Bills Trade Cassel to Cowboys

26CornerBlitz

If you don't think that getting a 5th for Cassel is a good deal, you are WOEFULLY misinformed about the general draft pick trade value for players.

Only a team in desperate QB need would even remotely consider giving up a 5th for him. The Bills got MAXIMUM value.

I'm fine with the 5th. I just don't understand why we had to give them Cassel AND a 7th for the 5th.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope Cassel can meet the conditions for the Bills to receive a 5th rd pick. Have not seen the fine print yet.

Considering he was cut by the Bills before start of season and no team signed him was a good deal for Buffalo.

Good players walk away FAs all the time for nothing in return.

Well done Doug Whaley :thumbsup:

Are there conditions to this? Sounds like a straight up Cassell & 2017 7th rounder for Cowboys 2017 5th rounder.

Hope Cassel can meet the conditions for the Bills to receive a 5th rd pick. Have not seen the fine print yet.

Considering he was cut by the Bills before start of season and no team signed him was a good deal for Buffalo.

Are there conditions to this? Sounds like a straight up Cassell & 2017 7th rounder for Cowboys 2017 5th rounder.

@JasonLaCanfora: The Bills will receive a conditional 2017 draft pick from the Cowboys for back-up QB Matt Cassel.

I hope its a straight up trade

On the face of it, this trade makes little sense. Given that the 5th we're getting is two years from now, Cassel alone should have been plenty. Why would we have to also cough up a 7th? I hope the early reports are wrong, because Cassel and a 7th for a 5th two years from now does not seem like a good trade.

Cowboys don't have a 5th or 6th next year. So we waited for the next one available. Good deal for dead weight, especially if he's miffed about Tyrod getting the job. Cant teach an old dog new tricks.

Why are any of you acting like Matt Cassel was gonna make a positive impact on this team? Not a big loss IMO. 7th into 5th is a win.

I'm fine with the 5th. I just don't understand why we had to give them Cassel AND a 7th for the 5th.

The 7th in 2 years is worth near literally nothing. If that's hanging you up you must not sleep at night when you see people not bend over to pick up a penny on the sidewalk

Bills 5th round draft selections going back to 2000:

Karlos Williams

Cyril Richardson

Jonathan Meeks

Zebrie Sanders

Tank Carder

Johnny White

Ed Wang

Nic Harris

Alvin Bowen

KYLE WILLIAMS

Brad Butler

Eric King

Ben Sobieski

Justin Bannan

Marques Sullivan

Sammy Morris

Karlos Williams

Cyril Richardson

Jonathan Meeks

Zebrie Sanders

Tank Carder

Johnny White

Ed Wang

Nic Harris

Alvin Bowen

KYLE WILLIAMS

Brad Butler

Eric King

Ben Sobieski

Justin Bannan

Marques Sullivan

Sammy Morris

i thought Duke was in the 5th and Meeks in the 6th in 2013. Fwiw.

Karlos Williams

Cyril Richardson

Jonathan Meeks

Zebrie Sanders

Tank Carder

Johnny White

Ed Wang

Nic Harris

Alvin Bowen

KYLE WILLIAMS

Brad Butler

Eric King

Ben Sobieski

Justin Bannan

Marques Sullivan

Sammy Morris

Not a bad list. Morris, Bannan, Butler were major contributors. Kyle Williams is All Pro. The book is still out on Karlos, Meeks, Richardson.

i don't think there are any conditions. It's a 5th in 2017.

i am guessing that it is so they have something tangible from the trade after this season. They don't even expect Cassel to play. They are signing him to back up Weeden for 2 months. If no one gets hurt he will be cut after that. If Weeden gets hurt he's gone in February. That's too little ROI for a 5th round pick in any year. Edited by YoloinOhio

I've heard more than once, admittedly on this board(and probably in this thread) that Manuel WAS the #2 QB and that in case TT got hurt, Cassell was going in to finish the game and that if need be EJ would be the next game starter...anyone know the real story behind the QB depth up until yesterday?

Poor, poor Vic.

He's had some of the most negative takes on Taylor's play from Sunday, and he just still can't get over "his boy" Cassel being traded.

Wow. So it WAS Cassel who gave the P*A*T*S* his playbook.

Justice is swift at OBD! Farewell Benedict Cassel.

Ha - that's the first thing I thought - now the Pats** won't have our gameplan the next time we play them :P

oh sure, you take Yolo's word for it, but throw JasonLaCanfora in my face when I say the same thing....FINE!!!! Be that way... :cry:

B-)

Yolo is only the gold standard for news , but now Poojer is right up there :thumbsup: I thought a 5th was too good to be true .

After listening to Cassell talk about why he took the pay cut in Buffalo....his wife was 8 months with child.....and he wanted to stay as a move wasn't in the best interests of his family, and that he had a number of calls when he was a free agent. So, he signs for a lot less money......and then Whaley trades him to Dallas. Now, it crosses my mind, that he just might refuse to report, stay in Buffalo with his wife to have the child...and resume his career next season. And, were I him, I would feel that Whaley treated him poorly in this situation as the series of events played out. So, if he is vindictive, and has made enough money (11 years in the league as a QB, yes he is a millionaire many times over), he might also stay out of football the rest of the season to spite Whaley (and the Bills)....and they won't get the 5th round choice. So, imho, I am wondering if he will report to Dallas at all. At the very least, he might hold out for a restoration of salary to its prior level. Going to watch this one...not sure we have heard the last of this situation.

After listening to Cassell talk about why he took the pay cut in Buffalo....his wife was 8 months with child.....and he wanted to stay as a move wasn't in the best interests of his family, and that he had a number of calls when he was a free agent. So, he signs for a lot less money......and then Whaley trades him to Dallas. Now, it crosses my mind, that he just might refuse to report, stay in Buffalo with his wife to have the child...and resume his career next season. And, were I him, I would feel that Whaley treated him poorly in this situation as the series of events played out. So, if he is vindictive, and has made enough money (11 years in the league as a QB, yes he is a millionaire many times over), he might also stay out of football the rest of the season to spite Whaley (and the Bills)....and they won't get the 5th round choice. So, imho, I am wondering if he will report to Dallas at all. At the very least, he might hold out for a restoration of salary to its prior level. Going to watch this one...not sure we have heard the last of this situation.

I don't know... at the time he was cut, he had a choice, and made that choice based on family. Plus he may have made more $ in Buffalo than the other teams who had interest, we don't know what they were offering. But you don't always have a choice in the NFL, you can be traded at any time unless you have a no-trade clause. Players understand this. It comes with the territory of being an NFL player. I feel bad for his family situation too, but Whaley made the trade because his responsibility is managing the assets of a football team.

Edited by YoloinOhio

At the end of the day, it is not the biggest deal in the world, but I would have thought that the Bills would have gotten a 5th in 2016 straight up. Instead (according to reports):

Cowboys get Cassel

No compensation either way

Bills essentially move up two late rounds (approximately 60 late round picks) to Cowboys 5th round pick in exchange for our 7th round pick.

Given the very limited compensation that we will receive in a year and one-half, was it worthwhile even making this deal from the Bills' perspective? Would we have been better off keeping a veteran QB as a back up and a low salary?

Was there something else going on?

Edited by Peter

At the end of the day, it is not the biggest deal in the world, but I would have thought that the Bills would have gotten a 5th in 2016 straight up. Instead:

Cowboys get Cassel

Bills essentially move up two rounds (approximately 60 late round picks).

Given the very limited compensation that we will receive in a year and one-half, was it worthwhile even making this deal from the Bills' perspective? Would we have been better off keeping a veteran QB as a back up and a low salary?

you also save money, which is nice. and a roster spot. and get the 60 spots in the draft later.

in 2015 the bills will get some player that they are about to sign.

Edited by NoSaint

At the end of the day, it is not the biggest deal in the world, but I would have thought that the Bills would have gotten a 5th in 2016 straight up. Instead:

Cowboys get Cassel

Bills essentially move up two rounds (approximately 60 late round picks).

I don't think he would have been worth a 2016 5th. He's coming in as their 3rd QB, essentially, and is a FA at the end of the season. They may only have him for 2 months before Romo comes back. The Bills got what they could.

As far as 2015, they did have a vet QB here for about 7 months, through OTAs and TC, and 2 weeks of the season, which could only help the young QBs who remain.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This is a shrewd business, Rhino skin is needed to work for the NFL.

Not reporting is career suicide, he will report and I wouldn't be surprised if he plays in the playoffs before we do.

Imo

i am guessing that it is so they have something tangible from the trade after this season. They don't even expect Cassel to play. They are signing him to back up Weeden for 2 months. If no one gets hurt he will be cut after that. If Weeden gets hurt he's gone in February. That's too little ROI for a 5th round pick in any year.

Thank you for 'splainin' that Luthy, makes sense. In those terms, Cassel's worth = lower than whale **** in the bottom of the ocean.

No doubt about it, Whaley is a dick. But he's our dick.

I think it's stupid to unload Cassel! We may need him!!! If and when TT goee down, I think Matt had the experience to not get us in trouble! AND, all we got were 2017 draft picks. How about something now????

Trade makes perfect sense. Rex has control over the game-day roster and didn't feel EJ was worthy of dressing. OTOH, Whaley's rep hangs in the balance (he hasn't been re-signed) and much of that is related to the Manuel selection. Of course "Trader Doug" has no qualms trading the veteran QB to essentially a super-rookie starter. And so now Manuel gets to dress.

Which means if Taylor struggles, Manuel's the only option left.

At the end of the day, it is not the biggest deal in the world, but I would have thought that the Bills would have gotten a 5th in 2016 straight up.

Dallas was the team in immediate need of a QB and they didn't have a 2016 5th round to give. They traded it for Brice Butler.

Trade makes perfect sense. Rex has control over the game-day roster and didn't feel EJ was worthy of dressing. OTOH, Whaley's rep hangs in the balance (he hasn't been re-signed) and much of that is related to the Manuel selection. Of course "Trader Doug" has no qualms trading the veteran QB to essentially a super-rookie starter. And so now Manuel gets to dress.

Which means if Taylor struggles, Manuel's the only option left.

When I read your posts, I always think of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_realism

I think he will move to Dallas . Hire a cute illegal nanny and housekeeper to help out his wife.

Orton walking away from big money is still a mystery to me.