkers who don't produce: Big hat-- No cattle!

There are pretty much two ways to win a championship. A fantastic offense (with just enough D) or a dominant D (with just enough O.) You're not winning being pretty good on both sides of the ball. Given that to have a fantastic offense you pretty much need a HoF type QB the only way to win without that QB is with a dominant D. Until the Bills get that upper echelon QB they need to keep building their team based on D. It's the only chance they have.

There are pretty much two ways to win a championship. A fantastic offense (with just enough D) or a dominant D (with just enough O.) You're not winning being pretty good on both sides of the ball. Given that to have a fantastic offense you pretty much need a HoF type QB the only way to win without that QB is with a dominant D. Until the Bills get that upper echelon QB they need to keep building their team based on D. It's the only chance they have.

Except that Baltimore won the Superbowl in '12-'13 by being solid on both sides without being spectacular on either. They were 10th in offense (both yards and scoring) and 12th in scoring defense (17th in yards allowed)

The real pretending is pretending the Bills talent on defense is in the same area code as the talent on the Denver defense. Just as far away, as Tyrod is from Brady.

You can only say that one factor wins championships if you can control for all the other variables and then do the applicable statistical analysis for signficance. Since this is impossible, the argument is moot.

These simplistic arguments like "defense wins championships" or "you need a franchise QB to win" or whatever "fill in the blank" you want are pointless and fruitless arguments best left for people with nothing better to do with their lives.

The best you can say is that defense, offense and special teams are important. How do you like that as another useless topic? Maybe someone will start another thread about it?

The #1 offense has been in 23 Superbowls compared to 12 for the #1 defense. I'll take that all day.

Except that Baltimore won the Superbowl in '12-'13 by being solid on both sides without being spectacular on either. They were 10th in offense (both yards and scoring) and 12th in scoring defense (17th in yards allowed)

True, but there is the Flacco factor at work there. You know, the mathematical equation which states hes a bottom rung QB during the regular seasn but a fist ballot HoFer during the playoffs.

Edited by MDH

If next year the Bills had the choice of Brady, Rothesberger, Newton, or Rodgers as their QB, OR the number 1 defense, which would you choose?

The number 1 defense. Because that would likely mean they'd be even better than the Broncos, who were in the top 10 all time this year. Top 10 all time defense - I like my Super Bowl chances.

Edited by Georgia Bill

?

The edge rushers Ware and Miller are superior, and the Denver LBs are better, It is also debatable our corners are as good. JMO

Not to mention the enormous advantage the Broncos have at Defensive Coordinator.

Agree but I dont have much confidence in Rex after being a Bills Giants and jets fan for over 16 years.Especially after last season, and if Mario Williams goes to NE.....well im gonna be pissed. and we can mark 2 losses off the bat again before the season starts cuz Supa will play with a vengeance.

Before coming to Buffalo Rex Ryan had a six year stint in NY. He had a losing record. His last year there he coached a four win team. His first year in Buffalo was less than stellar. It is not unreasonable to say that the team underachieved. I have enough information to make a a fair judgment. The coach the Bills hired is the coach they got. That is very disappointing. .

In Texas there is a saying regarding flamboyant talkers who don't produce: Big hat-- No cattle!

Ima Bills, Giants and jets fan. as soon as I heard the news i was pissed and totally void of hope. then I saw the off season moves and Tyrod and got hope.....then week 1.....then week 2....then week 3...then after the Giants game and players complaining about the scheme i was like !@#$. same old rex bull **** were done until hes fired.

The real pretending is pretending the Bills talent on defense is in the same area code as the talent on the Denver defense. Just as far away, as Tyrod is from Brady.

Agree with what your saying but statistically Tyrod had a better 1st starting year with a worse team then Brady did with a Pats* team full of stars.(look it up). unfortunately Buffalo isnt Boston and we dont cheat or have an extremely professional football system or a competent HC/DC.

If next year the Bills had the choice of Brady, Rothesberger, Newton, or Rodgers as their QB, OR the number 1 defense, which would you choose?

#1 defense. EASY choice.

?

The edge rushers Ware and Miller are superior, and the Denver LBs are better, It is also debatable our corners are as good. JMO

They are much better coached. the LBs and Safteys are leagues above ours, and their Robey is better then ours. and I like our Robey he just had an down season.

Considering the chances of the #1 defense not even making it to the superbowl, versus the likelihood of doing so with one of the elite QBs, I would without thinking twice, choose Rodgers.

Great defences do win superbowls, just a pity our brain trust saw the wisdom of trying to do it on offence last year, and what did it get us 8/8. What if we spent resources getting a stud linebacker in free agency not a running back in McCoy, another dominant stud in the secondary not Charles Clay, another dominant linesman not Percy Harvin. My opinion is that we would be no worse than 8/8, but would have had the nucleus of a championship calibre defense.

Not Rex's defense. I think if we kept Schwartz's D we could have gone toe to toe with Denver and won the AFC East.

Defense over Brady, he's getting old. I'd take Ben, Newton or Rodgers with our O and the #2 D.