Colin Cowherd just killed Rex Ryan........

Protocal69

There's no room for debate that this comment wasn't meant as discriminatory. He singles out Dominicans as not being smart individuals insinuating that baseball can't be complex if Dominicans can play it. This is not a matter of someone misconstruing a blanket statement to uphold extreme interpretations of proper political correctness. End of discussion.

No, there never is anymore. That seems to be a very popular phrase these days for people who consider themselves 'open minded'.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you notice that all had great QB's. So, are they great coaches or did they just ride their great QB's into the sunset?

I wouldn't call Starr or Bradshaw great QBs. But I take your point. The other side of the argument would be how many potentially great ones never happened because of mediocre coaching.

you can add parcells to the list.

only arse wipe I can think of with multiple rings is Jimmy Johnson.

you're right on both accounts.

He sold a show loosely based on his life. Think Everyone Loves Raymond -- only instead of a newspaper columnist he was a syndicated talk show host. The script(s) were written by actual writers (good ones too), but the idea and concept was all his.

... And it just gets better from there.

http://deadspin.com/5759988/we-have-the-awful-pilot-for-colin-cowherds-awful-tv-show/

What an egotistical ass!! LOL

over Rex wearing the helmet at todays press conference. Bascially said that coaches that try to win the press conference dont win games. He went so far as to wear a helmet on his radio show and did a commerecial while wearing the helmet and spoke about Rex during the commerical as well.

Spoke about how coaches Bill Bellicheck, Greg Popovich,Tom Coughlin dont try to win the press conference. I dont agree with that however.

They may not try to "win the press conference" but in the case of Bill Bellicheck and Greg Popovich them being jerks in the press conference is also like trying to win the press conference in the opposite way.

I just wish Rex would just learn what battles to fight in as opposed to just being outlandish at every turn.

Cowherd is exactly right, if Rex was't the Bills coach the board would be lighting him up …. how about if Rex was still with the Jets and pulled the stunt? He is just so annoying.

Here's an idea Rex, why don't you try to repair the Defense that has cost this team at least 2, probably 3, games?????

I am not following. Surely you didn't read the article, right?

Political correctness is irrelevant in a discussion about blatant racist statements singling out a particular group of people in such a disrespectful way. Political correctness is used as a pejorative to describe language, actions, or policies intended not to offend or disadvantage any particular group of people in society.

Since you didn't read the article I'll quote what Cowherd said. "'Baseballs too complex.' Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic is not been known, in my lifetime, as having, you know, world-class academic abilities."

There's no room for debate that this comment wasn't meant as discriminatory. He singles out Dominicans as not being smart individuals insinuating that baseball can't be complex if Dominicans can play it. This is not a matter of someone misconstruing a blanket statement to uphold extreme interpretations of proper political correctness. End of discussion.

So you're saying the Dominican Republic is known for having world class academic abilities?

Rex Ryan is a good coach and understands he is in the entertainment business.

When he came out a few years ago with a wig and looked like his brother, I loved it. So funny

Lighten up people. We all played this GAME as kids. Its a distraction from life and should be fun

i do not think he takes the media very seriously that is there to cover the press conferences. I don't think many people take them seriously. NFL mandated media sessions are typically blander than broth. You can tell which media members he takes seriously and which he doesn't. He's obligated to do the press conferences with the Rodaks and Sullivans of the world but instead of acting like a d*ick and not answering any questions like Marrone and others (who also clearly don't take the media seriously, but parlay that into a terrible relationship with them) he brings a little fun to the table. He showed what he thinks of them by telling them twice now that he knows exactly what their articles will say before they write them. Edited by YoloinOhio

over Rex wearing the helmet at todays press conference. Bascially said that coaches that try to win the press conference dont win games. He went so far as to wear a helmet on his radio show and did a commerecial while wearing the helmet and spoke about Rex during the commerical as well.

Spoke about how coaches Bill Bellicheck, Greg Popovich,Tom Coughlin dont try to win the press conference. I dont agree with that however.

They may not try to "win the press conference" but in the case of Bill Bellicheck and Greg Popovich them being jerks in the press conference is also like trying to win the press conference in the opposite way.

I just wish Rex would just learn what battles to fight in as opposed to just being outlandish at every turn.

I don't listen to Cowherd.

I think the underlying point, though, is what does it take to win in the NFL? "All it Takes is All you Got". If your team is winning, everyone asks how you do it. If your team isn't winning, everyone gets to 2nd guess you and one of the fair questions is, does planning little entertainments during the press conference and doing TV shows and so forth take away from giving "All you Got" to coaching and game planning?

I suspect that Rex is a naturally charming and engaging guy and that stuff like wearing a helmet during a presser is not a significant "take away" - an idea crosses his mind while he's taking a dump and he texts an assistant "I wanna wear a helmet during Weds presser, measure my hat and get me a helmet" "you got it, Boss". Then Rex wipes, flushes, and goes back to drawing up plays. TV shows and the like may be a more significant distraction.

The real question for Rex is whether "all he's got" with regard to game planning and coaching on D, is enough. So far the answer seems to be "enough to beat 'meh' teams, not enough to beat the class of the NFL, and if we have too many injuries, not enough to beat the Jags either.

Edited by Hopeful

Press conference has nothing to do with football. If that was true Rex would be winless in his HC career and never have made it to the AFC championship twice.

I wish you would learn something so simple as that.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Second coming of the fabulous Sports Babe!

Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick, why'd you have to bring up that hag? I thought I had completely erased her from my memory banks. Some of the worst sports radio ever broadcast.

One thing for sure...the Bills are relevant. Remember how we used to complain that the Bills were invisible in the NFL? With Rex we are in the news almost daily. Around the Horn, PTI, HQ, NFL Live, First Take, Mike & Mike...They talk Rex and the Bills all the time. Sometimes it's bad stuff, but we are getting our face time.

One thing for sure...the Bills are relevant. Remember how we used to complain that the Bills were invisible in the NFL? With Rex we are in the news almost daily. Around the Horn, PTI, HQ, NFL Live, First Take, Mike & Mike...They talk Rex and the Bills all the time. Sometimes it's bad stuff, but we are getting our face time.

Media relevant, no doubt. However, talking of them like they're playoff relevant or competitive with the better teams of the NFL is premature. They've played 3 teams with a winning record so far and have gone 0-3. They lost to a Jacksonville team that had just 1 win before playing them in London. In terms of this thread and Cowherd, I'm not sure I could actually care less what he thinks. Rex wore a Clemson helmet during a presser. 1 - He did it to support his son. He's required to do these press events and let the media stage be his stage to support his son. 2 - It took NOTHING away from his preparation of this team for the game on Thursday. Does anyone believe for a moment that Rex spent any amount of time thinking about doing this? 3 - Rex isn't blathering on about how he's going to beat the Jets or talking smack like he did coming into the New England game. Personally, this is a positive for me. Keep the focus of the game in practice and out of the media.

I'm not so sure I like all of the attention when most of it includes the word "clown" at some point.

I am not following. Surely you didn't read the article, right?

Political correctness is irrelevant in a discussion about blatant racist statements singling out a particular group of people in such a disrespectful way. Political correctness is used as a pejorative to describe language, actions, or policies intended not to offend or disadvantage any particular group of people in society.

Since you didn't read the article I'll quote what Cowherd said. "'Baseballs too complex.' Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic is not been known, in my lifetime, as having, you know, world-class academic abilities."

Two things.

One, when did Dominican Republic become a race? It's a country. Yes, he slammed the country but didnt mention race as a reason for the poor academic standards.

Two, he did mention a reason for those poor standards: income. I notice you conviently left out the second part of his quote which reflects this.

So while I agree that if I was Dominican I probably would be upset about this as hes insulting my country, I wonder where race factors into the discussion? Based on that one quote I dont see it.

I feel dirty having just defended Cowherd.

Style versus substance

Rex's style of communicating to the media doesn't nullify his substance as a coach.

I worry about Rex's coaching for other reasons - particularly the performance of our D so far.

But I don't care if he's trying to 'win press conferences.' It doesn't matter.

Two things.

One, when did Dominican Republic become a race? It's a country. Yes, he slammed the country but didnt mention race as a reason for the poor academic standards.

Two, he did mention a reason for those poor standards: income. I notice you conviently left out the second part of his quote which reflects this.

So while I agree that if I was Dominican I probably would be upset about this as hes insulting my country, I wonder where race factors into the discussion? Based on that one quote I dont see it.

I feel dirty having just defended Cowherd.

I am sorry but this makes absolutely no sense. This argument is flawed and conceptually bankrupt. The quote clearly shows that he was referring to the baseball players that come from the Dominican Republic and then stated that the Dominican Republic is not known for academic abilities. Inanimate objects cannot have academic abilities, so the only logical inference is that he is referring to the Dominican people. Whatever is referenced after as to the reason why he believes this is the case, is irrelevant. It's a racist quote.

The next step of the counter argument is how can referring to a culture/country be specifically construed as referencing race? It's discrimination not racism some would argue. This is another conceptually bankrupt argument as racism in terms of discrimination needs to be viewed in the social context as racial identities can vary greatly from one culture to another, and there is no biological genes or cluster of genes common to all whites or all blacks.

I am sorry but this makes absolutely no sense. This argument is flawed and conceptually bankrupt. The quote clearly shows that he was referring to the baseball players that come from the Dominican Republic and then stated that the Dominican Republic is not known for academic abilities. Inanimate objects cannot have academic abilities, so the only logical inference is that he is referring to the Dominican people. Whatever is referenced after as to the reason why he believes this is the case, is irrelevant. It's a racist quote.

The next step of the counter argument is how can referring to a culture/country be specifically construed as referencing race? It's discrimination not racism some would argue. This is another conceptually bankrupt argument as racism in terms of discrimination needs to be viewed in the social context as racial identities can vary greatly from one culture to another, and there is no biological genes or cluster of genes common to all whites or all blacks.

It makes perfect sense. You just don't want it to so you're dismissive.

If someone said that the people of France weren't that intelligent because their academic standards were low due to the country being impoverished nobody would infer that it had anything to do with race. It would be an insult to the country's academic institutions and it's people. People in Germany wouldn't be insulted by it.

Why then, when someone says something about the Dominican Republic does it suddenly become about race? Because you're making it become about it. Now, if Cowherd has said other things about Latino countries then one might be able to surmise that, in total, his comments are slanted that way. Since I don't listen to him, I don't know. But with this one quote, you're really reaching.

You are filling in what you want to hear, not what was actually said.

You know, upon reflection, I think we're/I'm being trolled. Your post is so ridiculous, it has to be from an alter-ego, alla Spags.

I should have just put :lol: and moved on.

Give yourself a slow clap for being the more racially sensitive than the average bear. Used to be a hypersensitive man was considered a kitty, but now it's commendable. You're quite a guy.

You really don't think that Cowherd was saying Dominicans are stupid?

Your flaw was assuming thought was involved.

Press conference has nothing to do with football. If that was true Rex would be winless in his HC career and never have made it to the AFC championship twice.

I wish you would learn something so simple as that.

So tried of hearing about those 2 trips to the AFC championship game with the JETS. What has he done since. I'll tell ya 8-8, 6-10, 8-8, 4-12 Thats what. Until he takes us where we need to be I don't need to hear about what happened in 2011-2012 with another team.

I would like to see Vinaccia' s comprehensive list of Dominican contributions to the world. Take all of the time you need. Then let us know what took up the rest of the minute. Ha ha, just kidding.

Not really. If it brings someone who would post drivel like that closer to their eventual aneurysm, I'll pretend to be serious. Your professors must be soooo proud to produce another fascist race-victim.

Never listened to this Cowherd guy. His opinion doesn't matter because his opinion doesn't matter. Frankly, I'd rather listen to the sounds emanating from a men's room than sports talk, but I understand that some of you do and enjoy complaining about it. To each his own.

I don't find Rex's antics bothersome in the least. It keeps the dogs off of his players and is entertaining- provided that one doesn't take everything too seriously. If he becomes a distraction by writing checks that his players have to cash, he could be a problem. I they lose more than they win, the punchlines lose their humor.

I am not going defend any argument.

But one of my favorite persons resides and practices here in Rochester. Without going into detail, she has been transforming a community into a healthier mindset of caring and giving back. and not just here but abroad. Herb I really dont know what your point is in regard to asking the naming of Dominicans as known contributors. You of course can guess the population ratio of the little island once dominated by the French regime. as compared to even Cuba.

The rest of your post is pretty reasonable. i like your perspective own the sportstalk radio and Rex.

Rex is a character, he is our character i thinks it best we just accept it for a while yet.

People are too sensitive these days, and many times people's sensitve anger is misplaced. However, there's no way to spin this as not being an insult to a group of people. I'll give an example. If I were to say "posting on this forum is easy, and requires no knowledge. No one with an education would every post here" I'd be saying that with the intent to insult everyone on this board. Cowturd wanted to insult Dominicans. He's right, the education system in the Dominican Republic is terrible. However, he states that baseball must be simple if Dominicans can play it. He is directly making the statement that education=intelligence. Something that is often falsely believed to always be true these days. Im not one of those sensitive politically correct people. I guess it just amazes me anyone would defend Cowturd on a Bills forum. He thinks the same of us Bills fans as he does Domincans. He has constantly stated that small market teams need to relocate, and that only ignorant and lazy people live in the smaller markets.