Rex Ryan - The mouth that roared

Freddie's Dead

Why can't Rex just shut up and coach??! Is that too difficult?! We got a great roster and I believe that Rex has great defensive schemes but what good is all of that if they can't have self control and discipline?? I don't want this team/us to be known as a bunch of loudmouths full of hot air. I want the Bills to be a well oiled machine that is well coached, kind of like, well, kind of like the Patriots!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly this week Rex Ryan looked a lot like the Rex Ryan of last years Jets team.

What was all this talk about Rex saying that this is the most talent he has ever had on defense, and yet allowed they 446 yards passing.

Right now Buffalo is 28th in total defense, and 31st in pass defense. So much for that #4 overall defense from last year.

To the fans that think what Ryan says doesn't matter. Of course it matters as it MOTIVATES the opposing team!!

I could post this in any number of threads, but boy is this a depressing place to be when the Bills lose. We have a lot of posters (Debbie Downers) who seem to have waited for a loss to post things that fit their own narrative.

I have always thought that guys like Sully post under other names on this site to wind people up with their own narrative. I still think that is true. Nevertheless, there seems to be plenty of others who love the negativity. Maybe that is why Sully, Bucky, Harrington et al still have a job.

I probably need to take a step back from here and not read TBN for a few days (although I am not sure I will be successful at that).

I am still bullish on the Bills and Rex (as well as ownership). The outcome did not go the way we wanted. We do not have Tom Brady as QB (there really are only a handful of elite QBs). Yet, notwithstanding some of the BS penalties (that killed drives or gave us horrible drive starts), fans leaving early, and the emotions after Aaron Williams was hurt, the team kept on fighting and was one drive away from tying the score.

It is only September 20th and we have 14 more games to play. I am going to focus on the positives, look forward to the rest of the season with these players, Rex, and the rest of the coaching staff.

P.S. I am still amazed at just how many people left the stadium early -- really early. It would have been nice to have a full house when the Patriots were on their last drive and ended up scoring their last field goal. It was very odd that so many people left. Those that left bought their tickets and have every right to leave whenever they want. I was really hoping that the Bills would have tied it at the end mostly because I wanted to beat the Pats so badly, but also so that another group of people who gave up on the team would have felt like those that left the comeback game against the Oilers early. I am not going to give up on this team. Again, you spent your money and certainly can do whatever you want.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter

I surely am not calling for Ryan's head or faulting his colorful press conferences. However, it is worth objectively pointing out that:

- For the second week in a row we had way too many penalties. Indiscipline

- The team was not ready for the Pats*, especially on Defense. Every time I saw that slant pass, I cringed. We are STILL getting burnt by that ? Unprepared

Both these aspects fall on coaching.

I presume you believe that it was a well officiated game.

Sadly, i believe that the officiating was basically fair, and that the bills caught a couple of breaks on late hits that weren't called. plus there was a 30 yard pass to gronk that was interfered with by hughes but wasn't called. The bills are a wildly indisciplined team right now.

Yes. Didn't you hear? We should have won the Super Bowl by now. I can't believe we're two games in and the season is over already!!!

Damn you, Rex.

Listen to LA Bills.. He's the voice of reason... Its only game 2 in the season... Sober up bros...

Jeez, this board is batschitt crazy after a loss.

Sadly, i believe that the officiating was basically fair, and that the bills caught a couple of breaks on late hits that weren't called. plus there was a 30 yard pass to gronk that was interfered with by hughes but wasn't called. The bills are a wildly indisciplined team right now.

I guess we will agree to disagree.

I thought that the refs had one standard for the Bills and another for the Pats. I am not taking anything away from the Pats. They are a great team with a great coach and QB. I just would love to have a fighting chance to play them without (what I thought) were BS calls against the Bills.

I guess we will agree to disagree.

I thought that the refs had one standard for the Bills and another for the Pats. I am not taking anything away from the Pats. They are a great team with a great coach and QB. I just would love to have a fighting chance to play them without (what I thought) were BS calls against the Bills.

I try not to be a homer about officiating, and i thought the refs went easy on the bills given all of the late hits etc. the bottom line is that they are out of control right now, and that is coaching.

Penalties are coaching. And averaging 13 penalties a game is coaching.

Right. I'm sure the coaches are telling guys to commit personal fouls whenever the opportunity arises. Aren't the players responsible for those? And that is assuming they are legitimate PF's , which seems in doubt. We never saw a replay on those. One replay they did show was 91 taking a shot at TT after he clearly started to slide. Guess what? The Refs picked that up after 91 told the official he didn't mean to do it. They also threw a flag on Watkins because the Pats DB fell down and then made a gesture at the official that SW pushed off. The replay clearly showed he simply slipped while trying to change direction. Now, procedure penalties seem to indicate unpreparedness. I'm more concerned with the phantom calls and Ricky tack PFs that are lategely overlooked when teams the refs perceive to be " good" like NE , commit them. 59 passes without an offensive hold called seems borderline impossible. I'd say close to half of our accepted penalties this season have been borderline or phantom in nature .

Right. I'm sure the coaches are telling guys to commit personal fouls whenever the opportunity arises. Aren't the players responsible for those? And that is assuming they are legitimate PF's , which seems in doubt. We never saw a replay on those. One replay they did show was 91 taking a shot at TT after he clearly started to slide. Guess what? The Refs picked that up after 91 told the official he didn't mean to do it. They also threw a flag on Watkins because the Pats DB fell down and then made a gesture at the official that SW pushed off. The replay clearly showed he simply slipped while trying to change direction. Now, procedure penalties seem to indicate unpreparedness. I'm more concerned with the phantom calls and Ricky tack PFs that are lategely overlooked when teams the refs perceive to be " good" like NE , commit them. 59 passes without an offensive hold called seems borderline impossible. I'd say close to half of our accepted penalties this season have been borderline or phantom in nature .

All of those were VERY frustrating. When they picked that flag up after the hit on TT, I could not help but think back to last week. Throwing a flag on Sammy when it was obvious to anyone that the QB slipped (it was not even close) is another example of a horrible call. The fact that CBS could not even find (or was willing to show) replays of the killer penalties at the beginning of the game frustrated to me to no end.

I am afraid to look at the All 22 because I may just get more upset about the phantom penalties against us and non calls on the Pats.

All of those were VERY frustrating. When they picked that flag up after the hit on TT, I could not help but think back to last week. Throwing a flag on Sammy when it was obvious to anyone that the QB slipped (it was not even close) is another example of a horrible call. The fact that CBS could not even find (or was willing to show) replays of the killer penalties at the beginning of the game frustrated to me to no end.

I am afraid to look at the All 22 because I may just get more upset about the phantom penalties against us and non calls on the Pats.

It was the right call to pick up the flag on the taylor hit - it was by the book. The watkins one was borderline and probably shouldn't have been called, but i can think of three mor egregious plays by the bills that weren't called that should have been. And as for who is to blame, the coaches shouldn't be adding to the penalty total by riding the refs.

Coaches create a mindset. They also can bench players who are out of control. That is not happening on the bills right now.

It was the right call to pick up the flag on the taylor hit - it was by the book. The watkins one was borderline and probably shouldn't have been called, but i can think of three mor egregious plays by the bills that weren't called that should have been. And as for who is to blame, the coaches shouldn't be adding to the penalty total by riding the refs.

Coaches create a mindset. They also can bench players who are out of control. That is not happening on the bills right now.

If it was the right call in this game, it was the wrong call last week (especially after Luck did his fake slide). On the other hand, if it was the right call last week, it was the wrong call on Sunday.

As for the Watkins flag, I totally disagree. It was not close at all. The guy slipped pure an simple.

Aaron Williams was benched for part of the game.

Gotta give it up to Rex Ryan. The master motivator was brilliant, getting the team ready to play on Sunday. Unfortunately, the team he got ready was the New England Cheatriots. Next time Rex, how about praying at St. Fu and SHUT THE !@#$ UP?

I like Rex but talking smack always gets the other team fired up, what he needs to do is talk about how awesome the other team is how if we are lucky we can win

The reason the Bills got beat had nothing to do with how much or how little our HC said in the preceding week. You seem to have forgotten all of our previous coaches who have paid homage to the Patriots. That had no effect on those losses either.

P.S. In his press conferences during the past week, Rex showed a lot of respect to the Pats. His main point was that we were not going to be intimidated. I see nothing wrong with that. Why wouldn't a coach want his team to believe that they could win against the Pats or any other team.

As the great Chuck Dickerson once said, "He's all talk and no a$$". Seriously, the team has no apprehension to commiting stupid penalties... No discipline, just like his former players said. I want to like him but part of a good system is discipline along with structure. The cheatriots have it and we can't win sh!t without it. We are now the jets

As the great Chuck Dickerson once said, "He's all talk and no a$$". Seriously, the team has no apprehension to commiting stupid penalties... No discipline, just like his former players said. I want to like him but part of a good system is discipline along with structure. The cheatriots have it and we can't win **** without it. We are now the jets

Of the penalties that were called, which ones were both legitimate and stupid?

Umm, how was it the right call to pick up the flag when 91 hit TT so clearly after he began to slide? And how was the Watkins OI " borderline" ? SW never touched the DB , it was totally phantom and thrown only due to a NE player lobbying for it. I'm sure there were things not called against the Bills, but there were far more not called against NE . The " mindset" created by NE coaches is " if you don't make the play, make a gesture to the official for a flag". This is true on D and by the WRs whenever they don't catch a ball. They are thought of as a " good team" by the refs so they almost always get the benefit of the doubt. The Bills are thought of as a " bad" team ie no franchise QB, so they must have committed a penalty because they aren't that good. A lot of " good teams" like Sea and NE commit a lot of penalties. They just get away with them, and the refs throw flags on them in relatively inconsequential situations ( big lead, after extra point attempts etc) to " even it out " on the stat sheet for their grades. This was blatantly in view today. Picking up a flag on a hit on the sliding QB is a total joke. It wasn't even close to simultaneous.

Ryan ain't changing. His post-game presser is classic meltdown mode. He still doesn't know his name. Let me help you. DION LEWIS. The only thing missing from this presser is "They are who we thought they were."

Of course Rex knows who Dion Lewis is. The point is that Dion Lewis was not, is not, and will not be the focal point of their offense.

Also, to be fair, as much as some like to complain about Rex and his style, Rex took all of the blame and credited Belichick and Brady. We can debate whether just how much "blame" Rex deserves, but Rex does a good job of accepting the heat.

Of course Rex knows who Dion Lewis is. The point is that Dion Lewis was not, is not, and will not be the focal point of their offense.

Also, to be fair, as much as some like to complain about Rex and his style, Rex took all of the blame and credited Belichick and Brady. We can debate whether just how much "blame" Rex deserves, but Rex does a good job of accepting the heat.

On the whole, I like Rex's style when he backs it up like week 1. His style sucks when we get humiliated at home yet again by the Cheats.

the bills lost because of Brady's brilliance. he gets the ball out fast and right on the money.

rex flapping his gums to the media did not contribute to the loss. his apparent lack of placing enough importance on eliminating undisciplined mental mistakes did. in new England, dummies get cut.

If it was the right call in this game, it was the wrong call last week (especially after Luck did his fake slide). On the other hand, if it was the right call last week, it was the wrong call on Sunday.

As for the Watkins flag, I totally disagree. It was not close at all. The guy slipped pure an simple.

Aaron Williams was benched for part of the game.

After watkins gave him a subtle push. I don't think a flag should have been called on that one.

As for the hit on taylor, come on - take off the homer blinders. The defender committed right before the decision to slide. Tha's almost never a penalty, nor should it be.

I'll let Kyle Williams have the last word, "There's a difference between coming out ready to go, fired up ready to play and coming out and being totally without poise, without focus and a lot of stupid idiotic stuff. That plays right into their hands. If you have no poise, no focus, you get caught up in all the BS, that's what they do."

Relax everyone.

D - Our D played bad - yes. But lets keep in mind our special teams / penalties gave NE the ball with short field 2 times in a row in the first half.

TT - Didnt have the best game but its his second start and there was still hope in the remaining seconds. The 2 (out of 3 ints) were high balls but hit the hands of the WR and are not squarely on TT shoulders. Wakins is a pro that's a 50/50 fault. There was a chance to battle back and win in OT.

Rex - At least he has some passion. Dont act like his mouth caused our lost. There was way more than his mouth that fuelied the fire. Who pasted all the bill boards around buffalo?

Team - Looking at it from a whole, it was a team lost. D played bad, penalties killed us, the coaching decisions weren't the best, we missed an extra point, and the offense had picks (not just TT). But after all those mistakes, we were one drive from going to OT. There is a lot of be hopeful here.

Edited by BaltimoreFanBills

Maybe you people would want him to kiss Bill's rings.

Amen. Let Rex be Rex. He's going to be, anyhow.

The game sucked, but it's just one game. And they could have quit down 37-13 in the fourth, but showed a lot of guts and never gave up.

They'll get better. Think of it this way: we just lost to the defending SB champs. The Dolphins lost to the Jaguars.

I take back everything I've said about you. Almost. :nana:

Perhaps I'm overreacting to the beatdown. Perhaps I'm overreacting to being a national laughingstock yet again. Perhaps I'm overreacting to how the Bills found yet another more humiliating way to lose to the Cheats than the last time. All I saw all week long was Rex Ryan running his mouth. He must have had 10 national interviews this week. I saw his face and heard him yapping for hours on every pre-game show. I read the stories in the NE press about how Rex was running his mouth. Tomorrow the stories in NE will all be about same old Bills and how this franchise is still a joke. I'm sick of it. All I want is a coach that can have a team ready to play the Pats without the out of control emotion, and a coach that would be worthy to hold the Hoodie's clipboard. We still have neither. I'm sure we'll beat the rest of the AFC east. But we're still the Cheats' B word, and Ryan was supposed to stop that.

Over reacting and very much over exaggerating everything about the game, before the game, and after the game.

What disappointed me about Rex yesterday was not the talking before the game or even the fact that his team appeared to be out of control with the pent up aggression leading to penalties. What disappointed me is that just like many of the coaches we have had before, he didnt or couldn't make adjustments in the game plan once things appeared to be going south. The D looked great on the first drive stop but did not have any answers for most of the rest of the game (with the exception of the fumble and forced fumble). Why can't coaches make adjustments in game or at half? I would have expected Rex to do that. If the pass rush was failing to get to Brady, then load up with the DBs for a series. At least try something different. I really expected more adjustments in real time on D and by Roman in the offense. Is this too much to ask?

Amen. Let Rex be Rex. He's going to be, anyhow.

My only concern about Rex is whether he can do a good job coaching the Bills. I can't judge that after two games against (1) the greatest team in NFL history with arguably the best coach and QBs ever who are currently the reigning SB Champs and (2) the conference finalist.

That said, if you're going to talk the talk, you better walk the walk. You get a lot less rope when you're brash and arrogant.

Edited by Observer