Former players convinced me that Rex's D will start clicking

Your last sentence says it all. We can talk about the player stats and the field position and the QB giving up 3 turnovers and the penalties and all that. But the bottom line is this defense is not getting it done when it counts.

People blame EJ for the loss to Jax, and yes he sucked it and showed us all why he's not starting, but.... he also dug himself out of that hole and got the lead back. The defense wasn't overly tired or anything, yet when it mattered most... They couldn't stop Jax from driving all the way down the field and winning the game. That's on the defense, plain and simple. Man up coaches and players, stop making excuses and stop them when it counts.

I figured the defense would take some time to come together under Rex and an entirely new staff, but what I didn't expect was that at mid way through the season I'd feel better with the offense on the field with 5 mins left in the game, needing a score to win versus having the defense on the field needing to make a stop to secure the win.

i will add that they didn't stop the opponent when it counted last year, either. SD, KC, Miami on TNF, Raiders. 4 games that changed the season and they allowed to score TDs at the end of the game. Beating GB , Chicago and Detroit was fun, and the D did stop them when it mattered, but NFC wins are not as good as AFC wins when it comes to WC tiebreakers. So again, shared accountability. It is as much on the players as it is the scheme. Neither is free of criticism. Both need to work - together - to get better. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i will add that they didn't stop the opponent when it counted last year, either. SD, KC, Miami on TNF, Raiders. 4 games that changed the season and they allowed to score TDs at the end of the game. Beating GB , Chicago and Detroit was fun, and the D did stop them when it mattered, but NFC wins are not as good as AFC wins when it comes to WC tiebreakers. So again, shared accountability. It is as much on the players as it is the scheme. Neither is free of criticism. Both need to work - together - to get better.

I completely agree. The one thing that seems to stick out and really get at me more than anything is too many of our "great" players, play without heart. And have for quite some time.

That was my big grievance over cutting Fred Jackson. He was one of the few guys that played with heart. He could lift his level of play and the players around him. Now... Who does that on this team? We get guys coming out saying... When the QB gets the ball out in under 2 seconds, what can we do? When the refs throw flags all day, what can we do? It's like they all have built in excuses to accommodate their mediocrity.

I completely agree. The one thing that seems to stick out and really get at me more than anything is too many of our "great" players, play without heart. And have for quite some time.

That was my big grievance over cutting Fred Jackson. He was one of the few guys that played with heart. He could lift his level of play and the players around him. Now... Who does that on this team? We get guys coming out saying... When the QB gets the ball out in under 2 seconds, what can we do? When the refs throw flags all day, what can we do? It's like they all have built in excuses to accommodate their mediocrity.

i didn't see much heart in London on D outside of Graham and Robey. Kyle Williams always does, really miss him right now on that DL. Very disappointing. I really thought it would be different. I do think McCoy plays with heart on O, so don't miss Fred as much from that standpoint. But he'll always be a favorite.

Need to see more passion this week from the whole defense. Or they will be toast and they can blame themselves. The coaches said they simplified the D in the bye week, and even so they are halfway through the season now. They've had this D in place since May. Time to shut up and make plays IMO. Stop blaming the coaches. Pisses me off.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i didn't see much heart in London on D outside of Graham and Robey. Kyle Williams always does, really miss him right now on that DL. Very disappointing. I really thought it would be different. I do think McCoy plays with heart on O, so don't miss Fred as much from that standpoint. But he'll always be a favorite.

Need to see more passion this week from the whole defense. Or they will be toast and they can blame themselves. The coaches said they simplified the D in the bye week, and even so they are halfway through the season now. They've had this D in place since May. Time to shut up and make plays IMO. Stop blaming the coaches. Pisses me off.

Yep, Kyle Williams has always been a favorite of mine because of his attitude every bit as much as his play.

And I like the way Shady plays as well. He's definitely worth the moves they made to bring him in. But, outside of that... Its a whole lotta meh. When things go well... all is great. But when things get tough, the excuses start.

The great teams have great players. They don't talk trash. They don't make excuses. They just simply hate to lose and play every game and every series like it matters. And when they see team mates not caring... They call them out, they motivate them, they refuse to let them be losers either. We need that. We need players that have a passion for winning and an unwillingness to accept anything less.

Seriously, you are mad at the fans for pointing out the issues with the coaching staff?

Do you happen to work for the Buffalo Bills or are you employed by any member of the Buffalo Bills?

Seriously, you are mad at the fans for pointing out the issues with the coaching staff?

Do you happen to work for the Buffalo Bills or are you employed by any member of the Buffalo Bills?

i was referring to the players for blaming the coaches and not taking any accountability. I didn't say anything about the fans.

I also have said repeatedly that there are issues on both sides.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@MatthewWGR

PFF lists Mario Williams 7th among DEs in QB Hurries #Rex

As I posted earlier in this thread the team is currently 29th in defensive hurries with only 33. The NFL team leading in QB hurries currently has 74.

Kinda difficult for me to believe that stat without a proper link to it. It would be nice to link the PFF site that actually states that stat rather then someone else who is posting it on twitter.

i was referring to the players for blaming the coaches and not taking any accountability. I didn't say anything about the fans.

I also have said repeatedly that there are issues on both sides.

Ahh OK I read it the wrong way, I get it now.

But, don't you think there might be something to the players having to publicly voice their dislike of the system. I would think that is the very last thing those players would want to do, and it must be difficult for them when everyone is asking what is wrong this year. None of the players were saying anything publicly last season, and three of those four D linemen made the pro bowl in last years awesome defense.

That #3 overall in Marcell Dareus has been saying since training camp the coaches are using him wrong, and why would he do that if there wasn't something to it? Seven games, and one sack! I know I'd probably be complaining too.

Ahh OK I read it the wrong way, I get it now.

But, don't you think there might be something to the players having to publicly voice their dislike of the system. I would think that is the very last thing those players would want to do, and it must be difficult for them when everyone is asking what is wrong this year. None of the players were saying anything publicly last season, and three of those four D linemen made the pro bowl in last years awesome defense.

That #3 overall in Marcell Dareus has been saying since training camp the coaches are using him wrong, and why would he do that if there wasn't something to it? Seven games, and one sack! I know I'd probably be complaining too.

i do think there is a reason. But they should also take some responsibility as players. Regardless, I'm looking forward, not backward. When I say "stop blaming coaches" - it's time to move on now. As I've said, there should be shared accountability because despite the rankings and some of the sack stats and such from last year, they were far from perfect at their jobs in 2014 as a defensive unit. Again, the coaches have already said that they have simplified the D for the players in the bye week. They got what they wanted. It's time to move on and make plays now, no one to blame but themselves. They need to grind, not whine. Edited by YoloinOhio

• 3 weeks later...

I think we are starting to see it!

The NE* game we were without Mario for long stretches as well. We are also still down our starting safety, although Rambo has played really well.

Just look at what happened when Duke came in.

Communication is key in Rex's defense, and many of his former players like Ray Lewis have said how it is extremely complex and requires every man to know his responsibility and to communicate checks and switch offs. That all takes time and I think we are starting to see it happen right before our eyes.

Now imagine getting Kyle back, Mario at 100%, a healthy Aaron Williams. Rambo playing so much has been great for his development as well, so we have a very good 3rd safety.

Good things are coming!

I think we are starting to see it!

The NE* game we were without Mario for long stretches as well. We are also still down our starting safety, although Rambo has played really well.

Just look at what happened when Duke came in.

Communication is key in Rex's defense, and many of his former players like Ray Lewis have said how it is extremely complex and requires every man to know his responsibility and to communicate checks and switch offs. That all takes time and I think we are starting to see it happen right before our eyes.

Now imagine getting Kyle back, Mario at 100%, a healthy Aaron Williams. Rambo playing so much has been great for his development as well, so we have a very good 3rd safety.

Good things are coming!

Maybe this is the first time it was possible, but I doubt it. But this was also the first game that Rex was Rex. It looked like a Rex Ryan defense where you never knew where the pressure was coming from. The first game was totally Rex's fault for not being Rex. They rushed three and four, they didn't press, they didn't hit the guys off the line. This was the first game we saw the Rex trademark of what looked like 8-9 guys on the line until a few dropped back. This was his first game back, too. Even in games we played well on defense we didn't see this.

It was like a completely different Rex and a completely different defense.

If that defense take the field for the rest of the regular season they could go 5-1 easily.

KC, HOU, PHI, NYJ, WAS/DAL

I think it was Preston Brown saying that the defensive playbook is finally completely utilized, there were formations that weren't called because the concept had not been complete grasped yet. i'll have to find the quote, but we definitely got a glimpse of what we expected from the this D coming into the season...

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/11/22/bills-defense-ready-for-a-chess-match-against-brady-co/

On Monday, Brown expects a much, much more controlled operation than the one that went haywire in Week Two.

“That’s the biggest thing we need to show – that we’re calm,” Brown said. “We were looking spastic at times running out there and leaving guys wide open. At the goal line, letting them go free. There was stuff we can’t allow to happen. We understand what we have to do. We just have to go out and do it.”

What was complicated then, he adds, is simple now. Ryan should be able to thumb through more of his playbook.

Edited by ricojes