A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that Observer...you can go back to December last year and see i preferred a Roman HC/Schwartz DC combo.

that being said, i did not see anyone calling for Rex's head or "turning their back" on Rex last week.

Its four games, they have fugged up one in my mind.

BTW, I hated Tyrod on that last possession...but i also think a great learning experience and better against an NFC team. Way to many dumb throws into the middle of the field.

Only one? I can think of atleast 2........

And of course no one was calling for his head last week because the team actually looked good playing against an inferior team

But Rex wants to be the players coach. He was defending them after the game, saying the team showed heart and didn't give up and that's what he wants. He would not address the penalties, other than to imply that they were not really penalties. He needs to get a grip and start instilling discipline!

I agree with Rex here. He's not going to rip his team in the media. He has their back and they know it. I'm sure he's giving them a **** storm in - house, but not in the media. He said he'll get it fixed here. That acknowledges the problem, he knows it's there. You can't rip your team publicly and not lose the room.

Dude has 46 carries for 143 yards thru 4 games and there's no timetable for his return. How anyome thinks that was a good trade and contract is beyond me

The guy has missed something like 6 games over the previous 6 seasons IIRC, and the guy they trade for to get him is coming off missing a season to now missing time for ANOTHER knee injury

Does anyone besides me miss Jim Schwartz? What is up with the D linemen who led the league in pass rushing last year dropping into pass coverage?

Tyrod Taylor was playing in his 4th NFL game as the starting QB, and I have to ask what happened to the Buffalo run game? You know, the run game that was supposed to lead the NFL in rushing with a run game play book bigger then any other run game play book in the history of the NFL?

24 rushes for 55 yards = a 2.4 yards per rush is embarrassing. then playing from behind Buffalo had to throw 48 times

Rex Ryan is starting to look like the Bills *hired the wrong guy.

Well teh run game was missing the guy who was supposed to be the focal point of it, that doesn't help................

And also late in the 4th on that 4th down. A short throw to the RB on the side you just came up short on the prior 2 plays? Going for it on 4th down and what was it, 3 or 4 yards, throw it in the end zone! I'd rather see the pass fly over the head of a receiver in the end zone than run that weak play that comes up short.

Why? They both result in the same thing, a turnover, but atleast giving the ball short of the goal to Williams give the slight chance that maybe Williams breaks a tackle and powers his way in, instead of throwing an uncatchable ball way over someones head

And also late in the 4th on that 4th down. A short throw to the RB on the side you just came up short on the prior 2 plays? Going for it on 4th down and what was it, 3 or 4 yards, throw it in the end zone! I'd rather see the pass fly over the head of a receiver in the end zone than run that weak play that comes up short.

That was the play call by the OC, not TT. He snapped and threw right away. It was a terrible play (was supposed to be a pick play), but how Roman doesn't roll out the QB there is beyond me. That's not Taylor's fault. That play call is all Greg Roman.

THIS.

The sign of Ryan being a good coach will be when he radically changes what he is doing and doesn't continue to force his philosophy on the players. He needs to modify his philosophy in relation to the players. He hasn't done that.

The scary thing is they go 3-1 in their next 4 against weak opponents and continue to try the same approach against good teams.

10) I continue to wonder what sort of negative impact lack of an experienced OL coach is doing this unit. 2 more weeks until Kromer returns and we find out, hopefully that he helps.

Roman keeps outsmarting himself. It's hard to watch.

Jim McNally couldn't coach poor OL back in 07-08. I don't think it's a coaching issue as much as it is a talent one. They're playing a guy in Kouandjio who isn't good enough, Urbik who clearly is a liability, and Wood, who's injuries have made him a shell of what he used to be.

Edited by BillsVet

1) Eric Wood is an inadequate football player. Seriously, he cannot play his position worth a s$@t.

2) When they blitzed Graham and/or Robey, it worked.

3) I think that I might be the biggest fan of Mario Williams on this board. That said, he provided zero pass rush today and I am not at all pleased.

4) Tyrod is said to have been nursing an ankle injury. Hopefully, this will explain the lack of rushing attempts. There is no need to treat him like a sacred cow. He needs to take off and run to play to his max.

5) I was losing time, I had nothing to do.

No-one to find, I came to you.

Wheels broke down; leader won't draw.

The line is busted, the last one I saw.

6) Don't get me wrong, I am THRILLED by the fact that we signed Clay. I do however wish that someone would coach him up to find the first down markers.

7) This is not about the game, but being a Bills fan is not for the faint of heart.

8) On one play in the late 2nd quarter, Kyle Williams lined up at defensive end. If this wasn't stupid enough, he dropped into coverage. Memories of Jauron were dancing in my head.

9) 17 penalties? No pass rush despite superior talent on defense? I am not there yet, but I am approaching the point of turning my back on Rex Ryan.

10) I am thinking that Glenn's inability to play well has been defined by injuries that we did not know about. I hope so, because Kujo wasn't exactly tearing up the field, ya know?

11) Do you know what Thigpen needs? I will spell it out:

A) A special teams coach who will explain to him to NOT call for a fair catch inside the 10.

B) A head coach who will take responsibility for this.

C) Both.

12) Darby continues to impress.

13) Marcel was NOT impressive today. For that matter neither was Hughes. Could they be weighed down by the 175 million dollars or so in their pockets? I hope not but I am willing to, at this point, blame it on the utterly stupid defensive scheme, and I point the blame right at Rex.

14) We are now in a must win situation next week. Nothing new to Bills Fans, right? Let us please prevail in London.

15) Karlos Williams can play football!!!!!

16) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Point 8... See bears game last year lol. We found our shut down corner!!!!

I was at the game TT did not play bad ---dropped passes , poor routes , and the list went on. I think his numbers were 278 yards, 2 td, 1 pick and he ran one in that was called back for a hold. The problem lays directly with Rex

1 td

The guy has missed something like 6 games over the previous 6 seasons IIRC, and the guy they trade for to get him is coming off missing a season to now missing time for ANOTHER knee injury

point is that he a) he had a lot of tread on the tires and was at the point where RBs start to wear out (which is happening); b) he costs far more than Kiko, c) we had plenty of depth at RB w/ freddy, bryce, williams, and d) should have just invested even more in the oline and other areas and gone with a RB by committee approach, rather than the antiquated "put it on one stud RB to carry the load" philosophy

Edited by JTSP

13) Marcel was NOT impressive today. For that matter neither was Hughes. Could they be weighed down by the 175 million dollars or so in their pockets? I hope not but I am willing to, at this point, blame it on the utterly stupid defensive scheme, and I point the blame right at Rex.

I don't think it's all bad on Defense...I just don't think it's nearly as good as it should be...Especially considering how much Rex talks...This Defense reminds me already of the 2013 D under Pettine...Except they're not getting to the QB as much, and they're a little better vs the run...But I think there are similarities...And when it's compared to what Schwartz did with the same bunch it's really not good enough...

I'm certain there were plenty here on this board who were a bit worried about Rex coming in here and messing up what seemed to be a pretty good thing on Defense...Even if you were like me and liked the hire...

One thing I noticed today...and I think they talked about it on the radio broadcast...was the fact that the Bills no longer utilize the rotation on the D-line like they did last year...Now...I know that drove some folks a bit nuts...But it worked and kept the top 4 real fresh...I think it was Murph who commented that Rex is on record saying he wants his best players on the field as much as possible...But that's just another little aspect of how things have changed under Rex...

I don't know...Admittedly it may be nitpicking a bit...But this Defense certainly was not broke...And you know the saying...I have to admit I was a little worried about that...Even though I was convinced Rex would make it even better...

All that being said if those 2 TD's don't get called back on more than questionable calls, and Bradham makes the tackle, the Bills still win this one...It was just a bad day... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

i don't know what "turn your back" means....to me it seems you mean to fire the coach...if not please define.

Lost faith. No belief in him

Dude has 46 carries for 143 yards thru 4 games and there's no timetable for his return. How anyome thinks that was a good trade and contract is beyond me

Considering what we traded away. It was a fine trade. What are kikos numbers? He isnt setting the world on fire and this staff deemed him not fit for their scheme

They were no threat to run outside with Karlos (they tried and failed, badly). Without McCoy to test the outside, and Watkins to pull defenders away from the line a bit, well....they sucked.

The Bills would be smart to find a RB with some speed, while McCoy is out. Even a one trick free agent (or try to trade Robert Woods. He is nothing special, and not even as good as Hogan).

Are you gonna keep pushing this woods isnt as good as hogan nonsense? When will it end

Taylor did look good in the 2nd half. He was overthinking in the 1st half. Started using his feet in the 2nd.

I think he did enough for us to win today.

16 points. I think the d did enough to win

Bad plays and all

Small things add up with this group:

• Carpenter missing a 20 yard FG
  • Williams trying to screen off a tackler rather than hitting him, Tyrod scores there
  • Woods fumble by wrestling for a few extra yards
  • Bradham's missed tackle results in TD
  • Henderson whiffing on a short yardage play- beginning to wonder if he is good enough

if carpenter is not accurate they seriously have to question using 3 roster spots on kickers. gay has the stronger leg, my hunch is he can be just as accurate as carpenter's been. they could cut carpenter, not lose anything in the kicking game, and use the roster spot for another position

Just saw the Kyle Williams post game interview on the bills site. Bills let the crappy reffing get in their heads. Williams still fumiing about the refs without calling them out directly. He said Preston Brown penalty was nonsense as he was trying to get the football.

Williams also implied that the Bills reputation has refs looking for anything and they can only get out of this by being "choir boys".

btw KW has a lot of freaking nerve complaining about refs after he committed the complete novice error of lining up over the center on the FG, which lead to a Giants TD and netted them 4 points versus a FG

Edited by JTSP

point is that he a) he had a lot of tread on the tires and was at the point where RBs start to wear out (which is happening); b) he costs far more than Kiko, c) we had plenty of depth at RB w/ freddy, bryce, williams, and d) should have just invested even more in the oline and other areas and gone with a RB by committee approach, rather than the antiquated "put it on one stud RB to carry the load" philosophy

You forgot about Boobie Dixon. He is Rex's favorite cheerleader."it's go time, it's go time!". Guy is useless. Don't wanna beat the Jackson dead horse but geez. A big ugly corny cheerleader. Oh Boobie!

Ugh, what a crap game to watch.

• Gilmore was totally being pick on in the first quarter. I know he had a better 2nd half, but that first half was brutal. Shutdown corner? Not yet.
  • The Giants specials teams (especially on kick and punt coverage) were on fire.
  • Marcel is a stud.
  • Our defensive line schemes simply aren't working. Are the coaches trying to be too fancy? It was very frustrating. (I wish The Schwartz was still with us.)
  • Our O-line still has a looooong way to go.
  • Tyrod is awesome. I love watching that guy play. His arm motion is as smooth as silk on those long throw.
  • Those penalties were inexcusable. Hughes and Brown need to learn how to calm the f**k down when the play ends.
  • I'm officially worried about Carpenter.
  • Clay had a strong 2nd half, but didn't seem to know where the first down marker was in the first half.
  • What the heck happened to Roman's awesome play calling? Last week was a thing of beauty, but this week was a shocker.
  • Bring on the Titans! (and let's please get our injured player back ASAP.)

Let's go Buffalo!

Edited by Bad Things

Hey B from NYC.

For 2-3 years you gave your opinion about Gilmore...This year you loved the boy. Today he had a horrible game. No mention of him? nothing? What gives?

I wouldn't say "horrible."

I can't pin too much blame on Gilmore because there was little to no pass rush, despite the fact that the Giants OL is said to be suspect, and their LT was injured.

I wouldn't say "horrible."

I can't pin too much blame on Gilmore because there was little to no pass rush, despite the fact that the Giants OL is said to be suspect, and their LT was injured.

On.the Randell.TD I think he was expecting safety help over the middle that was late. Not sure who it was on but not definitely on Gilmore

Edited by JTSP

Rex Ryan defense not working right now. Against Brady and Manning not even close to good enough. They will feast on crappy QB's. Could it be too complicated or players not ready in it yet?

Greg Roman really lost the game by running the same inside run on first down for the entire first half. Let Tyrod go downfield and let's throw on 1st down way more.

Injuries mounting. We have way too many guys out this early in the year.

Anger on players has to be controlled. I would have liked to see our linebackers make a tackle or two up the middle.

Let's also give Giants credit. Manning and Coughlin have won 2 Superbowls. We aren't beating guys like that with crappy play like we saw today.

during the first half I thought we brought back Marones offense, like in Miami we need to set up the run with the pass and play action. Middle 10-15 yard passes were there as well as over the top it took us 3 quarters to figure it out,

One thing Bills fans need to take into consideration is that the Giants are very used to playing against a running QB in their division in RG3, and have successfully shut him down. Look at all the running QB's and where they play. Seattle with Wilson, SF with Kaepernick, Wash with RG3, Carolina with Newton, and all in the NFC!!

When Taylor took off running it didn't work very often, and especially in the red zone on 4th down.

The Bills simply don't have the talent on their O line to make a power run game work like Greg Roman had in SF, and three TE's isn't going to help that much if you don't have the horses on the line. When the Bills were in a clear running formation with 3 TE's the Giants stacked the box 5 on the line, and 8 in the box.

The Bills run game was mostly ineffective 24 rushes for 55 yards= a 2.3 YPC avg. and it helps to have the receivers past the first down marker on 3rd down. This happened over and over where on 3rd down the pass was completed but the receiver was tackled 3 yards behind the LoS.

Taylor's passes were off target a lot in the first half, and It looked like Eli Manning was doing more roll outs then Taylor.

FIRST HALF: The Bills had 42 rushing yards, 36 passing yards = 78 yards of offense(one turnover) in the first half losing 16-3. Bills with only 2 first downs to the Giants 12 first downs in the half. This is because the Bills are starting a QB who was playing in his fourth NFL start, and there will be growing pains.

Maybe he shouldn't throw it to him if that's the case.

A quarterback in a live game situation is not going to pause to analyze whether his receiver is a yard short of the sticks or a yard past the sticks. Expecting him to do that is unrealistic. It is the receiver's job to know where the sticks are and to get the first down. The quarterback's job is to get him the ball. TT did his part. Clay did not.

I don't know, the Bills did not play great but I thought the refs took the game right from the Bills. I have said this before & I will say it again, I don't care if the penalties are even or close to even it is when the penalties are called. The refs seem to call penalties on the bills in the most crucial plays. The holding call on Urbick was crap. That cost us 7 points. Williams over the center was crap. That cost us 4 points. They said on the radio today that last year NE/Jets the guy for NE was lined over the center & the ref tapped him before the play & told him to move over. Another caller said it happened in the Arizona/Rams game yesterday too where the ref told the guy to move over instead of calling a penalty. The chop block that took another 7 off the board was crap. Clay's first down catch where the pass interference was crap. Gronk has made a living doing 10 times worse then that & never gets called. Yeah yeah I know the players should be able to overcome it. I am sick of that bs excuse. The Giants & Bills for the most part are two evenly matched teams, when flags cost you 14-20 points of course we are going to end up on the losing end. It is disgusting, for some reason the NFL has an ax to grind with the bills & I hate to say it it has been like that for years. Almost makes me want to give up watching the sport.

and on that play Felton was WIDE open in the end zone, closest to TT

I don't know, the Bills did not play great but I thought the refs took the game right from the Bills. I have said this before & I will say it again, I don't care if the penalties are even or close to even it is when the penalties are called. The refs seem to call penalties on the bills in the most crucial plays. The holding call on Urbick was crap. That cost us 7 points. Williams over the center was crap. That cost us 4 points. They said on the radio today that last year NE/Jets the guy for NE was lined over the center & the ref tapped him before the play & told him to move over. Another caller said it happened in the Arizona/Rams game yesterday too where the ref told the guy to move over instead of calling a penalty. The chop block that took another 7 off the board was crap. Clay's first down catch where the pass interference was crap. Gronk has made a living doing 10 times worse then that & never gets called. Yeah yeah I know the players should be able to overcome it. I am sick of that bs excuse. The Giants & Bills for the most part are two evenly matched teams, when flags cost you 14-20 points of course we are going to end up on the losing end. It is disgusting, for some reason the NFL has an ax to grind with the bills & I hate to say it it has been like that for years. Almost makes me want to give up watching the sport.

Sadly I have to agree, there were 2 types of penalties which killed the Bills: the phantom, borderline calls which cost us 2 TDs (hold on Urbik, "chop block" on Richie), and the self-induced penalties after the play. The former were very concerning as they directly cost us points. I do wonder about the enforcement of certain penalties across league, as penalties overall are way up this year. But it does appear at least subliminally that the crews are now out for the Bills b/c of the loudmouth rep they have earned. If Coughlin coached his team to bait the Bills, he was on to something.

I wonder what the tempo and outcome of the 1st half would have been if they had come out with play action passing like against Miami. Giants have the worst pass d in the NFL, and Roman tried to get cute. Doesn't make sense.

If Bradham can make a tackle on Jennings, we might have a different result from today's game.

And if he had turned his head around in coverage at the end of the pats game he would have had the easiest INT of his life and we would have had the ball down 5 points at midfield with plenty of time to score.

Nigel is a pretty good lb but I wouldn't exactly call him Mr clutch

Bacari Rambo is talented, but he plays at every play at 100 miles an hour. Some plays call for 100mph, others call for a slower pace. He got stiff armed on the TD run because he couldn't slow himself down when he got to the ball. He needs to do a better job of controlling his body or he is going to get hurt doing something stupid. I also thought his quote last week about no changing anything made him seem like an uncoachable jerk.

Preston brown - Hes good, but hes an angry child out there. He has great talent, but his lack of composure is very evident. Other teams know it and he unless he makes a change teams will continue to talk at him and get him to commit personal fouls.

Darby is the best Dback we have. He is looking like a steal in the draft.

Urbik isnt great but idk who would fill his shoes.

Incognito is a good anchor.

Clay woke up in the second half, but wtf was wrong with him in the 1st half. Could catch a thing.

In general on third down... TT needs to tell receivers who are running routes 3yrds or so that end up being short of the sticks... tell those guys to make sure to get past the 1st down mark. Sometimes routes get adjusted on the fly. Gaining 4 on 3rd and 5 is worthless. He hit clay twice running side to side 1 yrd short. Get past the 1st before you catch the ball!

Karlos is a better running back with Sammy and Lesean in the game.

Hogan... hes a solid #4 wr.

The team was sleep walking through the first half and the reason it looks so bad is because we have seen what this team looks like when they click on all cylinders.

I know the bye week is a few games away but I think Carpenter will benefit most from some time off. I dont think hes bad, i think hes a little dinged up. That missed fg though... it caused us to go for it on 4th from the 3 yrd line. Had we made the first fg, a second would have pulled us within 7.

Thats all I got.

Edited by PortlandiaEast

My reality can be dialed up in just a handful of points.

1 - The Giants defensive plan was to make the Bills beat them throwing over the top. For much of the day, Roman's offense refused to even try.

2 - The Bills defense looks like a bunch of undisciplined mouth breathers. More than a quarter of the Giants total yards were from penalty calls. You could argue that at least 14 points as well came from that.

3 - Losing the turnover battle by even 1 (which the Bills did) doesn't bode well for W/L. 90% of the time, if you're -1 (which the Bills were), you lose.

4 - Tyrod is waiting too long to either throw the ball or take off running. This has been the case since the Patriots game. To paraphrase from The Matrix, stop trying to do it and just do it.

5 - The Giants essentially played "Patriots" football against the Bills. No long protracted plays at all. Two step drop and release. We should be doing the same but are not.

6 - I loved the two wins that the team has and thought at first they were against good teams. Not so much so after yesterday. The Colts are struggling and the Dolphins are an abortion wrapped in rotten meat. Just terrible.

A loss next week at Tennessee and this season is over. I don't care how you package it, that's pretty much reality.

My reality can be dialed up in just a handful of points.

1 - The Giants defensive plan was to make the Bills beat them throwing over the top. For much of the day, Roman's offense refused to even try.

Yes this is one of the primary reasons why the Bills sucked on offense during the first half.

4 - Tyrod is waiting too long to either throw the ball or take off running. This has been the case since the Patriots game. To paraphrase from The Matrix, stop trying to do it and just do it.

I disagree with your number 4 statement. The reason he has so many big plays open up for him is because he is able to hold the ball so long without getting sacked. I am totally fine with him holding the ball for 4 or 5 seconds as long as he is not getting sacked. The Bills will have a lot more big plays if he continues doing that then they would if he is trying to get rid of the ball much faster.

If he didn't have the natural skill to avoid the pass rush, then yes, I would want him to get rid of the ball quicker. Based on his skill set I say no. I am not worried one bit about how long he holds the ball. At least not as long as he is able to keep avoiding sacks. It is part of what makes him a more productive quarterback in my opinion.

They were no threat to run outside with Karlos (they tried and failed, badly). Without McCoy to test the outside, and Watkins to pull defenders away from the line a bit, well....they sucked.

The Bills would be smart to find a RB with some speed, while McCoy is out. Even a one trick free agent (or try to trade Robert Woods. He is nothing special, and not even as good as Hogan).

Hate to say it, how about Bryce Brown?

Gilmore was not a problem today.

Exactly!! What was ODB Jr numbers?

Not having Shady was a big issue. It did not spread the field on offense

On.the Randell.TD I think he was expecting safety help over the middle that was late. Not sure who it was on but not definitely on Gilmore

Either that or he played bad technique. Maybe Rambo was the one fuggin up the play given that he was slanted to the other half of the field. What bothers me is that he should play the man to direct him outside and use the sideline as an extra defender, then trust your ability.

A quarterback in a live game situation is not going to pause to analyze whether his receiver is a yard short of the sticks or a yard past the sticks. Expecting him to do that is unrealistic. It is the receiver's job to know where the sticks are and to get the first down. The quarterback's job is to get him the ball. TT did his part. Clay did not.

It happened three times in one half, inexcusable.