10 pushups? Rex, are you kidding me?

Watch: Rex Talks About Cutting Down the Penalties (1:48)

@SalSports

On Bills doing push-ups for penalties. I've seen "that's HS stuff and won't work." Maybe, maybe not. But point isn't to punish or hurt...

...The point of push-ups after penalty is to show they are important and coaches will stop practice and waste time to deal with them.

Again, might work might not. But you hope eventually message is understood by showing it's important enough to stop practice & deal with it.

When a player has to stand up in front of the team and say I am the reason for "push ups". it does make a difference. No one wants to be that guy.

The military uses this tool commonly for team building.

The other game day method is just turn the other cheek. It might be one of the hardest thing to do. But if the team sees you getting messed with and you just line up again. One of your guys will get a chance to bury that guy legally at some point.

Team game for sure. No player should be bigger then the team, IMHO..

Rex talks big and carries himself like a big shot.

That's fun in the spring and summer, but there are a ton of fans and media league wide that are just waiting for him to flop so they can pile on. Stuff like this will be read and presented in the worst possible light for him.

Unless he wins here.

You are right. The Media will make fun of it. But it seems they are hell bent on that anyways.

Agreed - it's not about the physical penalty exerted on your body, it's about causing an interruption which reinforces mentally that something bad was done

When practices were sloppy I used to make basketball teams I coached stop and do just a single pushup every time a simple layup was missed. After a few times you bettter believe there was more concentration on those layups. Not because doing a pushup was hard, but because it was a pain in the ass to have to keep being interrupted to do them

This.

So disgusting to see a bunch of nobodys here criticize a coach who took his team to the AFC championship game twice in the last 6 years and this comes ONLY AFTER he lost against two teams that won a combined total of 6 Super Bowls in the last 15 years with the same head coach and elite QB they still currently have. Fair-weather supporters that get behind the coach and team when they win and act like its the end of the world when they lose against elite teams. Totally absurd.

Hey! I have done my fair share of push ups.Been called out for stupid.

I am fine with Rex.

He's the Coach.

Go Bills!!

Not really. Still always in the bottom half in penalized. His Jets and Ravens (DC) have had 20 penalty games.

Penalties in practice (and subsequent pushups) are meaningless.

Why not just fine them per penalty in games? Teams can fine players, no?

Jerry hughes. Millionaire times tens.

what are you talking about.

Being embarrassed in front of the team is much worse. Think on this one Weo. ; )

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say you make the whole team, offense, defense and ST do the 10 push ups. Let the players police each other. That will change fast.

I think thats what he meant. and yes it does work in my exp.

I hope they took away dessert too!

It sounds silly, but you have to do SOMETHING, and it couldn't hurt. Make them accountable. It's the hot headed personal fouls that bother me the most, but they ALL make you a little crazy!

:thumbsup:

nailed it!

if only , right!!

worked with my Kids, lol. But its gotta be done fairly with expectations clearly defined.

any ways i am cool with Rex whipping these boys into thinkin' right all the time.

I think thats what he meant. and yes it does work in my exp.

:thumbsup:

nailed it!

if only , right!!

worked with my Kids, lol. But its gotta be done fairly with expectations clearly defined.

any ways i am cool with Rex whipping these boys into thinkin' right all the time.

It certainly fixed me

Seriously? The CBA covers stuff like this?

Punishment for on field conduct? Yeeeeaaaa buddy.

Silly stuff gets ignored so coaches have some leeway but you better believe that topics a major piece of the cha.

Edited by NoSaint

Thanks my friend it was a great ride-21 years in all.

I feel strongly that I should be saying Thanks. So I will.

Thank You, billsfan_34. I appreciate your service.

And glad to have you with us on deck here at TBD!

Well then I amend my previous statement to "Hughes will have this defense jacked by the bye week"

Not a bad thing? Right?

Why is this looked at negatively?

just a guess, but maybe b/c 10 pushups is like (barely) a slap on the wrist. The only punitive measure which will work is to sit the offender's ass down until he gets the message. Playing time is the gold standard; take that away and it's a carrot/stick approach.

I feel strongly that I should be saying Thanks. So I will.

Thank You, billsfan_34. I appreciate your service.

And glad to have you with us on deck here at TBD!

We cant do it without great people supporting us.

Not a bad thing? Right?

damn straight. Not bad at all !

just a guess, but maybe b/c 10 pushups is like (barely) a slap on the wrist. The only punitive measure which will work is to sit the offender's ass down until he gets the message. Playing time is the gold standard; take that away and it's a carrot/stick approach.

it isn't a punitive measure. It's to show penalties are important enough to interrupt practice.

Its the whole team. stop the practice and look at the asshat. then get down to give Rex 10.

Methinks it might work.

But as far as game day goes? i would have set Hughes and Brown. One to settle them, and two for discipline showing the Team who is most important

Pretty sure the CBA wouldn't allow this. They can't just fine them for whatever they want.

(xv) Conduct detrimental to Club—maximum fine of an amount equal to one week’s salary and/or suspension without pay for a period not to exceed four (4) weeks.

@buffalobills

Rex: We'll have the team do 10 push-ups or so at practice when a penalty is called to show it impacts everyone.

OK, I get the point of showing it impacts everyone. But 10 pushups? Seriously? For pro football players? Surely these guys can toss off 10 pushups like nothing.

T.O. now there was a guy who could toss-off like no one.