2016 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class Announced

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DeBartolo was overdue, and Harrison should have been a 1st time ballot.

Favre was obvious, and Pace makes a lot of sense.

Dungy could have waited longer. Maybe a lot longer.

Greene?! Really?! I'm sorry, I know he has a high number of sacks, I just don't think he was Hall of Fame worthy.

Warner & Owens not making it in, is ridiculous.

The NFL hof consists mainly of good players- not great ones. MLB takes only the greats in Cooperstown

Except for one of the greatest in Pete Rose. I don't give a fvck about his gambling. The HOF is for what they accomplished on the field. If you are going to keep Rose out then Ty Cobb should have never gotten in either..

Greene?! Really?! I'm sorry, I know he has a high number of sacks, I just don't think he was Hall of Fame worthy.

Greene was a very good player but I never remember thinking he was a dominant force...

Agree with what has been said. Coryell and TO over Harrison and Dungy for me.

I can understand why Warner didn't make it this year with a QB who was a sure fire first ballot guy.... but his wait should end in 2017. I understand him not being forst ballot, I understand them not putting him in the same year as Favre but he should wait no longer. Kurt Warner is a HoF QB and he should go in next year.

Dungy is the only HC in NFL history to make the playoffs 10 years in a row. Neither Tom Landry, John Madden, Chuck Noll, Bill Parcells, Don Shula, Bill Walsh, nor any other HOF coach accomplished that. And he did it with two different teams - in both cases taking losing teams and transforming them into perennial winners. Dungy's record as a leader deserves HOF recognition.

But Coryell changed football forever. His "Air Coryell" - later packaged as the "West Coast offense" - dramatically changed offensive and, indirectly, defensive football. All the nickel and dime defenses of today are a reaction to Coryell innovations. Anyone who knows NFL history knows Coryell deserves a bust in the HOF not so much for his W-L record but for his impact on the game.

Yet thinking back to Major's point - that the HOF if full of good but not great players - I really think the NFL needs to limit the number of folks who get inducted each year. I worry that 8 is already too many.

That was my first thought on Dungy, but it occurred to me how much the NFL loves this guy. He's a good guy ambassador for the league, first black coach win Super Bowl and whatever else, etc. In retrospect that one should have been obvious.

Agreed about Greene. He seems like a perfect HOVG candidate to me.

2016 HOF class: Edward DeBartolo, Kevin Greene, Marvin Harrison, Brett Favre, Ken Stabler, Orlando Pace, Dick Stanfel, Tony Dungy.

What an lame group in total, minus Favre and Stabler (obvious choices).

Bartolo?? The guy is a convicted felon who was suspended by the NFL for involvement in a gaming scheme.

Harrison ahead of TO? That's a laugh. Harrison spent his career with Manning. TO's most prolific connection was with Jeff Garcia--and TO had far more TDs. Harrison likely shot at least one person.

Tony Dungy....forget ahead of Coryell, how about AT ALL? What did Dungy get in for? Squandering talented rosters in Indy to the tune of the worst playoff coaching record ever? ONE SB appearance. 9-10 playoff record (with what will be 5 HOF nominees on offense in Indy). His teams were often ill prepared in the playoffs and he had 4 "one and dones" in 7 appearances with Indy. Over an actual coach and innovator like Coryell? A bad joke.

Crazy.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Weo, I told you TO wasn't getting in this year. I was wrong on Faneca, so 4 for 5. I did pick Stabler but missed on Dungy. i love Dungy and he lives near me. He really is the nice guy he portrays on TV. One of my best friends attends the same church, and he even is out there directing traffic with his reflector vest on as humble as they come.

I'm very happy for him, and for the class. I'm sure TO will get in next year, as well as Lynch i hope.

What an lame group in total, minus Favre and Stabler (obvious choices).

Bartolo?? The guy is a convicted felon who was suspended by the NFL for involvement in a gaming scheme.

Harrison ahead of TO? That's a laugh. Harrison spent his career with Manning. TO's most prolific connection was with Jeff Garcia--and TO had far more TDs. Harrison likely shot at least one person.

Tony Dungy....forget ahead of Coryell, how about AT ALL? What did Dungy get in for? Squandering talented rosters in Indy to the tune of the worst playoff coaching record ever? ONE SB appearance. 9-10 playoff record (with what will be 5 HOF nominees on offense in Indy). His teams were often ill prepared in the playoffs and he had 4 "one and dones" in 7 appearances with Indy. Over an actual coach and innovator like Coryell? A bad joke.

Crazy.

I agree that Coryell ought to get in over Dungy.

But I do think Dungy deserves enshrinement.

Regards to his playoff losses. Bad coaches don't get to the playoffs. Good coaches do get to the playoffs. And all but one of those 12 good coaches will end their season with a loss. One of the reasons Dungy has so many playoff losses is because he was good enough to get to the playoffs every year. That's rare.

Regards to his HOF players. This is a tough one. Good players get their coaches into the HOF. At the same time, good coaches get their players into the HOF. Which is going on here? Maybe a little of both???

I agree that Coryell ought to get in over Dungy.

But I do think Dungy deserves enshrinement.

Regards to his playoff losses. Bad coaches don't get to the playoffs. Good coaches do get to the playoffs. And all but one of those 12 good coaches will end their season with a loss. One of the reasons Dungy has so many playoff losses is because he was good enough to get to the playoffs every year. That's rare.

Regards to his HOF players. This is a tough one. Good players get their coaches into the HOF. At the same time, good coaches get their players into the HOF. Which is going on here? Maybe a little of both???

No. Jim Caldwell got the same team to the SB.

Dungy got in because he is the only black HC to win a SB.

No objections to Dungy getting in if Marv Levy is in.

Marv went to 4 straight SBs. Dungy barely made it to one, with a loaded offense and some star talent on D. It's not even comparable, the playoff record between the 2. Dungy wasted so many playoffs.

Mike Martz should have gotten in before Dungy.

Marv went to 4 straight SBs. Dungy barely made it to one, with a loaded offense and some star talent on D. It's not even comparable, the playoff record between the 2. Dungy wasted so many playoffs.

Mike Martz should have gotten in before Dungy.

Martz before Dungy lol

The NFL hof consists mainly of good players- not great ones. MLB takes only the greats in Cooperstown

I lean that way too. Less is more for these elite clubs. Otherwise, they aren't elite.

I agree with you on DeBartolo, Harrison and Favre. I don't think Dungy should be in, but, don't have a strong opinion on it. I don't think Warner should be in either. Greene probably not. TO will get in and should.

Dungy over Coryell is not right either.

Agree

Agree with what has been said. Coryell and TO over Harrison and Dungy for me.

I can understand why Warner didn't make it this year with a QB who was a sure fire first ballot guy.... but his wait should end in 2017. I understand him not being forst ballot, I understand them not putting him in the same year as Favre but he should wait no longer. Kurt Warner is a HoF QB and he should go in next year.

The tough part I have with Warner is he was a backup on multiple teams. How is that elite or HOF worthy?

No objections to Dungy getting in if Marv Levy is in.

Disagree. The two have some similarities. But, you can't compare them.

The tough part I have with Warner is he was a backup on multiple teams. How is that elite or HoF worthy?

For me there are a few things.

1. It isn't called the Hall of Great. It is called the Hall of Fame. The QB who went from bagging groceries to Superbowl and NFL MVP is one of the most famous NFL stories of the last 20 years. It is like the people who say "why is Marv there his team never won the big one" the Bills story of getting to 4 in a row is famous.

2. He played for 3 NFL teams and was never only a backup on any of them. He starred when his chance came in St Louis, was used purely as a bridge guy in New York for Eli and then went to Arizona as a backup but won the job pretty quickly.

3. The three highest passing yardage numbers in Superbowl history? All Kurt Warner's.

4. He took the Rams and the Cardinals to the Superbowl. The Rams and the Cardinals. His play brought hope to previously moribund franchises.

As I say - first ballot guy? No the mid career slump at the end in St Louis and the year in New York put paid to that. In ahead of Favre? No, clearly not. But a guy who belongs in the Hall? 100%.

1. It isn't called the Hall of Great. It is called the Hall of Fame. The QB who went from bagging groceries to Superbowl and NFL MVP is one of the most famous NFL stories of the last 20 years. It is like the people who say "why is Marv there his team never won the big one" the Bills story of getting to 4 in a row is famous.

2. He played for 3 NFL teams and was never only a backup on any of them. He starred when his chance came in St Louis, was used purely as a bridge guy in New York for Eli and then went to Arizona as a backup but won the job pretty quickly.

3. The three highest passing yardage numbers in Superbowl history? All Kurt Warner's.

4. He took the Rams and the Cardinals to the Superbowl. The Rams and the Cardinals. His play brought hope to previously moribund franchises.

As I say - first ballot guy? No the mid career slump at the end in St Louis and the year in New York put paid to that. In ahead of Favre? No, clearly not. But a guy who belongs in the Hall? 100%.

On your first point, agree to disagree, I have never heard anyone say the HoF is for famous people. Just don't believe that or there would be different standards to get in?

Secondly, I am not against him getting in. Just don't have a final opinion on Warner.

Lastly, a question... I thought Warner lost his starting job in St. Louis before they parted ways? I also believe he lost his job with the Giants before they planned to start Eli (prematurely than the teams plan, imo) because Warner was playing poorly. Those were the two times I believed he was a backup.

On your first point, agree to disagree, I have never heard anyone say the HoF is for famous people. Just don't believe that or there would be different standards to get in?

Secondly, I am not against him getting in. Just don't have a final opinion on Warner.

Lastly, a question... I thought Warner lost his starting job in St. Louis before they parted ways? I also believe he lost his job with the Giants before they planned to start Eli (prematurely than the teams plan, imo) because Warner was playing poorly. Those were the two times I believed he was a backup.

You mean other than leading 2 moribund franchises tot eh SB and winning one for STL? Like playing in back to back SBs (3 total) and being named SB MVP? Like setting regular season and playoff records?

So what if the Rams benched him....5 years later he would have another record setting season and lead another perennially crappy team to the SB.

Martz before Dungy lol

Martz created one of the most potent offenses in NFL history using a guy off the street as QB and helped get them to 2 SBs and win one. He created a top 7 offense with John Kitna in Detroit.

Dungy is known for being Peyton Manning's HC..a guy who squeezed a single SB out of a HOF offense and who's defenses were often lackluster (despite his being a defensive coach by trade). His playoff record was bad.

You have surely heard people say - "can you write the story without them?" If you are writing the story of the early 90s NFL you can't write it without Marv Levy's Bills and that is why he deserves to be there more than some other Head Coaches who may have got there once and won a ring. If you are writing the story of the early 00s NFL you can't write it without the story of the Quarterback who went from bagging groceries to league and Superbowl MVP. That is what I mean by Hall of Fame and not Hall of Great. It is about more than stats for me. It is about impact and story as well as stats and when you stack those factors up with Kurt Warner he belongs in the HoF.

EDIT: Also the Giants were 5-4 when they benched Warner (62% passing, 6 TDs 4INTs - not great but far from terrible) for Manning. That benching was all about them wanting to get Manning on the field they went 1-6 down the stretch and Eli was awful.... they never went back to Kurt because they didn't care about winning that season... it was a season about getting Eli experience.

Edited by GunnerBill

The bar for coaches has seemingly been set at winning at least one or appearing in multiple championship games. Coryell may never get in given that threshold. Sid Gillman seems to be the modern day exception and when I look at that Gillman tree, it's amazing. But as much as we want to credit Coryell for "innovation", I think the voters already gave that credit to Gillman.

GO BILLS!!!

You mean other than leading 2 moribund franchises tot eh SB and winning one for STL? Like playing in back to back SBs (3 total) and being named SB MVP? Like setting regular season and playoff records?

So what if the Rams benched him....5 years later he would have another record setting season and lead another perennially crappy team to the SB.

Martz created one of the most potent offenses in NFL history using a guy off the street as QB and helped get them to 2 SBs and win one. He created a top 7 offense with John Kitna in Detroit.

Dungy is known for being Peyton Manning's HC..a guy who squeezed a single SB out of a HOF offense and who's defenses were often lackluster (despite his being a defensive coach by trade). His playoff record was bad.

Martz also blew a Super Bowl by passing too much instead of feeding the ball to Marshall Faulk. Martz is not HOF worthy and will NEVER get in!

I've been beating the drum for a while when it comes to Warner and the HOF, IMO I think he clearly belongs. Some food for thought:

2nd all time in Super Bowl passing yards / 8th all time in Super Bowl passer rating

8th all time in Playoff passing yards / 6th all time in playoff passing TDs / 2nd all time in Playoff passer rating

2 time NFL MVP

Player A: 12 seasons / career record of 67-49 (58% winning %) / 65% completion / 32,344 yards / 208 TDs / 128 picks / 93.7 passer rating

Player B: 12 seasons / career record of 94-71 (57% winning %) / 62% completion / 32,943 yards / 165 TDs / 141 picks / 81.6 passer rating

Player A is Warner / Player B is Troy Aikman