Who Has The Biggest Ego In The NFL ??

T master

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really understood why people get so worked up about someone dancing or celebrating a TD. Who cares? If you don't want a guy to dance in the end zone or after a sack or whatever, stop the play!!! Are you a better person because you hand the ball to the official and jog to the sideline instead of posing like Superman and handing the ball to a kid??? Do we not like Fred Jackson anymore because of his showboating "Infredible Hulk" routine??? Is the Gronk spike a problem or is he just having fun? Maybe it is a generational thing (I hope) but it is really misguided IMO. Having fun and celebrating is NOT what is wrong with the NFL. Domestic violence, concussions, etc... are where we should focus our venom.

Celebrating a 'big' play is not the issue in my mind. It's the attention seeking "look at me" crap that occurs after regular plays....and the idiocy of celebrating 'anything' that occurs while your team is getting it's azz handed to them.

Celebrations are great but there is a time and a place...so to speak.

To the OP....it's Jerry Jones by a mile.

Although he isn't technically in the NFL anymore, anybody who asks his players to carry him off the field after a win against his former team, has a pretty big ego.

A regular season win... in week 5... against the lions... :bag:

He's quieted down now that they're losing more, but Richard Sherman.

But this shows that at least he gets it. When you win, you can talk, when you lose, you look dumb.

Edited by PortlandiaEast

Celebrating a 'big' play is not the issue in my mind. It's the attention seeking "look at me" crap that occurs after regular plays....and the idiocy of celebrating 'anything' that occurs while your team is getting it's azz handed to them.

Celebrations are great but there is a time and a place...so to speak.

To the OP....it's Jerry Jones by a mile.

That's fair and I totally agree. The guy from the Bears that blew out his knee (while getting blown out) doing the "discount double check" was the most ridiculous of all.

The topic comes up every so often around here and everyone gets really sensitive. I will tread carefully but it always feels like there is a racial undertone when it comes to the topic (and I am white). It has that "thug" feeling to me. I know that everyone will say, "no" and that "I am the one that brought that up" and "it never crossed their minds" but I'm just being honest. It is rare that you hear anyone complain about the aforementioned "discount double check" but Cam Dabbing is a topic on Sportscenter. You rarely hear people talking about Edleman and he may celebrate and taunt more than anyone in the league.

Maybe it is more of a generational thing. I am 34 and it doesn't bother me at all. My dad is 64 and it annoys him. He doesn't hate it but he kind of gives the eye roll when someone dances. I guess that I just don't understand why someone cares (assuming that it is a big play)?

That's fair and I totally agree. The guy from the Bears that blew out his knee (while getting blown out) doing the "discount double check" was the most ridiculous of all.

The topic comes up every so often around here and everyone gets really sensitive. I will tread carefully but it always feels like there is a racial undertone when it comes to the topic (and I am white). It has that "thug" feeling to me. I know that everyone will say, "no" and that "I am the one that brought that up" and "it never crossed their minds" but I'm just being honest. It is rare that you hear anyone complain about the aforementioned "discount double check" but Cam Dabbing is a topic on Sportscenter. You rarely hear people talking about Edleman and he may celebrate and taunt more than anyone in the league.

Maybe it is more of a generational thing. I am 34 and it doesn't bother me at all. My dad is 64 and it annoys him. He doesn't hate it but he kind of gives the eye roll when someone dances. I guess that I just don't understand why someone cares (assuming that it is a big play)?

It's definitely a generational thing. My dad (60) hates it. He's a classic "Do your f***ing job" and "You never saw [insert Bills player from the past] doing that!" I was the same way for a while, then realized that they're playing a game.

I love Cam Newton - the guy has a blast playing football and I don't have an issue with his celebrations. He deserves to live it up.

Could you imagine if Brady danced like a buffoon everytime he found the endzone? We would all hate him even more.

I prefer people who act like they've been there before. This can be applied to almost any profession. It gets old and I see it as immature.

#getoffmylawn

cam is a piece of chit , look at me, look at me guy. how all his pre meditated choreographed antics aren't excessive celebration or taunting is beyond me.

then he tries to coverup his image by giving game balls to young fans.

I root against him.

I'm with you. I know my judgement of this stuff is neither here nor there. It's just not my style and I see it as the opposite of humble.

Maybe not better, but certainly a little more mature. IMO a grown man doing a dance every time he does something he's paid to do is pretty silly. I don't have a problem with it because I don't really care, but also find it hard to understand how another grown man watching the game would get excited about it or think it was 'great'. I always thought the Fred Jackson thing was a little ridiculous for a guy who was supposed to be a leader of men.

Of course, the league penalizing the team and potentially changing the outcome of the game because of such displays is even sillier, although that seems to have become less frequent since the Stevie Johnson days.

Yes he should definitely try to suppress the adrenaline of making a huge play in front of 75,000 cheering fans and living out his dreams of playing on the greatest stage in sports. Totally. It's the same as filling out Excel sheets Monday through Friday. Just do your job. Right?

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

Yes he should definitely try to suppress the adrenaline of making a huge play in front of 75,000 cheering fans and living out his dreams of playing on the greatest stage in sports. Totally. It's the same as filling out Excel sheets Monday through Friday. Just do your job. Right?

Ohhhh...so adrenaline is what caused Travis Kelce to do a ridiculous ten second dance after scoring on us. A loud scream and fist pump doesn't get that adrenaline out, only a practiced dance does the trick. :rolleyes:

I agree there is some cultural aspect that results in black guys being more likely to celebrate (Dr. Harry Edwards had an interesting take on this years ago) but I'm not convinced the color of the player is what makes people more or less turned off by it. No one in the history of the NFL was hated more for his celebrating than Mark Gastineau.

The reason no one mentions the guy from the Bears is because no one can even name him. Had it been a player of Cam Newton's stature, he certainly would have been ridiculed more regardless of color (as was the kicker who blew out his knee celebrating -- one of the Gramaticas IIRC, or the QB who injured his neck head-butting the goal post several years ago; both white guys).

See that's the issue -- it's not adrenaline when you have the presence of mind to run to the same corner of the end zone and do your same little routine every time.

If you are the former practice squad guy for the Ravens who returned the blocked FG for a TD on the last play of MNF, or you are Stanford's kicker who drilled a 45 yarder at the buzzer to win a huge game Saturday, then go ahead and celebrate/dance/run in circle/etc. That's a spontaneous reaction and appropriate for the situation. But if you are Cam Newton (or even Fred Jackson), who has been playing professionally for years, earns millions of dollars and has scored dozens of touchdown, your choreographed LAMP celebration after a one yard TD run in the first quarter of week 3 is simply juvenile. And of course it's even worse if it's merely a first down catch or a tackle.

p.s. and clearly you've never balanced a complex excel spreadsheet!

Peyton Manning.

And what on earth are you going to do when Manning finally retires! :lol:

Edited by KD in CT

Lol, and they say it's the league making the NFL the No Fun League.

Let them celebrate however they want after scoring a TD, they are having fun playing a game that grown men are coming out to watch and fantasize over playing computer games and pretending to be GMs. Is it any worse then the fans fist pumping and celebrating when their teams score or make a big play?

Big celebrations over small plays like gaining a few yards or just making a stop or catch are pretty ridiculous, but scoring a TD, unless your team is down by a huge amount and the game is out of hand, should be celebrated and the players should do whatever they want.

Players known for celebration that never get ridiculed. Aaron Rodgers. Clay Matthews. JJ Watt.

Players that do/did: Cam Newton, TO, Randy Moss.

Hmm?

you forgot Ocho

If your celebration involves props, that might be a little much.......

Could you imagine if Brady danced like a buffoon everytime he found the endzone? We would all hate him even more.

I prefer people who act like they've been there before. This can be applied to almost any profession. It gets old and I see it as immature.

#getoffmylawn

I'm with you. I know my judgement of this stuff is neither here nor there. It's just not my style and I see it as the opposite of humble.

If Cam Newton were the Bills QB, would you feel the same?

Lol, and they say it's the league making the NFL the No Fun League.

Let them celebrate however they want after scoring a TD, they are having fun playing a game that grown men are coming out to watch and fantasize over playing computer games and pretending to be GMs. Is it any worse then the fans fist pumping and celebrating when their teams score or make a big play?

Big celebrations over small plays like gaining a few yards or just making a stop or catch are pretty ridiculous, but scoring a TD, unless your team is down by a huge amount and the game is out of hand, should be celebrated and the players should do whatever they want.

you forgot Ocho

If your celebration involves props, that might be a little much.......

Chad Johnson Ochocinco Johnson actually is an egomaniac. Any player who changes their name to something "funny," regardless of color, team, or skill level, truely is an ego maniac.

Fair points and it's hard to tell. i'm 44 and white and Cam causes me no grief. It's also easy to see how preconceived feelings would cause a person to react differently (as you pointed out).

There are lots of variables here. Allegiance is a key as well. Brady celebrates after TD's in any game and (although I recognize that's 'appropriate').... he drives me nuts. Cam does it and it doesn't bother me at all...unless it's against the Bills. Fred Jackson does it and I love it. We are all coming to this 'table' with preferences (Bills) so it's probably difficult to separate any true underlying prejudice(s). Especially considering how emotionally invested football fans are (in general).

Rex Ryan, hands down. His continued belief that he is an exceptional coach despite the reality of his record tells me he is a pure egomaniac. I was all for this hire, but that was before I witnessed how his teams perform on a weekly basis.

Perhaps Rex's egomania is phony. His bluster and big talk may be nothing more than a cover up for his knowledge that he doesn't really know what he's doing. It's not uncommon for big talkers to mask their deficiencies with babble. Mr. Trump can justify his egomania with his record of success. What record does Rex have to inflate his ego?

Perhaps Rex's egomania is phony. His bluster and big talk may be nothing more than a cover up for his knowledge that he doesn't really know what he's doing. It's not uncommon for big talkers to mask their deficiencies with babble. Mr. Trump can justify his egomania with his record of success. What record does Rex have to inflate his ego?

Multiple bankruptices and failed marriages. Yep...Success! :lol:

Not sure tha tCam is egotistical, sure he's just having fun. But he almost cried when someone heckled him about his completely corrupt college career at the Clemson game.

Can't be Rex. His boasts and promises are more sad than evidence of a big ego.

This ego thing is really subjective to be honest. Would it honestly be wrong to say almost every "Star" is egotistical to some degree? I mean we all even thought that Sammy Watkins was this good character quiet kid until he ran his mouth and let us know how he really felt. I think we need to look at this ego topic realistically. These are young men 21 to mid 30's who are multi-multi millionaires. Their faces are posted on billboards, all over TV, radio, some even mentioned by the president. They get into clubs free, they get followed by paparazzi. Not to mention most of these guys have been treated special like this since they were in high school. I'd think you'd have to have a substantially larger ego than any ordinary Joe to sustain that lifestyle.

Biggest ego in the NFL. I will name a few: Rex Ryan, Rob Ryan, Richard Sherman, O'dell Beckham JR., Colin Kaepernick, Robert Kraft, Steve Smith, the Irsays, Cam Newton might have the biggest one though

How about the little jerk you advocated for the other day named Manziel?