The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

I was listening to a band's (Lotus) performance at some festival earlier this month. One of the band members was addressing the crowd before they played and opened with this "Can you please put down the Trump sign. It's very disturbing" I was certain he was going to say distracting which itself is a stretch. But disturbing? There's no crying in Rock and Roll!!! :cry::rolleyes:

They're so tolerant. If it was a picture of Che Guevara, Mao, Stalin, Tojo, or Pol Pot they wouldn't have a problem with it.

IT’S NOT JUST EMORY: This is from Harvard:

In a class I attended earlier this semester, a large portion of the first meeting was devoted to compiling a list of rules for class discussion. A student contended that as a woman, she would be unable to sit across from a student who declared that he was strongly against abortion, and the other students in the seminar vigorously defended this declaration. The professor remained silent. In a recent conversation with peers, I posed a question about a verse from the Bible. A Harvard employee in the room immediately interjected, informing me that we were in a safe space and I was thus not permitted to discuss the controversial biblical passage. And these are just stories from the past three months.

Cost of attending Harvard College: $64,400 per year.

ITS NOT JUST EMORY: This is from Harvard:

In a class I attended earlier this semester, a large portion of the first meeting was devoted to compiling a list of rules for class discussion. A student contended that as a woman, she would be unable to sit across from a student who declared that he was strongly against abortion, and the other students in the seminar vigorously defended this declaration. The professor remained silent. In a recent conversation with peers, I posed a question about a verse from the Bible. A Harvard employee in the room immediately interjected, informing me that we were in a safe space and I was thus not permitted to discuss the controversial biblical passage. And these are just stories from the past three months.

Cost of attending Harvard College: $64,400 per year.

An uber liberal friend of mine posted this letter on Facebook and even she was appalled.

And then a friend of hers posted this irony dripping gem:

The confusion with ignorance for free speech by some old people who aren't using their brains. If you continue to do thoughtless insensitive things we reserve the right to let you know it. I think the younger generation has been more creative and successful in their use of social media to combat people who waste their creativity on negativity. It sure beats what the 60's generation was doing.

Edited by Chef Jim

http://www.dailywire.com/news/4465/cultural-appropriation-black-female-accosts-white-robert-kraychik

In a video published on Monday, a black female said to be a campus employee accosts a white male said to be a student at San Francisco State University out of hostility to the “cultural appropriation” of his dreadlock hairstyle.

“You’re saying I can’t have a hairstyle, because of your culture? Why?” asks the white male, who appears to be wearing a dress.

“Because it’s my culture,” responds the black female.

...snip...

As the white male attempts to leave up a staircase, the black female grabs his left arm sleeve. Giving in to the pull, the white male demands to be left alone as he descends back to the main floor.

Seems like some pretty bad acting in that one.

Yeah, that looked very staged. I still want to punch everyone involved, though.

I'd also like to point out that the university system is part of Western European culture that she's appropriating, and by her own argument she should go back to the cattle farming of her Bantu ancestors (and wear a more culturally appropriate east African hairstyle than appropriate one from the culture of poodles that lick electrical sockets.)

I just saw that posted on FB today. So hairstyles are cultural now? I think I'll try that on the next black woman I see who has straightened her hair.

I totally don't get this appropriation thing. Blacks don't want whites or whoever to do anything that supposedly originated from their culture. Then, if their culture is ignored, they flip out..........Also, is Beyonce's hair naturally blonde?

It's like how I always see my black Facebook friends and others claim that all civilization came from Africa............Then, Meryl Streep said last month in response to a diversity question "We're all Africans anyway" and #blacktwitter flipped out.

Liberals eating up liberals. I love it.

The best was Ani DIfranco getting destroyed by liberals and going into a major depression because her people turned on her.

I totally don't get this appropriation thing. Blacks don't want whites or whoever to do anything that supposedly originated from their culture. Then, if their culture is ignored, they flip out..........Also, is Beyonce's hair naturally blonde?

It's like how I always see my black Facebook friends and others claim that all civilization came from Africa............Then, Meryl Streep said last month in response to a diversity question "We're all Africans anyway" and #blacktwitter flipped out.

Liberals eating up liberals. I love it.

The best was Ani DIfranco getting destroyed by liberals and going into a major depression because her people turned on her.

Anytime I hear the Cultural Appropriation© nonsense I offer to stop doing the offending action in exchange for the complainant to stop culturally appropriating Alternating Current

Anytime I hear the Cultural Appropriation© nonsense I offer to stop doing the offending action in exchange for the complainant to stop culturally appropriating Alternating Current

As a side note my Googlebot does not use AC or DC. He uses MC.

University Cancels ‘Vagina Monologues’ Because a White Lady Wrote It
Southwestern University in Texas has canceled its annual production of “The Vagina Monologues” because its author, Eve Ensler, is white — and featuring a performance written by a white lady would just not be inclusive to women of other races.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/433413/the-vagina-monologues-eve-ensler-uninclusive-white-lady

Makes sense — being white is pretty bad.

Southwestern University in Texas has canceled its annual production of “The Vagina Monologues” because its author, Eve Ensler, is white — and featuring a performance written by a white lady would just not be inclusive to women of other races.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/433413/the-vagina-monologues-eve-ensler-uninclusive-white-lady

Why are books printed with black ink on white paper? There is no reason they can't use black paper with white ink.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/03/30/university-moves-fire-conservative-professor-political-views/

In the fall of 2014, junior faculty member Cheryl Abbate told a student, who secretly recorded the exchange, that his defense of man-woman marriage was an unacceptable topic in her ethics class and compared his views to racism. She said, “You can have whatever opinions you want but I can tell you right now, in this class homophobic comments, racist comments, and sexist comments will not be tolerated.” And then she told the student he should drop the class.

On this very popular blog, Professor McAdams outed the incident and charged the teaching assistant with “using a tactic typical among liberals now. Opinions with which they disagree are not merely wrong, and are not to be argued against on their merits, but are deemed ‘offensive’ and need to be shut up.”

A firestorm ensued that pitted the academic freedom of McAdams against the leftist pieties of the officially “Catholic” institution.

The teaching assistant is said to have gotten mean emails, though she was hailed as a liberal hero and went on to a tenure track position at another university. McAdams was brought up on charges.

It was announced this week that a “diverse” faculty committee recommended to the university president that McAdams be suspended without pay from April 1 through the fall of 2016 and that he lose his job unless he admits “guilt” and apologized “within the next two weeks.” Specifically, the demand is “Your acknowledgement that your November 9, 2014, blog post was reckless and incompatible with the mission and values of Marquette University and you express deep regret for the harm suffered by our former graduate student and instructor, Ms. Abbate.”

Instead of pushing a gender-race conversation implicit to white women and black men, “We are Women” will celebrate intersectionality.

What? What the !@#$ does that even mean?

Regarding the Marquette situation that TYTT referenced earlier.

George Orwell Call Your Office: Marquette Demands Ritual Apology From Embattled Professor
There’s nothing like a good show trial to build confidence in the academy’s commitment to academic freedom. Marquette University is demanding that embattled professor John McAdams apologize for criticizing a colleague as a condition for keeping his job. And what outrage did McAdams commit? He tried to protect the academic freedom and free speech of conservative students:
On November 2014, McAdams, a tenured associate professor of political science, posted an entry on his Marquette Warrior blog describing a recorded conversation between an undergraduate student and the instructor for his “Theory of Ethics” philosophy course. The instructor, Cheryl Abbate, was recorded telling the student that the expression of certain opinions in class was inappropriate because those opinions may be considered offensive to other listeners. Abbate specifically cited the student’s stated opposition to same-sex marriage as a problem.
Abbate’s actions were criticized by readers of McAdams’ blog entry, and her alleged actions received widespread attention from national media. In response, Richard C. Holz, dean of Marquette’s Klingler College of Arts and Sciences, suspended McAdams

You read that correctly. Rather than discipline the instructor who silenced a conservative student, the university suspended the whistleblower. Now it’s reportedly extending the suspension through the fall 2016 semester and demanding that he apologize as a condition of returning to work. My former colleagues at the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) are right to label the forced apology “an age-old inquisitorial tactic used to violate freedom of conscience through compelled speech.”
McAdams — to his immense credit — is not backing down. Here’s his response:
The addition of a demand that we abase ourself and issue an apology and sign a loyalty oath to vaguely defined “guiding values” and to the University’s “mission” is obviously a ploy by Marquette to give the administration an excuse to fire us. They have calculated, correctly, that we will do no such thing.

I would say that it’s astonishing that a Catholic university punish a professor for defending the right of students to advocate the church’s teaching on marriage, but politically correct nonsense is par for the course even (especially) at many religious colleges.
McAdams should be applauded — and supported — for his lonely, courageous stand.

Edited by B-Man

Regarding the Marquette situation that TYTT referenced earlier.

George Orwell Call Your Office: Marquette Demands Ritual Apology From Embattled Professor

There’s nothing like a good show trial to build confidence in the academy’s commitment to academic freedom. Marquette University is demanding that embattled professor John McAdams apologize for criticizing a colleague as a condition for keeping his job. And what outrage did McAdams commit? He tried to protect the academic freedom and free speech of conservative students:
You read that correctly. Rather than discipline the instructor who silenced a conservative student, the university suspended the whistleblower. Now it’s reportedly extending the suspension through the fall 2016 semester and demanding that he apologize as a condition of returning to work. My former colleagues at the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) are right to label the forced apology “an age-old inquisitorial tactic used to violate freedom of conscience through compelled speech.”
McAdams — to his immense credit — is not backing down. Here’s his response:
I would say that it’s astonishing that a Catholic university punish a professor for defending the right of students to advocate the church’s teaching on marriage, but politically correct nonsense is par for the course even (especially) at many religious colleges.
McAdams should be applauded — and supported — for his lonely, courageous stand.

Are we SURE that the reason for the punishment from the university is for defending the right of the conservative student to express his opinion?

Something just seems kind of fishy... For example, I COULD see the university taking this action if the discipline is for something like 'outing' a colleague on the basis of an illegally recorded conversation. I'll point out that I don't really know what the actual stated *reason* from the university is for the discipline, but that I could understand the action if my 'scenario' was the reason.

I DO know that I don't care enough about this to try and find out :D

First thing I thought too.

She's a media major and he's in a band. Figures that she would be the terrible actress.

I'm trying to figure out if their intention is to mock all of the people with the safe spaces and micro aggressions and whatnot or if it is to mock the people that end up using their fake incident as evidence of how ridiculous things have gotten.

I hope it is the former but I fear it is the ladder.

I'm trying to figure out if their intention is to mock all of the people with the safe spaces and micro aggressions and whatnot or if it is to mock the people that end up using their fake incident as evidence of how ridiculous things have gotten.

I hope it is the former but I fear it is the ladder.

:lol:

All across the country, on every campus...................

#TheChalkening.

Not everyone doing it is a Trump fan, by any means, but all are supporters of free speech — and of tweaking college crybullies.

I recommend that you click on it.

Some funny comments in there :lol:

Glad to see this! Freedom of speech!" #TheChalkening, students awaken!

https://youtu.be/24e_aF9CKVQ " http://disq.us/9fpeo9

I survived #TheChalkening one of the most deadly and widespread terrorist attacks in the history of the United States............. :lol:

Even the squirrels on campus are traumatized. #TheChalkening pic.twitter.com/lzvVDTn6J5

CfCbtemUYAAB6yG.jpg

College Students Mistake Priest for KKK Member, Panic http://bit.ly/1RXZ6ia

My favorite part is mistaking the (standard) rope belt for a "whip"

:lol:

Indiana University’s annual tuition for non-residents, combined with room and board, is $44,764.

Edited by B-Man