Pettine officially fired by Browns; Marrone to interview

YoloinOhio

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HUH? Brown, who has never scouted to my knowledge, will have final say on the roster? And the GM, who is in charge of acquiring talent, will have to report to Brown, who has never scouted personnel, to make a final decision on players he acquires. Meanwhile, the coach will report directly to the owner? Is it just me or does that make no sense at all?

It's amazing isn't it? I truly feel bad for the the fans of Cleveland. Only NE**** & Dallas fans deserve this

Either they're nuts or they think Brown is their Billy Beane and they are going to go find their Theo Epstein to be the GM.

Honestly, if you're going to go whole hog into the analytics thing it sort of has to be this way. Brown is the analytics minded guy who is charged with finding a coach who can deal with that. When they have the coach and their scheme they go find the GM who meshes with both of them to shop for the groceries. It's a little backwards, but only if the GM candidates you want to talk to are all connected to playoff teams and your coaches aren't. For example, Chip Kelly's an analytics guy and if you wait until February he'll be gone. Get him in the fold and then find a GM everyone can work with.

Well, Yes But. If I'm a coach who has several choices contemplating taking a gig where the owner has a historically light pull on the firing trigger, I kind of want to know the quality and caliber of the talent acquisition guy I'm going to work with, and I don't feel great about hearing he's going to be second-guessed by Mr Jacksonville Housing Authority on his talent vs $$ decisions.

Sounds to me like the path to get a bottom-dweller coach into the fold.

Well, Yes But. If I'm a coach who has several choices contemplating taking a gig where the owner has a historically light pull on the firing trigger, I kind of want to know the quality and caliber of the talent acquisition guy I'm going to work with, and I don't feel great about hearing he's going to be second-guessed by Mr Jacksonville Housing Authority on his talent vs $$ decisions.

Sounds to me like the path to get a bottom-dweller coach into the fold.

they know that it is going to be a tough sell to get a decent HC to go there and by letting them "pick" a personnel guy it sweetens the pot a little.

JFF3: … Browns are so done with the guy. I will be stunned if he ever plays another snap for Cleveland. He wants to go to Dallas.

@SI_PeterKing in Dallas, isn't that called leadership?

0 retweets 0 likes

Thurman Thomas @thurmanthomas 47s47 seconds ago

Wait..what...RT @FlyHighJason: #Browns President and VP of Football Ops have no football playing or coaching ... http://tmi.me/1fbtlC

0 retweets 0 likes
Edited by Reed83HOF

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero 1m1 minute ago

Haslam on Sashi Brown: "He will have the ultimate say on the roster." So the "GM" will not decide who's on the team or who the coach is.

LOL I know

Not the first time this has happened in sports.

The Rays hired Andrew Friedman from wall street and turned that franchise from the bottom (a laughing stock) to a perennial playoff team.

That being said baseball is kind of a different beast. The Browns should shoot for the stars and try to land a whale like Eliot Wolf or Eric DeCosta.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Adios Farmer, aka worst NFL GM ever

@marykaycabot

Report: #Browns expect to keep Mike Pettine and fire Ray Farmer, team sources say

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/12/report_cleveland_browns_expect.html

Pettine has lost 13 of his last 17 games

MaRoon sweet perfect place for him

Whatever else you think of Marrone he is no castoff. Good move for the Browns if they get him.

True; he left on his own accord.

I will say that based on what we heard of marrone's temperament and relationship with the FO, I don't think he would fit into the Browns organization, where it seems like the power of the coach and GM are going to be severely diluted.

Not the first time this has happened in sports.

The Rays hired Andrew Friedman from wall street and turned that franchise from the bottom (a laughing stock) to a perennial playoff team.

That being said baseball is kind of a different beast. The Browns should shoot for the stars and try to land a whale like Eliot Wolf or Eric DeCosta.

Why would those guys, who are well thought of enough to be in demand, want a gig that is setting up like the Browns gig? I would imagine they want to run the ship, not report to a man who, while accomplished in his area of expertise, is not accomplished in the field of talent acquisition for a football team.

A chance to get a real football guy and the Browns want to hire their lawyer....that's a Browns move if there ever was one.

Well if you want to attract a cutting edge analytic minded head coach like Doug marrone you have to go all in on the analytics department