The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

As a white guy, am I even allowed to see Black Panther?

I'm honestly not sure at this point.  Is it "woke" to see it?  Is it "woke" not to?  If I see a "black superhero" movie, am I somehow supporting cultural appropriation?  Am I unfairly participating in Afrofuturism?  

Seriously...any interest I had in seeing this movie - which was not inconsiderable - simply isn't worth the hassle of the racial-political minefield I'd have to negotiate to see it.

19 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I'm honestly not sure at this point.  Is it "woke" to see it?  Is it "woke" not to?  If I see a "black superhero" movie, am I somehow supporting cultural appropriation?  Am I unfairly participating in Afrofuturism?  

Seriously...any interest I had in seeing this movie - which was not inconsiderable - simply isn't worth the hassle of the racial-political minefield I'd have to negotiate to see it.

Actually if you really wanted to go all you have to do is buy the ticket, choose your seat, maybe get some pop corn, and watch. 

4 minutes ago, garybusey said:

Actually if you really wanted to go all you have to do is buy the ticket, choose your seat, maybe get some pop corn, and watch. 

But am I supposed to feel guilty about it?  Should I enjoy it?  Will I be oppressing blacks if I see it...or if I don't?  

How can you life with yourself, just buying a ticket and seeing it, without being sensitive to the racial and social implications of it?

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

But am I supposed to feel guilty about it?  Should I enjoy it?  Will I be oppressing blacks if I see it...or if I don't?  

How can you life with yourself, just buying a ticket and seeing it, without being sensitive to the racial and social implications of it?

It was great up until the end... ruined a chance for something really special in the genre and instead fell back on a rote "everyone fight everyone" final set piece. Overall though, worth the angst to check out. 

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It was great up until the end... ruined a chance for something really special in the genre and instead fell back on a rote "everyone fight everyone" final set piece. Overall though, worth the angst to check out. 

If I go see it, I'll be sure to word my opinion/critique so that it offends as many people as possible. Why? Because anyone who gives a %$#$ what I think about a %$#$ing movie really has bigger problems that I could ever trigger with anything I could ever say.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

It made over 200 million over the weekend (the most successful weekend opening ever in February) so lots of white guys saw it.  You'll be fine. 

For those who saw it is their anything unique about it or is it just another version of Wonder Woman (which was excellent) except we have a black lead instead of a female?  We've already had a lead black superheroes with Wesley Snipes (Blade series) and Will Smith (Hancock).  We've already went through the MLK/Malcolm X comparisons in the X-men franchise.  What makes this movie so ground breaking?

25 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It made over 200 million over the weekend (the most successful weekend opening ever in February) so lots of white guys saw it.  You'll be fine. 

For those who saw it is their anything unique about it or is it just another version of Wonder Woman (which was excellent) except we have a black lead instead of a female?  We've already had a lead black superheroes with Wesley Snipes (Blade series) and Will Smith (Hancock).  We've already went through the MLK/Malcolm X comparisons in the X-men franchise.  What makes this movie so ground breaking?

Everything else aside, it's a good flick. One of Marvel's best. Though, as I said earlier, I think they blew a huge opportunity with their third act. I can't say much without spoiling it so I won't, but that complaint is a nit picky one. The overall movie was fun, good performances... but it's still just a Marvel movie.

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Everything else aside, it's a good flick. One of Marvel's best. Though, as I said earlier, I think they blew a huge opportunity with their third act. I can't say much without spoiling it so I won't, but that complaint is a nit picky one. The overall movie was fun, good performances... but it's still just a Marvel movie.

The line about stealing the artifacts by the dude who looks like big Nick cannnon had like a dozen women say **** like "yeah, that's right" or "oh yeah brother.". One proclaimed "sorry white girl"

It looked like a Kwanza celebration. People wearing crownd and and all sorts of African garb. My date was nervous because this was a late showing in high point which is rather... Um... Not do safe.

Regardless. Good movie. ****ty ending. The whole fate of the world depending on 5 ships that got no story line and a weak fight at the end. And rhinos. And some clandestine mountain folks?

Psrts of the movie were incredible. But it was too Lion King meets 300.  It was over macho-ized. Over done with the whole aggressive effect that made it feel cheesy.

It was in line with Thor 2 and captain America 2

Poor Blade.

No one remembers you had a trilogy before Black Panther was even a dream.

Blade even defeated white people in every movie.  People so white they couldn't tolerate sunlight.

Unfortunately, Black Panther is the same superhero as Captain America, with a very similar story.  Secret potion to make the character strong?  Check.  Vibranium for protection? Check.  Military training to home fighting skills?  Check.  Having to defeat the bad guy with an almost identical skill set and weaponry to yours?  Check.

Only difference is Black Panther is a player and got the girl in the end.

5 hours ago, bbb said:

Please be as careful as this woman about when you go to see this:

DV8yMacXUAEfFT0.jpg

“I did not want to be the white person sucking Black joy out of the theater.”

Theres a joke hidden deep in there, I’m certain of it. Just can’t wrap my head around it somehow. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm worried about the oppressive affect on African-Americans if I, a white guy, appropriate an African-American viewing opportunity.

It's not about me.  Why do whites always have to make it about themselves?

10 minutes ago, B-Man said:

As country listens to Florida teens, Black Lives Matter youths feel ignored

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/glanton/ct-met-florida-teens-black-lives-matter-dahleen-glanton-20180223-story.html

over-worked-businessman-sleeping-at-his-

The difference is the !@#$s of the black lives matter group are crying tbeyre the victims whilst the !@#$s in Florida standing up to gun control are crying they're the victims.

Gun control.

9 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

When do we simply stop indulging these morons.

Studies are coming out that generation Z is much more conservative than anticipated in response to backlash towards Gen Y Snowflakes. 

Edited by unbillievable

3 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Studies are coming out that generation Z is much more conservative than anticipated in response to backlash towards Gen Y Snowflakes. 

Which one is which?  Im a 1981 production. I know I'm not a millennial, so I'm guessing I'm genuinely Y?  Gen z is what?

8 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Which one is which?  Im a 1981 production. I know I'm not a millennial, so I'm guessing I'm genuinely Y?  Gen z is what?

you have your own brand

i was a very late boomer but lost several years to illness and woke up in a Gen X world suddenly, it hasn't been the bsest...

49 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

You're a millennial, you !@#$ing millennial!

On a side note, iGeneration seems to be full of incredibly boring people.