10 pushups? Rex, are you kidding me?

@buffalobills

Rex: We'll have the team do 10 push-ups or so at practice when a penalty is called to show it impacts everyone.

OK, I get the point of showing it impacts everyone. But 10 pushups? Seriously? For pro football players? Surely these guys can toss off 10 pushups like nothing.

How about 1 pushup - per penalized yard? Maybe 183 pushups would get their attention.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@buffalobills

Rex: We'll have the team do 10 push-ups or so at practice when a penalty is called to show it impacts everyone.

OK, I get the point of showing it impacts everyone. But 10 pushups? Seriously? For pro football players? Surely these guys can toss off 10 pushups like nothing.

How about 1 pushup - per penalized yard? Maybe 183 pushups would get their attention.

If it's 10 pushups per penalty that's 170 pushups for the last game.

Watch: Rex Talks About Cutting Down the Penalties (1:48)
The Bills head coach talks about his message to the players about the penalties, and how to cut down on them.

@SalSports

On Bills doing push-ups for penalties. I've seen "that's HS stuff and won't work." Maybe, maybe not. But point isn't to punish or hurt...

...The point of push-ups after penalty is to show they are important and coaches will stop practice and waste time to deal with them.

Again, might work might not. But you hope eventually message is understood by showing it's important enough to stop practice & deal with it.

Watch: Rex Talks About Cutting Down the Penalties (1:48)

@SalSports

On Bills doing push-ups for penalties. I've seen "that's HS stuff and won't work." Maybe, maybe not. But point isn't to punish or hurt...

...The point of push-ups after penalty is to show they are important and coaches will stop practice and waste time to deal with them.

Again, might work might not. But you hope eventually message is understood by showing it's important enough to stop practice & deal with it.

Agreed - it's not about the physical penalty exerted on your body, it's about causing an interruption which reinforces mentally that something bad was done

When practices were sloppy I used to make basketball teams I coached stop and do just a single pushup every time a simple layup was missed. After a few times you bettter believe there was more concentration on those layups. Not because doing a pushup was hard, but because it was a pain in the ass to have to keep being interrupted to do them

Edited by stevewin

You might want to sit their asses down. The same guys get the same penalties over and over and are a detriment if they can't control it. Having them sit is a clear message. Some will say the back-up will cause a loss in performance, but I think the sitting for a few plays does a couple of things:

1. Gives the player a chance to cool down

2. Gives the coach a chance to "counsel" his ass

3. Gives the team the message that penalties have consequences.

4. Gives the back-up a chance to prove his capability as a starter.

I remember when my son played football at Aquinas in Rochester and he made a mistake during the game and could hear the coach say his name. He stood at the center of the field for a few seconds before coming to the sideline. I asked him why he was standing there....he said he knew how pissed off the coach was and was giving thought to going to the other team's sideline. He stopped making that mistake after being grilled by the coach.

Make it clear that penalties have consequences even in the press. Boobie Dixon was called out early last spring by RR for fumbling (god forbid it shows up again against the Titans) and he got better. Make it clear that stupid penalties (and a great number of ours were stupid penalties) aren't going to be tolerated.

Rex talks big and carries himself like a big shot.

That's fun in the spring and summer, but there are a ton of fans and media league wide that are just waiting for him to flop so they can pile on. Stuff like this will be read and presented in the worst possible light for him.

Unless he wins here.