Pettine officially fired by Browns; Marrone to interview

YoloinOhio

On his podcast, Carucci, who was in Cleveland when Pettine was hired, threw cold water at the possibility of Pettine's return. He thinks that there's still a bit of resentment between Ryan & Pettine.

Can't discount egos in this situation. Ryan made Pettine the fall guy for a drop off in Jets' D and took a lateral position with the Bills. He probably thought that he was a bigger contributor than what Rex gave him credit for. Now that he's flamed out as a head coach, coming back to Buffalo would be an admission that he still needs Rex.

I think his return would be good for both sides, but I don't see it happening.

Additionally pettine was allegedly the leak badmouthing Rex. Never truly know where relationships stand behind closed doors but seemed sour.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Rex and Pettine reach out to each other to have joint practices?!? Moreover, they were very warm and complimentary of each other last Summer.

Clearly, their relationship is ok.

Edited by Peter

@rapsheet

Things are about to get interesting. #Browns are set to make a big push to hire Hue Jackson, source said. They'd like to close it out.

I wonder if this is Hue's agent using Rapaport to get leverage on another opening. Rapaport was the guy who reported in 2013 that Chip Kelly to Cleveland was a done deal.

@rapsheet

Things are about to get interesting. #Browns are set to make a big push to hire Hue Jackson, source said. They'd like to close it out.

I wonder if this is Hue's agent using Rapaport to get leverage on another opening. Rapaport was the guy who reported in 2013 that Chip Kelly to Cleveland was a done deal.

Hmm. I heard from a very good source (my only NFL source I have to say) that Jackson was going to be offered the 49ers job yesterday as long as everything was aligned in the interview. That, as I understand it, is the job he wants. They obviously didn't offer it yesterday and it would not surprise me if his agent (who may or may not be close to the person who is my source - I say no more) is trying to bounce the 49ers into a decision. I have no doubt Jackson will take whatever job is there for him... he wants to be a HC again..... but the 49ers is his preferred choice.

Hmm. I heard from a very good source (my only NFL source I have to say) that Jackson was going to be offered the 49ers job yesterday as long as everything was aligned in the interview. That, as I understand it, is the job he wants. They obviously didn't offer it yesterday and it would not surprise me if his agent (who may or may not be close to the person who is my source - I say no more) is trying to bounce the 49ers into a decision. I have no doubt Jackson will take whatever job is there for him... he wants to be a HC again..... but the 49ers is his preferred choice.

i saw that too on Hue/Niners (just on Twitter from a Niners reporter) but then saw today that Niners put in a request to interview Coughlin. Who knows but both sides could potentially be playing games as they negotiate the deal though they may both want the other. Edited by YoloinOhio

More posturing to get the Niners or Giants to make a move

@mikegarafolo

Browns are a legit contender for Hue Jackson in large part because they offered a big say in personnel, sources say.

As the front office no longer has "football guys" in it, I suppose the coach might get extra input. Though it seems to add more twists to the power flow chart