Would you Choose 4 SB losses vs. 1 SB win?

KingRex

We can now with virtually a week left to a "real" game to turn our attention to practical game stuff. However, until tomorrow there is time for one old philosophical exploration. The Brady case actually reminded me of the age old question of would I trade our 4 SB losses for 1 SB win?

I must admit I was disappointed in yesterday's court decision on the Brady case. As a Football fan one should want your team to beat the best at their best. However, a Brady suspension would have really heightened the Bills chances of winning game 2.

However, I am a fan of my Buffalo Bills. I long ago got over the concept of getting an "ugly" victory. When it comes to performing in the NFL it pretty much starts with getting Ws. If you don't get Ws you don't make the playoffs. If you don't make the playoffs you can't compete for the SB.

I did learn from my growing love for the team in the early 90s when we 4 times in a row lost the SB but I still loved the team that winning the SB is great though far from required, that winning it all is something I insist we aspire to. However, though aspiring to win the SB is necessity, oddly what the Bills have taught me is that actually achieving a win is not the road to some great things for a football.

The best moment I have ever had as a sports fan was the day after the loss in our first SB. The day after the phrase "wide right" was forever pressed in my heart and mind.

The great moment came when a crowd estimated at least 25,000 and maybe as high as 50,000 with little organizing came together in Niagara Sq. in front of City Hall to welcome our SB team back to Buffalo. I listened on the radio, but felt like I was there with my fellow Bills fan. Sports linked me together with 40 other folks the night before when we all held hands for the Norwood kick. We all moaned in pain when the kick went wide right. Sports linked me together with 10s of thousands who after cheering Kelly, the Big Three, Tasker, and their (our) leader Marv Levy when Scott Norwood, tears in his eyes begged for forgiveness for missing the kick which could have won the game.

Together, we gave the message that there was nothing to forgive. Win or lose the important thing was we were all together. This loss set the table for three additional amazing year for me as a fan.

Folks often ask the question would you trade four SB losses for one SB win? An interesting question that I think folks legitimately have different answers for.

However, as one who believes that a key to the fight of living life is not whether you avoid getting knocked down (its life and whether its a health challenge, getting turned down by a date, not getting the job you wanted, etc) but whether and how you get up!

The real question is would I trade the four years of trying to but not winning the SB for the myriad teams who have one SB but like virtual clock work lose any sense of cohesion as players wander off to collect accolades, glory, money and all the women they can eat.

Of course I would love to trade 4 losses for four wins. However, if you make me choose between one year of glory until we are replaced or four years of enjoying the shared aspiration to win and then sharing for four years the shared disappointment of losing?

Make mine four years of sharing win or lose!!!!

Maybe I am in the minority and maybe it has to do with being a kid at the time, but I wouldn't trade the early 90's team with Tampa or New Orleans. I have had this conversation a bunch of times and people always just tell me I am wrong. I wouldn't trade that 8-10 years of dominance for one amazing season. I believe that history will smile more favorably upon the early 90's Bills than the '02 Bucs. JMO

Sorry, haven't read that book "Things losers say"

Hell No! And no, not referring to you as a loser...but losers find ways to validate losses. The bills were losers 4 years in a row. There is no positive spin on that to out value winning one time. You play to win...period.

Now if you and the question would rather be there 4 times and lose or not go at all, then of course you choose goon 4 times. But never would I value, nor should anyone else value, losing 4 times in a row over reaching your goal and succeeding, even if it's just one time.

I'll take the four AFC Championships not the four losses in the SB. Also, what if we had won the first what happens the following year? Repeats are few and far between. Do we ever get the Comeback game? Probably not. Still four losses in a row sucked!

I may be in the minority but I would take four straight losses in the SB versus one win if you gonna tell me I have to go through another 15 years like the last 15 years.

During the early 90's there was anticipation expectation of a win every week. And it just wasn't those four years, there was at least one year on either side of the streak that they were equally impressive. I lived through the late 60's and the 70's teams, so I was more than happy to enjoy the extended run.

But then, I am a Dodger fan and maybe I am just used to the "wait until next year' phrase.

Maybe I am in the minority and maybe it has to do with being a kid at the time, but I wouldn't trade the early 90's team with Tampa or New Orleans. I have had this conversation a bunch of times and people always just tell me I am wrong. I wouldn't trade that 8-10 years of dominance for one amazing season. I believe that history will smile more favorably upon the early 90's Bills than the '02 Bucs. JMO

It was 10 of 12 years which is basically like the Steelers, meaning you could count on us making the playoffs almost every year between 1988 - 1999.

As far as a win, yes, i'd rather win the Giants game and not make it some of those games. It's sad 25 years later, Norwood sealed our fate for a quarter of a century. Think about 47 yard kicks now. I live in Tampa and moved there a week before the SB. There was no wind at all that day. The conditions were absolutely perfect.

I was thinking the same thing. New Orleans is more recent but who remembers that the Bucs have won a SB? Though decision. I really loved the 90's team, but I also loved the mid 60's team that did win a title.

Four consecutive conference championship is an unprecedented achievement.

One SB win, in a way, is not a big deal. Every year some team wins the SB.

But no team outside Buffalo has ever earned a spot in the SB four years running. That's historic.

Having said all that, I'd take the one win.

But no team outside Buffalo has ever earned a spot in the SB four years running. That's historic.

^^^^^^^ This sums it up...

Totally agree. And I wasn't a kid at that time.

I measure it by the amount of joy a team gives me. Not some frat boy ideology that there is one winner and 31 losers every year. Would I like the Bills to have won one of those Super Bowls? Sure. But that ride had a lot more peak moments than a boring team that manages to string together a one year Super Bowl run.

Of course at this point, after 15 years where the moments of joy have been few and far between, I'd take that one year Super Bowl run in a heartbeat.

Anyone who says they would prefer 4 loses over 1 win is crazy.

Well said