If I'm Terry Pegula

If I’m Terry Pegula, I hear the fans, many of the media, and other NFL folks I speak with stating I should dump Rex. But I also hear the people stating we need continuity and that does also make sense. When you’re filthy rich like I am, paying $20 plus mil to Rex doesn’t sound like much, but it’s still $20 mil. I could instead use it to buy that helicopter I was looking at last month! Likely I’m not going to get any offsets on his contract either as highly doubtful another team will sign him as a HC. If Rex is fired, think there’s a better chance he and his brother Rob show up next on the carnival circuit than getting close to another HC offer. I also don’t want it to look like I have no idea what I’m doing if I fire Rex after one season, both in how it affects others view of the team, i.e. potential coaches, players, etc. and for personal reasons, I’d rather not look like an idiot either, but could live with that if it helps the team.

So maybe I call rex into my office next week and ask him, Rex what happened? Defense is a complete mess, hell even my son knows that, leading the league in penalties, no discipline, special teams is a disaster. Maybe that’s an easy one, we both agree on, can the ST coach, but what about the defense? It was a top five before your arrival, you told me they’d be #1, what went wrong? Why couldn’t you use these same players like they were used last season and they played great? Haven’t you ever heard, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Why am I hearing your defense was so complicated there was only one guy in NY who understood it, that’s not good!! Yes we had many injures, but other than Aaron Williams, really not many injuries the first 5 or 6 weeks defensively, and they were terrible from week one on.

Here’s the one thing I’m NOT going to do Rex, I’m not getting rid of perfectly good players because you tell me they don’t fit your system, and sign new ones and get ourselves into salary cap hell again. If these players don’t fit your system, you should have told me that last year before I resigned Hughes and Darrius to extensions, or better yet before I hired you. So either you need to coach the bulk of these players and make a good team out of it or I’ll get someone who can. I’m not going down this rabbit hole with you, so you need to figure out how to dig yourself out with the tools I’ve given you, or I’ll drop a big rock right on the top of the hole and you’ll be buried forever, never to be heard from again.

Please explain to me why exactly I’m paying Dennis Thurman a salary? What does he do besides yell at officials after the games over? He needs to be the second person you fire after Crossman. Quite frankly based on where we are right now, I’m not completely certain you can turn this around, but am willing to give you the chance. You need to hire a defense coordinator that knows how to coach these players to their strength, who can coach a “Wide Nine”. Someone like a Jim Schwartz though doubt he’d come back. Then again the reason he left was he felt if the D played well or better, you’d get all the credit and not him so staying wouldn’t help his career. Well the way things are now, if he came back and re-righted the ship, he’d get all the credit for turning the D around and you’d get none.

I hired you to be the HC, not run the D so you need to hire a DC who will run the defense again best suited to their strengths and let him run it the way he wanted to. Then maybe you can concentrate on being the HC, as lord knows this team needs a good leader. Between the penalties, lack of discipline, comments to the press, they need someone. Maybe then you can concentrate on replays.

So Rex, can you do this, hire a good DC and you do what is needed as the HC. If you don’t feel you’re able to tell me now, if you’re just some one trick pony and can’t do anything different than what I just saw, I’ll move on now. I’m not big on the press like you are, so I have no problem, letting you call a press conference and announcing to the world how you figured out these are the changes that you need to make, you can take all the credit, that’s fine. There are some other lesser changes needed that we can talk about tomorrow, so go home sleep on it and let me know if you think you can handle this…..

I’m sure the argument would be Rex would never agree to this, but the way I see it, if TP fires Rex, he’s take some ridicule from some, but he’ll also earn praise from others for admitting his mistakes and moving on. For Rex getting canned after only one season could be brutal, he will be the brunt of all the off season jokes. At the NFL awards show, Rex will likely be front and center in the hosts 15 minute opening monologue . If he’s fired his career could be over or at best if he’s lucky he may get a DC position, but even that I’m not certain the way things have gone here in one dreadful season. So he may have little choice but to go along with Terry’s “suggestions”

And last but certainly no least, if I’m Terry Pegula I’d announce that I’m going to give .0001% of my net worth to anyone on Two Bills Drive whom has over 10,000 posts!! And the author of this post too of course!

I can see some of what you wrote happening in their conversation. I do think Rex gets another year though and we will go back to the defense from 2014. If we beat the jets this week I think the whole staff is fine going into next year

Oh to be the fly on the wall when Terry and Rex meet. That should be interesting. Rex brought Dennis with him from the Jets and really is just a puppet so you can't blame him too much. Crossman has to go. It will be interesting and we more than likely will not get to hear the real conversation. Maybe Kim will tell us.

If I'm the Pegulas I would want an explanation on the defense. The scheme change obviously didn't work. The Bills are averaging almost 24 points per game. If the defense had performed at last years level, this team should have won 11 or 12 games. I'd also ask Rex if he is willing to adjust the scheme to play to the players strengths. In other words would he go back to last years scheme. If he says no, then you know it is about his ego.

Edited by chris heff

When you’re filthy rich like I am, paying $20 plus mil to Rex doesn’t sound like much, but it’s still $20 mil. I could instead use it to buy that helicopter I was looking at last month!

:D

.. or maybe Terry will need some of that money if his new drilling company JKLM needs to make secret restitution to the folks in and around Potter County, PA in the near future

http://publicherald.org/breaking-oil-gas-drilling-impacts-public-drinking-water-supplies-in-potter-county/

oh hell.. maybe that legend of The Ralph being built on an old tribal burial ground isn't as crazy as any rational soul might think..

..maybe there is some negative spiritual connection between the Buffalo Bills and the earth.. perhaps there is a curse on ill-begotten gains attained from damaging the planet.

JKLM Energy is a young company based in Sewickley whose largest shareholder, Terry Pegula, sold the former East Resources for $4.6 billion and then purchased the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres. East Resources operations in 2010 led to the quarantine of cattle after contamination in northcentral Pennsylvania. “Pennsylvania Land Trust Association did a study on the environmental impact of natural gas drilling and found that East Resources Management LLC ranked first among about 45 drillers cited for violations during that period, with 138 violations at 140 wells.”

Oh to be the fly on the wall when Terry and Rex meet. That should be interesting. Rex brought Dennis with him from the Jets and really is just a puppet so you can't blame him too much. Crossman has to go. It will be interesting and we more than likely will not get to hear the real conversation. Maybe Kim will tell us.

I wanna hang out with Kim

If I'm Terry Pegula, I'm lighting a giant Cuban with a rolled up C-note in the owner's box while I consume colossal chilled shrimp and king crab legs, washing it all down with some Cristal from one of Kim's sweaty Jimmy Choos....

thanks for that :D

here i was, getting all worked up about us possibly having one of the most despicable owners in the league.. but the image of what you describe brings me back to something we all can relate to - and for me, at least, humanizes the man.. the myth.. the legend.. and of course - the proud owner of one the most futile franchises in sports history. :worthy:

Edited by BackInDaDay

thanks for that :D

here i was, getting all worked up about us possibly having one of the most despicable owners in the league.. but the image of what you describe brings me back to something we all can relate to - and for me, at least, humanizes the man.. the myth.. the legend.. and of course - the proud owner of one the most futile franchises in sports history. :worthy:

I forgot to mention my monocle...

If I'm the Pegulas I would want an explanation on the defense. The scheme change obviously didn't work. The Bills are averaging almost 24 points per game. If the defense had performed at last years level, this team should have won 11 or 12 games. I'd also ask Rex if he is willing to adjust the scheme to play to the players strengths. In other words would he go back to last years scheme. If he says no, then you know it is about his ego.

Chris- interesting post so looked it up and our defense points allowed last year was 18.1 and this year is 22.8. This year's offense is avg. 23.8 pts per game. i don't know if that means 11 wins, but it would certainly mean more than 7 wins.

I personally like looking at pts per game over yards per game although both stats have flaws.

If I am Terry Pegula I am **** scared about the cost of natural gas.

If I'm Terry Pegula, i'm not !@#$ing scared about the cost of natural gas, because I sold my company.

If I'm Terry Pegula, I'm scared of owning a franchise that hasn't done bupkis in nearly two decades.

If I'm Terry Pegula, i'm not !@#$ing scared about the cost of natural gas, because I sold my company.

If I'm Terry Pegula, I'm scared of owning a franchise that hasn't done bupkis in nearly two decades.

Wouldn't be scared about that in the least.

I would be scared about concussion-related lawsuits, fewer kids playing the game and thinning the talent pool, and crackdowns on HGH.

Still owns Greater Rocky Mountain Regional Oil & Gas in Colorado and Wyoming, and JKLM Energy in Pennsylvania so he still is exposed and given the cost of natural gas they are bleeding money but hey what do I know.

If I’m Terry Pegula, I hear the fans, many of the media, and other NFL folks I speak with stating I should dump Rex. But I also hear the people stating we need continuity and that does also make sense. When you’re filthy rich like I am, paying $20 plus mil to Rex doesn’t sound like much, but it’s still $20 mil. I could instead use it to buy that helicopter I was looking at last month! Likely I’m not going to get any offsets on his contract either as highly doubtful another team will sign him as a HC. If Rex is fired, think there’s a better chance he and his brother Rob show up next on the carnival circuit than getting close to another HC offer. I also don’t want it to look like I have no idea what I’m doing if I fire Rex after one season, both in how it affects others view of the team, i.e. potential coaches, players, etc. and for personal reasons, I’d rather not look like an idiot either, but could live with that if it helps the team.

So maybe I call rex into my office next week and ask him, Rex what happened? Defense is a complete mess, hell even my son knows that, leading the league in penalties, no discipline, special teams is a disaster. Maybe that’s an easy one, we both agree on, can the ST coach, but what about the defense? It was a top five before your arrival, you told me they’d be #1, what went wrong? Why couldn’t you use these same players like they were used last season and they played great? Haven’t you ever heard, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Why am I hearing your defense was so complicated there was only one guy in NY who understood it, that’s not good!! Yes we had many injures, but other than Aaron Williams, really not many injuries the first 5 or 6 weeks defensively, and they were terrible from week one on.

Here’s the one thing I’m NOT going to do Rex, I’m not getting rid of perfectly good players because you tell me they don’t fit your system, and sign new ones and get ourselves into salary cap hell again. If these players don’t fit your system, you should have told me that last year before I resigned Hughes and Darrius to extensions, or better yet before I hired you. So either you need to coach the bulk of these players and make a good team out of it or I’ll get someone who can. I’m not going down this rabbit hole with you, so you need to figure out how to dig yourself out with the tools I’ve given you, or I’ll drop a big rock right on the top of the hole and you’ll be buried forever, never to be heard from again.

Please explain to me why exactly I’m paying Dennis Thurman a salary? What does he do besides yell at officials after the games over? He needs to be the second person you fire after Crossman. Quite frankly based on where we are right now, I’m not completely certain you can turn this around, but am willing to give you the chance. You need to hire a defense coordinator that knows how to coach these players to their strength, who can coach a “Wide Nine”. Someone like a Jim Schwartz though doubt he’d come back. Then again the reason he left was he felt if the D played well or better, you’d get all the credit and not him so staying wouldn’t help his career. Well the way things are now, if he came back and re-righted the ship, he’d get all the credit for turning the D around and you’d get none.

I hired you to be the HC, not run the D so you need to hire a DC who will run the defense again best suited to their strengths and let him run it the way he wanted to. Then maybe you can concentrate on being the HC, as lord knows this team needs a good leader. Between the penalties, lack of discipline, comments to the press, they need someone. Maybe then you can concentrate on replays.

So Rex, can you do this, hire a good DC and you do what is needed as the HC. If you don’t feel you’re able to tell me now, if you’re just some one trick pony and can’t do anything different than what I just saw, I’ll move on now. I’m not big on the press like you are, so I have no problem, letting you call a press conference and announcing to the world how you figured out these are the changes that you need to make, you can take all the credit, that’s fine. There are some other lesser changes needed that we can talk about tomorrow, so go home sleep on it and let me know if you think you can handle this…..

I’m sure the argument would be Rex would never agree to this, but the way I see it, if TP fires Rex, he’s take some ridicule from some, but he’ll also earn praise from others for admitting his mistakes and moving on. For Rex getting canned after only one season could be brutal, he will be the brunt of all the off season jokes. At the NFL awards show, Rex will likely be front and center in the hosts 15 minute opening monologue . If he’s fired his career could be over or at best if he’s lucky he may get a DC position, but even that I’m not certain the way things have gone here in one dreadful season. So he may have little choice but to go along with Terry’s “suggestions”

And last but certainly no least, if I’m Terry Pegula I’d announce that I’m going to give .0001% of my net worth to anyone on Two Bills Drive whom has over 10,000 posts!! And the author of this post too of course!

You hit on some good points. One thing is wouldn't when you are investing a 5 year guaranteed contract on a sub .500 coach that with the football guys and maybe even the Pegulas you would discuss the current roster players vs. your scheme.

I would bet they did. With Rex gushing the front 4 alone was going to work. In fact in public he did allude to that. So yea if I'm Pegs I would ask WTF happened Rex? And bring up the fact he just dropped a 100 mil on Dareus since Rex signed. And along with Mario had a horrible season. The Whole D for the most part sucked. Although big shout out to Darby.

I'm sure Rex was drooling at the thought of taking these great players and exposing them to his brilliant defense, they'd become the greats D-line in the history of football and likely he told Terry that too.

One thing is wouldn't when you are investing a 5 year guaranteed contract on a sub .500 coach that with the football guys and maybe even the Pegulas you would discuss the current roster players vs. your scheme.

If I'm Terry Pegula, I'm lighting a giant Cuban with a rolled up C-note in the owner's box while I consume colossal chilled shrimp and king crab legs, washing it all down with some Cristal from one of Kim's sweaty Jimmy Choos....

Rex is that you?

Pegula is certainly owed an explanation by Rex.

To "ice" the debacle, we have Rex's former team, the Jets. Now I grant they did get help in the secondary, but the DL and LB corp are, if I don't mistake, unchanged. They went from 24th to 7th in the league on points given up, with much of the improvement on rushing D (5th to 1st in the league) and penalties (7th to 4th). Meanwhile I can't think of a category on D where the Bills didn't get worse, significantly worse.

So we have a coach whose former team, with no changes to DL or LB, got significantly better. And we have a current team with 1 change to LB, 1 loss and 1 addition to the DB, that was playing poorly before major injuries struck.

Yeah, if I were Pegula, I'd like to know what's up with that.

comparing rex's jets team to the current one is not fair. they went and got regis/cromartie back. and on offense they added chan(one of the really good OCs out there) and gave him weapons. marsh and decker already in place. I'm not that shocked they are that good. let alone they added leonard williams to that DL!.

people wanting rex out for the d playing poorly is understandable but the bills took a inures all over that front 7 that they didn't have last year and mario pretty much dogged it this year. kyle and mark also are both on the wrong side of 30.

people spazzed when they let fred jackson go even tho it was the right move. i can't wait for the storm when kyle is released

a little off topic but that story regarding cow contamination etc. is basically BS..my field is in the nuclear arena but I sometimes get involved in the hydro-fracturing area because of the radiological contaminants so I end up looking at a few contamination and risk assessment problems/scenarios. Having said that there are legitimate reasons to oppose hydro-fracturing (its pretty dangerous work for the field guys, there is a potential to contaminate the Ground Water (although very low), it disrupts the community due to truck traffic and land use problems, etc.). My caution is when you read some of these news blurbs try not to take them as total gospel as there is a slant/agenda in mind and the info is typically out of context to the real situation.

as a side note WNY is always interesting radiologically due to the shale deposits and the level of radon generated - so if you are scared of all things radiation and radioactivity that should take your mind off how disappointing the Bills have been this year

a little off topic but that story regarding cow contamination etc. is basically BS..my field is in the nuclear arena but I sometimes get involved in the hydro-fracturing area because of the radiological contaminants so I end up looking at a few contamination and risk assessment problems/scenarios. Having said that there are legitimate reasons to oppose hydro-fracturing (its pretty dangerous work for the field guys, there is a potential to contaminate the Ground Water (although very low), it disrupts the community due to truck traffic and land use problems, etc.). My caution is when you read some of these news blurbs try not to take them as total gospel as there is a slant/agenda in mind and the info is typically out of context to the real situation.

as a side note WNY is always interesting radiologically due to the shale deposits and the level of radon generated - so if you are scared of all things radiation and radioactivity that should take your mind off how disappointing the Bills have been this year

thanks for that, but I haven't seen complaints about radiation to the DEP, just folks concerned with signs of polluted springs and ponds, in areas where JKLM was drilling.

Were there really many injuries to the D in the first 5 or 6 weeks? All I recall was Aaron Williams being injured early in the season, but the defense was bad from the first game on. (at least they were consistent) So really can't completely buy the injury argument.

To me the funny part about the Fred Jackson thing was everyone went nuts over; Fred was such an inspiration, belongs on the wall of fame, etc. In reality the only reason Fred was here so long and was the star was that the rest of the team was terrible for so long, so made him look real good.

people wanting rex out for the d playing poorly is understandable but the bills took a inures all over that front 7 that they didn't have last year and mario pretty much dogged it this year. kyle and mark also are both on the wrong side of 30.

people spazzed when they let fred jackson go even tho it was the right move. i can't wait for the storm when kyle is released

Were there really many injuries to the D in the first 5 or 6 weeks? All I recall was Aaron Williams being injured early in the season, but the defense was bad from the first game on. (at least they were consistent) So really can't completely buy the injury argument.

To me the funny part about the Fred Jackson thing was everyone went nuts over; Fred was such an inspiration, belongs on the wall of fame, etc. In reality the only reason Fred was here so long and was the star was that the rest of the team was terrible for so long, so made him look real good.

While his playing ability had certainly declined, the best reason to keep Fred was for leadership, a sense of continuity, and the "chill out" effect. I really do not think the locker room would have degenerated the way it has if he was there.

and there is no agenda on the part of these giant energy companies? is there?

That was... vivid.

If Ed_Formerly_Of_Roch is Terry Pegula, then I'm the Easter Bunny. :ph34r:

This is what I think should happen as well! Who could be the guy? Schwartz is an obvious choice on this board.

Which is a non-starter, because Schwartz could have stayed this year, but took the money and ran. He doesn't want to be here as the DC. Get it?

You can fantasize all you want, but it might be more productive if the people who pine for the Schwartz to be with us bought into Mr. WEO's elegant fantasy posted upstream in this thread.

Yeah, but as a speculator that bought for pennies and sold for billions I think of Ralph buying a team for thousands that sold for Billions. Winning might be nice for the ego and fan adulation, but as long as the NFL franchises increase in value I'm golden. And I own one of the rarest of assets, one of less than 3 dozen NFL franchises. As long as the resale value of that asset continues to surge upward, as a man who made his fortune speculating, I'm good!