Amateur Hour With this Coaching Staff

K-9

Another coaching staff that thinks the best solution on 4th and inches is to bring out your offense and try and get the defense to take an undisciplined encroachment. I'm sorry, but this is the least imaginative, most predictable thing a coach can do. Once an extra 5 seconds goes by than a normal snap, the whole stadium knows its not going to be snapped. Unless you do a total fake-out and actually hike the ball with a second remaining on the game clock, just remove this crap altogether.

Serves them right that they got false start on that play, too.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After the Patriots and Giants debacles I'm convinced we are merely pretenders, yet again, and we will not be going to the playoffs for a 16th year.

I have no explanation for this franchise but my Sundays are much free-er the rest of this football season. I'll watch them but I won't go out of my way if there are better things I can be doing. I lost all faith again.

Hopefully the light switch comes on and the 2nd half of the season will be salvageable

Edited by ddaryl

Your right and Rex wont get 3 years. Not even close. If we were in rebuild then maybe, but no way, not with this roster. His press conference yesterday was grose. The team has zero focus and discipline-the hallmark of a Rex Ryan team.

Im on your side. I HATED the hire

have to wonder in anyone in Pegulas inner circle ever questioned giving Ryan a 5 year fully guaranteed contract. despite coming to Buffalo with a sub .500 winning record, and his bombastic persona. I'll say this apparently the bigmouth can sell his promises, unless he changes his philosophy he will fail on his " last NFL team" I hated his big trap in new jersey, because he wasn't the Bills coach. Now that he is he's starting to remind me of a closer on a car purchase at a dealership Full of crap.

They probably can only afford three more losses on the year and still expect a post season. Since the jets are looking tough, the pats, Chiefs, Dallas and bengals are are still out there, they really couldn't afford dropping one to the Giants. My take on the team is they are tracking toward 9-7 and another playoff miss.

6-10

Rex is a fabulous salesman whose infectious personality has allowed him to sell his crap to the media, to his players, to the fans of the team he coaches and to the owner who signs his paycheck. He's been the ultimate salesman for years and his charade continues here in Buffalo. Get used to it because "he is who he is"

Ok...everyone remember the rule of thumb regarding losses.

Sunday: Fire everyone and Gilmore sucks

Monday: Fire everyone and Rex sucks

Tuesday: Fire everyone and bash Roman

Wednesday: I don't think we can beat Tenn.

Thursday: This is a very winnable game

Friday: I think we turn it around and go on a run

Saturday: Predictions Bills 50 Titans -2

It's a long season. We're 2-1 in the AFC. We weren't going to run the table after Miami and I'll take the loss against an NFC opponent.

Edited by It's in My Blood

Your right and Rex wont get 3 years. Not even close. If we were in rebuild then maybe, but no way, not with this roster. His press conference yesterday was grose. The team has zero focus and discipline-the hallmark of a Rex Ryan team.

Im on your side. I HATED the hire

I thought Buffalo was the perfect venue for Rex and that he would learn from his mistakes in NYC.

Instead Rex has upped the ante is more mouthy and defiant as ever.

Edited by Boo Radley Boston

All show, no go. Whatever you want to call it, but that sums up Ryan so far as a head coach in the NFL. All his false bravado bull **** with the Jets, and proclaiming that the Bills would go to the playoffs earlier this season and he has yet to back any of it up on the field. The Bills are 2-2, not 0-4 so no reason to string him up just yet. And it is all new coaches, new system, blah blah blah ... you know the same excuses as every season it seems. But the facts are that they beat 2 bad teams and lost badly to a good team and a mediocre team due to bad play and worse coaching. If the Bills are to make the playoffs this season, and they certainly still could, Ryan needs to get his head out of his ass, get his team under control, and start coaching this team instead of making cute Tops and Dunn Tire commercials.

Playoffs could happen.

Rex teams are always on the verge of either sadness or euphoria. Rex likes the drama.

I though this was a big opportunity for Woods today to show why he deserves more targets.

Jayron Hosley Island: population Robert Woods.

That's there's a good post. Strong opinion; witty commentary. I like it.

Unfortunately, I don't like what it describes, but I have to agree. I didn't even know "Jayron Hosley's" name until you mentioned it. It must be a very peaceful, uneventful place to visit!

Jets fans went through the exact same BS.

Rex is all hat and no cowboy.

Except for the time Sanchez sent the pats home and went to the title game. Nice omission.

Guess the guy whining about losing Roman can settle down now. Our all star coaches week to week rollercoaster continues.

Can't disagree with you.

As I mentioned in another thread I was initially all for the Rex Ryan hire but after the New England debacle I began to second guess it and after this game I'm doing the same thing. No discipline and our defense hasn't been close to the dominant defense it was last year..... people killed Marrone all offseason and even during the season last year, but at this point I'd take him over Rex.

Imo take Marrone is either an exaggeration or just dumb!

Coaching is the problem.

17 penalties? 15 yarder, backed up with another 15 yarder, with Rex on the field being hauled off by an assistant?

This **** is top down.

Our head coach is a top 5 defensive co-ordinator. He's a bottom 10 head coach.

Agree on the top down for discipline and penalties.

I couldn't agree more! Rex thinks that he has to reinvent the wheel! Just line up and play football, we got the better athletes than most teams. Man, this guy sure is full of himself!

Agreed. Don't over coach. An example, would be Seattle giving away the Championship to the Pats **

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Ryan just yet, its only 4 games, but there are a lot of red flags and we all get the look and feel of something familiar. We've been here before. The fundamental problem I see in the two losses is that Belichik and Coughlin did nothing unusual or unexpected on either offense or defense. And yet this Bills team seemed totally unprepared. How is this possible?

And what coach tolerates all this undisciplined play? And then more or less praises them in the post game press conference. It's almost like Ryan lives in some alternative reality completely different that what everyone else is experiencing. I see a defense playing completely out of control, undisciplined, stupid football giving up way too many yards and points to be considered 'great' and he sees a lot of heart and determination.

On the defensive side of the ball this team is an overhyped mess. A top defense in the mind of their head coach and some of the players. Some of the players know this, some might deny it, others might believe their own BS still. But there's a major problem here. The talent is there, the smarts are lacking and it seems to start with the head coach and trickle down from there. The vets on the field, Kyle and Mario Williams, and maybe Corey Graham need to step up and settle the hot-heads down.

Against both New England and New York the offense scored in the 4th to make it a one score game and both times the defense immediately just rolled over on the next drive and gave up an easy score in just a few plays. Great defenses make those stops even against great offenses.

Ryan needs to spend less time shooting his mouth off and instead do some critical evaluation of himself and his team then make the necessary changes to get things right. Looking to next week against the Titans you'd expect a 'W' but who knows which team will show up. The one totally prepared to defeat a lesser opponent or the one playing like a bunch of idiots led by a buffoon head coach who can't keep his mouth shut?

Looks like another year of pretending vs. contending with this group.

Offensively, I don't understand how Roman can go from the play designs of a week ago to seemingly having little clue this afternoon. I'm sure the tape review will show how much we missed Sammy and Shady in the passing game and I can cut him some slack for that, but that two minute offense to end the first half was beyond comprehension. NOBODY on the field or sideline had any idea of what they wanted to do and that worries me greatly moving forward. What were they doing on the sideline while the defense was on the field before getting the ball back? No excuse for that display of two minute offense. None.

Defensively, we once again lost our composure at critical times and it worries me that Rex seemed unperturbed with it in his presser. I can only hope he supported them publicly but will rip them all a new one in the film room. Brady did indeed provide a blue print and good QBs like Manning can execute the kind of offense that neutralizes our pass rush and forces our LBs to cover.

I won't say anything about the atrocious tackling all day, other than when your team scores a momentum changing TD to get within six, your defense needs to come up big with a stop if it wants to call itself a good defense. Bradham's miss will keep him in my doghouse for a long time. Embarrassing to say the least.

We are NOT a great defense and somebody on that unit needs to stand up and scream that at the top of his lungs in that lockerroom. I think they've been reading their clippings and enjoy being coddled by Ryan. Well Rex, this defense has HUGE problems when facing anything other than a poor team with average QBing. Good teams with average QBs can beat us when we play like today. Good teams with good QBs will embarrass us if we can't fix these problems.

Bottom line is, I don't think the Giants beat us as much as we beat ourselves. 99% of the time, that's a coaching issue and our staff schit the bed big time today. Amateur hour indeed.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with you that we beat ourselves. Doesn't Coughlin also agree with you "the Bills will beat themselves with penalties?"

I also agree that so far, Rex's D has not lived up to expectations. Didn't he come into the year saying something like "#4 in the league is kind of disappointing, really?" (#4 was on points against)

We're number 16 so far, Rex, so that's beyond disappointing to me.

I, too, thought the tackling was soft.

Maybe Rex needs to bring Incognito into his office for a "how did you do it?" chat. Incognito successfully went from Martz screaming on the sideline "What the F*@# is wrong with that F*@#?" to a guy who could have his helmet ripped off and walk away from it with the Dolphins. He must know something about how to change to play tough and play physical, but step back from the line of drawing a personal foul.

As I mentioned in another thread I was initially all for the Rex Ryan hire but after the New England debacle I began to second guess it and after this game I'm doing the same thing. No discipline and our defense hasn't been close to the dominant defense it was last year..... people killed Marrone all offseason and even during the season last year, but at this point I'd take him over Rex.

You got the wrong coach, IMO, Law-man. Schwartz was the guy responsible for what we had last year, which was a tough, physical, run-stingy D that brought consistent pressure with limited blitzes. Roman is an upgrade on Marrone on the offensive side, and bringing back Marrone without an all-star DC would not be making us smile.

Unless I'm in space, though, we have the same ST coach so WTF's up with the lack of discipline there?

Edited by Hopeful

Ok...everyone remember the rule of thumb regarding losses.

Sunday: Fire everyone and Gilmore sucks

Monday: Fire everyone and Rex sucks

Tuesday: Fire everyone and bash Roman

Wednesday: I don't think we can beat Tenn.

Thursday: This is a very winnable game

Friday: I think we turn it around and go on a run

Saturday: Predictions Bills 50 Titans -2

here's a fan with their finger on the pulse.. :thumbsup:

in regard to the OP, i'm gonna cut Roman some slack on what he could do without two very big pieces of his O. not having to account for the threat of Watkins and McCoy, coupled with some very poor field position, allowed Spags some freedom in committing his corners to support the edge because they had help over the top. that helps not there if Watkins is playing, and as much as i like the new kid, he can't cut back through pursuit like McCoy casn. the one play Roman did eventually go to the well with were those Clay drags across and out. kind of surprised they kept working considering he may have been priority #1.

That was an awful pass by TT.

It may be an awful pass by TT, cue up the "I don't give a f**K" music. Jim Kelly threw awful passes at times too, the difference was his WR and TE were very well coached that you never never never let the other team catch your pass. If Clay couldn't catch it, he needed to bat it out. If we want Taylor to take some chances and throw under pressure, his guys need to protect him when he does, and I don't mean his OL.

Looks like another year of pretending vs. contending with this group.

Offensively, I don't understand how Roman can go from the play designs of a week ago to seemingly having little clue this afternoon. I'm sure the tape review will show how much we missed Sammy and Shady in the passing game and I can cut him some slack for that, but that two minute offense to end the first half was beyond comprehension. NOBODY on the field or sideline had any idea of what they wanted to do and that worries me greatly moving forward. What were they doing on the sideline while the defense was on the field before getting the ball back? No excuse for that display of two minute offense. None.

Defensively, we once again lost our composure at critical times and it worries me that Rex seemed unperturbed with it in his presser. I can only hope he supported them publicly but will rip them all a new one in the film room. Brady did indeed provide a blue print and good QBs like Manning can execute the kind of offense that neutralizes our pass rush and forces our LBs to cover.

I won't say anything about the atrocious tackling all day, other than when your team scores a momentum changing TD to get within six, your defense needs to come up big with a stop if it wants to call itself a good defense. Bradham's miss will keep him in my doghouse for a long time. Embarrassing to say the least.

We are NOT a great defense and somebody on that unit needs to stand up and scream that at the top of his lungs in that lockerroom. I think they've been reading their clippings and enjoy being coddled by Ryan. Well Rex, this defense has HUGE problems when facing anything other than a poor team with average QBing. Good teams with average QBs can beat us when we play like today. Good teams with good QBs will embarrass us if we can't fix these problems.

Bottom line is, I don't think the Giants beat us as much as we beat ourselves. 99% of the time, that's a coaching issue and our staff schit the bed big time today. Amateur hour indeed.

GO BILLS!!!

Over the previous few years our OL was overmatched. No amount of scheming and coaching could overcome the lack of talent. It has become evident again that the line's problems relate to talent level. To put it mildly Henderson is struggling.There were a number of plays where he simply whiffed allowing the defender to blow up the play. Urbik is a reasonable utility backup but he is not a starting caliber of guard. Glenn's best year was his rookie year. The organization has been secretive about his offseason illnesses/injuries which I'm sure affected his preparation. But in general he has been a disappointment. There is no question that Incognito is our best lineman. Without a doubt he is a tough player but with us his of style of play is much more refined and less of a wild brawler. Without his addition this line would be sunk.

As you noted the absence of McCoy and Watkins have impacted the offense. But we are not the only team that has to handle those inevitable challenges. What was evident in the Giant game was that their DL controlled our OL. On top of that they stacked the line overwheling our line even more. Roman's response was to stubbornly run plays into the strength of the defense. As you indicated Roman called a very unimaginative game and didn't react well to the flow of the game. That was very disappointing.

I'm not a Rex fan, and never have been so. He is more of a personality than he is a thinker. He is the type of person who can wow you in an interview but over time it becomes evident that his assets relate more to style than substance. In both the Pat and Giant games the personality and demeanor of those respective teams reflected their HCs. It was evident for all to see in the Giant game that the lack of maturity and discipline is a reflection of the personality of the HC.

The test of aspiring teams is not when they handlily beat lesser teams. The test is how do you perform against very good teams. That is when the measurement is real. It is not unfair to say even for a hometeam fan that the Bills had more talent than the Giants. The Giants prevailed because they were better coached and played with more maturity and intelligence. That is very disappointing.

here's a fan with their finger on the pulse.. :thumbsup:

in regard to the OP, i'm gonna cut Roman some slack on what he could do without two very big pieces of his O. not having to account for the threat of Watkins and McCoy, coupled with some very poor field position, allowed Spags some freedom in committing his corners to support the edge because they had help over the top. that helps not there if Watkins is playing, and as much as i like the new kid, he can't cut back through pursuit like McCoy casn. the one play Roman did eventually go to the well with were those Clay drags across and out. kind of surprised they kept working considering he may have been priority #1.

I cut Roman slack for the loss of Sammy and McCoy in my op. I give him nothing for that farce of a two minute offense where he appeared to have no command and less of an idea what the situation called for; totally inept.

GO BILLS!!!

God this board is crazy after a loss. We are still 2-2 and in 6th place in the AFC.

R-E-L-A-X

The concern is not over the team's record. It is over the undisciplined and unintelligent way it is playing. The difference in the Giant game was not talent; it was coaching.

The concern is not over the team's record. It is over the undisciplined and unintelligent way it is playing. The difference in the Giant game was not talent; it was coaching.

Well said.

My concern also applies to the .500 record; Mr. R-E-L-A-X won't be relaxing when the 2-2 becomes 5-5 and then 8-8.

I'm feeling the same. The choice of the words "build a bully" while politically incorrect these days, is scary to me for a completely separate reason. Bullies act like idiots (personal fouls) and eventually get beat up by someone bigger than them (The Patriots and the Giants). So far this year Ryan has gone up against two coaches who are better than him. He has lost to both. Just saying.

I agree about Ryan. He has built a team in his image. If you want to be a "bully" you need to be a smart "bully". This team acts more like a gang of undisciplined "thugs" not smart bullies. Ryan has not shown to be a smart coach. He is a lot of bluster but not much action to back up the words. He is undisciplined in his words and actions, and his players are following his example.

Many players on defense are taking a step back in development from the Schwartz era. Not that I would want Marrone back, but I think this D was much better under Schwartz.

We have the raw talent on this team, but I am beginning to think Ryan is hurting the overall talent development of this team. And he has been completely out-coached two weeks. I look back at the talented Jets teams that failed under Ryan and worry he will do to the Bills what he did to the Jets.

We have the talent now, but we need a talented coach who can instill motivation and discipline in that talent. The Bills are beating themselves, not getting beat.

I agree, and its not to early to recognize bad coaching, bad schemes with mistakes made by the coaching staff.

In two games the team looked great, and in two games they looked unbelievably bad especially on defense (which is Ryan's forte)

17 penalties this last game, and those gave the Giants 7 first downs! The Bills offense had two first downs at the half.

So, how does this play out? Does Rex have the ability to turn it around (penalties, can't check his emotions like an adult, performance accountability vs. making excuses for his team, etc.), or does Roman get promoted and Rex rides off into the sunset in the clown car? Or, some other scenario?

Probably too early to tell, but some really disturbing early evidence that this could go really bad.

HB

So, how does this play out? Does Rex have the ability to turn it around (penalties, can't check his emotions like an adult, performance accountability vs. making excuses for his team, etc.), or does Roman get promoted and Rex rides off into the sunset in the clown car? Or, some other scenario?

Probably too early to tell, but some really disturbing early evidence that this could go really bad.

HB

That was too funny, and got a real laugh from me. Clown car seems appropriate after this last game, and the games with dropping Jerry Hughes into pass coverage. No wonder the guy has anger issues...

This is becoming an urban legend. The players on the field were far more responsible for the loss than any coach. Plays were there to be made and they didn't make them or the NYG player in front of them just made a better one. Easley falls down in the EZ, Bradham misses an open field tackle he should make 90% of the time, TT doesn't see Felton open in the EZ, Carp misses a chip shot, NYG bobble a KO off at the goal line and no Bills get there for the tackle. KW lines up over center on a FG attempt and turns 3 Pts into 6. How is this " coaching"? You can talk all you want about PF penalties, but the Bills still would have won this game if they just made plays that were there in front of them. Coaching can put you in position to win, but guys still have to make the plays.

This is becoming an urban legend. The players on the field were far more responsible for the loss than any coach. Plays were there to be made and they didn't make them or the NYG player in front of them just made a better one. Easley falls down in the EZ, Bradham misses an open field tackle he should make 90% of the time, TT doesn't see Felton open in the EZ, Carp misses a chip shot, NYG bobble a KO off at the goal line and no Bills get there for the tackle. KW lines up over center on a FG attempt and turns 3 Pts into 6. How is this " coaching"? You can talk all you want about PF penalties, but the Bills still would have won this game if they just made plays that were there in front of them. Coaching can put you in position to win, but guys still have to make the plays.

The margin between winning and losing is small. Plays are always there to be made and are not made. That applies to both teams on the field. That's the nature of the sport. But that is not the central point most of the commentators are making. One can debate whether a particular PF penalty affected the game or not but even that isn't the issue. What is apparent is that this team is not playing smartly and not playing with sufficent discipline. If you don't believe that is an issue then you are in the minority.

Even the loud and brash HC who when asked about the penalties made the dumb comments about how he was proud of his team's efforts has recognized how ridiculous those comments were. He backtracked on those silly comments and acknowledged that the team needs to play with more discipline.

I strongly believe that from a talent standpoint that the Bills were the better team. The winning margin for the Giants is that they played smarter and with more discipline. That is a function of coaching and leadership.

The Bills are a fringe wildcard playoff team. They are not good enough to overcome self-destructive behavior on the field. The margin of error between being a playoff tam and not is smaller than you think.

After the Patriots and Giants debacles I'm convinced we are merely pretenders, yet again, and we will not be going to the playoffs for a 16th year.

I have no explanation for this franchise but my Sundays are much free-er the rest of this football season. I'll watch them but I won't go out of my way if there are better things I can be doing. I lost all faith again.

Hopefully the light switch comes on and the 2nd half of the season will be salvageable

Why is no one wanting to credit the play of the NY Giants. The Giants dominated on both sides of the line and controlled the line of scrimmage. They played better football than the Bills...For Eli to throw the ball in 1.78 seconds requires a lot of accuracy.

It may be an awful pass by TT, cue up the "I don't give a f**K" music. Jim Kelly threw awful passes at times too, the difference was his WR and TE were very well coached that you never never never let the other team catch your pass. If Clay couldn't catch it, he needed to bat it out. If we want Taylor to take some chances and throw under pressure, his guys need to protect him when he does, and I don't mean his OL.

A WR can tackle a defender & we get the down over minus 10 yds.

I cut Roman slack for the loss of Sammy and McCoy in my op. I give him nothing for that farce of a two minute offense where he appeared to have no command and less of an idea what the situation called for; totally inept.

GO BILLS!!!

And no sense of urgency. Do we really need to huddle up?

^^This. We're all aware of where we stand in the conference, etc. But to blatantly ignore the hellacious disciplinary problems of its team and, furthermore, the coach promoting it, is terrifying...