Fred Jackson: My Toughest Road Trip

YoloinOhio

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, got in a little dig at Whaley. I guess nothing new there, but more specific from what I recall-- e.g., assured him he was safe after hurting his hamstring only to cut him a few weeks later.

in Whaley's mind... He may have felt it wasn't worth it for Fred to go out and play on an injured hammy because he wasn't making the team regardless. Would have been worse if he let him do that and then he would have had a harder time finding a new team if hurt. Edited by YoloinOhio

in Whaley's mind... He may have felt it wasn't worth it for Fred to go out and play on an injured hammy because he wasn't making the team regardless. Would have been worse if he let him do that and then he would have has a harder time finding a new team if hurt.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was miscommunication going on here. Fred heard that his job was safe. Whaley probably meant that your job isn't safe, but the hamstring injury isn't going to factor into it.

Regardless, in hindsight, it could have probably been handled better by the Bills.

By the way, got in a little dig at Whaley. I guess nothing new there, but more specific from what I recall-- e.g., assured him he was safe after hurting his hamstring only to cut him a few weeks later.

That's taking the most Fred-centric view possible.

Early in training camp I'm certain Whaley himself wasn't sure what they were going to do, and probably meant it when he said something innocuous like "you have nothing to worry about."

Circumstances change.

Nice article, happy for Fred he's got somebody like Marshawn to lean on.

I suppose, but it really sounded like a more measured tone to me, and a recognition of the reality that nothing is guaranteed. He'll probably never be buds with Whaley but he may be over the immediate anger he felt.

As a huge Fredex fan, it was an ok read. Not a GREAT READ. Im sure most of you that have left home for College or University have been through the same thing.( without the millions ) Fred Jackson is a class act and loved Buffalo. Whaley is doing a great job other than a few misses. This was a miss just like the Rex hiring,

Go BIlls!

Miss you Fred.

Edited by fredex22

As a huge Fredex fan, it was an ok read. Not a GREAT READ. Im sure most of you that have left home for College or University have been through the same thing.( without the millions ) Fred Jackson is a class act and loved Buffalo. Whaley is doing a great job other than a few misses. This was a miss just like the Rex hiring,

i hear ya. i suppose it should have been obvious to me that they have ghost writers do-up the story, but as someone we've heard speak to the media so many times, it just didnt come off sounding like fred jackson's voice.

That was a very nice article.

I am glad he indicated what happened with Whaley. In my mind, that was him saying "water under the bridge" and showing he understood how the business side worked. It also highlights Fred's determination. Part of me thinks he could have willed himself to play through a hamstring injury and make the team, if that is what it would have taken.

Great article by just a class act and a warrior. Miss ya Fred! I understand the front office letting him go, I think with Karlos and Shady they felt Fred's role would be so diminished he wouldn't be happy. I also think they wanted a younger guy in that 3rd role.

However, I would rather they been open to Fred about staying at a reduced role and renegotiating his contract. He deserved to have that choice.

Fred "finally got a firsthand look" at how the football works? Really. I seem to recall before landing a 9 year gig with the Bills he bounced around quite a bit. All over the place actually. Fred you had 9 years as a Bill, and you were a good guy and a nice player but never anything more. You never made a Pro Bowl, despite the fact that's actually fairly easy to do. Not many players on our wall of fame who never even made a pro bowl, but you will be there.

What was Whaley to do, play you over Karlos Williams? You would not have been happy as a third stringer (which actually is what you are in Seattle) here. Name me the NFL GM that would choose you over Williams.

And spare us the praise of Saint Marshawn. If he was your little brother and shadow here in Buffalo, where were you when he was running down pedestrians in downtown Buffalo and then running away like the little B word he is. Or all the other incidents and trouble he caused here. Or his weapons violation/arrest in Los Angeles. Yes Marshawn is just a wonderful human being, it's Whaley who is the bad guy. Is that what you are trying to sell us Freddie? No reasonable person should buy your BS.

Fred "finally got a firsthand look" at how the football works? Really. I seem to recall before landing a 9 year gig with the Bills he bounced around quite a bit. All over the place actually. Fred you had 9 years as a Bill, and you were a good guy and a nice player but never anything more. You never made a Pro Bowl, despite the fact that's actually fairly easy to do. Not many players on our wall of fame who never even made a pro bowl, but you will be there.

What was Whaley to do, play you over Karlos Williams? You would not have been happy as a third stringer (which actually is what you are in Seattle) here. Name me the NFL GM that would choose you over Williams.

And spare us the praise of Saint Marshawn. If he was your little brother and shadow here in Buffalo, where were you when he was running down pedestrians in downtown Buffalo and then running away like the little B word he is. Or all the other incidents and trouble he caused here. Or his weapons violation/arrest in Los Angeles. Yes Marshawn is just a wonderful human being, it's Whaley who is the bad guy. Is that what you are trying to sell us Freddie? No reasonable person should buy your BS.

Bounced around where? He started his NFL career in Buffalo.

Referring to is days in various minor league football venues etc. Fred was all over the place after college, until finally ending up with Bills.

He played for one team in the Indoor League and for one team in Europe ... over 3 years ... then joined the Bills. That's not bouncing. It's advancing.

He played for one team in the Indoor League and for one team in Europe ... over 3 years ... then joined the Bills. That's not bouncing. It's advancing.

Well hey, I guess playing for the Bills all those years, and seeing EVERY year players of all types and abilities come and go, that the harsh reality of how the NFL and all pro sports leagues works should not have come as such a surprise to Mr Jackson. Shock to him actually that a talented rookie RB is chosen over a 34 year old RB who never made the Pro Bowl. Whaley saw him as nothing more than third on the RB depth chart, and apparently Seattle agrees.

I wear my Freddy jersey every weekend for the game. It is the first and only jersey I have ever owned, and I've been a Bills fan since I was little, and actually saw OJ simpson play (although I was too young to remember).

the Fred jersey will always be worn at the ralph. He's a wall of famer. Hope that happens when he retires.

Well hey, I guess playing for the Bills all those years, and seeing EVERY year players of all types and abilities come and go, that the harsh reality of how the NFL and all pro sports leagues works should not have come as such a surprise to Mr Jackson. Shock to him actually that a talented rookie RB is chosen over a 34 year old RB who never made the Pro Bowl. Whaley saw him as nothing more than third on the RB depth chart, and apparently Seattle agrees.

Tell us how you really feel.

I presume you also think that Boobie Dixon -- our starting RB this week! -- is better than Jackson.

Fred has been proving everyone wrong about him since high school. You would have thought the Bills would have learned that by now. Both on and off the field, Freddy has gone above and beyond all expectations. It is amazing how quickly people forget.

He continues to do that now. Even in his limited role so far in Seattle, his numbers have been good and seemed to have an extra quickness to his step. He was hurt last week when some huge lineman fell on the back of his leg. And he still MIGHT play this weekend.... As McCoy and Williams sit on our bench, watch Freddy and be enlightened.

Tell us how you really feel.

Okay this is how I really feel - because you asked. Fred gives us a flattering portrayal of Marshan Lynch, while trashing Doug Whaley. So I will put it out there for any and all fathers out there; who would you rather have your sons emulate, Doug Whaley or Lynch? Sounds like Buffalo hero Fred Jackson chooses gangsta Lynch, and that's sad. Good riddance Fred, I hope you and your little brother Marshawn won't run down any pedestrians in Seattle.

BTW Freddie, what did you think of little brother Marshawn accusing his head coach of sacrificing the SuperBowl in order to make Wilson the hero, instead of him. Real stand up guy, right Freddie. You ought to be ashamed.

Fred has been proving everyone wrong about him since high school. You would have thought the Bills would have learned that by now. Both on and off the field, Freddy has gone above and beyond all expectations. It is amazing how quickly people forget.

He continues to do that now. Even in his limited role so far in Seattle, his numbers have been good and seemed to have an extra quickness to his step. He was hurt last week when some huge lineman fell on the back of his leg. And he still MIGHT play this weekend.... As McCoy and Williams sit on our bench, watch Freddy and be enlightened.

Freddy is playing a bit role in Seatlle. Maybe 4-5 touches a game. Would expect his numbers to look decent with a limited role where he is not the go to back.

Freddy is playing a bit role in Seatlle. Maybe 4-5 touches a game. Would expect his numbers to look decent with a limited role where he is not the go to back.

But Whaley is the bad guy for cutting a guy with a substantial salary who would play a bit role with Buffalo. BTW, Seattle is paying Fred less than one third of his Buffalo salary. But according to bitter Fred, Marshawn is the hero, Whaley the heel. Right

Go BIlls!

Miss you Fred.

You're comparing going to college leaving your brothers/sisters/parents behind for a party/college to a grown man leaving his kids 3,000 miles away?!?! I'm assuming you don't have children... I have a hard time leaving my daughter when I go to work every day... I'm not much for posting but I've been reading this site daily for years!... you're ignorance about what he's saying kinda pisses me off... an ok read???? This guy just poured his heart out online and you can't appreciate that? I really hope you don't have children

That's taking the most Fred-centric view possible.

Early in training camp I'm certain Whaley himself wasn't sure what they were going to do, and probably meant it when he said something innocuous like "you have nothing to worry about."

Circumstances change.

Nice article, happy for Fred he's got somebody like Marshawn to lean on.

I'd even venture Whaley knows Fred needs no fire lit under him, and they know well what he offers.... Yea he probably lied but his job isn't to be honest. No reason to tell Fred he's on the bubble there. Nothing good happens.