Marquise Goodwin - Olympics focused again

YoloinOhio

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha...yeah i guess. i was more referring to the 100, but yeah, it's time for the guy to produce or move on, i agree with that.

the fact that he can make an international team just training for football tells you all you need to know about the long jump these days.

...though having said that, it would be really cool for the entire planet to watch "Marquise Goodwin wide receiver for the Buffalo Bills of the NFL" at the next Olympics. He has a chance to medal and it would be some very cool publicity for the Bills.

then he can report to camp and get cut if need be...

I'm gonna differ with Boyst a little here. When Powell was at his best, he was so inconsistent that he'd go low 8's frequently and the pop off a high 8 once every blue moon. Lewis was more consistent, but when powell won worlds in 93, 8.16 was the silver medal. Typically over the past 25 years 8.3m has been good enough to medal. The only difference is you don't have the Lewis or Powell capable of the 8.80 or 8.90 jumps.

That said, the Bills are subsidizing an Olympic athlete effectively, and Goodwin has to be the highest paid long jumper in the world.

I'm gonna differ with Boyst a little here. When Powell was at his best, he was so inconsistent that he'd go low 8's frequently and the pop off a high 8 once every blue moon. Lewis was more consistent, but when powell won worlds in 93, 8.16 was the silver medal. Typically over the past 25 years 8.3m has been good enough to medal. The only difference is you don't have the Lewis or Powell capable of the 8.80 or 8.90 jumps.

That said, the Bills are subsidizing an Olympic athlete effectively, and Goodwin has to be the highest paid long jumper in the world.

If only was an effective WR..

I know he's been injury prone but I don't know why anyone would make the decision to cut him right now.

Let's bring Goodwin to camp and see how he does in comparison to the other guys we bring in. His shortcomings may turn out to be less than some of the other guys we bring in, especially if we get a rash of injuries again.

There's enough to him that I think it makes sense to let him compete for a roster spot. Though it wouldn't surprise - or dismay - me if he didn't make the squad this year.

I know he's been injury prone but I don't know why anyone would make the decision to cut him right now.

Let's bring Goodwin to camp and see how he does in comparison to the other guys we bring in. His shortcomings may turn out to be less than some of the other guys we bring in, especially if we get a rash of injuries again.

There's enough to him that I think it makes sense to let him compete for a roster spot. Though it wouldn't surprise - or dismay - me if he didn't make the squad this year.

Because he doesn't want it.

Doesn't this describe what happened this season?

Flash makes $675K next season , he's worth the risk at that price compared to Percy's high price risk. jmo at least till the final cutdown

Neither are worth the risk. Neither are worth the money. Neither will be with the team next season.

Speed kills, I guess....

Edited by HoF Watkins

Glass is a great talent. Not just a guy who can run a 9 route.......he really has dynamic movement skills as well as speed.

He's just raw as a receiver from not working on his game and soft from not building up his body for NFL contact.

He's basically played the Bills and their fans for fools with his half-hearted approach to being an NFL WR so I wish him the worst of luck and hope he crashes and burns in his trials..........then realizes it's time to grow up and start doing the job he's paid to do.

It's his walk year so anything is possible.

Erm, because he doesn't want to come to training camp?

USATF Trials: July 1-10

Olympics (Rio): August 5 - Aug 21

Training camp (typically) July 31 - early September

So if he's on a plane to Rio, how we gonna "bring him to camp and see how he does"? He can't compete for a roster spot if he's not there.

The main shortcomings I see to Goodwin is "not available when you need him". 12 games rookie year, 10 games 2nd year, 2 games 3rd year. That isn't something you can necessarily compare against a guy in camp.

His ~$0.7M salary would allow us to sign a vet FA 'sleeper', or one of our rookies.

Edited by Hopeful

That's what it seems to have come down to. He sold himself in the draft as "a football player and a track athlete, not a track athlete who plays football". But he's more the latter.

That's right and for lying to the team and the fans like that he deserves no love.

• 4 weeks later...

Flash makes $675K next season , he's worth the risk at that price compared to Percy's high price risk. jmo at least till the final cutdown

Except that Harvin has shown that when he's healthy and focused, he's a very, very explosive WR and a legitimate #2 if not co-#1. Goodwin hasn't really shown anything so far in his career.

I don't share the negativity toward Goodwin that my brother Bills fans seem to have.

I wish him well in his Olympic pursuits. I hope he medals.

If he comes back to the Bills after his long jumping stuff and fails to earn a roster spot because he was too focused on long jumping, so be it. I don't blame the guy for wanting to represent his country and pursue Olympic glory.

On the other hand, if he earns a roster spot with the Bills again, I'll cheer for him as hard as I cheer for any other Bill.

Goodwin is a Pro bowl type player. By that I mean if every game was like the Pro Bowl he would be fine because he wouldn't get hurt.

If every game was like the Pro Bowl he wouldn't get the ball because Tyrod would be throwing it to the other team:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/31/tyrod-taylor-throws-three-interceptions-in-pro-bowl-debut/

Edited by kdiggz