Derek Carr

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't look now, but Tannehill is on pace to have another good season. He played poorly against the Bills, but he has lit it up the past two games and is on place for 35 TDs with a 7.4 ypa average (his best to date by far). I think Bills fans consistently underrate him because he often struggles against Buffalo. He's a better-than-average qb who has improved every season.

Edited by dave mcbride

Don't look now, but Tannehill is on pace to have another good season. He played poorly against the Bills, but he has lit it up the past two games and is on place for 35 TDs with a 7.4 ypa average (his best to date by far). I think Bills fans consistently underrate him because he often struggles against Buffalo. He's a better-than-average qb who has improved every season.

The Dolphins are going nowhere with Ryan Tannehill because he is what he is - middle of the road. He will keep getting them to 8-8 or thereabouts and one day they might even make the play-offs. But they are not winning with him. No. Nay. Never.

And that is not based on Buffalo games. They show the Dolphins a lot over here.

The Dolphins are going nowhere with Ryan Tannehill because he is what he is - middle of the road. He will keep getting them to 8-8 or thereabouts and one day they might even make the play-offs. But they are not winning with him. No. Nay. Never.

a qb who can get you to 8-8 only needs a RB who can win you a game or two, see seattle when they needed a goal line RB and then you add a d who can win you 3-4 games and tat 8-8 qb is 12-4.

Its Brady early on.

I say we have Whaley flogged 100 times for every QB that he didn't draft since 2013. How he could pass up on all that elite talent? Now who is the pivot man?

Why stop at 2013. If you listen to this board, you'll learn that Whaley really was responsible for everything wrong done by Buddy Nix. In fact, some say that Whaley was even behind that prank phone call. </sarcasm>

Reggie McKenzie has done impressive drafting in Oakland. Carr, Mack, Cooper to name a few. He's ridiculously handicapped by the Mark Davis financial situation that backfilling in with free agents will be a problem until Davis gets his financial house in order.

TTs are actually better. 70% completion, 8.0 YPA and 103 rating, and that doesn't count the running. TT is sixth in the league in passing. People seem to be forgetting that in all this woe is me and the Bills suck.

Outside of Cam Newton (who is 6'6 and 260#) a team needs a pocket passing QB. Tyrod may become that but it's worrisome that he's hurt and it happened on a long scramble. It's difficult to succeed in this league playing your backup 4 games every season.

The Bills may be 3-4 and "all this woe" but they're certainly trending down after a debilitating loss in London. The defense is a mess, the starting QB is injured as is their 2014 top pick WR, and internal strife between the GM and HC. 3-4 is extremely underwhelming and doesn't tell the story of where they are at their bye week.

Edited by BillsVet

TTs are actually better. 70% completion, 8.0 YPA and 103 rating, and that doesn't count the running. TT is sixth in the league in passing. People seem to be forgetting that in all this woe is me and the Bills suck.

Yeah I know. I'm pumped about TT--I truly feel we've found our guy. I'm surprised more aren't feeling the same way. I've seen many the "QB is still the issue" and "Whaley and co. dropped the ball" posts and threads.

QB is not the issue imo. TT should also only improve with more real game experience. Our biggest issues are the injuries and the defense not getting Rex's system and performing how literally every fan and even the media believed they would. That is the colossal failure so far this season--not QB.

Outside of Cam Newton (who is 6'6 and 260#) a team needs a pocket passing QB. Tyrod may become that but it's worrisome that he's hurt and it happened on a long scramble. It's difficult to succeed in this league playing your backup 4 games every season.

The Bills may be 3-4 and "all this woe" but they're certainly trending down after a debilitating loss in London. The defense is a mess, the starting QB is injured as is their 2014 top pick WR, and internal strife between the GM and HC. 3-4 is extremely underwhelming and doesn't tell the story of where they are at their bye week.

Tyrod has shown he can make all the throws from inside and outside the pocket. Can he improve inside the pocket? Yes! He needs more experience.

I agree with most of that post... but I am not sure about the strife between the HC and GM. I have seen or heard nothing that makes me believe that is any more than idle rumour.

I like Derek Carr, and watched in disbelief as he beat the Bills in Oakland last year. Against that Schwartz defense on 3rd and 22 Carr hits Holmes for a 51 yard pass :doh:

This year he is looking really good with WR Amari Cooper, and the Raiders are 3-3 which is as many wins as they had all last year. Their defense still stinks even with Mack.

Hope they beat the Jests this week.

What strife are you referring to?

Tyrod has shown he can make all the throws from inside and outside the pocket. Can he improve inside the pocket? Yes! He needs more experience.

I'm not sure he's demonstrated he can make every throw...consistently. He was 10-17 in the Tennessee game for 109 yards, which is a stat line QB's who can "make all the throws" rarely if ever have, especially against a low ranked defense. What is telling about a QB, and there are glimpses with Taylor, is that he's improving reading defenses and therefore being able to throw receivers open. I like that.

That said, I feel more comfortable with him now than I did with EJ after the latter self-destructed in London. If EJ plays that way against arguably the worst team in the NFL, Buffalo has no shot against better teams.

Outside of Cam Newton (who is 6'6 and 260#) a team needs a pocket passing QB.

I saw a stat the other day that stated Cam has been his 3 times as much as any other QB in the past 3 (or was it 4?) years. Those hits are going to take their toll at some point, no matter how big he is. Unless they change the way he's used he is going to have a serious drop off much earlier than most QBs. They should enjoy it while they can.

I saw a stat the other day that stated Cam has been his 3 times as much as any other QB in the past 3 (or was it 4?) years. Those hits are going to take their toll at some point, no matter how big he is. Unless they change the way he's used he is going to have a serious drop off much earlier than most QBs. They should enjoy it while they can.

Not saying it fully mitigates those hits, because it doesn't, but have you seen how much extra padding Cam wears? Rib Protector, Thighs, Knees, and Shins, among other things. It's kind of telling.

Some folks told me Carr sucked worse than EJ.

Lol, yeah I heard that also.

and you say this why?

I say it because he doesn't do anything special. When I look at Tannehill I see a guy who can do everything passably well but nothing that really sets him apart.

His reading of defenses? It's okay, not great.

His arm talent? It's okay, not great.

His accuracy? It's solid but not special.

His pocket awareness? I actually think is a bit of a weakness although it is not his fault - it has developed running for his life behind bad lines.

His leadership? It's okay.

His legs? Better than he gets credit for but not elite in the way a Wilson, of Kap or even Tyrod are.

He is a middle of the road Quarterback in pretty much every way. The guys who win without being truly elite are the guys who have one or two elite characteristics that set them apart - Flacco's arm talent for example. I think Carr will have a much better career than Tannehill.

He was 10-17 in the Tennessee game for 109 yards, which is a stat line QB's who can "make all the throws" rarely if ever have, especially against a low ranked defense.

Russel Wilson has had 21 games in his career with sub 200 yards passing including many in the 120s and even a 108. Not too worried about looking at stats of a few games and trying to read the tea leaves and predict his future based on them. Consistent, quality, QB play is what we need, not spectacular stats.

Russel Wilson has had 21 games in his career with sub 200 yards passing including many in the 120s and even a 108. Not too worried about looking at stats of a few games and trying to read the tea leaves and predict his future based on them. Consistent, quality, QB play is what we need, not spectacular stats.

You're seriously comparing Russell Wilson to Tyrod Taylor? That's an extremely poor conflation, but I'll play along. Wilson (who hasn't missed a game since his rookie year) has 24 games of less than 200 yards passing out of 63 starts. 15 of those occurred during his rookie or 2nd year, although Seattle is 17-7 in those games. This includes playoffs.

I don't consider Wilson an elite QB on par with Rodgers or Brady. But he's certainly very good.

You're seriously comparing Russell Wilson to Tyrod Taylor? That's an extremely poor conflation, but I'll play along. Wilson (who hasn't missed a game since his rookie year) has 24 games of less than 200 yards passing out of 63 starts. 15 of those occurred during his rookie or 2nd year, although Seattle is 17-7 in those games. This includes playoffs.

I don't consider Wilson an elite QB on par with Rodgers or Brady. But he's certainly very good.

Tyrod is in essence in his rookie starting year....yes he has been on NFL squads so he is a experienced rookie

Tyrod is in essence in his rookie starting year....yes he has been on NFL squads so he is a experienced rookie

I figured this rationale was forthcoming.

Aaron Rodgers watched 3 seasons from the sidelines in Green bay. In his "rookie season" of 2008 he threw for 4k+ yards with 28 TD passes versus 13 INT.

That said, I see some good things from Tyrod that he can build on. I just am not ready, given what the team has invested all over the field, to give him an out in the event things continue sliding downhill this season.

I figured this rationale was forthcoming.

Aaron Rodgers watched 3 seasons from the sidelines in Green bay. In his "rookie season" of 2008 he threw for 4k+ yards with 28 TD passes versus 13 INT.

Ummm... Tyrod played 5 games. He's thrown 9 TDs and has 4 Ints. Extrapolated over 16 games that is 28-29 TDs and 13 INTs. He wouldn't have as many yards but he has a better percentage and that doesn't count his running, which is another couple TDs.

In fact, he has about 1100 yards. For 16 games that is 3500. He also has 187 yards rushing. For 16 games that is about 600+ more. Which is 4100.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Yeah, I'm seriously comparing them. Nowhere did I say Taylor was as good, just pointing out that simply having a poor yardage day isn't the end of the world.

Ummm... Tyrod played 5 games. He's thrown 9 TDs and has 4 Ints. Extrapolated over 16 games that is 28-29 TDs and 13 INTs. He wouldn't have as many yards but he has a better percentage and that doesn't count his running, which is another couple TDs.

In fact, he has about 1100 yards. For 16 games that is 3500. He also has 187 yards rushing. For 16 games that is about 600+ more. Which is 4100.

Not really interested in hypotheticals at this point. My point earlier was that Wilson has been, despite his style of play, durable. Tyrod has not been that. At least not yet.

The other concept lost on this board is that as teams get tape on Buffalo, they typically aren't able to match early season results. And that goes for both individual players and sides of the ball. I certainly hope Taylor returns and continues to play well, but it'll be the mark of how much he improves and how the staff game-plans around their weaknesses.

If we're talking statistics, Taylor's play fell off since the Week 1 win. His yards per attempt fell from 10.3 in week 1 to 6.4 and to me that is one of the more defining metric of how well a QB is playing.

Plus breaking his back in the car accident.

I still believe it was how they had mismanaged the spot prior to 2013 rather than in 2013 and 2014 that has left them in this position. For me they have to draft a Quarterback early this year. It doesn't HAVE to be a 1st... but a 1st or 2nd should be spent at the position in my view if there is a guy there you think is worth a shot. Get a Quarterback and a left tackle first two pick please.

Pretty much, This. Tyrod Taylor may work out - or he may not. People seem to have short memories that he was failing to spot open guys esp. over the middle of the field, throwing some drive-killing INTs and taking drive-killing sacks vs. stepping up into the pocket and/or throwing it away - some of the same mistakes EJ made. I like Willie and when he's hot, I'm screamin!.

But I would like to see another QB in the hopper, please.

For too long this team has been about thinking we have the right guy on the roster if he only takes a step. The real mistake was waiting until 2013 to draft a QB rather than taking one in 2011 or 2012.