The Honeymoon Period is Over With The Pegulas

K-Apps

Yes really.

Terry could make another $1B with a wave of his hand, as could most of the NFL owners.

These teams are his play toys. Owning natural gas rich lands is his money-maker.

I'll agree with the play toys idea. But between annual profits and appreciation value, he is making a ton of $$$$$$$

In making a list of what's wrong with the Bills, the Pegulas are at the very bottom.

Rex's challenge flag throwing is terrible. Someone else should handle that. That said, Reid had a terrible challenge in the game today as well.

The biggest deficiencies are on the field. The D and O lines are subpar with the injuries. K. Williams and A. Williams being out leads to missed tackles at the LOS and in the secondary.

Gotta hand it to the players. They found yet another creative way to loose the game. Leaving Macklin wide-open while covering other WR's all season, and fumbling the ball.

Not too stick up too hard for Rex because he really screwed the pooch here today, but the biggest difference between last years defense and this one is we had much better luck with injuries last year. Some people forget that Rivers and Brady marched up and down the field at will against last year's incredible Bills defense.

I'll agree with the play toys idea. But between annual profits and appreciation value, he is making a ton of $$$$$$$

Right...my intent was to refute the idea that the Pegulas are involved purely to make money.

They want to usher in an era of success for both teams; making $$ is secondary

Right...my intent was to refute the idea that the Pegulas are involved purely to make money.

They want to usher in an era of success for both teams; making $$ is secondary

Agree.. I'd expect the Pegula's only want a positive cash-flow (which a 4 years or more Business graduate knows is different from profit )

What owner has no say at all in hiring/firing of coaches?

My point is that football personnel such as Whaley should be the ones that dictate that call and Pegulas should be ones to ok the decision, Pegulas should not make an executive decision like that without input from the football personnel.

I would be amazed if just about every coach in the league who's been hired as a HC isn't interviewed by the owner. I can't imagine any owner not wanting to talk with the person who like it or not will become the face of their franchise. I'd be equally amazed if both RB and DW weren't also completely on board wit h this hire, in fact more than likely one of not both of them recommended hiring Rex, and TP approved it.

It's no different than how most businesses when hiring someone, the interviewee speaks with the hiring manager, the hiring managers boss, and likely someone in HR at a minimum.

So to suggest TP shouldn't be interviewing the coach is completely clueless about how these processes typically work.

Anytime your owners are involved with hiring anyone except for the executive VP in charge of football operations, it is a huge mistake. They shouldn't be involved with the interviewing or have any say in the hiring/firing of a GM/personnel guys/coaches. NONE.

And you know this wasn't what happend? How, can you explain, were you in the room when DW said no t oRex and TP told him, well I don't care I'm the owner and I'm going to hire him anyway!!

My point is that football personnel such as Whaley should be the ones that dictate that call and Pegulas should be ones to ok the decision, Pegulas should not make an executive decision like that without input from the football personnel.

I wonder how many other Head Coaches report to the owner.....not to many I am guessing. (maybe Bellicheck) Reason we have it....a light weight GM....Rex (and many other coaching candidates) would not agree to report to Whaley. I think the whole thing either needs to be blown up at the top....and bring in a football guy to run it....or, take a chance and see if Whaley can grow up fast and hire his own coach. I think the Pegs bought Rex line of BS....great interview, meh coach.

Levy was wrong about character. It is about intelligence. The Bills have not had in the front office or the coaching staff since Polian left.

The list of morons that are allowed to make million dollar decision is just unreal. Even the smart QB threw dumb interceptions.

Brandon, Whaley, Rex et al are all in over their collective heads. These people have shown time and again they are not capable of making multimillion dollar decisions during the off-season or during a game. No fortune 500 company lets people of such limited skill sets have this much power and control over the final product.

We have a QB and coaching staff that can't call the second play of the two minute drill. Is that the QB who is unable to remember two plays? Is that a coaching staff that can't prepare their players.

It is time for a wholesale change.

That assumes they actually want to win. If making money, selling tickets, and making training camp into a carnival are the main points, then nothing changes.

I wonder how many other Head Coaches report to the owner.....not to many I am guessing. (maybe Bellicheck) Reason we have it....a light weight GM....Rex (and many other coaching candidates) would not agree to report to Whaley. I think the whole thing either needs to be blown up at the top....and bring in a football guy to run it....or, take a chance and see if Whaley can grow up fast and hire his own coach. I think the Pegs bought Rex line of BS....great interview, meh coach.

This sounds ridiculous, It's pretty sure Pegulas really bought into Rex and his reputation as a defensive guru hence they have him direct reporting to them, as nothing to do with Whaley in that regard. If they hired Hue Jackson, do you think he would get the same type of leeway.

I think BigK is spot on here. A competent GM, a competent coach, and find a big time quarterback for the first time in 20 years! This whole thing is just so redundant, I can't even stand to watch anymore. Same old story for 20 years now, and enough is enough!

Oh my God.. express your rage today about the loss.

But STOP with the "fire" people" dialogue.

Would Sun Tzu or Karl Clausewitz fire people based on a lost battle? No. They realize the difference between a battle and a campaign. Sometimes you lose a battle when winning a campaign.

Especially STOP with the Pegula's are in this for the money meme.. so immature.

It is time for a wholesale change.

That assumes they actually want to win. If making money, selling tickets, and making training camp into a carnival are the main points, then nothing changes.

Maybe the Pegulas are only interested in making money off of desperate Buffalo fans.

That might be the (lack of) character that Marv Levy was talking about that applies now.

The Pegulas are making a lot of money. That's the only reason why they own the Sabres and the Bills.

Let's dissect this post: they make a lot of money so they can afford the Sabres and Bills; so they bought the teams because they make a lot of money and for no other reason. Hmmm. Perhaps there's more here than meets the eye, such as if you make a lot of money you undoubtedly buy a pro sport franchise? Hmmm.

You, young man.. or young girl.. need to get a grip.

1. The only reason the Bills are in Bflo to make you upset is because of TP.

2. If you expect instant NFL winnings because of one season of changes... you are wrong.

It's premature at this point to be raging at TP or RR. For context: Belicheck was 5-11 his first season with the Patsys.

Right about TP but wrong about RR. Prior to B's first season as head coach of the Pats, I don't believe he had ever been an NFL head coach whereas Rex has a bit of a record in that regard. Plus B quickly became a great head coach; we're still waiting for Rex.

As much as I like the fact the Pegulas bought the team and are committed to keep the team in Buffalo. As owners I have not been impressed with them as owner. I know I know, they have only been owners for a year, but the biggest decision they have made so far was hiring Rex Ryan. The sheer fact that they were ones that hired him personally instead of allowing Whaley and the other football personnel do it is just the type of hand-on approach that a constant criticism of the Ralph Wilson era. Pegula made a similar mistake early in his Sabres tenure instead of letting go the Reiger/Ruff regime, he lets the stick around and the Sabres collapse and are now re-building. I'm not saying the Pegulas are bad owners, I'm just questioning their ability to trust their football personnel and empower them instead of stepping on their shoes and making executive decision without their input.

You have to figure that they were swayed by the CEO, and GM into thinking that they had a plan in place and needed to see it run its course. That was probably the reason that the new owners never did hire that football czar they attempted to hire in Bill Polian.

How long these new owners will continue to listen to that CEO, and GM really depends on how the team finishes this year. I would think not for long if the team continues to lose games the way they lost this one!

These new owners didn't become billionaires by making stupid decisions or hiring stupid people. Give them some time, and they will make the right changes.

This was discussed here a couple of weeks ago. It is a new management model now common in the NFL

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats.

This is the most uninformed statement I'll read today.

Well done...again.

Got that right!!!

In making a list of what's wrong with the Bills, the Pegulas are at the very bottom.

Rex's challenge flag throwing is terrible. Someone else should handle that. That said, Reid had a terrible challenge in the game today as well.

The biggest deficiencies are on the field. The D and O lines are subpar with the injuries. K. Williams and A. Williams being out leads to missed tackles at the LOS and in the secondary.

Gotta hand it to the players. They found yet another creative way to loose the game. Leaving Macklin wide-open while covering other WR's all season, and fumbling the ball.

Thanks, a common sense posting; finally!

Are we really piling on the Pegulas now?

woooow

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Maybe the Pegulas are only interested in making money off of desperate Buffalo fans.

That might be the (lack of) character that Marv Levy was talking about that applies now.

pegula said " if I want to make more money I will drill another well". pegula is new to the league.

His football advisers are not top notch. he may understand that now. if they were this coaching staff right down to Crossman would not be here.

Move Brandon to the Sabres only. IMO,he is part of the old guard and sucks. he's the guy only interested in making money.

And he sells inferior product year after year. from TO to Ryan. And the fanbase slurps it up every year. Like abused puppy's.

then they would have stayed in oil :doh:

They already made their money in oil, by getting in early. They sold while the market was peak. The market had already peaked and was on the natural downside. Do you really think the Sabers and Bills are not a good long term investment? Buying the teams was a good investment, to think they did it just out of civic pride or for the community is naive. It is about business and speculation.

As far as his often quoted statement about " if he wanted more money, he would just drill another well". Pure bull. He made his money getting drilling rights and leases and then selling them to others who actually took the risks of drilling. He was a "speculator", buying cheap and selling high years later. Kind of like buying a sports team.

"In 2010, East Resources struck a $4.7 billion deal to sell its leases and assets to Royal Dutch Shell, the oil-and-gas giant that had taken an interest in the Marcellus." D&C

Edited by simpleman

Let's dissect this post: they make a lot of money so they can afford the Sabres and Bills; so they bought the teams because they make a lot of money and for no other reason. Hmmm. Perhaps there's more here than meets the eye, such as if you make a lot of money you undoubtedly buy a pro sport franchise? Hmmm.

Right about TP but wrong about RR. Prior to B's first season as head coach of the Pats, I don't believe he had ever been an NFL head coach whereas Rex has a bit of a record in that regard. Plus B quickly became a great head coach; we're still waiting for Rex.

He was head coach of the Browns and, no surprise with the Browns, he was fired. I believe he was HC of the Jets for a NY minute.