What do you think about Robert Woods?

dayman

I just don't see him much and the one end-around he got last week looked terrible (he looked slow--no explosion and couldn't have looked less dangerous).

I don't have the coaching tape...and I have seen a FEW replays of him open (he usually throws a tantrum when he doesn't get the ball).

I really don't know what to think about Woods' value as a player. It's hard to say. I'm sure if he were with an all-time great QB he would be better...I'm also sure that most WRs are not and that isn't the way you should measure them.

Gentlemen, help me understand how I am supposed to feel about Robert Woods. I really don't know...but I would have a soft-lean right now to take another WR fairly high in the draft.

I just don't see him much and the one end-around he got last week looked terrible (he looked slow--no explosion and couldn't have looked less dangerous).

I don't have the coaching tape...and I have seen a FEW replays of him open (he usually throws a tantrum when he doesn't get the ball).

I really don't know what to think about Woods' value as a player. It's hard to say. I'm sure if he were with an all-time great QB he would be better...I'm also sure that most WRs are not and that isn't the way you should measure them.

Gentlemen, help me understand how I am supposed to feel about Robert Woods. I really don't know...but I would have a soft-lean right now to take another WR fairly high in the draft.

He's a #2 guy. I'd take another WR fairly high.

He's a #2 guy. I'd take another WR fairly high.

But what does that even mean? Is he really even a #2 guy? He seems to be like...a half-notch above Easley (which makes him depth and someone who should learn special teams).

Is he supposed to be in the slot and now he's just failing outside? I mean...I guess I don't really know what a #2 guy is but he seems like a guy who is a non-factor and that doesn't sound like a #2 to me.

Here you go.... Think of him as a good blocker :) He's straight up blown a couple people up out there.

But what does that even mean? Is he really even a #2 guy? He seems to be like...a half-notch above Easley (which makes him depth and someone who should learn special teams).

Is he supposed to be in the slot and now he's just failing outside? I mean...I guess I don't really know what a #2 guy is but he seems like a guy who is a non-factor and that doesn't sound like a #2 to me.

Well we threw the ball 12 times last game, so the #2 WR not getting involved too much isn't that rare considering the circumstances.

He's not a "half-notch" above Easley. That's just crazy talk. He's a guy who can hurt you if you don't respect him/worry too much about our #1 WR. I'd still take another WR high because injuries happen, and 3 WR's is basically the base offensive formation.

I love Bob Woods.

Like really love him.

That's me too though, I used to love Bob Woods. Really love him. Then the idea of him being some reliable and awesome young counterpart to Sammy faded and now I ... well I don't know what to think anymore. I was just sitting here thinking about the passing game and had the feeling like I won't be excited about the WRs next year unless it has a new #2 that is not on the roster right now.

Edited by Rex'sOffense

That's me too though, I used to love Bob Woods. Really love him. Then the idea of him being some reliable and awesome young counterpart to Sammy faded and now I ... well I don't know what to think anymore. I was just sitting here thinking about the passing game and had the feeling like I won't be excited about the WRs next year unless it has a new #2 that is not on the roster right now.

Roman needs one great WR and a great TE. Like Boldin and Vernon Davis. Then an awesome RB. Like Gore.

A #2 WR is gonna have inconsistent numbers in this system.

Did you draft him in fantasy and are now disappointed?

Edited by LeGOATski

It's really hard to judge him but what the Bills really need is a guy who is always open by virtue of his size and catch radius....like Brandon Marshall.

If they got healthy and had Marshall they could give up 400 yards on defense every week and still win handily.

Had they not traded for Cassel they probably get Marshall.

I thought the Bills made some hasty, poor decisions early in the offseason but they deserve credit for identifying and trying to acquire some guys who it appears WOULD have helped them....guys like Marshall, David Harris, La'el Collins.

he had 9 catches and a TD just 2 games ago and that was with EJ throwing to him. He's been reliable and productive in his role despite the QB carousel since his rookie year. Are you just upset about the end around? It didn't go anywhere because Felton missed his block and he couldn't ... Go anywhere.

he had 9 catches and a TD just 2 games ago and that was with EJ throwing to him. He's been reliable and productive in his role despite the QB carousel since his rookie year. Are you just upset about the end around? It didn't go anywhere because Felton missed his block and he couldn't ... Go anywhere.

Percy and Sammy have been hurt pretty consistently so he's had every opportunity and he's had 2 ok games...(1) 60 yrds and a TD while the Pats were curb stomping us, and (2) a solid 84 yrds on 9 catches and a TD in the freak show that was EJ coming back against the Jags in London.

It's not reality to suggest Bob has been anything that numbers can defend. He's halfway through his 3rd season and yet he's never been a catches guy, or a yards guy, or a touchdown guy. Someone said he's a blocking guy? Ok...IDK maybe I've seen him throw some good blocks.

I guess his defense is that he's played with EJ and now is in Roman's system which isn't WR2 friendly (point guy made above)? I mean...he just isn't showing me anything this year.

I have to turn on Woods at some point and it's shaping up to be next offseason the way things are going. I would like to be swayed but his one big day on a crazy London game v. the jags while EJ was out their flailing in desperation to overcome bouts of insanity isn't going to do it on its own.

Edited by Rex'sOffense

Robert Woods is a honeybadger, in on kick off and return, throwing crackback blocks inside on much bigger guys on offense. His blocking is above average against dbs. All that and he can produce at whatever level the offense needs him to. Every time he's been featured, he's produced.

Edited by NorCalBillsSabres

Percy and Sammy have been hurt pretty consistently so he's had every opportunity and he's had 2 ok games...(1) 60 yrds and a TD while the Pats were curb stomping us, and (2) a solid 84 yrds on 9 catches and a TD in the freak show that was EJ coming back against the Jags in London.

It's not reality to suggest Bob has been anything that numbers can defend. He's halfway through his 3rd season and yet he's never been a catches guy, or a yards guy, or a touchdown guy. Someone said he's a blocking guy? Ok...IDK maybe I've seen him throw some good blocks.

I guess his defense is that he's played with EJ and now is in Roman's system which isn't WR2 friendly (point guy made above)? I mean...he just isn't showing me anything this year.

I have to turn on Woods at some point and it's shaping up to be next offseason the way things are going. I would like to be swayed but his one big day on a crazy London game v. the jags while EJ was out their flailing in desperation to overcome bouts of insanity isn't going to do it on its own.

Are you watching the tape or the stat sheet?

Great post. "Flailing" LMAO

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Robert Woods could have burned his man every play last week, and you wouldn't know it.

And what I'm saying is, that could be true...but it is more likely that if Robert Woods was consistently wide open all day and nobody ever threw him the ball I would know about it. I don't have the coaches tape and I don't study Woods...but I consume a lot of Bills media. Nobody even talks about him, he is rarely even a topic for discussion.

And what I'm saying is, that could be true...but it is more likely that if Robert Woods was consistently wide open all day and nobody ever threw him the ball I would know about it. I don't have the coaches tape and I don't study Woods...but I consume a lot of Bills media. Nobody even talks about him, he is rarely even a topic for discussion.

How? We threw the ball 12 times, and most of them went to our best WR.

Edited by FireChan

How?

Like I said through osmosis. Bills radio, articles, this place, some random PFF statistic that I hear....I'm not saying I would necessarily know what happened last week but if it were a consistent thing with him it is likely that, with the amount of NFL/Bills stuff I get, I would have heard some good stuff about Woods. I never hear anything at all about Robert Woods.

If you look at the guy last year he was very much a part of the offense, i don't think this scheme fits him as well .

He is a great team guy, good hands, dependable,good blocker, & durable for the most part . I think he is a good number 2 WR just wish they would target him more .

I think if given the chance to hit the FA market though he will be gone because he want s to be more involved in the offense & may find that some where else .

what changed for you? He has been playing the same way he always has. We are just throwing the ball less. Can't blame the receiver when he's open and the ball goes elsewhere.

He's fine. A good player, but nothing special. Not particularly big or fast, an okay but not great athlete for the position, hands are fine, and allegedly he's a good route runner. (I can't pretend to know anywhere near enough about route running to evaluate anyone on that front.) Good blocker in the run game, which is nice to have, but not typically how WRs make their money. Also a bit of a hothead, which I'm not a big fan of. I think you could do a lot better as a #2 WR, but you could also do worse, and he's competent enough for a starter who's not one of the focal points of the offense.. Unless he's willing to sign dirt cheap (which would surprise me), I'd be fine with letting him walk after next year. But I wouldn't want the Bills to do anything stupid like cut or bench him.

He's not a burner, not is he terribly big. But he's a tough guy with good hands who has enough athletic ability to get open and make plays. He's also a good blocker and he fights for extra yards. You're not likely to see him in the pro-bowl, but he's a solid NFL WR who makes the team better.

One of the more outlandish statements I've ever seen on this website was last week when, in a thread also devoted to Woods, a prominent poster said that he would rank his order of re-signing priorities: 1. Gilmore, 2. Woods, 3. Bradham and 4. Glenn. How about 1. Gilmore, 1a. Glenn... hold on I gotta run to the grocery store, I'll be back in an hour so... oh yeah, Bradham/Woods.

I like Robert and have since his 1st game. He catches nearly everything thrown at him -though, admittedly, that's not much. I agree he isn't being utilized nearly enough in Roman's offense, but that may change Thursday night, as Revis will likely shadow Sammy all game. I think he'd be best used as a short route runner ala Welker in NE/Amendola. I also think that's a pattern Roman should consider, given Tyrod -and EJ to a lesser extent, are more comfortable throwing underneath.

His temper has been an issue..

A lot of our biggest plays on Sunday were outside runs behind Woods.

He made the ~50yd Shady TD possible. Also threw a great block on a Tryod scramble against the Titans that lead to a TD. He's a great receiver to have in a run-first offense because of his block ability.