Titans LB not fined for tackle that hurt Tyrod Taylor

YoloinOhio

We did get away with the same thing with Bradham later.

Bradham's jersey grab was clearly away from the collar area and he wasn't fined for it. And Mariota wasn't bent backwards like TT was, much less injured on the play. So at best you can say that the Titans didn't get an undeserved call.

It was clearly never a horse collar tackle--almost everyone saw this.

No need to change the rule. Pulling a guy down by the back of the jersey can't be legislated out of the game because one player injured his leg. The rule wan't meant to mitigate that type of injury. They also aren't likely to change the rule to help those who didn't understand the rule to save face....

theyre right, it wasnt horse collar, grabbed jersey

He grabbed the inside of the jersey or very close too but regardless when TT was already down with legs buckled the guy kept ripping him further down. Thats dirty ball and when I played I would of never did that to anyone.

Edited by billsfan_34

No need to change the rule. Pulling a guy down by the back of the jersey can't be legislated out of the game because one player injured his leg. The rule wan't meant to mitigate that type of injury. They also aren't likely to change the rule to help those who didn't understand the rule to save face....

Swing your partner do se do......Round and Round and Round we go.

Well that was the goal of the rule. Guys were getting knees blown out left and right. The tweak would simply change it from "inside the collar" to "above the nameplate" or something similar

I wouldn't expect that to happen though, unless we saw a few guys end up like tyrod

Well that was the goal of the rule. Guys were getting knees blown out left and right. The tweak would simply change it from "inside the collar" to "above the nameplate" or something similar

I wouldn't expect that to happen though, unless we saw a few guys end up like tyrod

I don't see any rule change coming. Too hard for them to interpret where the jersey was grabbed---they blew this call as the rule currently is written, imagine how bad it will be if they chnage the rule.

The rule currently makes no sense as a protector of runners or QBs as defenders are free to yank them down by the collar if they are in the tackle box/pocket.

I don't see any rule change coming. Too hard for them to interpret where the jersey was grabbed---they blew this call as the rule currently is written, imagine how bad it will be if they chnage the rule.

The rule currently makes no sense as a protector of runners or QBs as defenders are free to yank them down by the collar if they are in the tackle box/pocket.

I think part is that a guy running in the open field is much more exposed to the type of knee injury, but I won't claim to be a horse collar expert.

I do agree that it won't change over 1 injury. The same fans that will call for the rule book already being too big and too hard to enforce often see to be the same ones that struggle with the idea that you aren't going to have a perfect system that has every possible situation covered. The rule in place is pretty good at protecting the players and pretty easily defined. Unless we see a spike in incidents, I'm ok with accepting that the status quo is fine.

It was close enough. He grabbed him by the name and pulled him backwards. In full speed it looks like a horse collar and actually was just as dangerous.

Bradham grabbed Mariota in the middle of the number.

It was close enough. He grabbed him by the name and pulled him backwards. In full speed it looks like a horse collar and actually was just as dangerous.

Bradham grabbed Mariota in the middle of the number.

...and pulled him backwards. Maybe all backwards pulls of any kind should be outlawed.

If MAriota was the one who was injured instead of TT, no one here would be posting on it, let alone calling for a rule change.

@ProFootballTalk: Zach Brown not fined for tackle that injured Tyrod Taylor http://t.co/8JekRsERMV

Apparently indicating that it was an incorrect call and not horse collar

But neither was Bradham , he wasn't even given a penalty for his tackle on Mariotta which was exactly the same tackle that happened to Taylor the Bills just got lucky on one only Tyrod got hurt & Mariotta didn't ...

...and pulled him backwards. Maybe all backwards pulls of any kind should be outlawed.

If MAriota was the one who was injured instead of TT, no one here would be posting on it, let alone calling for a rule change.

And if what had happened to TT had happened to Brady, you wouldn't be going all out to discredit the call.

Yeah. Grabbing the jersey to make a tackle should be illegal. It's an easy call to make also.

Yeah. Grabbing the jersey to make a tackle should be illegal. It's an easy call to make also.

Maybe grabbing the back of the jersey and pulling straight down. Which is how injury occurs. Since preventing injury is solely what the rule is about.

True. Its football. it happens

But neither was Bradham , he wasn't even given a penalty for his tackle on Mariotta which was exactly the same tackle that happened to Taylor the Bills just got lucky on one only Tyrod got hurt & Mariotta didn't ...

it wasnt the same tackle. Furthermore. B

Mariota kicked his legs out to avoid injury. Thats the same attempted tackle on Boom herrons first run that we saw tore his jersey. Tyrod was twisted up. Not illegal but could be ugly.

Edited by Agent 91

This is the NFL though, so you cannot have a rule that makes sense and is easy to enforce. So the rule would have to be along the lines of you cannot grab the jersey within 7.1682738 inches of the collar.

The rule has wording that reflects intent. The way he was yanked to to the ground, though already stopped, was intent to injure in an aggressive manner. Yanking backwards violently is part of the wording.

I am past it, but it was clear the yanking was not needed to stop the play

mm not sure about that. It was the extra yanking, not the the hand placement that irked me

And if what had happened to TT had happened to Brady, you wouldn't be going all out to discredit the call.

Doc, you again dove into a waterless pool, despite all the warning signs. Invoking Brady won't help this time either.

Dumb question. By current NFL rules, if you pulled the hair of a guynsaynwith long dreads, is that considered a horse caller, or any other type of penalty?

I had a debate with my dad, and just wanted confirmation one way or another.

Tackling by the hair is perfectly legal. Seen it done many times, most spectacularly on Polamalu INT when he got absolutely ragdolled by an O-lineman, by the hair.

Dumb question. By current NFL rules, if you pulled the hair of a guynsaynwith long dreads, is that considered a horse caller, or any other type of penalty?

I had a debate with my dad, and just wanted confirmation one way or another.

Nope you can grab the hair saw it done last year and remember the announcers going over the rule

theyre right, it wasnt horse collar, grabbed jersey

Correct. I don't understand why this is so hard.

Nope you can grab the hair saw it done last year and remember the announcers going over the rule

Bradham dragging Chris Ivory down hard by the hair last year (completely legal) ...

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/640283

Edited by BobChalmers

I don't see any problem here. The commentators were incorrect to compare Bradham's tackle to Tyrod's horse collar. The replay showed Tyrod being taken down by his nameplate, while Bradham had a grip on Mariotta's number, about 10" lower on the jersey. Is a horse collar tackle a finable offense? Seems like they happen all the time and I never hear about fines.

I don't see any problem here. The commentators were incorrect to compare Bradham's tackle to Tyrod's horse collar. The replay showed Tyrod being taken down by his nameplate, while Bradham had a grip on Mariotta's number, about 10" lower on the jersey. Is a horse collar tackle a finable offense? Seems like they happen all the time and I never hear about fines.

yes it is a 17k fine

Pretty much all those personal fouls that cause injury come with fines

On a somewhat related note. The best QB of all time Joe Montana said on the NFLN that back in his day the some players sprayed silicone on their jerseys

So the defender couldn't hold on too the jersey when trying that stunt.

One of my favorite memories back in the day was a game involving SF. They often were accused of spraying their OL and DL with silicone spray, but always claimed innocence. Back then, the 49ers were like NE today - you either lived in the Bay Area and loved them, were a bandwagon fan, or absolutely hated them. I was in the last category. Not only were they tough to beat, but the tv crews were always lauding them for their greatness, like Walsh and Montana had cured cancer or secured world peace. Anyway, one Sunday afternoon, I was watching a 4:00 game between SF and some sacrificial lamb destined for slaughter and what did I see...you bet. A sideline shot of Harris Barton getting his jersey sprayed down with silicone. What was really funny was their reaction after they realized they had been caught on TV. It was so unmistakable, the announcers even had to acknowledge what they had witnessed.

The other note about horsecollar tackles has to be the risk to the knee. Tyrod's knees were definitely at risk because of how the LB flung his own legs onto the side/back of Tyrod. Bradham's tackle did not result in any contact with Mariotta's legs - he simply was "de-cleated" by the force of Bradham's tackle. The horsecollar rule is not meant to eliminate tackling from behind, but to eliminate the specific set of circumstances which cause knee damage (just like Tyrod's injury). The only thing that was at risk of injury for Marriota was his kiester and his pride.

One of my favorite memories back in the day was a game involving SF. They often were accused of spraying their OL and DL with silicone spray, but always claimed innocence. Back then, the 49ers were like NE today - you either lived in the Bay Area and loved them, were a bandwagon fan, or absolutely hated them. I was in the last category. Not only were they tough to beat, but the tv crews were always lauding them for their greatness, like Walsh and Montana had cured cancer or secured world peace. Anyway, one Sunday afternoon, I was watching a 4:00 game between SF and some sacrificial lamb destined for slaughter and what did I see...you bet. A sideline shot of Harris Barton getting his jersey sprayed down with silicone. What was really funny was their reaction after they realized they had been caught on TV. It was so unmistakable, the announcers even had to acknowledge what they had witnessed.

The other note about horsecollar tackles has to be the risk to the knee. Tyrod's knees were definitely at risk because of how the LB flung his own legs onto the side/back of Tyrod. Bradham's tackle did not result in any contact with Mariotta's legs - he simply was "de-cleated" by the force of Bradham's tackle. The horsecollar rule is not meant to eliminate tackling from behind, but to eliminate the specific set of circumstances which cause knee damage (just like Tyrod's injury). The only thing that was at risk of injury for Marriota was his kiester and his pride.

this i my interpretation also. of course players need to be tackled from behind, grab anything you can but inside the shoulder pads above the numbers or yank a defenseless player back wards before the whistle.

this i my interpretation also. of course players need to be tackled from behind, grab anything you can but inside the shoulder pads above the numbers or yank a defenseless player back wards before the whistle.

None of this is in that rule. It's amazing how many here are simply defining the rule in any way they want and are disappointed the refs aren't going along with it.

When somebody hit Brady in the foot they made that illegal.

None of this is in that rule. It's amazing how many here are simply defining the rule in any way they want and are disappointed the refs aren't going along with it.

okay. read it again. I did. my simple opinion has nothing to do with the refs

how about you reference it again for us please?

When somebody hit Brady in the foot they made that illegal.

heck, look at the pissant wrong and a rule change is coming j/k

It doesn't matter anymore. Everyone knows its a slanted field. just deal with it, The Players have to. so should we

Edited by 3rdand12