Derek Carr

Is he going to be the next franchise QB? His numbers this year are pretty great:

65.8 percent completion pct, 11/3 TD-to-INT ratio, 7.6 ypa (8.0 adjusted ypa), and a very low 4.0 percent sack rate. All of that adds up to a rating of 101.0 through 6 games. Personally, I thought he began playing well in the second half of last season (with a couple of duds), and he's certainly on the improvement track this year. Great pick by the Raiders, who may well get to the playoffs in a mediocre AFC.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02.htm

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he going to be the next franchise QB? His numbers this year are pretty great:

65.8 percent completion pct, 11/3 TD-to-INT ratio, 7.6 ypa (8.0 adjusted ypa), and a very low 4.0 percent sack rate. All of that adds up to a rating of 101.0 through 6 games. Personally, I thought he began playing well in the second half of last season (with a couple of duds), and he's certainly on the improvement track this year. Great pick by the Raiders, who may well get to the playoffs in a mediocre AFC.

Carr is more evidence that even if you're in "QB Purgatory" you can still acquire a good NFL QB. What's interesting is Reggie McKenzie, who's had his share of bad decisions, drafted a QB and then selected what many considered an elite receiver in Amari Cooper.

Yea I'm not sure why this is such a hard concept for Whaley.

He refuses to draft QB's.

Whaley did the exact same thing. Drafted a QB and then drafted a stud WR for that QB the next year. Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Whaley did the exact same thing. Drafted a QB and then drafted a stud WR for that QB the next year.

That he did. I didn't really want this to devolve right away into an EJ thread, btw. The thing about Carr is that I really thought he dropped a little because teams felt burned by his brother (who went to the same school). That view seems like it turned out to be unfair to Carr, but the Raiders are reaping the benefits of other teams' lack of vision regarding Carr.

Yes, Derek is what David was supposed to be. Wish he was in a Bills uni.

I'm a fan, and have been since his last year in College. Right now he is trending in the right direction, but is certainly reliant on some good weapons being available (I'd expect this from a young QB). We'll see if he can continue to grow and become one of those QB's that makes weapons look better than they are.

Yes, Derek is what David was supposed to be. Wish he was in a Bills uni.

The huge difference between the two is the sack rate. David Carr had a stratospheric lifetime sack rate of 10.5 percent, and Derek's through 2 seasons is a miniscule 3.9 percent. He had a 3. 9 percent sack rate as a rookie, which is just unbelievably low for a first-year qb. David Carr's sack rate in his first season was 14.6 percent! Basically, 1 out of every 7 dropbacks ended up in a drive-killing sack.

Edited by dave mcbride

The huge difference between the two is the sack rate. David Carr had a stratospheric lifetime sack rate of 10.5 percent, and Derek's through 2 seasons is a miniscule 3.9 percent. He had a 3. 9 percent sack rate as a rookie, which is just unbelievably low for a first-year qb. David Carr's sack rate in his first season was 14.6 percent!

I used to love the excuses made for David Carr.

First it was that he needed a star o-linemen. Then, he needed a star WR. Then, it was because he lacked a legit no. 2 WR. Then it would all come together if he only had a good TE.

The huge difference between the two is the sack rate. David Carr had a stratospheric lifetime sack rate of 10.5 percent, and Derek's through 2 seasons is a miniscule 3.9 percent. He had a 3. 9 percent sack rate as a rookie, which is just unbelievably low for a first-year qb. David Carr's sack rate in his first season was 14.6 percent! Basically, 1 out of every 7 dropbacks ended up in a drive-killing sack.

You think that Oakland's OL is in the upper echelon of the NFL? Not even close. Derek makes quick reads with the ball, is poised in the pocket even when he knows he is going to get hit, and delivers an accurate pass. He has some weapons this year, but he was showing improvement last year with what he had to work with. This Carr is a star in the making.

Any QB who can win games with the Raiders seems pretty legit to me. They have the Jets next week then the Steelers after that (perhaps with Ben coming back?) if they can win those games, no question he's the real deal.

Provided it doesn't cost us a spot, I'd like to see them make the playoffs. Franchise has been down so long they deserve something positive. Also like to see it for Khalil mack

Some folks told me Carr sucked worse than EJ.

Yeah, from the people that don't watch the games and just look at stats.

It's more like "If Carr was the Bills' QB the fans would run him out of town after his first bad game like EJ." I heard that a lot about any rookie QB that we could have had. Yeah, right.

It's looking like both Oakland and Minnesota dug themselves out of QB Purgatory.