Former players convinced me that Rex's D will start clicking

I was listening to Jason Taylor on Sirius NFL Radio today and a Bills fan called in and asked about Rex and his D.

Taylor said that of all the coaches he ever had, it took him the longest period of time, most work, and most study to figure out what he was supposed to do in Rex's D. It was an enormous adjustment and it is extremely complicated. Eventually he got it but it took some time.

This meshes with things other guys have said about Rex's defense: it's complicated, relies on a ton of new terms and communication, as well as a bunch of unique concepts. At first it's very difficult to grasp. But eventually once the players get it things start clicking.

I think this is what we are seeing with this D. Rex did not forget how to coach defense. The DL did not forget how to pass rush. It's just going to take some time for this thing to start humming.

BTW, that vaunted Schwartz defense got shredded by Brady and couldn't stop the Raiders when it mattered too. Let's not pretend that last year's defense was some sort of iron curtain.

I still believe in Rex and I EXPECT to see the defense improve tremendously over the 2nd half of the season.

This is pretty much how I feel about it as well

My only fear is that it took too long for this year and we end up coming like 1 game short

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the idea is that instead of "making it simple" you deal with the growing pains knowing that WHEN (not if) it clicks you are going to have a dominant defense on your hands.

These guys will get it. When they do they will be able to hang with the elite QBs.

As I mentioned, a few years ago Rex's vaunted Jets D got embarrassed by the Patriots* in prime time (something crazy like 45+ points given up) then in a playoff game just a few weeks later they went into NE* and beat them soundly, pretty much shutting Brady down in the process.

No two games are alike. Having a super complicated defense allows you a chance of confusing a QB like Brady.

I love Denver, Manning, and Wade. BUT the trouble with Wade's defenses is that they pay early dividends but don't have staying power because they are pretty basic and rely on guys having talent and just making plays.

give me a PM when you need someone to ride up with you and split some driving! No plans for the Texans game yet, but i have two tickets that have not sold as of yet.sooooo

I'm in the same boat for that game. I'm trying to think whether or not I even want to go to that game or save some money and wait for the Cowboys game. My tickets are listed but no bites yet. Houston just sucks......

I'm in the same boat for that game. I'm trying to think whether or not I even want to go to that game or save some money and wait for the Cowboys game. My tickets are listed but no bites yet. Houston just sucks......

C'mon they have JJ Watt! And DeAndre Hopkins! And Jadaveon Clowney! And Hoyer at QB!

I was listening to Jason Taylor on Sirius NFL Radio today and a Bills fan called in and asked about Rex and his D.

Taylor said that of all the coaches he ever had, it took him the longest period of time, most work, and most study to figure out what he was supposed to do in Rex's D. It was an enormous adjustment and it is extremely complicated. Eventually he got it but it took some time.

This meshes with things other guys have said about Rex's defense: it's complicated, relies on a ton of new terms and communication, as well as a bunch of unique concepts. At first it's very difficult to grasp. But eventually once the players get it things start clicking.

I think this is what we are seeing with this D. Rex did not forget how to coach defense. The DL did not forget how to pass rush. It's just going to take some time for this thing to start humming.

BTW, that vaunted Schwartz defense got shredded by Brady and couldn't stop the Raiders when it mattered too. Let's not pretend that last year's defense was some sort of iron curtain.

I still believe in Rex and I EXPECT to see the defense improve tremendously over the 2nd half of the season.

Here's to hoping you're right buddy :thumbsup:

well they better have gotten it this week cause they need to go on a run we haven't seen in many years...like 5 straight wins.

well, they need 2 of the next 3 that's for sure, and one of them is Foxboro in MNF. so yeah, need the next two it would seem. they have the whole team back, this is what we've waited for since July. get your popcorn out. go bills

Where's the proof that Rex is a "defensive genius?" Just because someone says it, doesn't mean it's true. Part of being a genius should be making significant adjustments when things are not right. I haven't seen much sign of that. And tailoring defensive schemes to the capabilities of your personnel (as in rushing the passer when you have fine pass rushers) doesn't take a brilliant mind. Anyone can attempt to hammer a square peg into a round hole. Also, I haven't seen game plans that smack of genius, or coaching disciplined play for that matter. Rex has to show me plenty before he earns the six letter adjective.

What's "complicated" about dropping out best pass rushers into coverage? I don't get it. Is it part of the "complex" deception?

I see / hear this quoted all the time on TBD - I'd love to know the actual number of times our D line dropped? Even if Mario is dropping, say 5% of the time, he's still not making enough hay the other 95% of the time, IMO!

Edited by Heitz

True, but everyone gets shredded by Brady and the Raiders game was bad but the defense also shut down Aaron Rodgers just one week earlier.

But yes, I like the optimism when it comes to Ryan. As I recall, I think it took the Ravens some time to really understand his defense.

Edited by Talley56

Where's the proof that Rex is a "defensive genius?" Just because someone says it, doesn't mean it's true. Part of being a genius should be making significant adjustments when things are not right. I haven't seen much sign of that. And tailoring defensive schemes to the capabilities of your personnel (as in rushing the passer when you have fine pass rushers) doesn't take a brilliant mind. Anyone can attempt to hammer a square peg into a round hole. Also, I haven't seen game plans that smack of genius, or coaching disciplined play for that matter. Rex has to show me plenty before he earns the six letter adjective.

I agree with you, pal. Losing to the Giants & Jags while getting 30+ points hung on you with multiple penalties & getting hammered by the Bengals is far from "genius".

Yea, the EJ meltdown didn't help, but the Bills had the lead in that one in the 4 th qtr and his "genius" defense didn't stop them when they had to. And what, his genius defense takes at least 7 games into the season to start getting it right? Too much of the season is gone by, by that time, except with a team that's just plane starting from scratch. And that's not the Bills here. I like your points Allen. No doubt Jason Taylor's remarks are encouraging, but we're going to have to go on a tear here to have a legit shot for a Wild card spot. That's my 3 cents at least.

Well, maybe Rex should have simplified it a little. We supposedly had some of the best defense talent in the league ( well at least we're paying them that way) We've already lost to a couple of teams we should have beat. When is it all going to click, week 13 ????

It's a nice theory and I hope it's right.

But Pettine and Schwartz each came in and taught new systems in one year and were successful... so why can't Rex do it?

Frankly my biggest gripe is that this team is undisciplined and unwatchable. I don't mind the learning curve or the lack of instant success. The stupidity is driving me mad, especially when combined with all of the bluster. I'm sick of watching a big dumb bully play football.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

if this was true then the 2009 Jets would have shown the same learning curve and we know that wasn't the case. i wish we could blame it on that but under Pettine we were basically running the same defense so it's not like this is a brand new thing they have to learn. the fact is that Rex's defense has always had great LB's and DB's. he never had great edge rushers like what we have and he doesn't know how to use them. he's trying to confuse everyone with who is rushing and who is dropping. but the only people he's confusing are his own players. the D Line played much better in a system like Schwartz's from last year where they just attack the QB. that's what we are paying them to do. stop dropping our DLine into coverage and just let them rush. keep it simple stupid

But Pettine and Schwartz each came in and taught new systems in one year and were successful... so why can't Rex do it?

Pettine probably dumbed down the defensive scheme that he coordinated in New York, erring on the side of stopping the pass because of New England. Chan's prior defenses were so abysmal that he had nothing to lose; even though the run defense was less than stellar during his tenure, the sheer improvement that he realized propelled him into a head coaching gig.

Rex probably assumed that the players would remember the pass defense aspects from Pettine's season and, in harmony with the ball control strategy that he hired Greg Roman to implement, he erred on the side of stopping the run. The problem is that the players can't or won't play the pass like they did under Pettine.

Edited by nonprophet

I hope your right.

I will say however, that the reason Oakland lit us up was because Dareus went out that game and the Bills couldn't prevent anything shorter than an 8 yard run. And Brady is Brady.

And i'm not sold on Rex's scheme fitting our personel.