Former players convinced me that Rex's D will start clicking

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to Jason Taylor on Sirius NFL Radio today and a Bills fan called in and asked about Rex and his D.

Taylor said that of all the coaches he ever had, it took him the longest period of time, most work, and most study to figure out what he was supposed to do in Rex's D. It was an enormous adjustment and it is extremely complicated. Eventually he got it but it took some time.

This meshes with things other guys have said about Rex's defense: it's complicated, relies on a ton of new terms and communication, as well as a bunch of unique concepts. At first it's very difficult to grasp. But eventually once the players get it things start clicking.

I think this is what we are seeing with this D. Rex did not forget how to coach defense. The DL did not forget how to pass rush. It's just going to take some time for this thing to start humming.

BTW, that vaunted Schwartz defense got shredded by Brady and couldn't stop the Raiders when it mattered too. Let's not pretend that last year's defense was some sort of iron curtain.

I still believe in Rex and I EXPECT to see the defense improve tremendously over the 2nd half of the season.

I believe they are delusional and that there is a mismatch between the personnel and the scheme. the 4 guys up front are great at penetrating and creating havoc, 3 are pro bowlers. Having them read and adjust and drop into coverage and line up on wr's while teams are running no huddle on you is asinine unless you are so talent deficient you have to hocus pocus your way to a win...

It looks a lot to me like Baltimore continued to be a dominant d when Rex left after 2008

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXcoachesXXHarbJo0.htm&t=1

and the jets best year defensively, his first year there (which contradicts the thoery it its just hard to learn) was followed by a steady decent to the bottom third in the nfl...

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXcoachesXXRyanRe0.htm&t=1

Maybe we all got duped into this defensive genius mantra, because as always, bills fans have that eternal optimism...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

well they didn't want us to get culture shock, so it's a gradual thing

already happening. first year that everything really did look Roses. so much talent and much more, new day dawning and Playoffs if not SB!

lay the Patriots and all hope is deflated. or worse, a vacuum is created and ever since, fandom has gone all haywire again.

We cant barely handle hope, much less Playoffs.

: )

I believe they are delusional and that there is a mismatch between the personnel and the scheme. the 4 guys up front are great at penetrating and creating havoc, 3 are pro bowlers. Having them read and adjust and drop into coverage and line up on wr's while teams are running no huddle on you is asinine unless you are so talent deficient you have to hocus pocus your way to a win...

It looks a lot to me like Baltimore continued to be a dominant d when Rex left after 2008

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXcoachesXXHarbJo0.htm&t=1

and the jets best year defensively, his first year there (which contradicts the thoery it its just hard to learn) was followed by a steady decent to the bottom third in the nfl...

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXcoachesXXRyanRe0.htm&t=1

Maybe we all got duped into this defensive genius mantra, because as always, bills fans have that eternal optimism...

My admission was free. just here to see how it turns out. great storyline so far honestly, lotsa drama and intrigue. a veritable " The Waltons"

Edited by 3rdand12

When you have a young, average or even good player you can ask him to do anything.

When you have 1/4 billion on the front 4 as a unit...they know what they were paid to do. They were paid to do the specific things they have done while building their career to this point of awesomeness. When you ask them to do bunch of other random **** they have never done at this point in their career/status...it may not work.

Rex's scheme will click...but we really weren't built for it. Rex needs a bunch of average/good flexible guys who will run through a wall for him and he'll turn them into probowlers. Not sure Rex knows what to do with our guys.

I'm not buying it. The OL still can't block. We pay huge money for the DL to hold off OL so mediocre LBs can make plays... or not. We take way to many penalties some of which are just stupid like the taunting calls and other unsportsmanlike calls. It's not just learning a new scheme. Discipline is lacking, attitude is poor, professionalism is absent.

It looks a lot to me like Baltimore continued to be a dominant d when Rex left after 2008 http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXcoachesXXHarbJo0.htm&t=1

and the jets best year defensively, his first year there (which contradicts the thoery it its just hard to learn) was followed by a steady decent to the bottom third in the nfl... http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXcoachesXXRyanRe0.htm&t=1

It isn't scheme b.c the Bills have run every different scheme in the past years, never a consistent 3-4, 4-3... Always something different. Just going to take some time, thing is the Bills don't have time.

The thing that baffles me is that we're getting stellar play from gilmore and darby, which I understood in preseason to be the only possible reason this defense would not be tops in the league.

Instead our challenges have become our penalties, front seven, special teams (except punting), and an exceptionally injury prone offense at the skill positions.

The thing that baffles me is that we're getting stellar play from gilmore and darby, which I understood in preseason to be the only possible reason this defense would not be tops in the league.

Instead our challenges have become our penalties, front seven, special teams (except punting), and an exceptionally injury prone offense at the skill positions.

None of us have any choice but to hope time will cause this to work. Rex isn't going anywhere and neither is the bulk of our front 7.

Offense has been a dumpster fire we need to sign some more durable guys that can be expected to ball consistently. I actually like Sammy, Goodwin, and Percy all individually...but as 3 of the top 4 WRs on a team it looks like it can't work that way right now.

It isn't scheme b.c the Bills have run every different scheme in the past years, never a consistent 3-4, 4-3... Always something different. Just going to take some time, thing is the Bills don't have time.

If defenses were all as simple as how many dudes play LB and how many put their hand in the dirt, they'd make a magic 8 ball the d coordinator.

The high level premise I've come to understand, is Rex's defense has a read and react component with numerous dependencies, while the schwarz d simply lines guys up to create and attack gaps... add in all the disguise of who is rushing vs dropping.. Dareus is warren sapp but he's playing the role of bj raji...

The scheme is marginalizing a front 4 and secondary that did last year to Aaron Rodgers what Denver just did.

So let's stop pretending this defense, who did in fact shut down two canton bound qbs last year, now couldn't sack Andy Dalton, got torched on a game wining drive by Blake Bortles,hasn't changed for the worse in just about every way with the same cast. Let's also allow deductive reasoning to help us understand, since the core cast is identical the obvious difference causing the deterioration must be COACHING and/or SCHEME

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

This is pretty much how I feel about it as well

My only fear is that it took too long for this year and we end up coming like 1 game short

We're all wearing doom under our hat regarding the Jag game. It will be the one game we all back at if we miss the Playoffs by one AFC loss. We just can't give a game like that away. But, we did..

It takes time for players to learn Rex D? What a joke. How much time is it going to take?

Schwartz came here and in one season had this defense playing outstanding. If Rex is a defensive "guru", he should be able to do the same with all the talent on this roster.

That's fine. But it is widely believed that Rex is a brilliant defensive coach and that the Bills have tremendous talent on defense. So, why can't Rex simplify the scheme to take advantage of our great players on a weekly basis and build upon that simplified scheme over time?

Puking everything at the players and blaming them for not grasping the concepts seems ill advised and misguided.

:thumbsup: Same thing happened with Ryan in NY, and cried about not having the players needed to run his defense. So, in order to Run Ryan's scheme the Bills will need to dump all four all pro D linemen, and draft or bring in top free agent LBers to run his scheme. :doh:

Many threads open about the defense. Below taken from a different thread.

For the life of me I can't figure out why you continue to want to defend a defense that isn't even coming close to utilizing its players like it should.

This year the Bills are 29th in sacks, and 27 in sack percentage when this team basically lead the league the last two years. Its been like this in just about every game this year, and a big reason as to why the stats for sacks, hits, pressures for the Bills defense is so bad this year. Conversely, Denver leads the NFL in sacks, hits pressures and a big why their defense is currently ranked #1.

"As far as Dareus is concerned, simpler is better. He has felt that since training camp, when he complained publicly about not seeing eye-to-eye with how he was being coached."

"Ryan employs a base 3-4 defense. Hughes and Mario Williams, who led the Bills with 14.5 sacks last season, are not positioned anywhere near as wide as they were by Schwartz. There isn’t as much of an attack-up-the-field philosophy with the linemen. It’s more about doing things that allow linebackers to be a greater part of the play-making than before."

"In another significant change, Kyle Williams often finds himself lining up outside, in a standing position, rather than inside and in a three-point stance as he was last year. He also will move laterally, in an effort to draw blockers from other defenders."

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/07/bills-d-line-experiencing-disconnect-with-scheme/

I mean WTF! What complete horsecrap this coaching staff is doing with the Bills front four this year. This is why these men are complaining publicly about what they are being asked to do this year.

Click the link, and read the article please!

Edited by Nihilarian

It takes time for players to learn Rex D? What a joke. How much time is it going to take?

Schwartz came here and in one season had this defense playing outstanding. If Rex is a defensive "guru", he should be able to do the same with all the talent on this roster.

2 quotes from this article definitely back up the notion the players are still learning Rex's D.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mixed-messages-ryan-bills-players-seem-odds-defense-220005992--nfl.html

Preston Brown said he was pleased to learn the defensive scheme had been simplified during the team's bye week off.

''I think this week we're just going to take a whole bunch (of plays) out and just play fast. That's what we want to do,'' Brown said. ''We don't have to be as complicated as we've been in the past.''

''We've got to figure out things we can do better,'' safety Corey Graham said. ''And we talked about it and we've figured it out. Now we've just got to go out there and do what we're supposed to on the field.''

This is the 8th game and we're still hearing the same things from week 2 and 3. It's a lot more complicated than JS's D, plain and simple. I am not saying I agree with implementing a complicated D when there is this much talent on D, just that I do agree with the OP....

The Jets are un-learning Ryan's D pretty fast.

This is the thing that concerns me. The Jets had defenses ranked in button third of the league his last two seasons there and now the are top ten. I know they added a couple of players but that's pretty big jump. Meanwhile, Rex comes to Buffalo and their previously top 10 defense is now bottom half.

What's going on?

This is the thing that concerns me. The Jets had defenses ranked in button third of the league his last two seasons there and now the are top ten. I know they added a couple of players but that's pretty big jump. Meanwhile, Rex comes to Buffalo and their previously top 10 defense is now bottom half.

What's going on?

Why Fix something that was not broken?

What's going on?

the Jets were ranked 6th in total D in 2014 and 11th in 2013 per NFL.com Edited by YoloinOhio

What's going on?

Well always been said you can't know how good the defense or offense really was till all the games are played. By the end of the season the Jets defense will drop and the Bills will be at the top. Already started to happen last week against the Raiders.

the Jets were ranked 6th in total D in 2014 and 11th in 2013 per NFL.com

Interesting. I was looking at points per game, which has them at #24 in 2014 and #19 in 2013. Not sure which measuring stick is more accurate, although it's bizarre that you could be # 6 in yards per game but #24 in points per game in the same season.

Interesting. I was looking at points per game, which has them at #24 in 2014 and #19 in 2013. Not sure which measuring stick is more accurate, although it's bizarre that you could be # 6 in yards per game but #24 in points per game in the same season.

Generally, yards/play is the best all-around measuring stick IMO

None of us have any choice but to hope time will cause this to work. Rex isn't going anywhere and neither is the bulk of our front 7.

Offense has been a dumpster fire we need to sign some more durable guys that can be expected to ball consistently. I actually like Sammy, Goodwin, and Percy all individually...but as 3 of the top 4 WRs on a team it looks like it can't work that way right now.

dumpster fire? I dont think it is that at all. Work in progress? Very early into the program and struggling? yes for sure.

I'm not buying it. The OL still can't block. We pay huge money for the DL to hold off OL so mediocre LBs can make plays... or not. We take way to many penalties some of which are just stupid like the taunting calls and other unsportsmanlike calls. It's not just learning a new scheme. Discipline is lacking, attitude is poor, professionalism is absent.

The LBs are missing plays. The scheme is often dependent on them winning the one on ones and making that solo tackle.

look at the big runs. all of them

Edited by 3rdand12

you mean the taking plays off and laziness Bowles called out last week in the defensive loss?

Bro - it will never make sense to have done a complete rebuild of the scheme for a unit that finished 4th overall last year.

so maybe it was not resigning Spikes?

lol.

But I agree. Jim had the D running pretty well last year. If Rex and Thurman have some grand scheme , perhaps it should have been slowly integrated instead of turning the players on their heads. Devils advocate, maybe Ryan thought his guys were smart enough to grasp it quickly, get natural and start running.

Lets hope they all meet in the middle get on the same page, and then , open the book up.

same with offense really.

i don't know how it works either. For comparison the Bills were 4th in 2014 and 11th in 2013.

There's absolutely no question that some of the defenders are still adjusting to the scheme. They're a step slow reacting to what's going on out there.

I think that they'll pick it up; I'm just not sure it'll happen soon enough to save this season.

I think you could be right but I think it's possibly more than adjusting. I think they're struggling to believe in the defense. I also think it's a bit extreme to think it's so complicated that this veteran group of defensive lineman are so lost it's translating to getting ran on and a paltry pass rush.

Edited by Triple Threat

That's fine. But it is widely believed that Rex is a brilliant defensive coach and that the Bills have tremendous talent on defense. So, why can't Rex simplify the scheme to take advantage of our great players on a weekly basis and build upon that simplified scheme over time?

Puking everything at the players and blaming them for not grasping the concepts seems ill advised and misguided.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rex's "I know where this is going to end up" line was in evidence again on Wednesday. That is nice for him isn't it? Could it hurry up and end up there now please? Because after Sunday half the season is done. Lose to the Dolphins and you can fork us and if you can fork us because our defense has gotten worse..... then as far as I am concerned you fire Rex Ryan.

Let me put it this way - Say we had hired an offensive minded HC... for arguments sake my guy Hue Jackson. And then let's say he moved Schwartz on (which I don't think was his plan but stay with me) and brought his own defensive coordinator in to call the defense. And then let's say we were 3-4 with a defense showing a major drop off from last year.......... we would be saying "he needs to change his coordinator" wouldn't we? Well Rex is calling the defense, Rex IS the coordinator... if this team ends up with an offense that is somewhere around the middle of the league and yet misses the play-offs because our defense takes a step back his neck should be on the block.

Rex's "I know where this is going to end up" line was in evidence again on Wednesday. That is nice for him isn't it? Could it hurry up and end up there now please? Because after Sunday half the season is done. Lose to the Dolphins and you can fork us and if you can fork us because our defense has gotten worse..... then as far as I am concerned you fire Rex Ryan.

Let me put it this way - Say we had hired an offensive minded HC... for arguments sake my guy Hue Jackson. And then let's say he moved Schwartz on (which I don't think was his plan but stay with me) and brought his own defensive coordinator in to call the defense. And then let's say we were 3-4 with a defense showing a major drop off from last year.......... we would be saying "he needs to change his coordinator" wouldn't we? Well Rex is calling the defense, Rex IS the coordinator... if this team ends up with an offense that is somewhere around the middle of the league and yet misses the play-offs because our defense takes a step back his neck should be on the block.

Easy for you to say - you wouldn't have to "fork" over 20 million to fire someone.

Rex and Roman were excellent hires - but obviously things aren't working out perfectly and everyone knows that. But this firing after one year stuff is so immature. It's been 7 games dude - you gotta figure out a way to relax.

The Buffalo Bills did just that with Saint Doug, and the offense was downright bad 2013-2014 finishing in the bottom third both years. A supposed O line guru and the line stunk. Bad choice for an OC with 2 rookie QB's along with a guy who started exactly on NFL game. Hackett made both CJ Spiller, and the fans throw up. Funny thing is St Doug walked away or otherwise we would get another year of an inept offense. So I kinda doubt ownership can actually see the problems with Rex Ryan, and a lot are on defense, special teams, penalties.

My thoughts on the difference between Wade Phillips 3-4 heavy blitz attack with their outside LBers Ware, Von Miller vs Jim Schwartz's wide 9 defense is that both defenses have the pass rushers spread out passed the OT on both sides, and thus have an easier path to the QB if they don't have to contend with that offensive tackle. Hughes, and Mario should be getting after the QB 99.9% of the time because its what they do best. Is that difficult to understand?

43-wide-nine-defense-detroit-lions.png

Looking at Rex Ryan this year for Buffalo he has done a lot of good things that I doubt Whaley would have done. Bringing in QB Tyrod Taylor was a very smart move. Bringing in OG Richie Incognito, and giving him another chance to prove himself was another very smart move. Rex went after OG La"ell Collins, and just didn't get him. The WR Percy Harvin move didn't work out due to injuries, but it started to look like a great move at first.

Rex Ryan's failings this year are mostly on defense with lack of QB pressures, and I happen to think its because of his choice in DC in Dennis Thurman. This because his defense just doesn't look the same as it did under Mike Pettine. Rex needs to be just the HC, and hire a better DC in one that can get the most out of those front four pass rushers. Fire the special teams coach, and hire one that knows what he is doing. Make certain his teams cut down on the penalties. JMHO

In terms of simple Points Allowed, it's easy to understand when Geno Smith (or EJ Manuel for that matter) is giving up points. And even if it's just points allowed on defense (taking out the pick 6's), a horrible offense is a major contributor to that stat: turnovers, punts from deep in your own territory, etc.

That's right. We just need to be patient. We've waited 15 years, what's another 1 or 2?

And that's the big thing here -- installing Rex as coach on a 5 year contract and allowing him to bring in his type of players to fit his type of scheme would be a fine idea for, say, the Niners right now, a team that needs to go into full rebuilding mode. But wasn't the idea to win now? As in 2015-2016 now? The teams that never seem to make that leap are often the ones that misread the competition cycle. Were the Bills 2015 in more of a John Fox "slow and steady, incremental improvment" moment than a Rex Ryan "build a team in my image" moment? Maybe the Bears need Rexy and we needed Foxy ...

I tend to agree with this.

This season is important and we've wasted nearly half of it implementing a complicated new system.

Is Rex's system so important that we had to spend this year implementing it so we could shoot for the playoffs next year?

There had to be a better way.

I tend to agree with this.

This season is important and we've wasted nearly half of it implementing a complicated new system.

Is Rex's system so important that we had to spend this year implementing it so we could shoot for the playoffs next year?

There had to be a better way.

That's the problem. They went all-in for 2015. Next year starts getting tougher. Gilmore, Bradham, Incognito -- you gotta find the money for them or good replacements for them. This year was already a big gamble, depending on Tyrod (or EJ!) taking a big leap forward. But messing with the defense at the same time? I just don't get it. It was supposed to be "we're dominant on defense, we'll pound the ball on offense, avoid turnovers with the idea that our explosive playmakers will substitute for a quality QB, and get to the playoffs."

I'm just not buying into the defense isn't working because it's complex argument. I get that it's something to talk about since the ex players comments - but the veterans we have on the d line are more than capable of picking up a defense. I think it has much more to do with the buy in - in terms of the players don't think the philosophy matches their skills.

I would imagine Mario is wondering why his job is to lock horns with the O-lineman and contain vs taking a wide angle to the QB. I would also imagine his concern was something like - they are paying me a lot of money to sack the QB and if I don't that money doesn't seem well spent and they're going to ask me to restructure and take a pay cut and my negotiating power is diminished because my stats won't speak for themselves. Furthermore it isn't working and QB's have way too much time.

Could everyone imagine if Hughes contract was up this year instead of last year?

The Buffalo Bills did just that with Saint Doug, and the offense was downright bad 2013-2014 finishing in the bottom third both years. A supposed O line guru and the line stunk. Bad choice for an OC with 2 rookie QB's along with a guy who started exactly on NFL game. Hackett made both CJ Spiller, and the fans throw up. Funny thing is St Doug walked away or otherwise we would get another year of an inept offense. So I kinda doubt ownership can actually see the problems with Rex Ryan, and a lot are on defense, special teams, penalties.

My thoughts on the difference between Wade Phillips 3-4 heavy blitz attack with their outside LBers Ware, Von Miller vs Jim Schwartz's wide 9 defense is that both defenses have the pass rushers spread out passed the OT on both sides, and thus have an easier path to the QB if they don't have to contend with that offensive tackle. Hughes, and Mario should be getting after the QB 99.9% of the time because its what they do best. Is that difficult to understand?

43-wide-nine-defense-detroit-lions.png

Looking at Rex Ryan this year for Buffalo he has done a lot of good things that I doubt Whaley would have done. Bringing in QB Tyrod Taylor was a very smart move. Bringing in OG Richie Incognito, and giving him another chance to prove himself was another very smart move. Rex went after OG La"ell Collins, and just didn't get him. The WR Percy Harvin move didn't work out due to injuries, but it started to look like a great move at first.

Rex Ryan's failings this year are mostly on defense with lack of QB pressures, and I happen to think its because of his choice in DC in Dennis Thurman. This because his defense just doesn't look the same as it did under Mike Pettine. Rex needs to be just the HC, and hire a better DC in one that can get the most out of those front four pass rushers. Fire the special teams coach, and hire one that knows what he is doing. Make certain his teams cut down on the penalties. JMHO

I agree with some of this - but the Marrone situation was different for a number of reasons. He came in at 6-10 to a team that wasn't ready to go all in. He went 6-10 then improved to 9-7 (best mark for TEN years) he also wasn't calling plays on offense - and we were all shouting for the head of the guy who was. Rex came in to a 9-7 team - if we get WORSE as a result of what was the strength of the team and the strength of the Head Coach and play caller then I think he should and will be under pressure. I doubt he will be fired, but I think it would put him on the year 2 hotseat. Personally I would move on but that is probably to do with where I started from on Rex - I thought he was the wrong hire.

Your description on defense is right if a bit simplistic, it is about the more that rushing and pressure - there are coverage problems too at the linebacker level which Badol wrote an excellent synopsis on the other day. I never thought Harvin was a good pick up - I have always believed him to be overrated, and I agree with what others have said - no way Rex cans Thurman.

Rex and Roman were excellent hires - but obviously things aren't working out perfectly and everyone knows that. But this firing after one year stuff is so immature. It's been 7 games dude - you gotta figure out a way to relax.

Roman is a big upgrade, but I don't agree that Rex was an excellent hire. I don't think Rex Ryan is a bad football coach. I think he was a bad fit here with this team at this time and this team looks like I feared it would and before I get accused of it I am nor just giving a negative take here. I said after he was hired I didn't like the hire, but I would not bang on about it unless the things I feared came to fruition. The problem is some of them have.

I want the Bills to win make no mistake about that. I want them to win more than anything. I don't like believing we have the wrong Head Coach, but that is in fact what I believe. I will be cheering for Rex and the players in my home in north London on Sunday the same as I do every time they take the field and if Rex gets this team to the post-season I will be the first to eat the humble pie. I just think this is the wrong fit.

I have no idea why Ryan didn't take what Schwartz's defense did very well, keep it and sprinkle in some Ryan strategy for the things that it didn't' do well.

Coaches are like any other manager who insist on fixing problems with their own special brand of "fix" completely ignoring the question of whether something is actually broken.

I think the defense is a complete mess and it's all on the coaching. You pay guys a lot of money to pass rush and they don't. You have very confused linebackers as to what they should be doing. I think some of the penalties come from a panic and frustration of not knowing the scheme.

I sincerely hope the coaching staff took the bye week to get things sorted out.

What's "complicated" about dropping out best pass rushers into coverage? I don't get it. Is it part of the "complex" deception?

Unexpected looks... Go back and watch the 2007 (I think) giants.... They shut down Brady by dropping Osi unexpectedly and doing so took away some of those short lanes that Brady loves to use...

I think two of the biggest things impacting our defense is field position, and penalties.

Right now our team is giving up the 3rd worst field position... our opponents start on the 30 yard line... compare that to the Bengals, whose opponents start on the 21. If the opposing team drives 30 yards (a fairly average drive), they are getting into deep FG position (i think? 57 yrd fg?) against us, while the Bengals have forced a punt. That adds up over the course of a season.

The other, penalties... while we're middle of the pack in yards per game on the defensive side, we're in the top 3rd when it comes to first downs due to defensive penalties per game... 2.7, vs a team like the Bengals, at 1.38. Again, this sort of thing adds up.

We're giving up an extra first down, and giving our opponents 10 yd shorter field, compared to other teams in the league. This makes it much easier for our opponents to get scores.

We're going to need better play out of our offense, and importantly, better play from our special teams, to help our defense keep our opponents in check in terms of scoring. The defense isn't great, but definitely not bad... it seems to be top 3rd to top half in most categories that aren't impacted by the above two statistics.

I think two of the biggest things impacting our defense is field position, and penalties.

Right now our team is giving up the 3rd worst field position... our opponents start on the 30 yard line... compare that to the Bengals, whose opponents start on the 21. If the opposing team drives 30 yards (a fairly average drive), they are getting into deep FG position (i think? 57 yrd fg?) against us, while the Bengals have forced a punt. That adds up over the course of a season.

The other, penalties... while we're middle of the pack in yards per game on the defensive side, we're in the top 3rd when it comes to first downs due to defensive penalties per game... 2.7, vs a team like the Bengals, at 1.38. Again, this sort of thing adds up.

We're giving up an extra first down, and giving our opponents 10 yd shorter field, compared to other teams in the league. This makes it much easier for our opponents to get scores.

We're going to need better play out of our offense, and importantly, better play from our special teams, to help our defense keep our opponents in check in terms of scoring. The defense isn't great, but definitely not bad... it seems to be top 3rd to top half in most categories that aren't impacted by the above two statistics.

Excellent point on field position. Which is why a good offense makes for a better defense and vice versa.