Ron Darby = Butch Byrd

montanafan

When Ron Darby was having a tough time in pre-season, there was a lot of concern on this board with the McKelvin injury, I was reminded of Butch Byrd's rookie season in 1964. (yeah I am that old) Byrd was a rookie (4th round draft choice) and he got toasted all preseason, but Lou Saban kept playing him back there all preseason- he started that year, did a great job and Buffalo won their first championship, in part because of strong secondary play with Byrd, George Saimes, Hagwood Clark, etc.

I hope Darby turns out the same way.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Ron Darby was having a tough time in pre-season, there was a lot of concern on this board with the McKelvin injury, I was reminded of Butch Byrd's rookie season in 1964. (yeah I am that old) Byrd was a rookie (4th round draft choice) and he got toasted all preseason, but Lou Saban kept playing him back there all preseason- he started that year, did a great job and Buffalo won their first championship, in part because of strong secondary play with Byrd, George Saimes, Hagwood Clark, etc.

I'm old too and, god, that was a great defense. I still think Saimes and Byrd are two of the all-time great Bills.

interesting comparison. I'm not 'too'old', just very old and remember the '64 DROY well. A linebacker playing CB. Still too early for that great comparison, but I'll be keeping my eyes on it going forward. Darby is playing sound, great Corner!

I'm old too and, god, that was a great defense. I still think Saimes and Byrd are two of the all-time great Bills.

The best of the best was Tom Sestak. I don't consider myself old while others do. I consider myself excessively mature from an age standpoint! :thumbsup:

Awesome post, I too remember Butch as a rookie, one of the all time greats. And one hell of a guy!

The best of the best was Tom Sestak. I don't consider myself old while others do. I consider myself excessively mature from an age standpoint! :thumbsup:

17th round draft choice!

i love when the "old guys" post! so refreshing.. i thought butch byrd and booker edgerson were the two best corners at the time. as i recall, byrd was shaky in his first preseason game(s). did have a few missteps as a rookie.. but solid.. good at returning punts also.hopefully this will be a "glib free" thread.

Edited by dwight in philly

Rodak says drafting Darby was a bad move.

Well, from a certain perspective it was. From the perspective of a NewEngland P*A*T*S* fan who happens to be forced to cover the events of a team he despises. Most others don't see it that way though.

Tony Green and Robert James were a very good duo at CB a little later on.

Well, from a certain perspective it was. From the perspective of a NewEngland P*A*T*S* fan who happens to be forced to cover the events of a team he despises. Most others don't see it that way though.

Tony Green and Robert James were a very good duo at CB a little later on.

Greene was a safety but yes, both were great

actually greene played corner too. not to nitpick.. but if memory serves me, he was either switched from safety to corner. or vice-versa. ,

Corner to safety.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Corner to safety.

GO BILLS!!!

ok.. i think that is when he seemed to intercept passes at an incredible rate.. at safety. many long INT run backs.. my mind is probably gone, but didnt he return an INT 103 yards against miami? ? maybe called back? not sure.

Edited by dwight in philly