Robert Woods

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a time a while back when we wish we would have him at #1. Just saying

I'm a big fan of Woody, love what he brings to the offense when he's healthy and while I think he's gotten unfair heat this season no one thought he was a true #1 WR. He's a good #2 guy, probably a great #3 guy on an NFL club with two big bodied WRs ahead of him, but he's not a #1.

I'm hoping next year's WR group looks something like:

1: Sammy

2: UFA / NFL vet (dream scenario would be someone like Jeffery but he'll be too pricey)

3: Woods

4: Draft pick / Dez / Hogan / Cheaper UFA like Randle/Sanu... the UFA WR list is pretty weak this year so those guys might be too pricey as well.

Comparable to Josh Reed as far as overall impact goes. OK to have around as depth I guess,but I don't think he sees another contract.

It's a good comparison. Let's see how 2016 unfolds though. If he has a good year, I'd expect him to be brought back. I don't think he's going to get big money elsewhere, but if he hits the market he'll be a coveted UFA by a lot of teams.

• 3 weeks later...

In all fairness to Woods. Theres a reason why hes a "#2" and not "#1". How many second WR in this league demand double coverage?

When AJ Green goes down are they double teaming Sanu? Same thing in Dallas. Same thing detroit. Same thing in Houston. Etc etc. All these teams suffer tremendously when their star WR goes down.

If Clay can step up his game, Sammy, Clay, and woods are more than enough. Getting Clay to perform at the level of a top 5-7 TE would do wonders for this offense

One play this year showed me that he should not be part of the future of the Bills.

It was a running play that most teams do with their wide receivers once or twice per game. The end around. In this case, Robert Woods looked like he was running in quick sand. He was so slow.

Teams can find a garbage time WR anywhere. See Salas in the last game versus the JEST.

Look at PITT?

BIlls need to draft another WR in the first round.

Edited by fredex22

One play this year showed me that he should not be part of the future of the Bills.

It was a running play that most teams do with their wide receivers once or twice per game. The end around. In this case, Robert Woods looked like he was running in quick sand. He was so slow.

Teams can find a garbage time WR anywhere. See Salas in the last game versus the JEST.

Look at PITT?

So you're ignoring the fact he played through games with a torn groin? Lets see how fast you run with one of those.

Played with a torn groin. Some level of toughness there. I'm kind of with OP on this one though - our LBs and defense were pretty lousy this year. It'd be nice to add a big proven number 2, but not in the first 2 or 3 rounds.

And i'm not for giving some mediocre guy way too much money to be a 2nd receiver, seeing as most big money free agent additions don't pan out. So called "Great" players rarely see free agency (a few exceptions every year, but a lot will re-sign with their teams), and when they do there's usually something wrong (Bad relationship with management, overpaid so they had to cut, bad cap situation). They deservedly get paid the most, but then there's a 2nd tier of pretty good players who get paid like they're all-pros.

I see us going with what we grabbed in boykin, maybe hankerson comes back, salas, goodwin, lewis, woods, little, easley, and hogan. They're all going to have to earn their roster spot and playing time. I see easley starting out on PUP, so we probably keep 5 or 6 with one guy on the PS.

We want to run the ball a lot, so blocking out of our 2-4 receivers is really important. Especially for a shiftier guy like McCoy.

Look at PITT?

on the all-22, Felton missed a block and he had a guy coming at him. He slowed down because he literally had nowhere to go.

One play though... Good thing teams don't make personnel decisions based on one play. Or maybe they should keep him simply because of one of his circus catches or one of his TDs. One play. Torn groin all season. Smh. The team does indeed watch film.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The guy is one year from a 65 catch, 699 yard, 5 TD season, with EJ air mailing balls over his head for the first quarter of the season (29 targets 11 catches), including two TD's if my memory serves me, where he was wide open in the end zone. He was the 2nd 1/2 of a historically young record setting duo in 2014. He was open often in 2014 and not thrown too, its on the tape.

He plays through 2015 with a groin injury, which limits his movement skills and if you have had one you understand, and yet his production is parallel to his 2014 production despite missing 2 games with set injury, the offense throwing the ball over 100 fewer times than they did in 2014, he has 23 fewer targets in 2015, and they are a run first team now and he had to learn a new offense.

The guy plays and particularly blocks like his hair is on fire, which is perfect for the current offense, runs very good routes, consistently makes first downs (58% of his receptions), does not take plays off, and is still developing having finished his 3rd season. He's not a burner, he's not 6'4" (a lot of good that did James Hardy, just saying), he's not a #1 WR, but he is a very good overall player and complement to Watkins, and he is certainly not part of the problem, this team has much bigger needs than replacing Woods at this point.

Edited by P51

Look at PITT?

Considering Pittsburgh has drafted 0 WRs on their roster in the first round - and their defense went from worst to respectable. My guess is they've been drafting Defense in the first round the past few years.

Brown - 6th round
Wheaton - 3rd round
Bryant - 4th round
Coates - 3rd round
Heyward-bey - 1st rounder but a bust, and not by Pitt

I see Woods as a quality utility WR. Much like a utility infielder who can play all of the infield spots in relief or in event of injury, Woods can play on the outside or inside (although probably not the X all that well). He's a hard worker, knows his assignments and can push young players. I like having him on the team. But I really don't want him relied upon to be a starting or top slot WR. The Bills need a big, fast X so Sammy can play the Z and then they need to add a quality Y. If Woods was the #4 in that scenario, then I'd be ecstatic. The problem will come on his next deal. He'll likely want to be paid more than the going rate for a 4th WR, especially considering his draft position (which does factor in), so I do not see him here long term. But the good news there is that when your WR corps start pushing players like Woods off the team, then they're pretty damn good. Of course they're a couple players short of that right now so you never know.

Edited because I accidentally mixed up the Y and Z.

Edited by BarleyNY

I see Woods as a quality utility WR. Much like a utility infielder who can play all of the infield spots in relief or in event of injury, Woods can play on the outside or inside (although probably not the X all that well). He's a hard worker, knows his assignments and can push young players. I like having him on the team. But I really don't want him relied upon to be a starting or top slot WR. The Bills need a big, fast X so Sammy can play the Y and then they need to add a quality Z. If Woods was the #4 in that scenario, then I'd be ecstatic. The problem will come on his next deal. He'll likely want to be paid more than the going rate for a 4th WR, especially considering his draft position (which does factor in), so I do not see him here long term. But the good news there is that when your WR corps start pushing players like Woods off the team, then they're pretty damn good. Of course they're a couple players short of that right now so you never know.

Interesting take on Woods being a utility WR... I think he's a solid #2 or Z receiver, more of a possession receiver at this point, but can handle many different responsibilities throughout the core, it would be interesting to see what he could do as a Y. His blocking and quickness are suited best there IMO, he certainly needs to work on his YAC, but I think he's under rated in general as people are putting too much into 2015 production without looking into relevant factors. IMO Woods is a quality Z.

You dont think Watkins is an X receiver?

I do think Woods next contract will be an issue, it'll be interesting to see how the Bills value him.

As for replacing him, thats going to be tough, this draft is nothing like that last two when it comes to WR talent, Treadwell is likely gone by 19 and do you take a WR in the 1st if your Buffalo? Coleman is likely faster than Woods, but not the blocker or route runner Woods is. Thomas isnt fast in general, or as quick in his breaks, but has the size and leaping ability Woods lacks, Doctson is similar to Thomas, after that IMO there isnt really anyone who is or has that much potential to be a better overall player than Woods, and even the guys I mentioned have as many if not more warts than Woods does. Buffalo has cap issue's, so FA is not much of a factor in a significant upgrade.

I would agree that the Bills are several receivers away from pushing Woods off this team.

Look at PITT?

One play is all it takes to disqualify you? I've seen the likes of Gronk make one bad play. Belichick needs to know about this.

He is "good". However, not a guy who even meets Stevie Johnsons level. He's the second best that we have but we need to look at the bengals receivers or Josh Gordan / martavious Bryant type guys and keep woods at a reasonable price. There are much better athletes out there for a number 2.

Interesting take on Woods being a utility WR... I think he's a solid #2 or Z receiver, more of a possession receiver at this point, but can handle many different responsibilities throughout the core, it would be interesting to see what he could do as a Y. His blocking and quickness are suited best there IMO, he certainly needs to work on his YAC, but I think he's under rated in general as people are putting too much into 2015 production without looking into relevant factors. IMO Woods is a quality Z.

You dont think Watkins is an X receiver?

I do think Woods next contract will be an issue, it'll be interesting to see how the Bills value him.

As for replacing him, thats going to be tough, this draft is nothing like that last two when it comes to WR talent, Treadwell is likely gone by 19 and do you take a WR in the 1st if your Buffalo? Coleman is likely faster than Woods, but not the blocker or route runner Woods is. Thomas isnt fast in general, or as quick in his breaks, but has the size and leaping ability Woods lacks, Doctson is similar to Thomas, after that IMO there isnt really anyone who is or has that much potential to be a better overall player than Woods, and even the guys I mentioned have as many if not more warts than Woods does. Buffalo has cap issue's, so FA is not much of a factor in a significant upgrade.

I would agree that the Bills are several receivers away from pushing Woods off this team.

Watkins can play the X (wide, on the line) but I prefer him to be a Z (wide, off the line). Sorry, I mixed up Y (slot) & Z in my post. I don't like him on the line like an X where he would take more punishment due to his injury/durability issues. Also I prefer to see him to run a varied route tree rather than be predominantly deep threat. Woods can be a solid WR, but he's not the deep threat opposite Watkins that the Bills need. Watkins has been very effective except when double teamed (CB bumping, safety almost directly over the top keying on him) and that's where Woods is an issue. He can't pull coverage away. The Bills desperately need a player that can get deep and stress defenses by making them worry about two deep threats. Otherwise Watkins can be neutralized. See the KC game. First half - late safety help; second half - safety over the top keyed on him. 176 yards, 0 yards.

The Bills went after Harvin to be that deep threat in the short term despite his lack of size and past issues. It showed how desperate they were to fill that void. If I could add one (non-elite QB) player to the Bills roster it'd be a quality X with size and speed. As for Woods, he is not a bad player. I just don't see him as a fit for what the Bills need. After 2016 he's likely to find another team where he brings more value than he does to the Bills, though.

Edited by BarleyNY

Watkins can play the X (wide, on the line) but I prefer him to be a Z (wide, off the line). Sorry, I mixed up Y (slot) & Z in my post. I don't like him on the line like an X where he would take more punishment due to his injury/durability issues. Also I prefer to see him to run a varied route tree rather than be predominantly deep threat. Woods can be a solid WR, but he's not the deep threat opposite Watkins that the Bills need. Watkins has been very effective except when double teamed (CB bumping, safety almost directly over the top keying on him) and that's where Woods is an issue. He can't pull coverage away. The Bills desperately need a player that can get deep and stress defenses by making them worry about two deep threats. Otherwise Watkins can be neutralized. See the KC game. First half - late safety help; second half - safety over the top keyed on him. 176 yards, 0 yards.

The Bills went after Harvin to be that deep threat in the short term despite his lack of size and past issues. It showed how desperate they were to fill that void. If I could add one (non-elite QB) player to the Bills roster it'd be a quality X with size and speed. As for Woods, he is not a bad player. I just don't see him as a fit for what the Bills need. After 2016 he's likely to find another team where he brings more value than he does to the Bills, though.

why don't you see him as a fit for what we need? We are a running team. Running teams need WRs that can block. Woods is our best blocking receiver. So woods is exactly what we need. The guy has one down year on a team that might throw the ball 20 times a game and also played with a torn groin most of the season while still getting open and everyone wants him gone.

You people are nuts.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

It's good to have guys like Woods on a team. He works hard, knows his responsibilities and has adequate (or better) NFL talent across the board, but he's never going to be a stud. The problems occur when you either overpay for such a player or that player is your expected starter for the season. Guys like Woods are there to push the youngsters with more talent, step in when they're needed and show the value of dedication to their craft.

Boy, I think that Woods is much better than just a guy "to push more talented youngsters".

why don't you see him as a fit for what we need? We are a running team. Running teams need WRs that can block. Woods is our best blocking receiver. So woods is exactly what we need. The guy has one down year on a team that might throw the ball 20 times a game and also played with a torn groin most of the season while still getting open and everyone wants him gone.

You people are nuts.

I agree - Woods is good!

Comparable to Josh Reed as far as overall impact goes. OK to have around as depth I guess,but I don't think he sees another contract.

I think he is better than Josh Reed was

Woods is okay, I don't want to get rid of him, just push him back to #3.

The thing is, he hasn't been good enough to take advantage of the space Watkins creates for him. While they may not need another "#1" receiver (that would be a big boost, though), they do need someone that can step up when defenses concentrate on Watkins. Woods has proven that he isn't that guy.

on the all-22, Felton missed a block and he had a guy coming at him. He slowed down because he literally had nowhere to go.

One play though... Good thing teams don't make personnel decisions based on one play. Or maybe they should keep him simply because of one of his circus catches or one of his TDs. One play. Torn groin all season. Smh. The team does indeed watch film.

So WHY DA PHOCK IS THIS TEAM GIVING A LONG RUNNING PLAY TO A PLAYER WITH A TORN GROIN?

People on here are happy that he played with a torn groin. HES TOUGH! Newsflash, he had a terrible year and it didnt help the Bills any now did it?

Lets look at HOGAN. He played with an injured hand. How did that turn out?

Man, the Koolaid drinkers on here are over the top in love with anyone who wears a Bills Jersey.

The thing is, he hasn't been good enough to take advantage of the space Watkins creates for him. While they may not need another "#1" receiver (that would be a big boost, though), they do need someone that can step up when defenses concentrate on Watkins. Woods has proven that he isn't that guy.

He might be a good fit in the slot honestly. He's certainly not fast, but he can block and has pretty solid hands. We aren't signing a #2, and its tough to draft someone in the later rounds and have them contribute. I expect one of the guys we signed to try and take the job from hogan.

So WHY DA PHOCK IS THIS TEAM GIVING A LONG RUNNING PLAY TO A PLAYER WITH A TORN GROIN?

People on here are happy that he played with a torn groin. HES TOUGH! Newsflash, he had a terrible year and it didnt help the Bills any now did it?

Lets look at HOGAN. He played with an injured hand. How did that turn out?

Man, the Koolaid drinkers on here are over the top in love with anyone who wears a Bills Jersey.

Who should we get to replace him? Draft someone in the first 2 rounds and continue to have the worst tackling LBs in the league, and 0 pass rush?

Considering Pittsburgh has drafted 0 WRs on their roster in the first round - and their defense went from worst to respectable. My guess is they've been drafting Defense in the first round the past few years.

Brown - 6th round

Wheaton - 3rd round

Bryant - 4th round

Coates - 3rd round

Heyward-bey - 1st rounder but a bust, and not by Pitt

Pitt is the model on drafting WR. If I remember correctly they also drafted Sanders the same year they got AB. Coates was awesome at Auburn and looked sharp in limited action this past Sunday. Plenty of mid-late round value to be found at WR, folks need to stop clamoring for another first round WR.

Draft a guy in rounds 3-5 who can be a viable #2 option. Hopefully the scouting department expanded this past year and we can now draft players outside the ACC.

He might be a good fit in the slot honestly. He's certainly not fast, but he can block and has pretty solid hands. We aren't signing a #2, and its tough to draft someone in the later rounds and have them contribute. I expect one of the guys we signed to try and take the job from hogan.

Who should we get to replace him? Draft someone in the first 2 rounds and continue to have the worst tackling LBs in the league, and 0 pass rush?

Seems to me we had some pash rush for a few years with these same players?

Looking at it - Dareus came into camp fat. KW was hurt all year, MW is gone, PB regressed, Bradham was hurt all year. Lawson and Hughes played pretty well for stretches, but you don't get a front 7 out of 2 guys.

This team has been such a mess for almost two decades. I want another receiver to be with Watkins but fully understand the defensive side of things.

How do you know?

Look at it this way. What is Robert Woods capable of? Last year he put up 699yds; 5TD's. Considering he's 23yrs old and in the thick of his prime, I'd say he can still do better.

Lets look at other #2 WR's on playoff teams:

Bengals' Marvin Jones: 816; 4TD's

Pitt's Wheaton: 749; 5 TD's

Texans' Cecil Shorts: 484; 2 TD's

Chiefs' Albert Wilson: 451; 2 TD's

Skins' Garcon: 777; 6TD's

Packers' D. Adams: 446; 3TD's

Panthers' T. Ginn Jr. as the #1 this season: 739; 10TD's; or Corey Brown as the #2: 447; 4TD

Cardinals Floyd: 849; 6TD's

Woods' numbers last season are right there with almost all of these #2's around the league (and Woods played on a bad team, not a playoff team with HOF's passing him the ball)...same thing applies to Atlanta, Dallas, etc.

Again, he's 23yrs old and his arrow can still point up.

For people that claim they want an upgrade over Woods: where is that "upgrade" coming from? Furthermore, in this run-first offense with a superstar #1 WR in Sammy Watkins, just how many chances do you think this new #2 is going to actually get?

Look at it this way. What is Robert Woods capable of? Last year he put up 699yds; 5TD's. Considering he's 23yrs old and in the thick of his prime, I'd say he can still do better.

Lets look at other #2 WR's on playoff teams:

Bengals' Marvin Jones: 816; 4TD's

Pitt's Wheaton: 749; 5 TD's

Texans' Cecil Shorts: 484; 2 TD's

Chiefs' Albert Wilson: 451; 2 TD's

Skins' Garcon: 777; 6TD's

Packers' D. Adams: 446; 3TD's

Panthers' T. Ginn Jr. as the #1 this season: 739; 10TD's; or Corey Brown as the #2: 447; 4TD

Cardinals Floyd: 849; 6TD's

Woods' numbers last season are right there with almost all of these #2's around the league (and Woods played on a bad team, not a playoff team with HOF's passing him the ball)...same thing applies to Atlanta, Dallas, etc.

Again, he's 23yrs old and his arrow can still point up.

For people that claim they want an upgrade over Woods: where is that "upgrade" coming from? Furthermore, in this run-first offense with a superstar #1 WR in Sammy Watkins, just how many chances do you think this new #2 is going to actually get?

Shorts already got paid, jones and floyd are going to this year. We can't afford either - because both end up on teams that need a WR1, or they never hit FA.

This is the problem....

When Sammy Watkins doesnt play....it seems like NONE of these guys can get open on any kind of consistant basis.....not Woods....not Harvin.....Clay a little bit

That cannot happen....the #2 of a team has to be able to come in and make a big contribution when the number 1 WR does not play

This is the problem....

When Sammy Watkins doesnt play....it seems like NONE of these guys can get open on any kind of consistant basis.....not Woods....not Harvin.....Clay a little bit

That cannot happen....the #2 of a team has to be able to come in and make a big contribution when the number 1 WR does not play

Yep.

Perhaps there are people that think the offense is fine? Or they just need a lineman or 2. I think it is just getting to "acceptable", and a WR a couple notches above Woods will make the most difference. I think the line play was better than the WR play.

Short of a new QB, what would make this offense better?

Edited by HoF Watkins