A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

The biggest problem with this team right now is that the coaches and players believe in themselves to such an unreasonably high degree that they think if they simply show up at the ballpark on Sunday, it's 90% in the bag. They don't have to prepare, they don't have to play smart and technically sound football, all they have to do is show up and things will take care of themselves.

Rex is the source of this destructive narcissism. He believes in his own abilities so strongly that he can't or won't invest the time needed to manage the finer details of the game of football.

It got him fired in New York and it might get him fired here.

Best summary I've seen yet.

After a game I close my eyes, clear my mind, and try to figure out the "story" of the game and why we won or lost. All I could think about was that we were the better team and we came out there unprepared. We got outblocked in the run game and kept making dumb mistakes at inopportune times. I'm not one to blame the coach usually, but I think this ones on Rex.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex Ryan defense not working right now. Against Brady and Manning not even close to good enough. They will feast on crappy QB's. Could it be too complicated or players not ready in it yet?

Greg Roman really lost the game by running the same inside run on first down for the entire first half. Let Tyrod go downfield and let's throw on 1st down way more.

Injuries mounting. We have way too many guys out this early in the year.

Anger on players has to be controlled. I would have liked to see our linebackers make a tackle or two up the middle.

Let's also give Giants credit. Manning and Coughlin have won 2 Superbowls. We aren't beating guys like that with crappy play like we saw today.

Yep. Karlos is no threat to run outside, and they stuffed him repeatedly going up the middle, but the Bills insisted on "establishing the run".

The game totally had the feel of a Coughlin game. Boring, with few penalties, and field position emphasized. They controlled the tempo, and the Bills gameplan fit right into what the Giants wanted them to do.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Blowout win, bad game, blowout win, bad game. I'm seeing a pattern.

I watched the All-22 of the Giants during the week. I thought the only way they can beat us is if Eli throws the short timing routes and we don't defend them. Well that's exactly what happened the 1st half just long enough to fall into a 16-3 hole. What the f*ck is Ryan and Thurman thinking after the Pats game? Do they not know that the Giants are going to throw short timing slants? I'm an amateur observer and I figured it out.

Does anyone besides me miss Jim Schwartz? What is up with the D linemen who led the league in pass rushing last year dropping into pass coverage?

Tyrod Taylor was playing in his 4th NFL game as the starting QB, and I have to ask what happened to the Buffalo run game? You know, the run game that was supposed to lead the NFL in rushing with a run game play book bigger then any other run game play book in the history of the NFL?

24 rushes for 55 yards = a 2.4 yards per rush is embarrassing. then playing from behind Buffalo had to throw 48 times

Rex Ryan is starting to look like the Bills *hired the wrong guy.

They were no threat to run outside with Karlos (they tried and failed, badly). Without McCoy to test the outside, and Watkins to pull defenders away from the line a bit, well....they sucked.

The Bills would be smart to find a RB with some speed, while McCoy is out. Even a one trick free agent (or try to trade Robert Woods. He is nothing special, and not even as good as Hogan).

Edited by HoF Watkins

Blowout win, bad game, blowout win, bad game. I'm seeing a pattern.

I watched the All-22 of the Giants during the week. I thought the only way they can beat us is if Eli throws the short timing routes and we don't defend them. Well that's exactly what happened the 1st half just long enough to fall into a 16-3 hole. What the f*ck is Ryan and Thurman thinking after the Pats game? Do they not know that the Giants are going to throw short timing slants? I'm an amateur observer and I figured it out.

It's the most.similar style.offense to NEs, and we lost twice to it. But still no help from our own offense keeping them off the field

Does anyone besides me miss Jim Schwartz? What is up with the D linemen who led the league in pass rushing last year dropping into pass coverage?

Tyrod Taylor was playing in his 4th NFL game as the starting QB, and I have to ask what happened to the Buffalo run game? You know, the run game that was supposed to lead the NFL in rushing with a run game play book bigger then any other run game play book in the history of the NFL?

24 rushes for 55 yards = a 2.4 yards per rush is embarrassing. then playing from behind Buffalo had to throw 48 times

I also like the Schwartz defense better. When we get as few sacks as we have been getting, especially when compared to last year, something is not right.

Oddly Miami has two studs in there line and their productions is down. They had the guy from the Canadian league, I think his name is Charles and then they add Suh. They should be a terror but at this rate Charles will have more sacks last year then the entire Fin team this year.

It's the most.similar style.offense to NEs, and we lost twice to it. But still no help from our own offense keeping them off the field

The defense struggled, but the offense lost this game. It was NOTHING LIKE the Patriots game. The Giants were held to 16 point for most of the game, but the Bills offense was stonewalled.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Asking an NFL player to do something he is not good at or even unable to do is the way to lose games.

Dropping the defensive line players into pass coverage is completely idiotic when those four were such a terror last year, led the NFL in sacks, and no team wanted to face them.

What is going on with Dennis Thurman and the defensive game plans?

The defense struggled, but the offense lost this game. It was NOTHING LIKE the Patriots game. The Giants were held to 16 point for most of the game, but the Bills offense was stonewalled.

For the most part true, but the defense never made any big game changing plays to take the game over. Like brady , eli was barely touched. And the 50+ yard TD by Jennings with not one, but two, missed tackles was inexcusable.

I'm glad I didn't drink during the game. This would have been infuriating and depressing. As is, it was just a bummer.

We're not as good as we thought after last week, but I think we're better than it feels right now. It's still early. The talent's there. It's just a matter of whether they can clean it up and put it together consistently.

The thing I noticed about the defensive line that I hated was they were NOT attacking the LOS. They seemed to be sitting back. Isn't the whole point of a Rex Ryan defense to attack the LOS and create mismatches? We are getting the worst of both worlds.

We need to get this straightened out now.

I'm glad I didn't drink during the game. This would have been infuriating and depressing. As is, it was just a bummer.

We're not as good as we thought after last week, but I think we're better than it feels right now. It's still early. The talent's there. It's just a matter of whether they can clean it up and put it together consistently.

Agree. Good teams lose games. The Giants are not as bad as people tried to make them. We just need to keep improving because it's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Taylor looks good despite the bad start to the game. We need to attack on both sides of the ball next week.

Taylor looks good despite the bad start to the game. We need to attack on both sides of the ball next week.

Taylor did look good in the 2nd half. He was overthinking in the 1st half. Started using his feet in the 2nd.

I think he did enough for us to win today.

I didn't like the offensive gameplan going into this game. Unlike other games, we were too conservative and predictable on early downs. When we had to pass and convert the 1st down, TT threw the ball short of the 1st down marker. This was throughout the entire 1st half.

Regarding TT's play, he was bad in this game. His accuracy was off on many passes.

Penalties were a big problem, again. I know we sucked today by the refs suck so hard too at times.

ST play was very poor, the Giants were all over our guys today.

Defensively, I wish they could keep it single. It's like we try to outsmart ourselves. Keep it simple and be the "bully" you claim we are.

at least 7 first downs or more given to the Giants by penalties on Buffalo!! 17 penalties on Buffalo is just downright ridiculous!!

I don't know what part of this game is more of an embarrassment?

The penalties!

Or the lack of a run game when this team was supposed to lead the NFL in rushing!

Or the defensive scheme that is dropping elite highly paid pass rushers into pass coverage!

Or perhaps the HC and his big mouth saying after the game he is proud of his team :doh:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/04/rex-im-proud-of-how-bills-played-on-sunday/

Why no one is calling on the dumb play in the fumble by Woods, he isn't going to score from the 30

Because compared to the Rashad Jennings play where half the defense was just standing around, at least Robert Woods was trying to make a play. I'm far more concerned with his inability to separate than a fumble that occurred when he was trying to spark his team (after the whistle should've blown the play dead).

The thing I noticed about the defensive line that I hated was they were NOT attacking the LOS. They seemed to be sitting back. Isn't the whole point of a Rex Ryan defense to attack the LOS and create mismatches? We are getting the worst of both worlds.

We need to get this straightened out now.

Agree. Good teams lose games. The Giants are not as bad as people tried to make them. We just need to keep improving because it's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Amen...well said. :thumbsup:

And with that said...while the poster Jeff was responding to mentioned that he didn't drink during the game, I also did not drink during the game, but am now treating myself to a Crown Royal Manhattan (or three).

Think of it as...rethinking my game plan. :lol:

Edited by Sabesfan71

I didn't like the offensive gameplan going into this game. Unlike other games, we were too conservative and predictable on early downs. When we had to pass and convert the 1st down, TT threw the ball short of the 1st down marker. This was throughout the entire 1st half.

Regarding TT's play, he was bad in this game. His accuracy was off on many passes.

Penalties were a big problem, again. I know we sucked today by the refs suck so hard too at times.

ST play was very poor, the Giants were all over our guys today.

Defensively, I wish they could keep it single. It's like we try to outsmart ourselves. Keep it simple and be the "bully" you claim we are.

Good point on special teams. That was one area going into game giants had an advantage on us. And it showed today

Right. The D was pretty good today save the one horrible lapse on the low rent pass for a 51 yd TD. They also got lucky on a huge gainer that could have broken their back not for a penalty on NYG. By and large though, the ridiculously ineffective offense ( esp in the 1st half ) lost this game. A completed pass was a struggle and their best play of half might have been a NYG penalty. Defensively, bottom line is OBJ didn't come close to killing you, and that = a pretty good day vs Giants.

Right. The D was pretty good today save the one horrible lapse on the low rent pass for a 51 yd TD. They also got lucky on a huge gainer that could have broken their back not for a penalty on NYG. By and large though, the ridiculously ineffective offense ( esp in the 1st half ) lost this game. A completed pass was a struggle and their best play of half might have been a NYG penalty. Defensively, bottom line is OBJ didn't come close to killing you, and that = a pretty good day vs Giants.

Even then, it was coming away with 0 on two red zone drives that ruined us. How is it possible to come away with 0 without a turnover? Just a disaster.

Or the lack of a run game when this team was supposed to lead the NFL in rushing!

I think FOX showed a stat at the beginning of the game the the giants were #2 in the league at defending the run. Also our run game up to that point also included shady and sammy. While they weren't 100% they are still bodies that MUST be accounted for by the defense.

Also, WAY WAY too many runs on first downs.

In regards to the D line, I think Rex is way overscheming.

THIS.

The sign of Ryan being a good coach will be when he radically changes what he is doing and doesn't continue to force his philosophy on the players. He needs to modify his philosophy in relation to the players. He hasn't done that.

Our offensive line is horrible, and Wood is a part of that.

Our first pick next year in the draft must be a stud OL.

#17 Jim Schwartz where art thou?

Never mind I just Googled that. He's got some consulting job with the officials. Hmmm, might that be related to the uptick in the Bills penalties this season? A little pay back at Rex?

For the geniuses that think Watkins and Mcoy aren't valueable, watch the first half again.

thanks but no. it was frustrating enough the first time

The Patriots were scoring practically every time they had the ball for the first 3 Quarters. The defense kept the score low for most of this game, (and the Giants had pretty good drive starts), but without anything out of the offense the game eventually got away.

True, but in classic Bills' fashion, when the team needed a big stop the D let them score a TD. It's been this same recipe for a decade now.

Did I call for Rex to be fired? Why don't you continue to "refrain" from any response at all? Maybe the thread will survive on its own sans your poignant input. At least its possible.

It's amazing what some people read into #9, isn't it Bill.

Kyle lining up at DE just about made me blow a gasket. And then Thigpen constantly catching it on the 8 and 9 yard line kinda trumped that. And of course there is 8 men in the box and we try to run--all damn game long. It was so grose we left with 8 minutes left. The same garbage that Rex did in NY he is doing here. He os a crap head coach. And your right ive always said Woods is a lousy center and well Urbik is a freakin turnstyle. Goodwin is still out with bruised ribs from the third, yes third pre season game and ive had enough of Sammys ****. Damn this team cant get it right.

8 men in the box & we try running it, again and again. Reminds me of the Jauron years.

Just saw the Kyle Williams post game interview on the bills site. Bills let the crappy reffing get in their heads. Williams still fumiing about the refs without calling them out directly. He said Preston Brown penalty was nonsense as he was trying to get the football.

Williams also implied that the Bills reputation has refs looking for anything and they can only get out of this by being "choir boys".

No, you're not the only one. I was starting to ask friends about that after game 2. But, who knows, the season is still young yet.

If Bradham can make a tackle on Jennings, we might have a different result from today's game.

that was the play of the game . . . for all the wording reasons. he should have had him, and then the Giants are punting on 4th down

The terrible play calls in the non-scoring red-zone trip (the 2nd one) are an admission of the one weakness of a 6 foot tall QB, they cannot hit the quick slants that you need in that territory—the bodies in front of them are just too big. So the solution is run him outside and hope you can free somebody up, but of course, that didn't happen.

It won't go away—he is going to stay undersized, and in this circumstance, that is a big liability.

Just saw the Kyle Williams post game interview on the bills site. Bills let the crappy reffing get in their heads. Williams still fumiing about the refs without calling them out directly. He said Preston Brown penalty was nonsense as he was trying to get the football.

Williams also implied that the Bills reputation has refs looking for anything and they can only get out of this by being "choir boys".

He and everyone else can nitpick some calls and complain all they want , but the bottom line is the giants looked the far more disciplined team out there. Edited by JTSP