Robert Woods

Why all the hate on Woody? He has incredible hands, blocks very well, produces when given the opportunity, and is tough as nails. Everyone on here is saying that we need to get a better number 2 guy, but I really like Woods. I get that drafting someone like Treadwell would be awesome, but don't you think we have other glaring needs? I'd say O-line, LB, and Safety are all bigger needs than WR. Woods has been pretty good for us and has done all he is asked to do, which is all we need out of a number 2.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he has incredible hands. He drops kind of a lot, to my eyes. He's "okay" — he does everything decently, but does not excel in any one area. He's also not particularly big or fast, but he's not clutch to make up for that.

I would say the other needs are relatively equal to WR2. O-Line we need a RT. LB and Safety, definitely those are big needs too. But WR2 is right there with them. IMO.

Why all the hate on Woody? He has incredible hands, blocks very well, produces when given the opportunity, and is tough as nails. Everyone on here is saying that we need to get a better number 2 guy, but I really like Woods. I get that drafting someone like Treadwell would be awesome, but don't you think we have other glaring needs? I'd say O-line, LB, and Safety are all bigger needs than WR. Woods has been pretty good for us and has done all he is asked to do, which is all we need out of a number 2.

I will just regurgitate my previous posts on this subject.

Woods isn't striking fear into any DB. Another WR, good enough to draw double coverage, would open up the passing game like no other single player they could acquire (save a HoF QB). What happened when Watkins was out, and Woods became the #1 WR by default? Did he draw double coverage...nope. And if he ever did, he was most certainly shut down.

In some of Watkins best games, he would have a real good 1st half, then they would double him in the 2nd. Hogan, Woods...these guys weren't good enough to reap the full benefit of that.

Having a guy that is good enough to keep a safety from cheating to Watkins, will reap dividends. Especially with Tyrod's deep throw ability. Really, if you were a deep safety, and you had Watkins streaking down the sidelines on one side, and Woods on the other, who would you choose to cover? Watkins...every time.

I understand the argument for the O-line, but another WR that is a notch or 2 above Woods, would have a bigger impact in my opinion. I realize there are more variables, but I like to look at it in terms of how many guys can a player occupy. In the passing game, the best O-lineman in the league can only occupy 1 defender. A good WR can pull 2 defenders (maybe 3), opening up other areas on the field.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Woods is great. Doesn't have the speed as a number one, but is clutch throughout his high school/college/pro career. He had issues in 2015, but those could be results of a new scheme

"great"...nope.

Woods is "Scott Arniel". He would make the roster of any team in the league, but would never be a star anywhere.

He is "good".

Edited by HoF Watkins

because you need weapons in this league, it's not like TT is Brady so he needs all the help he can get.

and Woods really just is average we need an upgrade at WR

I hope we keep him long term. With all the attention that was going to be paid to Sammy this year, I really thought he would have a breakout year. it's not his fault, he wasn't targeted as much as last year. Hogan was the disappointment because he dropped too many uncontested passes.

Edited by MyDogLuvsPB

I'm a fan of Bob Woods. Good hands, good route runner, good blocker. The perfect WR2 or WR3 to have on the team. I think we do need another speed guy to replace the position Harvin/Goodwin has played, but hopefully with a bit more size to be durable. I don't think such a player 'replaces' Woods, though.

Really hope he invests time in the offseason finding better footwear. I know a lot of guys slip at the Ralph (that needs addressing at an organisational level) but he seems to be the most prevalent.

He was tagged as the most 'pro-ready' WR in his class for a reason. He doesn't have any glaring weaknesses and he does a lot of fundamental things well. Developing into a nice blocker which is integral in this scheme. His position should be safe for now but there does need to be variety added to the passing attack, he's not the #2 for every situation.

Edited by Blokestradamus

I've liked him since he got here and will continue to like him. I think he's more of a slot guy and not a great #2 but he's a good player and makes some great catches and blocks. He is certainly better than Hogan. He's had a few 100+ yard games and he's a tough player. I don't know if they resign him (or if he wants to stay in this offense) but don't see him going anywhere in 2016.

Edited by YoloinOhio

It's good to have guys like Woods on a team. He works hard, knows his responsibilities and has adequate (or better) NFL talent across the board, but he's never going to be a stud. The problems occur when you either overpay for such a player or that player is your expected starter for the season. Guys like Woods are there to push the youngsters with more talent, step in when they're needed and show the value of dedication to their craft.

Edited by BarleyNY

I think he is a solid receiver, its a shame Percy H did now work out because Woods would have really been able to shine. With that said, you need depth at the receiver position so a 2nd or 3rd would not be an issue. However there are many needs on this team, i am not sure a WR warrants a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I think he is a solid receiver, its a shame Percy H did now work out because Woods would have really been able to shine. With that said, you need depth at the receiver position so a 2nd or 3rd would not be an issue. However there are many needs on this team, i am not sure a WR warrants a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I think Woods is a good #3 and looked good when Harvin and Watkins were on the field. Any chance that Harvin comes back next year. The Bills can't spend much money on Harvin if he wants to play (too much chance of injury), but when he plays too his potential, he can tilt the field

Woods is a really good blocker but he absolutely does not have incredible hands and can't stay on his feet long enough to make a play when he does actually catch the ball.

Spending a first on a WR to be a number 2 would be foolish. I'm also not sold on Treadwell and curious to see how he runs the 40

I will just regurgitate my previous posts on this subject.

Woods isn't striking fear into any DB. Another WR, good enough to draw double coverage, would open up the passing game like no other single player they could acquire (save a HoF QB). What happened when Watkins was out, and Woods became the #1 WR by default? Did he draw double coverage...nope. And if he ever did, he was most certainly shut down.

In some of Watkins best games, he would have a real good 1st half, then they would double him in the 2nd. Hogan, Woods...these guys weren't good enough to reap the full benefit of that.

Having a guy that is good enough to keep a safety from cheating to Watkins, will reap dividends. Especially with Tyrod's deep throw ability. Really, if you were a deep safety, and you had Watkins streaking down the sidelines on one side, and Woods on the other, who would you choose to cover? Watkins...every time.

I understand the argument for the O-line, but another WR that is a notch or 2 above Woods, would have a bigger impact in my opinion. I realize there are more variables, but I like to look at it in terms of how many guys can a player occupy. In the passing game, the best O-lineman in the league can only occupy 1 defender. A good WR can pull 2 defenders (maybe 3), opening up other areas on the field.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel.

Solid, legit #2. Great #3.

My favorite team to look at for this is Carolina. They lost Benjamin and every guy went up a notch. We lot Harvin and same thing. Without solid depth at WR you're screwed. If we had Harvin all year it'd be different but make no mistake about it teams need a Bob Woods on their roster.

I called him average once and caught hell for it- even though I considered it a complement.

So I reconsidered, and changed my mind.

Now I'd say he's average at best.

Best QB we've had in years and he was almost invisible...other than his falls and drops.

72nd in yardage. 1 TD every 4th game for his career...dispersed rather evenly, I might add. As bad as we need offensive help every year, his production has been very disappointing for a 2nd rounder.

"BUT...B-BUT...NO WAY!...HE ALSO BLOCKS!!!!" they scream.

He'd better, because he doesn't really do much else to help the team put points up. I don't understand why he escapes scrutiny.

I'm a fan of Bob Woods. Good hands, good route runner, good blocker. The perfect WR2 or WR3 to have on the team. I think we do need another speed guy to replace the position Harvin/Goodwin has played, but hopefully with a bit more size to be durable. I don't think such a player 'replaces' Woods, though.

Woods does not have good hands as he's dropped a lot of passes and is not a good route runner as he is either diving back for the ball, tripping over himself and is not in sync with the QB. He is a great blocking WR, but he is inconsistent.

Woods is a nice number 4 WR. He is not a # two nor a # three. Hogan is not an answer either.

2016 WR Corp

1. Sammy

2. find a tall reliable vet like eric decker

3. third round pick

4. Woods

5. whoever emerges from camp fodder (Lewis, Salas, etc)

Woods is a nice number 4 WR. He is not a # two nor a # three. Hogan is not an answer either.

2016 WR Corp

1. Sammy

2. find a tall reliable vet like eric decker

3. third round pick

4. Woods

5. whoever emerges from camp fodder (Lewis, Salas, etc)

Agreed. Harvin and Goodwin can't stay healthy and need to go. Hogan is too slow and too inconsistent and needs to go as well.

Just heard Sal C. on WGR say that Woods has been dealing with a severe groin injury since training camp.

Woods does not have good hands as he's dropped a lot of passes and is not a good route runner as he is either diving back for the ball, tripping over himself and is not in sync with the QB. He is a great blocking WR, but he is inconsistent.

Do you have drop percentage stats to share?

This is what I found:

Name		POS	TM	REC	Drops	TGT	TGT%	DRP%
Chris Hogan	WR	BUF	36	4	59	61.0%	6.8%
Charles Clay	TE	BUF	51	4	77	66.2%	5.2%
Sammy Watkins	WR	BUF	60	3	96	62.5%	3.1%
Robert Woods	WR	BUF	47	2	80	58.8%	2.5%
Percy Harvin	WR	BUF	19	1	30	63.3%	3.3%
LeSean McCoy	RB	BUF	32	1	50	64.0%	2.0%
Karlos Williams	RB	BUF	11	0	14	78.6%	0.0%
Chris Gragg	TE	BUF	12	0	20	60.0%	0.0%

From: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/

No clue how accurate they are.

I don't think he has incredible hands. He drops kind of a lot, to my eyes. He's "okay" he does everything decently, but does not excel in any one area. He's also not particularly big or fast, but he's not clutch to make up for that.

I would say the other needs are relatively equal to WR2. O-Line we need a RT. LB and Safety, definitely those are big needs too. But WR2 is right there with them. IMO.

He accels at run blocking. But yeah he's not an ideal outside guy. They had it right in the beginning of the season. You need a Harvin type opposite Sammy. Woods can play slot.

Harvin could get sprung deep. Tyrod a deep sideline ball is the best I've ever seen in a bills jersey... Ok maybe Kelly had a nice one too- it's been so long... But I feel like Tyrod is actually more precise.

Get a versatile speed guy that can run under a deep ball to pair with Sammy and they would be a hard team to defend.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

We're so used to mediocrity in Buffalo, it is easy to think RW is good, or excellent, but he is just average. Take a look at the Steelers or Cardinals. all of those guys are Weapons. We have one in Sammy, and if you add TE, Clay. We need another big WR.

pretty sure we are going WR either 1 or 2 this year, can't see them going with Harvin or Goodwin, so your down to 3 guys Sammy, Woods and Hogan, which is not good enough.... Easley is a gunner forever. the other guys were just fill ins for Harvin and Goodwin.