The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

My new screen saver...

Cw2bvNhUoAIohGw.jpg

I can understand their feeling like they do, especially at that age. It's likely that this was the first presidential election for each and every one of them, and I remember how committed to the ideal I was at that time of my life. I was crushed when Jimmy Carter lost to Regan, and I believed all the hyperbole that was being foisted around about how we were going to be in a nuclear war with Russia in no time at all. They're young and idealistic, and I do understand their excitement for helping to try to elect the first female president. I honestly feel a little sympathy for them.

But then again, tough t#tties. A little dose of reality will help open their eyes a bit.

I can understand their feeling like they do, especially at that age. It's likely that this was the first presidential election for each and every one of them, and I remember how committed to the ideal I was at that time of my life. I was crushed when Jimmy Carter lost to Regan, and I believed all the hyperbole that was being foisted around about how we were going to be in a nuclear war with Russia in no time at all. They're young and idealistic, and I do understand their excitement for helping to try to elect the first female president. I honestly feel a little sympathy for them.

But then again, tough t#tties. A little dose of reality will help open their eyes a bit.

Milennials need a good B word-slapping.

Trump Administration Could Shake Up Campus Sex Wars.

Donald Trump’s stunning victory on Tuesday night has already sent shockwaves through colleges and universities, islands of cosmopolitan left-wing politics where the President-elect is hated and feared more than in perhaps any other sector of American life. And while i
t’s unlikely that the panicked and overwrought fears of the academic establishment will be vindicated, the Trump Administration—combined with unified Republican control of Congress—looks likely to strike a major blow against the heart of the campus Left’s agenda by rolling back federal support for the academic sex bureaucracy that has expanded dramatically during the Obama years. . . .

The Office for Civil Rights in Education is the agency responsible for controversially expanding federal power over campus sexual assault and harassment investigations, ordering colleges to reduce the burden of proof required for disciplinary action, and leaning on them to expand the definition of proscribed speech and behavior. Fearful of losing federal funding, colleges have ramped up the intensity of their sexual misconduct investigations and hired armies of consultants and Title IX coordinators to help them with the task, often at a real cost to the civil liberties of students and faculty.

And whoever’s handling Department of Education stuff for the transition needs to read Robert Shibley’s Twisting Title IX.

Edited by B-Man

Trump Administration Could Shake Up Campus Sex Wars.

Donald Trumps stunning victory on Tuesday night has already sent shockwaves through colleges and universities, islands of cosmopolitan left-wing politics where the President-elect is hated and feared more than in perhaps any other sector of American life. And while its unlikely that the panicked and overwrought fears of the academic establishment will be vindicated, the Trump Administrationcombined with unified Republican control of Congresslooks likely to strike a major blow against the heart of the campus Lefts agenda by rolling back federal support for the academic sex bureaucracy that has expanded dramatically during the Obama years. . . .

The Office for Civil Rights in Education is the agency responsible for controversially expanding federal power over campus sexual assault and harassment investigations, ordering colleges to reduce the burden of proof required for disciplinary action, and leaning on them to expand the definition of proscribed speech and behavior. Fearful of losing federal funding, colleges have ramped up the intensity of their sexual misconduct investigations and hired armies of consultants and Title IX coordinators to help them with the task, often at a real cost to the civil liberties of students and faculty.

And whoevers handling Department of Education stuff for the transition needs to read Robert Shibleys Twisting Title IX.

Good. The use of Title IX to force universities to take responsibility for criminal matters outside of judicial process was a horrible idea. Unfair to universities, sexual assault victims, and accused equally.

USA TODAY COLUMN: Tolerant” educators exile Trump voters from campus.

In an email to students, the University of Michigan’s President, Mark Schlissel, wrote: “Our responsibility is to remain committed to education, discovery and intellectual honesty — and to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are at our best when we come together to engage respectfully across our ideological differences; to support ALL who feel marginalized, threatened or unwelcome; and to pursue knowledge and understanding.”

But when you treat an election in which the “wrong” candidate wins as a traumatic event on a par with the 9/11 attacks, calling for counseling and safe spaces, you’re implicitly saying that everyone who supported that “wrong” candidate is, well, unsafe. Despite the talk about diversity and inclusion, this is really sending the signal that people who supported Trump — and Trump carried the state of Michigan, so there are probably quite a few on campus — aren’t really included in acceptable campus culture. It’s not promoting diversity, it’s enforcing uniformity. It’s not promoting inclusion, it’s practicing exclusion. And, though it pretends to be about nurturing, it’s actually about being mean to those who don’t fall in the nurtured class. Schlissel says he wants the University of Michigan to be “a welcoming place for all members of society,” but how welcome can students who backed Trump feel in the wake of this performance?

PROFESSOR BAINBRIDGE:

There’s an open letter to the Daily Bruin being circulated among UCLA faculty about how the faculty is united to defend our students of color, LGTBQ, etc…. And how UCLA is a safe space for them.

There is no mention of the increasingly violent riots–yes, riots. There is no mention of numerous trumped up (pun intended) false claims being made. There is no acknowledgement that not everybody at UCLA voted for Hillary. There is no acknowledgement that such a letter might alienate conservative faculty and students, making the former wonder about whether UCLA is a safe place for them to work and the latter whether it is a safe place to go to school.

Do
you think a similar letter would have circulated to reassure our conservative students if Hillary had won? Do you think faculty would be united to offer those students a safe space?

No? Me neither.

“Inclusiveness” only goes in one direction. Like tolerance, they demand it, they don’t offer it.

PROFESSOR BAINBRIDGE:

There’s an open letter to the Daily Bruin being circulated among UCLA faculty about how the faculty is united to defend our students of color, LGTBQ, etc…. And how UCLA is a safe space for them.

There is no mention of the increasingly violent riots–yes, riots. There is no mention of numerous trumped up (pun intended) false claims being made. There is no acknowledgement that not everybody at UCLA voted for Hillary. There is no acknowledgement that such a letter might alienate conservative faculty and students, making the former wonder about whether UCLA is a safe place for them to work and the latter whether it is a safe place to go to school.

Do
you think a similar letter would have circulated to reassure our conservative students if Hillary had won? Do you think faculty would be united to offer those students a safe space?

No? Me neither.

“Inclusiveness” only goes in one direction. Like tolerance, they demand it, they don’t offer it.

You know this brings up a good point. How safe do Trump supporters feel in the wake of all of this? Do they fear that there might be some backlashes? Based on the response from the anti-Trump people if they were afraid they'd have a legitimate reason to be afraid. But guess what. They're not. At least they're not demanding safe spaces to shelter them from the anti-Trump crowd that could possible do them hard. They (ok we) are going about our daily lives.

Liberals are no different than most Americans who believe in the 1st Ammendmemt, free speech, and different view points, unless they disagree with you. Then, they're !@#$s.

Huh. This is a very interesting point of view that has NEVER been brought up before. :D

Come in on boys, the waters just fine... Free speech aint free on TsW. But it is here

Haha. Sure pal.

Last week proved that people don't want to hear that they're racist because they dont like Cam Newton. Last week proved that people don't wamt to be a sexist because they hate Hillary Clinton. Your lack of comprehension of what happened last week is hilarious. Denigrating a group because others don't agree with them, even if that person is in the 1% of that opinion, is hypocrital and a level of bigotry that is just hilarious.

Brett Favre: unorthodox, big-armed, scrambler, serial over-celebrator, visibly ENJOYED playing the game= oh, man he's just fun to watch

Cam Newton: the EXACT same qualities=i hope he gets destroyed and is out of the league in three years.

what is that one definable difference between them? i can't. put. my. finger. on. it...

so,its racist because I think the dude is an annoying bobble head? Because I think he is over celebrated? I've never and will never say hes not talented. But, to be the flaming horrible little coward you are to dare accuse someone of racism is pathetic.

You know this brings up a good point. How safe do Trump supporters feel in the wake of all of this? Do they fear that there might be some backlashes? Based on the response from the anti-Trump people if they were afraid they'd have a legitimate reason to be afraid. But guess what. They're not. At least they're not demanding safe spaces to shelter them from the anti-Trump crowd that could possible do them hard. They (ok we) are going about our daily lives.

Imagune being outed as a trump supporter in a liberal class? Or in Berkeley? The fun part, maybe elsewhere at least, trump supports usually carry