Pettine officially fired by Browns; Marrone to interview

YoloinOhio

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Charlie Casserly would "hire him in a minute". Yet another poor judgement example of why Casserly is no longer in the NFL.

Anyone else think Casserly looks like a poorly crafted marionette?

Another tidbit was that Marrone's reason for bailing was that he was uncomfortable with his contract situation. That is vague, but I think it has to mean that he wanted an extension and the Pegulas wouldn't give him one. That's not new news, but it's good confirmation and it makes sense why teams would question that. I've been somewhat critical of Whaley, but I've got to give him credit. He didn't pull what Marrone did even though he could have. He showed he wanted to be here and was willing to earn his place under the new ownership. Marrone could have done that, but bailed. It really speaks to the difference in character between the two.

It seems the Browns are talking to EVERY candidate, but I can't tell if it's them doing due diligence or if they have to cast a very wide net just to find someone semi qualified who'll take the job.

And every candidate asks the same question:

"So who would I be reporting to...the trucking guy, the lawyer, or the baseball guy?"

It seems the Browns are talking to EVERY candidate, but I can't tell if it's them doing due diligence or if they have to cast a very wide net just to find someone semi qualified who'll take the job.

some of both IMO. Who is doing the interviews? Sashi and Jimmy? Is DePodesta in the house yet? I think they have smarter decision making now at a high level, but they don't have a single football person involved in the coaching interviews.

would enjoy seeing pettine return...liked how he worked with our defense and he may be able to make something of this miscommunicated, nonperforming unit

After alluding to coaching staff "changes" to be expected, have not heard much from OBD. I would have to think that Whaley would take a look at Pettine as DC/AHC. He knows Rex/the system and the players. He wouldn't need the full makeover on D to get this thing back on track. Maybe they're letting him spin wheels with all the HC gigs out there for a while.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

On his podcast, Carucci, who was in Cleveland when Pettine was hired, threw cold water at the possibility of Pettine's return. He thinks that there's still a bit of resentment between Ryan & Pettine.

Can't discount egos in this situation. Ryan made Pettine the fall guy for a drop off in Jets' D and took a lateral position with the Bills. He probably thought that he was a bigger contributor than what Rex gave him credit for. Now that he's flamed out as a head coach, coming back to Buffalo would be an admission that he still needs Rex.

I think his return would be good for both sides, but I don't see it happening.

On his podcast, Carucci, who was in Cleveland when Pettine was hired, threw cold water at the possibility of Pettine's return. He thinks that there's still a bit of resentment between Ryan & Pettine.

Can't discount egos in this situation. Ryan made Pettine the fall guy for a drop off in Jets' D and took a lateral position with the Bills. He probably thought that he was a bigger contributor than what Rex gave him credit for. Now that he's flamed out as a head coach, coming back to Buffalo would be an admission that he still needs Rex.

Vic said this? When is Pettine's Presser? :lol:

Yep. Pettine will want desperately to go to a team with an offensive minded HC. It's hard to say whether there was bad blood at all between Pettine and Rex; maybe maybe not. Pettine just wanted to get out of Rex's shadow because he felt he was ready, as a stepping stone to a HC job. That doesn't at all mean that he wanted to get away from Rex.

Vic said this? When is Pettine's Presser? :lol:

Vic's report: Ryan made Pettine the fall guy for a drop off in Jets' D and took a lateral position with the Bills. He probably thought that he was a bigger contributor than what Rex gave him credit for. Now that he's flamed out as a head coach, coming back to Buffalo would be an admission that he still needs Rex.

Reality: Ryan credited Pettine with the success of the D, and tried to help get Pettine out from his shadow, including by helping get the Browns job when it came open. Now that he has flamed out, coming back to Buffalo would be a great landing spot for Pettine to resurrect his reputation, and get back in the HC mix.

Maybe Pettine goes back with Marrone if he gets hired somewhere (other than Cleveland)

Marrone is going back to JAX is my guess. If you missed it, you should have a listen to Don Banks' assessment of this Marrone "Hot Coaching Candidate" Phenomenon: http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Don-Banks-They-had-enough-to-win/a109e57a-c1a3-4b9f-a251-aac2fbc7658d

Vic's report: Ryan made Pettine the fall guy for a drop off in Jets' D and took a lateral position with the Bills. He probably thought that he was a bigger contributor than what Rex gave him credit for. Now that he's flamed out as a head coach, coming back to Buffalo would be an admission that he still needs Rex.

Reality: Ryan credited Pettine with the success of the D, and tried to help get Pettine out from his shadow, including by helping get the Browns job when it came open. Now that he has flamed out, coming back to Buffalo would be a great landing spot for Pettine to resurrect his reputation, and get back in the HC mix.

Agree with the first part of your reality but not the second. If the Bills defense became good under Pettine in the next year or two Rex would still get the majority of the credit. Pettine got the HC opportunity because he stepped out of Rex's shadow and turned the Bills defense around in one year on his own. Edited by Kelly the Dog

I think Marrone is an average head coach.

He seems to be able to get good assistants. Pepper and Schwartz for example.

So far, dead average: 25-25 in college, 15-17 in the NFL. Although the sample size is small- only 6 seasons total of head coaching experience- which may be a concern in itself.

There's nothing in his record that says he's a top guy. You'd have to sense something in his character or in an interview to put your faith in him, IMO. Maybe somebody will.