Lacanfora:Showdown could be brewing b/w Whaley,coaches

YoloinOhio

The Pegula's seem like slow learners. Set the Sabres back a few years with poor decisions, now take an up and coming Bills team and set them back. If Pegula hired Rex without Whaley's approval, it's all on him. Any sports fan could tell you the need for a GM and coach to be totally on the same page. According to initial press reports, the parties involved did say they were exactly on the same page, so what's the issue? Is this just more speculation without facts?

I hate to say it, but I could see the same scenario with the Sabres happening with the Bills. The Pegula's will throw a bunch of money into the team, but the results will stay the same. In about two or three years, they will have a complete overhaul, new GM, new coaches, new players, etc... So we might as well expect the playoff drought to extend, making it 19 or 20 years.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that was more media driven than an actual preference by Roman or another coach. Cassel is an awful starting QB.

Whaley was correct on this one. Even EJ is a better QB than Cassel. Although I don't think there is any doubt that the team will move on from EJ at the end of the season. A rookie (look at McCarron in Cincy) would be better than EJ at this point.

I hate to say it, but I could see the same scenario with the Sabres happening with the Bills. The Pegula's will throw a bunch of money into the team, but the results will stay the same. In about two or three years, they will have a complete overhaul, new GM, new coaches, new players, etc... So we might as well expect the playoff drought to extend, making it 19 or 20 years.

Slow or not. At least we have owners who care about winning. There are plenty of owners in other sports who don't care as long as they are making money off the team (Bob Nutting--Pirates).

Re Roman v. Whaley, I have to think that some of that boils down to the EJ issue. Roman reportedly preferred Cassel early in camp. I can't imagine he was thrilled with the trade, regardless of Cassel's quality as a player. That stuff lingers.

Yeah, but I think it was more about EJ moving up from 3rd-string than losing Cassel. If EJ got cut or traded before Week 1, everything would've been a lot cleaner... no way that was happening after the Steelers pre-season game though.

I'm telling ya, that stuff lingers regardless of the outcome (Cassel's performance in Dallas). Roman is highly likely one of those coaches who wanted nothing to do with Manuel. Anyway, it's less about the player at a certain point than the perceived undermining.

Yep, beat me to it.

Slow or not. At least we have owners who care about winning. There are plenty of owners in other sports who don't care as long as they are making money off the team (Bob Nutting--Pirates).

Trust me, I'm glad they care and they invest money into they team, I just wish they would make better decisions. It seems like they're trying to run their sports teams like their businesses and it just doesn't work.

I'm telling ya, that stuff lingers regardless of the outcome (Cassel's performance in Dallas). Roman is highly likely one of those coaches who wanted nothing to do with Manuel. Anyway, it's less about the player at a certain point than the perceived undermining.

I certainly won't discount this when there are egos involved.

They forgot the part about moving on from Rex Ryan...

That will be next season...

I've been half halfheartedly joking that they need to clean house, burn it all down. My guess in with in 3 years it will all happen. This year new czar; whether it is (Polian who brings in AJ Smith as GM- as he said he would), Wolf or Banner would all be my guesses (not a fan of Casserly) and a GM. Next year if things don't go the right way with Rex, buh-bye. A new front office structure allows you to move on from the coach without any ramifications.

Didn't Marrone also have a showdown with Whaley and try to get him canned?

For the record, I think Whaley has done a decent job. But does he have issues working with coaches? This is 2 for 2 now, if this is true (the issues between him and St. Doug blew up in public and resulted in Marrone trying to get him fired then quitting).

Terry hired one of his sports heroes (Lafontaine) to run his hockey team and ended up having a blowup with him and "agreeing to part ways" shortly thereafter. What was it, a couple months?

The Pegulas are going to be hands on whether we (or any of their employees) like it or not.

My point is that they are going to do whatever they think is right with the team, regardless of timing windows or costs. Sadly, it looks like another "interesting" offseason is coming.

Some parts of this report just don't make sense. Roman is the problem? The offense has been the better unit all season IMO.

Maybe the problem is that Roman doesn't like EJ?

Edited by TheFunPolice

Terry hired one of his sports heroes (Lafontaine) to run his hockey team and ended up having a blowup with him and "agreeing to part ways" shortly thereafter. What was it, a couple months?

The Pegulas are going to be hands on whether we (or any of their employees) like it or not.

My point is that they are going to do whatever they think is right with the team, regardless of timing windows or costs. Sadly, it looks like another "interesting" offseason is coming.

Some parts of this report just don't make sense. Roman is the problem? The offense has been the better unit all season IMO.

Maybe the problem is that Roman doesn't like EJ?

Ya think? He saw first hand what happened in London, the final nail in the coffin.

I just can't imagine why after all the issues with the team this season the GM could come down to Roman as the problem.

The only thing I can think of (if it's a true report) is that Roman just wants nothing to do with EJ and maybe Whaley is frustrated by that.

I just have concerns when the GM seems to be unable to coexist with Marrone and now Rex and Co. Two VERY different personality types.

Roman can be pretty abrasive and in your face, so maybe he's too similar to Marrone for Whaley's liking?

Awesome. No wonder this team keeps spinning it's wheels.

Meanwhile a QB we ran out of town and we called "the worst ever" is leading his team to the playoffs. We deserve this.

You had to go and ruin a solid point with a Fitz reference. If only we'd kept him things would be great!. :doh:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25419914/showdown-between-whaley-and-coaching-staff-could-be-brewing-in-buffalo

Whaley made the worse decision of them all with EJ and then added to this by trading for Sammy in a very strong receiver draft. Those are the type of decisions that set franchises back for years.

Someone explain where this team is "held back?" We have talent up and down the roster. Too bad our coach doesn't have a clue as to what to do with it.

Whaley had issues with Marrone to the point that he got into a screaming match with him at camp.

Marrone then tried to orchestrate a power play with his friend/mentor Polian that would have almost certainly led to Whaley being gone and Marrone having pretty much total power with Polian's son as his "partner" in personnel.

When it fell through St. Doug had no choice but to walk. He couldn't stay.

Now here we are 1 year later. More problems between GM and coaches.

I said before that I am ok with the job Whaley has done. I don't think he needs to be fired. I also don't think that he's done an amazing job. If he is causing issues in the chemistry of the organization his performance doesn't justify it.

Awesome. No wonder this team keeps spinning it's wheels. Meanwhile a QB we ran out of town and we called "the worst ever" is leading his team to the playoffs. We deserve this.

haha I find it so funny how people are fawning over fitzpatrick. he is the same QB, only with competent coaches who know how to win with the talents they are given. Something that he never experienced here, in Buffalo, and would still NOT experience if he were still here, in Buffalo.

I have said Rex needs to purge his staff of old thinking. Hire younger and energetic coaches. Roman's offense has been scatter shot. Bring in an OC that understands the changing nature of offenses in the NFL. Whaley is not bad at judging talent nor is he the best. I would hate to see him go.

Awesome. No wonder this team keeps spinning it's wheels. Meanwhile a QB we ran out of town and we called "the worst ever" is leading his team to the playoffs. We deserve this.

Yup, the fans "ran Fitzpatrick out of town." Sane and plausible as ever PTR.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Since the game blows...

John Wawrow @john_wawrow 2h2 hours ago Buffalo, NY

Ummmm, I'd throttle the defcon levels down a few notches. All this panicky speculation seems a bit off, inre: #Bills.

John Wawrow @john_wawrow 2h2 hours ago Buffalo, NY

Swimming against the overly speculative stream here, but a few texts were enough to suggest there's not much panicky smoke to this fire.

6 retweets 6 likes
John Wawrow @john_wawrow 1h1 hour ago Buffalo, NY

John Wawrow Retweeted Matt Creenan

Tension, sure. But there's a lot of reading inbetween the lines here for some to reach conclusions that aren't there

John Wawrow @john_wawrow 51m51 minutes ago Buffalo, NY

"Weird," is how I termed this blast of reports this morning. "Weird," is also the reply I got.

Zac Gershberg @DrGersh

@john_wawrow would you attribute this 2-year anti-Whaley campaign to a specific leaker within org or just typical sports media speculation?

John Wawrow @john_wawrow 50m50 minutes ago Buffalo, NY

John Wawrow Retweeted Zac Gershberg

Someone's pushing an agenda.

BuffChris @cecarl62

@john_wawrow @DrGersh interesting...pushing an agenda...can you speculate on who JW?

John Wawrow @john_wawrow 44m44 minutes ago Buffalo, NY

John Wawrow Retweeted BuffChris

No. Then I'd be making the mistake others are making inre: speculation.

Edited by Reed83HOF

Since the game blows...

John Wawrow ‏@john_wawrow 2h2 hours ago Buffalo, NY

Ummmm, I'd throttle the defcon levels down a few notches. All this panicky speculation seems a bit off, inre: #Bills.

John Wawrow ‏@john_wawrow 2h2 hours ago Buffalo, NY

Swimming against the overly speculative stream here, but a few texts were enough to suggest there's not much panicky smoke to this fire.

6 retweets 6 likes
John Wawrow ‏@john_wawrow 1h1 hour ago Buffalo, NY

John Wawrow Retweeted Matt Creenan

Tension, sure. But there's a lot of reading inbetween the lines here for some to reach conclusions that aren't there

John Wawrow ‏@john_wawrow 51m51 minutes ago Buffalo, NY

"Weird," is how I termed this blast of reports this morning. "Weird," is also the reply I got.

Zac Gershberg ‏@DrGersh

@john_wawrow would you attribute this 2-year anti-Whaley campaign to a specific leaker within org or just typical sports media speculation?

John Wawrow ‏@john_wawrow 50m50 minutes ago Buffalo, NY

John Wawrow Retweeted Zac Gershberg

Someone's pushing an agenda.

BuffChris ‏@cecarl62

@john_wawrow @DrGersh interesting...pushing an agenda...can you speculate on who JW?

John Wawrow ‏@john_wawrow 44m44 minutes ago Buffalo, NY

John Wawrow Retweeted BuffChris

No. Then I'd be making the mistake others are making inre: speculation.

I love JW!

You had to go and ruin a solid point with a Fitz reference. If only we'd kept him things would be great!. :doh:

we would be better off today for having kept fitz. he would have done as good or better then orton and manuel and whoever else we have started the last 3 years. he was durable and didn't miss games. if manuel progressed great. we would likely have still been pursuing other qb's and all of that.

haha I find it so funny how people are fawning over fitzpatrick. he is the same QB, only with competent coaches who know how to win with the talents they are given. Something that he never experienced here, in Buffalo, and would still NOT experience if he were still here, in Buffalo.

there are people who simply feel we would have been better not cutting fitz, investing the money and possibly restructuring the contract down the road.

so yeah, no one is really fawning over fitz. just knowing we'd have been better with him on the team than not.

His son is...

MPegula ‏@MattyPegula

Good job D really just playing great today 1f44c-1f3fd.png1f44d-1f3fd.png

i worry he is serious. maybe he is?