A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

He and everyone else can nitpick some calls and complain all they want , but the bottom line is the giants looked the far more disciplined team out there.

That was my point. The Bills didn't like some calls and became unraveled from that. They need to be more level next time, even in game where it feels like they are fighting the refs also.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding TT's play, he was bad in this game. His accuracy was off on many passes.

He had a 67% completion percentage, 270 yards, a TD, and an "int" that was a strip from a receiver's hands.

All that with a bad line and no running game, the Bills best WR out, the star RB out, 2 lineman out.

There were a lot of things wrong today: Taylor has to be a bright spot.

Someone else said they thought the last drive was bad by Taylor. Maybe, but geez, the Bills were down 14 points inside 2 minutes. The odds were pretty damn long against them.

When the coach leads with his big mouth, he needs to back it up. Penalties = bad coaching. No way around that fact.

Rex has a top talent defense and they don't look it yet. That's on Rex.

Bills fans are willing to forgive Rex his big blabbing mouth if they win but if they don't, his style is not one that reflects Buffalonians and will grow old fast.

No one is calling for him to be fired but as I have said a few times, he's on a short leash.

4 games in to his 1st season and you think he's on a short leash with a 2-2 record? I've said this before, when we win we're a SuperBowl team...after a loss everyone wants to fire everyone.

The defense struggled, but the offense lost this game. It was NOTHING LIKE the Patriots game. The Giants were held to 16 point for most of the game, but the Bills offense was stonewalled.

Missing their best WR and star RB...not to mention 2 of their starting offensive lineman and during the game a 3rd lineman went down...yes the offense struggled.

Bigger issue are the things they can control, "Tom Coughlin told his players before Sunday's game that the Bills would beat themselves with penalties."

So now coaches and refs know the Bills are prone to dumbass play.

I was furious about the Bills players and coaches and the Refs. And I haven't read this thread only because I'm sure it would infuriate me more. I will just say my "few thoughts" and then step away...

We got outcoached on offense and defense overall. Rex made the same mistake as the NE game and Roman for the first time IMO did not do what he needed to do.

The guys making the undisciplined plays, for the most part, and all this season (Aaron Williams, Robert Woods, Jerry Hughes) were hotheads before Rex got here. I don't blame that on Rex. The ST penalties to me are on Crossman.

The best thing about this game was Tyrod, IMO. He really wasn't bad even though he missed some balls and it took a long time for our offense to get going. He doesn't make horrible passes or obvious bad decisions. He throws a great deep ball. He escapes the rush a lot. He missed some balls I wish he would have hit but he doesn't make the big mistake. We lost 17-20 points on some questionable calls. He missed a couple I wish he would have made but to me he still does a ton of great stuff.

The biggest play of the game was Bradham's missed tackle but it's not like he does that a lot.

The Giants deserved to win without being the better team.

4 games in to his 1st season and you think he's on a short leash with a 2-2 record? I've said this before, when we win we're a SuperBowl team...after a loss everyone wants to fire everyone.

No one is calling for his firing. I even said that in the post.

If he wins, the city will toast him. But if he loses with this talent, he is most certainly on a short leash. He can't go 8-8 for two seasons and still have a job. With his big yapper, it's playoffs in 2 years or he's gone. That's a short leash. IF the team somehow folds and goes 6-10 (unlikely but possible), he could be gone this year.

His attitude more than anything is contributing to the penalties. And I'd guess his attitude and arrogance more than anything has the defense acting like their s%^& doesn't stink. Hopefully he can get them back to playing disciplined and smart...the way Schwartz had them playing last year. You remember Jim Schwartz, the guy who rarely talked?

That was my point. The Bills didn't like some calls and became unraveled from that. They need to be more level next time, even in game where it feels like they are fighting the refs also.

At this point, the refs are watching the Bills closely because they are a bunch of undisciplined idiots. That means they have to play even smarter.

The chop block was a bad call. The hold on TT's TD run was a bad call. But that's what happens when the refs know you're a dumb team and that's what happens when you're so stupid that you get back to back personal fouls on the same play. The refs even looked dumb for not ejecting some Bills today.

just explain what"turning your back" means...s that not calling for Rex to be fired?

Maybe i slow

9) 17 penalties? No pass rush despite superior talent on defense? I am not there yet, but I am approaching the point of turning my back on Rex Ryan.

Not slow but maybe emotional right now? No worries, we all are. Not that you asked but my advice is to just read what's actually written and stick to it.

We'll never reach the playoffs if we have double digit penalties every game. Rex needs to either improve on this or go. And the way he is with the media, and how the same thing has gone on for a quarter of the regular season now, I'm not sure he gets it. Nobody is calling for him to be fired, it's early and there's a lot to like but it's well worth talking about.

Edited by Aaron

Not slow but maybe emotional right now? No worries, we all are. Not that you asked but my advice is to just read what's actually written and stick to it.

We'll never reach the playoffs if we have double digit penalties every game. Rex needs to either improve on this or go. And the way he is with the media, and how the same thing has gone on for a quarter of the regular season now, I'm not sure he gets it. Nobody is calling for him to be fired, it's early and there's a lot to like but it's well worth talking about.

well the "build a bully" thing really is quite silly at this level. None of these teams are going to be intimidated into losing.

Edited by JTSP

I agree with you - particularly on #15 and #9. Not ready to turn my back on Ryan; but he certainly runs an undisciplined squad.

If I was an owner, I'd be making a call tomorrow. "Rex, Let's chat...All this yellow is embarrassing. I want it cleaned up. Fine every unsportsmanlike penalty for the rest of the year or I'll fine the coaches." :wallbash:

At this point, the refs are watching the Bills closely because they are a bunch of undisciplined idiots. That means they have to play even smarter.

The chop block was a bad call. The hold on TT's TD run was a bad call. But that's what happens when the refs know you're a dumb team and that's what happens when you're so stupid that you get back to back personal fouls on the same play. The refs even looked dumb for not ejecting some Bills today.

I thought the reason the refs picked up the flag and didn't throw another on the late hits to TT was retribution for the Bills' stupidity on the other side of the ball. Brown was outrageous, even on the next play he could have been called again for unnecessary roughness.

True, but in classic Bills' fashion, when the team needed a big stop the D let them score a TD. It's been this same recipe for a decade now.

That`s what happens when you are on the field all day because of 3 and outs!

Better coaching and better QB won the game. Better talent? No way.

No doubt the Bills have better talent, but the Giants were the better team on the field today. If the Bills would've come back & won, they would've stole one.

The biggest thing that this team can do is stop with the stupid, stupid, undisciplined penalties.

If they can also clean up some of their horrendous special teams gaffes (holding, missing field goals/xtra points, calling fair catch at inopportune times, trying to run the ball out of the end zone, etc), this team will continue to improve. If they don't right those two major problems in a hurry, I'm afraid that it's definitely going to be another long, painful season with no playoffs.

At this point, it would be foolish to turn our backs on the coaching staff, but a lot of this silly crap that I'm seeing going on is stuff that coaches can (mostly) control.

If the players are making stupid, bone-headed plays, you either ream their butts on the sideline after the play, let the other players call them out in the locker room, and/or sit them for a series (or even a game or two). Or all of the above!

But Rex wants to be the players coach. He was defending them after the game, saying the team showed heart and didn't give up and that's what he wants. He would not address the penalties, other than to imply that they were not really penalties. He needs to get a grip and start instilling discipline!

But Rex wants to be the players coach. He was defending them after the game, saying the team showed heart and didn't give up and that's what he wants. He would not address the penalties, other than to imply that they were not really penalties. He needs to get a grip and start instilling discipline!

People need to stop taking coaches and especially Rex for his word in press conferences. It looks worse on you than it does on him. Nothing of what he says after a game in a press conference matters or is the truth.

When your head coach talks a good game and in that sense is undisciplined, why shouldn't the rest of the team follow suit and take shots? The problem is that when the coach is undisciplined, it shows up in the press; when the players are undisciplined it shows up on the scoreboard. Rex, shut your mouth and coach, if you can.

He had a 67% completion percentage, 270 yards, a TD, and an "int" that was a strip from a receiver's hands.

All that with a bad line and no running game, the Bills best WR out, the star RB out, 2 lineman out.

There were a lot of things wrong today: Taylor has to be a bright spot.

Someone else said they thought the last drive was bad by Taylor. Maybe, but geez, the Bills were down 14 points inside 2 minutes. The odds were pretty damn long against them.

There were thows that were in the vacinity of the receiver that were caught. Ball placement could have been better, that's all. I didn't like TT throwing short of the sticks, whether is by design, forced or him not waiting for other routes to develop, we shall see when the all-22 comes out in couple of days.

There were thows that were in the vacinity of the receiver that were caught. Ball placement could have been better, that's all. I didn't like TT throwing short of the sticks, whether is by design, forced or him not waiting for other routes to develop, we shall see when the all-22 comes out in couple of days.

At least 3 times, Clay ran a route a yard short of the marker in the first half. Not going to throw him under the bus since Clay had a great game but those were bad moments.

He should be calling out Jerry Hughes by name. HE had no trouble calling out Dan Carpenter and Jerry Hughes gets paid 10 times Carpenter and is hurting the team a lot more.

People need to stop taking coaches and especially Rex for his word in press conferences. It looks worse on you than it does on him. Nothing of what he says after a game in a press conference matters or is the truth.

Do you have some special insight that says the guy we see in the presser is different than the guy in the locker room? Outside of what he says to the media, the lack of discipline on the field is obvious to all. There is no evidence yet that he is doing anything about it.

This team reminds me of another team we had in 2000's, proclaimed them selves the best defense ever. I think that team had a retread coach & lots of

Penalties also. These guys can talk the talk but can't walk the walk. Be ready for about 6 wins.

At least 3 times, Clay ran a route a yard short of the marker in the first half. Not going to throw him under the bus since Clay had a great game but those were bad moments.

He should be calling out Jerry Hughes by name. HE had no trouble calling out Dan Carpenter and Jerry Hughes gets paid 10 times Carpenter and is hurting the team a lot more.

Maybe he shouldn't throw it to him if that's the case.

One of the obvious disparities between the teams in this game was that our OL was overmatched by their DL. There were few lanes for the backs to run. It seems to me that Rex is trying to outsmart and outthink the opposition with his defensive schemes. Mario Williams, who last year was one of the most dominant players in the league, has become an invisible player. Instead of unleashing him to rush the passer I saw him dropping back into coverage. When the defense is the strength of your team don't complicate the schemes so that your best players are not attacking the play. Play to your strength and cut out the gimmicky nonsense.

In general I thought TT played well. Not exceptionally, but competently. The holding call on Urbik on the TD run by TT was a brutal call. The refereeing in all NFL games has gotten out of hand. It's as if the referees are getting paid by the number of calls they make. It is killing the continuity of the game and it is excruciating to watch.

One quarter of the season has gone by. Rex's team lacks discipline and doesn't play smartly. In this game and in the Pats game RR was demonstrably outcoached by higher caliber coaches. Being a colorful personality and very quotable may make you a more likeable coach but it doesn't mean that you are an effective coach.

In this game it was apparent to me that the superior team and the better coached team won.

I'm not happy how this game transpired but I am far from being discouraged. The more TT plays the better he will get. The Bills are a fringe wildcard playoff type team. We will be playing meaningful games up to the end. That is a step forward.

One of the obvious disparities between the teams in this game was that our OL was overmatched by their DL. There were few lanes for the backs to run. It seems to me that Rex is trying to outsmart and outthink the opposition with his defensive schemes. Mario Williams, who last year was one of the most dominant players in the league, has become an invisible player. Instead of unleashing him to rush the passer I saw him dropping back into coverage. When the defense is the strength of your team don't complicate the schemes so that your best players are not attacking the play. Play to your strength and cut out the gimmicky nonsense.

In general I thought TT played well. Not exceptionally, but competently. The holding call on Urbik on the TD run by TT was a brutal call. The refereeing in all NFL games has gotten out of hand. It's as if the referees are getting paid by the number of calls they make. It is killing the continuity of the game and it is excruciating to watch.

One quarter of the season has gone by. Rex's team lacks discipline and doesn't play smartly. In this game and in the Pats game RR was demonstrably outcoached by higher caliber coaches. Being a colorful personality and very quotable may make you a more likeable coach but it doesn't mean that you are an effective coach.

In this game it was apparent to me that the superior team and the better coached team won.

I'm not happy how this game transpired but I am far from being discouraged. The more TT plays the better he will get. The Bills are a fringe wildcard playoff type team. We will be playing meaningful games up to the end. That is a step forward.

lord, it pains to me agree with you :lol: but i do!.

You think it's the QB's job to know whether he's run the route 1 yard longer?

It's the WR's job to hit the sticks. That's pretty basic route running.

When it happens three times in a game, it's his job to put players in position to make positive plays.

Agreed.

My point was the coaching held us back today....how many times have we said that over the past 15 years? I'm sick of it.

I agree with you too, coaching and lack of discipline were both pretty bad today. Refs were bad too. Above all though, I was more impressed by the Giants than anything.

I didn't like the offensive gameplan going into this game. Unlike other games, we were too conservative and predictable on early downs. When we had to pass and convert the 1st down, TT threw the ball short of the 1st down marker. This was throughout the entire 1st half

And also late in the 4th on that 4th down. A short throw to the RB on the side you just came up short on the prior 2 plays? Going for it on 4th down and what was it, 3 or 4 yards, throw it in the end zone! I'd rather see the pass fly over the head of a receiver in the end zone than run that weak play that comes up short.

Anyone remember last year when Sullivan wrote about the OL playing awful and pinning a lot of that on Wood? Wood then tweeting at Sully and saying he wasn't man enough to call him out individually or on Twitter?

Hey, Wood. I am calling you out. I am not Sully, but I will call you out here or Twitter or whatever it takes to get people to realize for 2 seasons you've played some ****ty football.

Yes, I am on a campaign because I have been tired of seeing him suck the field up. We failed in replacing him this offseason, we must not next season. I had said I would rather draft the best OC available in the 3rd then an OG if it came down to it in order to play the new OC at OG or Wood at OG if he can cut it.

Clearly, he is not one of the best football players on this roster.

Hey B from NYC.

For 2-3 years you gave your opinion about Gilmore...This year you loved the boy. Today he had a horrible game. No mention of him? nothing? What gives?

he won't usually respond to this but he used to usually get lamb basted for going after Gilmore again.

1) Eric Wood is an inadequate football player. Seriously, he cannot play his position worth a s$@t.

2) When they blitzed Graham and/or Robey, it worked.

3) I think that I might be the biggest fan of Mario Williams on this board. That said, he provided zero pass rush today and I am not at all pleased.

4) Tyrod is said to have been nursing an ankle injury. Hopefully, this will explain the lack of rushing attempts. There is no need to treat him like a sacred cow. He needs to take off and run to play to his max.

5) I was losing time, I had nothing to do.

No-one to find, I came to you.

Wheels broke down; leader won't draw.

The line is busted, the last one I saw.

6) Don't get me wrong, I am THRILLED by the fact that we signed Clay. I do however wish that someone would coach him up to find the first down markers.

7) This is not about the game, but being a Bills fan is not for the faint of heart.

8) On one play in the late 2nd quarter, Kyle Williams lined up at defensive end. If this wasn't stupid enough, he dropped into coverage. Memories of Jauron were dancing in my head.

9) 17 penalties? No pass rush despite superior talent on defense? I am not there yet, but I am approaching the point of turning my back on Rex Ryan.

10) I am thinking that Glenn's inability to play well has been defined by injuries that we did not know about. I hope so, because Kujo wasn't exactly tearing up the field, ya know?

11) Do you know what Thigpen needs? I will spell it out:

A) A special teams coach who will explain to him to NOT call for a fair catch inside the 10.

B) A head coach who will take responsibility for this.

C) Both.

16) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing's for certain, it could always go wrong.

And also late in the 4th on that 4th down. A short throw to the RB on the side you just came up short on the prior 2 plays? Going for it on 4th down and what was it, 3 or 4 yards, throw it in the end zone! I'd rather see the pass fly over the head of a receiver in the end zone than run that weak play that comes up short.

Me too, the play was weak sauce, Tyrod should audible to something better there. They showed the replay and after his initial block Felton found an open spot in the endzone that Taylor couldn't see.

Edited by Fixxxer

If Bradham can make a tackle on Jennings, we might have a different result from today's game.

Yep. That was quite the turning point. If I had to put the critical moment on one play, that would have been it.

I agree with you too, coaching and lack of discipline were both pretty bad today. Refs were bad too. Above all though, I was more impressed by the Giants than anything.

I'm generally in agreement with this. I was very disappointed with Roman's game plan. I am hopeful they'll get it figured out, though.

On your second point, everyone needs to take that into account much more than they are. The Giants are a solid team. They are going to be contending for their division. That team is no pushover.

We're 2-2 everyone. Chill. If we are 2-4, that's a good time to be concerned.

I think their problems are between their ears. They have a great game. Then they slack off. They need to learn how to play at a high level the majority of the time. Most of all, eliminate the crucial mistakes and there where plenty of those that weren't penalties. If they played a clean game(minimal mistakes) they would be hard to beat. The talent is there.

Phantom holding on Urbik on Tyrod's td. Also, isn't a chop block when somebody goes after a player's knees? Incognito hit the guy on the hip, it's called double team. Two touchdowns lost on questionable penalties.

Bradham should've dropped that guy in his tracks.

The offense never got rolling till the second half. When the Giants got their pick, I don't know how that guy wasn't out of bounds. His back was out of bounds when he got possession of the ball.

The penalty on Preston Brown was weak. There was a scrum and he was standing up to get out of it. Gave them 15, then Hughes probably yelled at the ref and got another 15. Later on, O'Dell was jacking around with Preston Brown, and he reacted, and got called. first and goal.

The refs sucked.

Thats the funny thing, if that was a WR making the catch I bet they rule it Out of Bounds. It crazy how many catches get ruled out of bounds for a WR being close to the white, yet that one was good because it was an INT..

Oline was bad today but mostly incognito (who had a meltdown) and did we even have a right tackle? Giants otherwise crappy pass rush was flying off the right edge all day

Hughes is a jerk

As much as I'd like to pin it on Taylor I cannot. The weak oline play, fumble by woods, etc, were not his fault.

Stating the obvious but a horrific lack of discipline by many players, which of course starts with the coaches. Had to feel sorry for some of the more composed players like Kyle and Taylor for how the penalties kept killing us

Way too easy to move the ball by running it up the middle on us

Horrible missed tackle by bradham on Jennings ....biggest play of the game IMO

Given lack of discipline from the coaches we need a take charge kind of QB in the huddle. But I don't see one on our roster.

unfortunately I think thats what Cassel was supposed to be here, or atleast what they were looking for when they trade to get him

Hey B from NYC.

For 2-3 years you gave your opinion about Gilmore...This year you loved the boy. Today he had a horrible game. No mention of him? nothing? What gives?

No he didn't. He allowed a few completions, sure, but so many players had a worse game. Gilmore had a great second half too. He helped keep us in it.

I was at the game TT did not play bad ---dropped passes , poor routes , and the list went on. I think his numbers were 278 yards, 2 td, 1 pick and he ran one in that was called back for a hold. The problem lays directly with Rex

Your correct, he didn't play bad and it wasn't the QB play that cost them, the person you are responding to has a crusade against Taylor it seems