Ron Darby = Butch Byrd

montanafan

When Ron Darby was having a tough time in pre-season, there was a lot of concern on this board with the McKelvin injury, I was reminded of Butch Byrd's rookie season in 1964. (yeah I am that old) Byrd was a rookie (4th round draft choice) and he got toasted all preseason, but Lou Saban kept playing him back there all preseason- he started that year, did a great job and Buffalo won their first championship, in part because of strong secondary play with Byrd, George Saimes, Hagwood Clark, etc.

I hope Darby turns out the same way.

When Ron Darby was having a tough time in pre-season, there was a lot of concern on this board with the McKelvin injury, I was reminded of Butch Byrd's rookie season in 1964. (yeah I am that old) Byrd was a rookie (4th round draft choice) and he got toasted all preseason, but Lou Saban kept playing him back there all preseason- he started that year, did a great job and Buffalo won their first championship, in part because of strong secondary play with Byrd, George Saimes, Hagwood Clark, etc.

I'm old too and, god, that was a great defense. I still think Saimes and Byrd are two of the all-time great Bills.

interesting comparison. I'm not 'too'old', just very old and remember the '64 DROY well. A linebacker playing CB. Still too early for that great comparison, but I'll be keeping my eyes on it going forward. Darby is playing sound, great Corner!

I'm old too and, god, that was a great defense. I still think Saimes and Byrd are two of the all-time great Bills.

The best of the best was Tom Sestak. I don't consider myself old while others do. I consider myself excessively mature from an age standpoint! :thumbsup:

Awesome post, I too remember Butch as a rookie, one of the all time greats. And one hell of a guy!

The best of the best was Tom Sestak. I don't consider myself old while others do. I consider myself excessively mature from an age standpoint! :thumbsup:

17th round draft choice!

i love when the "old guys" post! so refreshing.. i thought butch byrd and booker edgerson were the two best corners at the time. as i recall, byrd was shaky in his first preseason game(s). did have a few missteps as a rookie.. but solid.. good at returning punts also.hopefully this will be a "glib free" thread.

Edited by dwight in philly

Rodak says drafting Darby was a bad move.

Well, from a certain perspective it was. From the perspective of a NewEngland P*A*T*S* fan who happens to be forced to cover the events of a team he despises. Most others don't see it that way though.

Tony Green and Robert James were a very good duo at CB a little later on.

Well, from a certain perspective it was. From the perspective of a NewEngland P*A*T*S* fan who happens to be forced to cover the events of a team he despises. Most others don't see it that way though.

Greene was a safety but yes, both were great

actually greene played corner too. not to nitpick.. but if memory serves me, he was either switched from safety to corner. or vice-versa. ,

Corner to safety.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Corner to safety.

GO BILLS!!!

ok.. i think that is when he seemed to intercept passes at an incredible rate.. at safety. many long INT run backs.. my mind is probably gone, but didnt he return an INT 103 yards against miami? ? maybe called back? not sure.

ok.. i think that is when he seemed to intercept passes at an incredible rate.. at safety. many long INT run backs.. my mind is probably gone, but didnt he return an INT 103 yards against miami? ? maybe called back? not sure.

I still get agita even thinking about that play. Those that didn't live it probably can't relate to our Miami rivalry when we went 0 for the 70s against that team. It's much like NE's**** recent dominance against us, but with ZERO wins to show for it.

The Greene interception you recall was made while he was playing free safety. He intercepted that ball eight yards deep in his own end zone and proceeded to return it 108 yards for a TD. No flag was thrown until he had reached the opposite endzone and BAM!, there it lay, a phantom phuck-you from the football gods.

I'd like to one day see him join Robert James on the Wall of Fame. He was one of the best players, regardless of position, to ever lace 'em up for us.

GO BILLS!!!

i love when the "old guys" post! so refreshing.. i thought butch byrd and booker edgerson were the two best corners at the time. as i recall, byrd was shaky in his first preseason game(s). did have a few missteps as a rookie.. but solid.. good at returning punts also.hopefully this will be a "glib free" thread.

Can't you get it straight? I'm not old----I'm excessively mature!!! OJ is the best runner the Bills have had. But Cookie Gilchrist was one of the best runners during his short era. He was a freight train as a runner and a great blocker.

During that era NFL teams were regionally shown on TV. Buffalo got the Cleveland games. I watched a lot of Jim Brown's extraordinary perfromances I consider Jim Brown to be the best player in the history of the game. He was unbelievable! I put OJ right behind him as a back.

The stupidest (irrational) coaching blunder I have witnessed is the HC, John Roach, using OJ as a decoy. When Lou Saban took over the first thing he did was upgrade the OL and highlight OJ as a runner.

I'm glad Lou Saban was belatedly put on the Wall of Fame and his family was able to witness the induction.. (I'm not criticizing Ralph Wilson because I understand why he didn't want him on the Wall while he was alive. Lou quit on him twice. Ralph knew that Saban would be voted in after he passed. So he wasn't against the eventual induction. The owner was old school with respect to the issue of loyalty so his position was very understandable and to be respected.)

When I was 8 or 9 years old Butch Byrd was at the front door talking to my father (my older sister babysat for them). I arrived to show them the new magic trick/physics experiment I had learned - if you put equal pressure on all sides of an egg it will not break. Apparently, my pressure was less than equal... and my egg exploded all over Mr. Byrd's nice brown suit like I had shot him with a Chicken Gun! I am still alive to tell the story. He is a fine human being.

Can't you get it straight? I'm not old----I'm excessively mature!!! OJ is the best runner the Bills have had. But Cookie Gilchrist was one of the best runners during his short era. He was a freight train as a runner and a great blocker.

During that era NFL teams were regionally shown on TV. Buffalo got the Cleveland games. I watched a lot of Jim Brown's extraordinary perfromances I consider Jim Brown to be the best player in the history of the game. He was unbelievable! I put OJ right behind him as a back.

The stupidest (irrational) coaching blunder I have witnessed is the HC, John Roach, using OJ as a decoy. When Lou Saban took over the first thing he did was upgrade the OL and highlight OJ as a runner.

I'm glad Lou Saban was belatedly put on the Wall of Fame and his family was able to witness the induction.. (I'm not criticizing Ralph Wilson because I understand why he didn't want him on the Wall while he was alive. Lou quit on him twice. Ralph knew that Saban would be voted in after he passed. So he wasn't against the eventual induction. The owner was old school with respect to the issue of loyalty so his position was very understandable and to be respected.)

LOL!.. il bet i am older! anyway,.. it was tough living thru the rauch years, followed by harvey johnson.

I still get agita even thinking about that play. Those that didn't live it probably can't relate to our Miami rivalry when we went 0 for the 70s against that team. It's much like NE's**** recent dominance against us, but with ZERO wins to show for it.

The Greene interception you recall was made while he was playing free safety. He intercepted that ball eight yards deep in his own end zone and proceeded to return it 108 yards for a TD. No flag was thrown until he had reached the opposite endzone and BAM!, there it lay, a phantom phuck-you from the football gods.

I'd like to one day see him join Robert James on the Wall of Fame. He was one of the best players, regardless of position, to ever lace 'em up for us.

GO BILLS!!!

brutal .. just absolutely brutal , both the call and living thru the 70's playing miami.

went to one of those pre-season games and came home thinking Byrd and Gogolak should be cut (Pete must have missed a field goal) Thank goodness our judgments aren't based on one game. I like the idea that he was a cornerback in a linebacker's body. He was great to watch. I think the other CB was Charley "Pork Chop" Warner. And....the defensive line of Tom Day, Tom Sestack, Jim Dunaway and Ron McDole was pretty intimidating as weas the linebacking corps of Tracey, Jacobs and Stratton. That was a terrific defense. Byrd is definitely one of the most outstanding Bills.

Darby is terrific and he keeps reminding folks of Byrd he is in for a great career!

went to one of those pre-season games and came home thinking Byrd and Gogolak should be cut (Pete must have missed a field goal) Thank goodness our judgments aren't based on one game. I like the idea that he was a cornerback in a linebacker's body. He was great to watch. I think the other CB was Charley "Pork Chop" Warner. And....the defensive line of Tom Day, Tom Sestack, Jim Dunaway and Ron McDole was pretty intimidating as weas the linebacking corps of Tracey, Jacobs and Stratton. That was a terrific defense. Byrd is definitely one of the most outstanding Bills.

Darby is terrific and he keeps reminding folks of Byrd he is in for a great career!

warner did play corner too.. but always liked his kickoff return skills.. was a waiver pick up from the chiefs i believe

Greene and James! Very true!!

Butch Byrd's Utica Club commercial.

Worst ever.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I remember getting all the Browns games on WBEN TV, Brown as fun to watch.

warner did play corner too.. but always liked his kickoff return skills.. was a waiver pick up from the chiefs i believe

Yeah Charlie Warner played and I think another guy who played a lot in the secondary that year was Gene Sykes. I can't remember the exact statistic, maybe someone can help me, but pretty sure during the 64-65 run the Bills went like 13 games in a row without allowing a running touchdown.

When Butch Byrd was traded in the late sixties, Larry Felser wrote a great article about him the day after he was traded. He talked about Butch Byrd's love of Buffalo and how it was reciprocated by Bills fans. In a sense, Byrd was the Fred Jackson of the sixties. Felser finished his column that day as follows:

"They say Butch Byrd handled the news of his trade with class. It figures."

LOL!.. il bet i am older! anyway,.. it was tough living thru the rauch years, followed by harvey johnson.

brutal .. just absolutely brutal , both the call and living thru the 70's playing miami.

I watched that play (Greene 108 Int) in Rojek's Bowling Alley in North Tonawanda; never seen a crowd go wild then go crazy like that play.

Back in the 1060's, most players all had class and character, most were blue collar guys who played football for a living in the fall. Marty Schottenheimer played the card game Uecker at one of the local Taverns in Tonawanda, my father often played against him in tournaments. The players were very outgoing and respected the Buffalo area taking pride playing for the Bills.

Back in the 1060's, most players all had class and character, most were blue collar guys who played football for a living in the fall. Marty Schottenheimer played the card game Uecker at one of the local Taverns in Tonawanda, my father often played against him in tournaments. The players were very outgoing and respected the Buffalo area taking pride playing for the Bills.

Yeah, but then the battle of Hastings broke out and rules changes were implemented. It just hasn't been the same since archers were banned from the sidelines.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, but then the battle of Hastings broke out and rules changes were implemented. It just hasn't been the same since archers were banned from the sidelines.

GO BILLS!!!

Ha! Yeah, and their Nick Names were legit: the Destryoer, the Hun, the Great!

Hagood played CB, Saimes & Janik were S's. What a team!

Ha! Yeah, and their Nick Names were legit: the Destryoer, the Hun, the Great!

Hagood played CB, Saimes & Janik were S's. What a team!

Slight quibble, but Clarke was paired with Saimes at safety starting in '65. Byrd and Edgerson played CB on the '64 and '65 teams. Janik didn't crack the lineup until '66 when he replaced Edgerson at CB. I don't think Janik ever played safety and I'm pretty sure Clarke never played CB.

I understand how all those players from teams so long ago seem to blend together over time, though.

GO BILLS!!!