At this point

4merper4mer

Whaley is a lame duck GM and Rex should be fired after 1 season here. Haven't you been around for the last month or so?

Put me at the top of the list...and I've already apologized multiple times

But once more cannot hurt:

Darby was an excellent pick, and I would not trade him straight up for Jake Fisher

I'm surprised you were in that grouping, knowing your college FB knowledge. While I didn't know much about Darby (since he was not thrown to at FSU because he was all over guys all the time), it became immediately apparent to me after watching what I could on him, that he was a tremendous cover guy who can't catch at all. That has turned out to be mostly true although he does have a couple picks, he just mostly goes for the swat instead. One of the articles or videos was calling him "the invisible man" because he wouldn't show up in any box scores because they would just completely avoid throwing his way for strings of games at a time (had like 4 or 5 straight games of no stats last season). I've been calling him that in my circles ever since I saw that.

Here is my first post on Darby from the draft day thread:

"Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:04 PM

There's a reason you haven't heard of this guy and that he doesn't have a great highlight reel. Teams do not throw in his direction. To me, that's a great sign for a CB. Let's give him a chance, could be a shut down level guy that went under the radar."

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/178054-rd-2-pick-50-db-ronald-darby-florida-state/page-6#108

Edited by Mark80

You mean the 90% of the posters on TSW who freaked out over that pick?

Yeah, it's worth noting that in the Carolina pre-season game thread and after when Darby was brutalized (intentionally, as Rex "threw him to the wolves" in single coverage) most here were viciously attacking him!

I was defending his excellent coverage and a few others were agreeing, including "The Dean" as I recall. Kelso on the radio was complimenting him on his coverage in that game, even though a lot of passes were completed on him.

Anyway, he is a talented guy and we are lucky to have him!

Edited by Fadingpain

#GoingRogue!!

Whaley is Moby Dick to the haters Chasing a monster of their own imagination

Totally agree, when you look at this roster and the moves that Whaley has made I don't get the hate. He found a QB in a year where there were none, he drafted the DROY without a 1st, found a guy that has the longest TD streak to start and NFL career in the 4th, a starting guard in the 3rd, a starting guard out of the league, the most talented TE the franchise has maybe ever had, traded an injured LB for a Pro Bowl RB and that was just last offseason!!

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Totally agree, when you look at this roster and the moves that Whaley has made I don't get the hate. He found a QB in a year where there were none, he drafted the DROY without a 1st, found a guy that has the longest TD streak to start and NFL career in the 4th, a starting guard in the 3rd, a starting guard out of the league, the most talented TE the franchise has maybe ever had, traded an injured LB for a Pro Bowl RB and that was just last offseason!!

Yeah but have you heard him speak on the radio?!

The credit can't all go to Whaley for getting Darby. I'm sure Rex identified Darby as a perfect fit for his Defense, then advised Whaley. Sure Whaley had the final say and pulled the trigger on the pick, but I really doubt he was the one to discover Darby as "the guy" we need.

The credit can't all go to Whaley for getting Darby. I'm sure Rex identified Darby as a perfect fit for his Defense, then advised Whaley. Sure Whaley had the final say and pulled the trigger on the pick, but I really doubt he was the one to discover Darby as "the guy" we need.

You think Rex Ryan has the time to watch and scout college football games? Especially a guy that was way below the radar? Come on now. This is 100% personnel department.

Whaley and the rest of the scouting staff had been compiling reports on Darby for a year prior to the draft, as they do for most players. Now Rex, given his familiarity with the ACC through following his son's career at Clemson, probably new of Darby,but I doubt he had any opportunity for in depth analysis of him as a player until prior to the combine. A HC just doesn't have the time for scouting.

Rex certainly had input, but it was the scouts that identified Darby as a good fit for man cover schemes long before Rex agreed.

GO BILLS!!!

Whaley and the rest of the scouting staff had been compiling reports on Darby for a year prior to the draft, as they do for most players. Now Rex, given his familiarity with the ACC through following his son's career at Clemson, probably new of Darby,but I doubt he had any opportunity for in depth analysis of him as a player until prior to the combine. A HC just doesn't have the time for scouting.

Rex certainly had input, but it was the scouts that identified Darby as a good fit for man cover schemes long before Rex agreed.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't you get it yet? When the front office has a good pick the credit must be parsed out to multiple people because it's a team effort. When something goes wrong the blame must be focused entirely on the GM, even when said GM is an assistant GM he still gets all the blame as if he were the acting GM.

Makes total sense if you think about it.

I doubt it went like that at all. Scouts... Remember?

GO BILLS!!!

This.