A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Chris Hogan is a baller. Horrificly underrated on this board. The long catch was a great adjustment of his body and he did well to haul in a low pass for the TD. He blocks well, he plays special teams and to this point this season is outplaying Woods who seems out of sorts.

I agree on Tyrod. He has to run to win. He isn't going to win us many games stood in the pocket throwing.

The line regressed the more the game went on.

He deserves more touches after today for sure.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. TT needs a better game.

2. If there's no running game, spreads the darn field and create space! Then TT will be able to do his thing better.

3. Quick slant routes, has a Bills coach ever heard of them?

4. Move the pocket from time to time!

5. Perhaps a six game suspension for you O-line coach was too long! Just a thought

1) If Tyrod doesn't make it as a QB, he can be a receiver. A heck of a catch at the 2 yard line.

2) Anyone else concerned that Gilmore's pick at the end of the game would be ruled unnecessary roughness. He hit the receiver pretty hard.

3) Missing the running back checkdown passes that help subdue the rush a little bit... This, among other things, is where we really miss Fred Jackson.

4) Go Bills!!!

For an "inventive" OC our game plan is high schoolish. Also where is this "exotic" D? It seems to have dissapeared after the Indy game. I'm greatful for the win but overall performance has been poor.

Glad to see that everyone seems to be seeing the same things. Should have been blitzing more all day. Started to at the end. Mariota looked every bit of the rookie he is today, expecially with the pressure in his face. Should have been dialing it up.

I think Roman is game planning himself to death and failing to adjust quickly enough. I feel like he has the whole first half scripted and doesn't want to deviate regardless of what happens. In the second half, he let Tyrod be Tyrod.

Also, his play calls on our last offensive possession before the kneel down were ugly. On second down, that was the perfect opportunity to throw for the first. Clock was running down to 2 min warning anyways, so inc pass did not matter. Instead, we ran it with cement shoes Dixon for nothing, then tried to throw on third down when they knew it was coming.

Luckily, the defense bailed out Roman after that and today in general. The Titans are not a good team. Our offense needs to get better.

- if they stick with TT have to let him run a lot. He's not accurate enough to play from the pocket....for every good pass he hits, he misses a couple. Not a good enough ratio for an NFL QB....example the good deeper throw to Hogan, negated by short miss to harvin and TD throw to Hogan, which was a low squirter that Hogan saved.

- injury risk when TT runs is over stated (sans the horse collar). He usually doesn't take big hits when he takes off, but in the pocket he gets sacked a lot....has to be one of the most sacked QBs in the league.

- Dixon is terrible. His lack of speed means be can't take advantage of openings. I dont care how good he is on special teams, if karlos and shady aren't coming back for a while re-sign

bryce

- huge props to Marcel on the pick, the highlight will focus on Gilmore and question mariotas decision. But with how quickly Marcel closed on mariota out of now where when mariota was already in throwing motion, not much else he could do.

- defense plays better on the road so far. Because lak of crowd noise when opposing offense is in field net-net actually helps us by allowing the D to communicate better?

Personally, I'd rather the team learn to win these types of games rather than either lose or win easily. Playoff teams are build on crappy wins like this. As I told my wife earlier, this is the game we lost for the past 15 years.

Good point. I also enjoy seeing some of our obvious wildcard competitors -- KC, Ravens -- losing again today. Thank you Jay Cutler and some random McCown brother!

- if they stick with TT have to let him run a lot. He's not accurate enough to play from the pocket....for every good pass he hits, he misses a couple. Not a good enough ratio for an NFL QB....example the good deeper throw to Hogan, negated by short miss to harvin and TD throw to Hogan, which was a low squirter that Hogan saved.

- injury risk when TT runs is over stated (sans the horse collar). He usually doesn't take big hits when he takes off, but in the pocket he gets sacked a lot....has to be one of the most sacked QBs in the league.

- Dixon is terrible. His lack of speed means be can't take advantage of openings. I dont care how good he is on special teams, if karlos and shady aren't coming back for a while re-sign

bryce

- huge props to Marcel on the pick, the highlight will focus on Gilmore and question mariotas decision. But with how quickly Marcel closed on mariota out of now where when mariota was already in throwing motion, not much else he could do.

- defense plays better on the road so far. Because lak of crowd noise when opposing offense is in field net-net actually helps us by allowing the D to communicate better?

I thought Dixon did the best he could with his very limited skill set. Even made an o.k. reception in the middle of the field. But you're right - that skill set is so incredibly limited ... on a couple runs I could just imagine what a better back would have been able to make of them. Bryce is probably the best option right now -- they need the speed.

For an "inventive" OC our game plan is high schoolish. Also where is this "exotic" D? It seems to have dissapeared after the Indy game. I'm greatful for the win but overall performance has been poor.

This is the first I've ever heard Roman called inventive... has he designed plays never seen before? Just because you don't understand the play calling doesn't mean it's wrong. You realize that we had no credible option at RB, we had poor field position often... that makes it real difficult.

Who was offside on the kick-off?

Easley. And it was close, but the replay showed he was just ahead of the kicker in a kind of photo finish shot. As I said, that's the only thing the Line Judge (lined up right on the 35 yard line) has to watch for, so it was an easy call. I will give Easley a pass on this one since Cundiff may have a slightly slower approach to the ball than Gay had, but they better not do it again ...

This game was an ugly win. But good teams gut out these types of wins. These types of wins are often what separates 10-6 teams from 7-9 teams. Without Shady and Karlos and Sammy you knew the offense was going to struggle, the defense played a good game but when the offense leaves you completely exposed it is not always going to be good for any defense.

The D gave up two sustained long drives for field goals and a TD on a short field via turn over, a very good effort esp if you consider that they were just constantly on the field in the first half with short fields for the offense.

The offense looked horrendous in the first half. But in the second half Tyrod won the game with his legs and then a great throw on the last TD drive. It gives you a lot of faith in Taylor that he doesn't always look to run but when teams sleep on him running he will turn to it if nothing else is working. The team needs Sammy and Karlos to get back asap. Also this game showed how limited the O-line is not a good sign.

Exceptions would be Schmidt, Hogan, K. Williams, and Gilmore. Woods made some nice blocks.

The Graham call was ridiculous.

Agree. I remember discussion on this board a few weeks ago that many posters were convinced that with the number of penalties the Bills were inflicting, the refs will be hyper-vigilant in throwing the flag on them. I think the word is out.

Perhaps overlooked, but those push ups worked !!

This game 7 for 62 yards, and two less then Tenn had= they didn't give the game away with stupid mistakes!

Yeah, and other than the Graham hit (which I think was a bad call, and at a minimum completely excusable since he didn't have time to hold up) no personal fouls! That's a big deal for this team...let's hope this was the turning point on all the stupid-aggressive (as opposed to smart aggressive) play.

Can't disagree with that. Easier said than done, sometimes, though,

Yeah but there is far too much hand wringing from fans over one call here or there.

If you play back to...or down to....to your opponents level....the way the Titans did today......it's going to cost you some games eventually.

The thread about Jennings last week with the fake, photoshop job of his foot out of bounds was making people upset at refs days later.......when the reality was that the play happened because of a missed tackle and they really just didn't play well enough as a team to expect to win that day.

If they did battle back to beat the Giants it would have been just as much of a pull-it-out-of-yourass job as today.

Edited by #BADOL

3) I spent the first half angry that they were not calling running plays for Tyrod. Marriota was the 2nd selection of an entire draft, and they let him take off. Tyrod is a 6th round pick who the Ravens chose not to keep. He needs to run to be a good qb and I have said this from day 1. More on Tyrod to come.

9) OK, so I did lose my temper, and I am not proud of this. In the first half, Tyrod had lane after lane to run the football. Now, I'm fine thanks but the reason that we won this football game was because Tyrod DID run the football.

I'm okay with Tyrod running more. But I think once he gets first downs he needs to learn to slide instead of taking hits in order to try and make a move for more yards. If he keeps taking hits like some of the ones he took today I believe it won't be a matter of if but when will he suffer a serious injury that will keep him out for a long period of time. A healthy Tyrod is far more important than 10, 20, even 30 more yards on a play.

Tyrod Taylor, the Black Tim Tebow! This one reminded me of the Broncos late 2011 run. Some horribly unproductive offensive games for 3 quarters, then, all of a sudden, Tebow would do something with his legs to turn things around...

I Was thinking more 1999 Doug Flutie. Bills won a lot of 13-10 type games that year.

Yeah but there is far too much hand wringing from fans over one call here or there.

If you play back to...or down to....to your opponents level....the way the Titans did today......it's going to cost you some games eventually.

The thread about Jennings last week with the fake, photoshop job of his foot out of bounds was making people upset at refs days later.......when the reality was that the play happened because of a missed tackle and they really just didn't play well enough as a team to expect to win today.

If they did battle back to beat the Giants it would have been just as much of a pull-it-out-of-yourass job as today.

Did you see the TV commercial during the game today involving that play? FWIIW, his foot WAS out of bounds!

TT's throws today were a little off....that can happen......Harvin disappeared.....he is not playing like a $6 mil man. (but REX loves him, oh well) the thing that bothered me the most was I saw REX calling the D signals. WHO is being the head coach then??? I have season tickets, but don't watch REX at home, so seeing that on the TV made me aware. Every other D coordinator in the league calls the D........thurman must not have the goods to do that imho. REX must feel he has to do this to live up to his rep a D god. Yes, the D held the line today, but, is statistically way behind the mark the Schwartz did last year with the same folks.

finally, I was glad to see Gilmore finally look like a first round draft choice that turned into a shutdown corner and delivered the BIG play. BTW, the replay on TV showed the call on Gilmore was a good one....he did have a handful of jersey. None the less, Gilmore is extremely valuable now...not so much the first three years mostly........

Yeah, and other than the Graham hit (which I think was a bad call, and at a minimum completely excusable since he didn't have time to hold up) no personal fouls! That's a big deal for this team...let's hope this was the turning point on all the stupid-aggressive (as opposed to smart aggressive) play.

It is a huge deal IMO. The Bills gave the Giants 7 first downs last game, and gave back two TD's.

Lets hope they can keep this up!!

I would like to add that there seemed to be a huge mentality stift with our defense once Tyrod scored the second touchdown. It seemed like they played with a "you're not winning this game against us" mentality. They absolutely stone walled every titans play at the end and in spite of the terrible call against flag against Graham they came right back and won the game with Gilmore's pick. That's the type of mentality this defense needs to play with going forward...

It's really hard to put in words but basically I think we've reached aa critical turning point with our defense and the great game winning plays are only starting

Tyrod really missed a bunch of easy passes that he has to hit if he is going to be a long time starter. But he's a gamer. He never gives up. He's a playmaker. He's not only a good running QB he's better than most RB's in the open field. But he can't miss easy passes like he did. I think that Roman needs to let the reigns out a little more. I think he protects TT too much.

This was a strange game for the defense. They seemed like they didn't play as well as they did. The Titans scored 13 points, the only TD was about a 30 yard drive after a turnover, the Bills offense did nothing for more than a half, they missed some tackles, the calls were against them, and yet they really played well.

Our OL is not good. Henderson is terrible at times. They open no holes in the running game. Hopefully Kromer coming back will help but I doubt it. If we don't succeed and make the playoffs it may be because our OL is not good enough.

Sammy is missed bad. But Roman didn't have TT throwing the ball downfield enough. We had guys open. I don't think Roman had a good game now for two weeks in a row. That said, the QB draw where TT ran wild was a beautifully designed play.

I'm a big Whaley fan but both of the moves made this week backfired. Cundiff was awful as was Denarius Moore, even though he made some yards on returns. I also thought he should have kept Bryce Brown over Boobie who is simply not a reliable RB.

We were lucky the Titans were the Titans. Punting twice inside the 40 was ridiculous. Marriotta missed an easy TD on a bomb 5 yards short. I'm not sure how they could allow TT to have so much room to run on 3rd and 23 or whatever.

Schmidt is an excellent punter.

Darby is very good already. His tackling is almost as impressive as his coverage.

Hughes is pissing me off. He's still pretty good but making too many bad plays for the good plays he makes.

The worst part of the game was that after the debacle against the Giants, all three units came out flat against an inferior team.

What I don't know is whether this is the same old Bills, playing down to their opponents and making too many mistakes to be considered good... OR... this is a new Bills team where anything can happen and they can always come back and win because they have a playmaker at QB who never gives up.

My thoughts:

1. Gilmore could not have been called for a penalty on his interception, because he had a right to go for the ball.

2. Dixon is not a starter, but as a 3rd string RB who contributes so much other than rushing numbers, I have no problem with his play today.

3. Tough to criticize TT much, even on his accuracy - this game came down to two long throws. TT completed his on perfect throw to Hogan in 4th quarter. Mariota grossly underthrew Wright in first half on a sure TD. That was the game - our free agent outperformed the stud top draft pick (at least for this game).

4. Anyone else notice McCown lighting it up for Cleveland? He is better than Cassel, and the best thing that happened to us was him signing with Cleveland. I'm not sure we start TT if McCown was on the roster, and I doubt we win this game or have TT developing now if McCown had signed with the Bills.

Did you see the TV commercial during the game today involving that play? FWIIW, his foot WAS out of bounds!

It didn't TOUCH out of bounds........but regardless, make the tackle and the Bills get a chance to steal a win against a Giants team that let the Bills back into the game.

Tyrod really missed a bunch of easy passes that he has to hit if he is going to be a long time starter. But he's a gamer. He never gives up. He's a playmaker. He's not only a good running QB he's better than most RB's in the open field. But he can't miss easy passes like he did. I think that Roman needs to let the reigns out a little more. I think he protects TT too much.

This was a strange game for the defense. They seemed like they didn't play as well as they did. The Titans scored 13 points, the only TD was about a 30 yard drive after a turnover, the Bills offense did nothing for more than a half, they missed some tackles, the calls were against them, and yet they really played well.

Our OL is not good. Henderson is terrible at times. They open no holes in the running game. Hopefully Kromer coming back will help but I doubt it. If we don't succeed and make the playoffs it may be because our OL is not good enough.

Sammy is missed bad. But Roman didn't have TT throwing the ball downfield enough. We had guys open. I don't think Roman had a good game now for two weeks in a row. That said, the QB draw where TT ran wild was a beautifully designed play.

I'm a big Whaley fan but both of the moves made this week backfired. Cundiff was awful as was Denarius Moore, even though he made some yards on returns. I also thought he should have kept Bryce Brown over Boobie who is simply not a reliable RB.

We were lucky the Titans were the Titans. Punting twice inside the 40 was ridiculous. Marriotta missed an easy TD on a bomb 5 yards short. I'm not sure how they could allow TT to have so much room to run on 3rd and 23 or whatever.

Schmidt is an excellent punter.

Darby is very good already. His tackling is almost as impressive as his coverage.

Hughes is pissing me off. He's still pretty good but making too many bad plays for the good plays he makes.

The worst part of the game was that after the debacle against the Giants, all three units came out flat against an inferior team.

What I don't know is whether this is the same old Bills, playing down to their opponents and making too many mistakes to be considered good... OR... this is a new Bills team where anything can happen and they can always come back and win because they have a playmaker at QB who never gives up.

Good stuff. :beer:

Not sure if it's the coaching staff trying to justify the big contract, if it's the loss of Jarius Wynn, or it's Rex and his scheme, but Hughes struck me as a much more effective player when he was rotated in and out ... last year he played about 50% of defensive snaps, this year it's well over 80%, and the extra 30% has included a lot more of the stupid/bad than the playmaker/good ...

Not sure if it's the coaching staff trying to justify the big contract, if it's the loss of Jarius Wynn, or it's Rex and his scheme, but Hughes struck me as a much more effective player when he was rotated in and out ... last year he played about 50% of defensive snaps, this year it's well over 80%, and the extra 30% has included a lot more of the stupid/bad than the playmaker/good ...

Re: that missed ankle tackle by Hughes on the screen, I think he's getting a bum rap. He came across the field to make that play, and he got there very fast to make an attempted shoestring/ankle tackle. It's a tough tackle anyway. I certainly don't fault him for that play.

Edited by dave mcbride