Marquise Goodwin - Olympics focused again

YoloinOhio

@mikerodak

Bills WR Marquise Goodwin says he will try to qualify for summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. If he makes it, he will discuss with team possibility of missing time in training camp.

Wonder if he's even back. I forgot about him. And I like the guy.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@mikerodak

Bills WR Marquise Goodwin says he will try to qualify for summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. If he makes it, he will discuss with team possibility of missing time in training camp.

I was criticized for saying this before, but IMHO Marquise should do One Thing Well.

At a lower level, kids can and should pursue multiple interests. But when one gets to the elite level, one is competing with guys who are all-in, giving 100% 100% of the time. In this day and age, it usually doesn't work out.

As it stands, Marquise current level of dedication to football is not-quite-quite. His hands aren't where they need to be, his route running is improved but not all there, he can get jammed on the line too easily. He needs to take a step. He may need to carry a bit more muscle bulk. He may need a training regime in the off-season that is more focused on football.

As it stands, Marquise is just short of competitive at the World level on the long jump. Getting injured every football season can not be helping him. And the training to take a step as a WR may not be the training he needs to take a step as an elite long jumper

Pick a sport and focus. "All it Takes is All You Got". Or maybe more than you got, but give it all you got and see.

Make Goodwin a reserve player. We always need 4-5 extra WRs due to injury. Let him come in midway in the season.

I doubt he is eligible for the practice squad anyone, so he would have to take a roster spot, which is ok I guess. Little guy, not sure he can hold up in the NFL.

I like Marquise but he needs to be cut. The Bills are basically financing his Olympic try outs and getting nothing in return. Watching him post videos on FB of him long jumping while on IR got pretty annoying.

He was long jumping all off-season last year too. Too bad he didn't try and get ready for football by putting on some muscle and running game routes. He treats track like his job and football like he hobby. Probably why he's always hurt. Cut him please

He was long jumping all off-season last year too. Too bad he didn't try and get ready for football by putting on some muscle and running game routes. He treats track like his job and football like he hobby. Probably why he's always hurt. Cut him please

But that's not right either, kdiggz - if he treated track like his job, he wouldn't let himself continually get dinged up playing contact sports.

The truth is he's "lukewarm" at both, failing to give either his All at a level where his more successful competitors are giving it their All, 100% of the time.

Either or Not Both Goodwin.

But that's not right either, kdiggz - if he treated track like his job, he wouldn't let himself continually get dinged up playing contact sports.

The truth is he's "lukewarm" at both, failing to give either his All at a level where his more successful competitors are giving it their All, 100% of the time.

Either or Not Both Goodwin.

never-half-ass-two-things-whole-ass-one-

Unlike some, I don't consider Goodwin a complete bust because when he has been able to get on the field, he has produced reasonably well and opens things up for the offense. However, his selection in the third round encapsulates everything that has been wrong with the Bills' front office for the past 20 years. Goodwin is a very talented athlete, but had not been highly productive at Texas, despite having a few big games. At the time the Bills picked Goodwin, Markus Wheaton (WR, Oregon State) was still on the board. Wheaton is a little bigger than Goodwin and only marginally slower (He once beat D'Anthony Thomas in the 100 yard dash in a PAC 12 track meet.) The difference is that Wheaton was a tremendously productive WR as a three-year starter at Oregon State against the highest level of competition, and he is tough as nails, AFIK never missing a game in college.

But the Bills decided to outsmart themselves and picked a flashy athlete who they thought had a higher upside over a fabulously productive FOOTBALL PLAYER. The Steelers selected Wheaton with the very next selection. He is their slot receiver and, as in college, he has been highly productive--750 yards receiving this year, 5 TDs and averages over 17 YPC. If the Steelers didn't have Martavis Bryant as their number 2 guy, Wheaton's numbers would look even better. Another missed opportunity.

I like Marquise but he needs to be cut. The Bills are basically financing his Olympic try outs and getting nothing in return. Watching him post videos on FB of him long jumping while on IR got pretty annoying.

This. Great guy (see story with his sister), but we can't afford to keep a guy who is hurt every time he touches the ball, just can't do it. Look who we were forced to play at WR last week. You can't have guys that are so injury prone taking up spots, much less two of them (Harvin).

Unlike some, I don't consider Goodwin a complete bust because when he has been able to get on the field, he has produced reasonably well and opens things up for the offense. However, his selection in the third round encapsulates everything that has been wrong with the Bills' front office for the past 20 years. Goodwin is a very talented athlete, but had not been highly productive at Texas, despite having a few big games. At the time the Bills picked Goodwin, Markus Wheaton (WR, Oregon State) was still on the board. Wheaton is a little bigger than Goodwin and only marginally slower (He once beat D'Anthony Thomas in the 100 yard dash in a PAC 12 track meet.) The difference is that Wheaton was a tremendously productive WR as a three-year starter at Oregon State against the highest level of competition, and he is tough as nails, AFIK never missing a game in college.

But the Bills decided to outsmart themselves and picked a flashy athlete who they thought had a higher upside over a fabulously productive FOOTBALL PLAYER. The Steelers selected Wheaton with the very next selection. He is their slot receiver and, as in college, he has been highly productive--750 yards receiving this year, 5 TDs and averages over 17 YPC. If the Steelers didn't have Martavis Bryant as their number 2 guy, Wheaton's numbers would look even better. Another missed opportunity.

Not just Wheaton, there were a lot of good players who were left when the Bills drafted Goodwin. It gets even worse when you look a bit further back and see who was there when we drafted Graham.

As other posters have said, Whaley may have been in the "Kirk Chair" but I think Goodwin is a major argument that Nix still had major input into building the 2013 draft board.

Nix had a pattern of over-valuing speed (Goodwin, Graham, Spiller)

• 3 weeks later...

Aside from not really becoming much of a factor for the Bills, I must say I'm impressed. #2 in the world? I'm not counting on him on this team really at all so - I am hoping to root for him at the olympics. The NFL didn't work out but he seems like a good person and obviously a very gifted athlete.

Aside from not really becoming much of a factor for the Bills, I must say I'm impressed. #2 in the world? I'm not counting on him on this team really at all so - I am hoping to root for him at the olympics. The NFL didn't work out but he seems like a good person and obviously a very gifted athlete.

Yolo, I think that 7.9 m jump is #2 in the world *this year*, meaning 2016, and the year is very young. So not that impressive, but..

The gold medalist at the 2015 world championships, a Brit, jumped 8.4 m. Goodwin's P.B, jump at the 2012 US Olympic trials was 8.33 m, and he won a silver medal at the 2015 Pan Am games with 8.27 m, which would have put him 2nd at the 2015 Worlds. So at his best, Goodwin is still one of the top jumpers in the world.

I still think he needs to make up his mind. Football, or Track. Either or, not Both. For football, he should be refiining his catching abilities a la Larry Fitzgerald and studying how to get off the line and avoid being jammed, possibly bulking up his upper body a bit. For track, he needs to take a step to rise to the top. He's close, but not consistently.

The $2M the Bills have paid him, well-invested, ought to keep his sister cared for and allow him to pursue his track career without financial worries.

Edited by Hopeful

I was criticized for saying this before, but IMHO Marquise should do One Thing Well.

At a lower level, kids can and should pursue multiple interests. But when one gets to the elite level, one is competing with guys who are all-in, giving 100% 100% of the time. In this day and age, it usually doesn't work out.

As it stands, Marquise current level of dedication to football is not-quite-quite. His hands aren't where they need to be, his route running is improved but not all there, he can get jammed on the line too easily. He needs to take a step. He may need to carry a bit more muscle bulk. He may need a training regime in the off-season that is more focused on football.

As it stands, Marquise is just short of competitive at the World level on the long jump. Getting injured every football season can not be helping him. And the training to take a step as a WR may not be the training he needs to take a step as an elite long jumper

Pick a sport and focus. "All it Takes is All You Got". Or maybe more than you got, but give it all you got and see.

I honestly don't think Goodwin has the frame to carry much more bulk...he has a slight build...

As a track coach and former college track athlete, many of my kids are football players and most of my sprinter and jumper teammates were football players as well. The offseason training for football is very similar training to what track workouts are for sprinters, with a bit more focus of lifting. So in theory, it is entirely possible for an NFL player to compete in a few meets at a high level while maintaining his NFL fitness and skill work.

That said, the athletic body can only tolerate so much high intensity wear and tear in a calendar year. So, that explains why Flash is broken by the second practice of camp.

@mikerodak

I do too, YoloinOhiio, he is a speedy-good deep threat. Hope he gets back in there and stays healthy

Yolo, I think that 7.9 m jump is #2 in the world *this year*, meaning 2016, and the year is very young. So not that impressive, but..

The gold medalist at the 2015 world championships, a Brit, jumped 8.4 m. Goodwin's P.B, jump at the 2012 US Olympic trials was 8.33 m, and he won a silver medal at the 2015 Pan Am games with 8.27 m, which would have put him 2nd at the 2015 Worlds. So at his best, Goodwin is still one of the top jumpers in the world.

I still think he needs to make up his mind. Football, or Track. Either or, not Both. For football, he should be refiining his catching abilities a la Larry Fitzgerald and studying how to get off the line and avoid being jammed, possibly bulking up his upper body a bit. For track, he needs to take a step to rise to the top. He's close, but not consistently.

The $2M the Bills have paid him, well-invested, ought to keep his sister cared for and allow him to pursue his track career without financial worries.

i'm sure you know this, but he's only able to stay in track because the long jump has become such a weak event.

it's a long way from the days of powell and lewis.

It is true. I can't think of another event where the world records are so far back in the past. Any idea why? Better drug tests?

less competition, less focus, it's boring.

the pole vault is more alluring, for example.

anyone i knew in college - which was only 4 that were any decent - that did long jump all came from canada, oddly. from 3 different MAC schools.

It is true. I can't think of another event where the world records are so far back in the past. Any idea why? Better drug tests?

Biggest reason is that the best jumpers are generally the best sprinters, and few of them attempt that double any more. The training is so focused and specialized it's just really hard to do both. And of course, there is no money/glamour at all in the horizontal jumps compared to sprinting. The best kids give it up early.

Biggest reason is that the best jumpers are generally the best sprinters, and few of them attempt that double any more. The training is so focused and specialized it's just really hard to do both. And of course, there is no money/glamour at all in the horizontal jumps compared to sprinting. The best kids give it up early.

So the training is so specialized now it's hard to both sprint and jump, but Goodwin is trying to play WR and jump?

We really SHOULD help him out by cutting him.