Reporter shot and Killed on Live TV in VA

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have misread Wooderson's post, but I thought he was saying that he watched the video that the shooter had posted. That one would more than likely show you where his initial shots were directed.

I know I have no interest in watching that, but if someone actually did, they might as well end the stupid fight so we don't have to read it anymore.

I'm not sure which video he watched. I would be interested in seeing the video from the shooter's perspective.

I'm not sure which video he watched. I would be interested in seeing the video from the shooter's perspective.

It was the shooter's perspective. He walked up the boardwalk with gun drawn. None of the 3 people even noticed that he was standing there. He had the gun pointed at the female reporter for a good 5-7 seconds before he actually fired. It looked to me like he might've missed the first shot, but then she reacted and started to run and he shot off several more rounds before turning to the cameraman. The video was facing her for the most part so the rest was unknown. It was a :30 video which the shooting probably started at :15. I'm almost positive twitter removed it. Somehow I just happened to see it posted 3 mins after he posted it.

Nope, I still say Coward. Mentally Ill or not, he knew what he was doing.

Well from a legal perspective, if he was legally mentally ill, he would not have known what he was doing.

But I don't want to get into that. I understand the coward reaction to this sort of thing. It's just a coping mechanism for dealing with something that confronts us and which we find horrific and reprehensible.

It's surprising how many people survive self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

I mean, it's not a lot...but it's quite a bit more than you would think.

I went to school with someone who survived a suicide attempt with a shotgun blast to the mouth. I was back east many years ago for my 10 year reunion and he was at a family reunion at the same park (he was a year or two behind me). His face was a mess. :sick:

Well from a legal perspective, if he was legally mentally ill, he would not have known what he was doing.

But I don't want to get into that. I understand the coward reaction to this sort of thing. It's just a coping mechanism for dealing with something that confronts us and which we find horrific and reprehensible.

Or, you know...it's that people think he's a coward for walking up behind a group of unsuspecting people, shooting them, attempting to run away, and then shooting himself when it appears he will be caught.

Sorry, not a whole lot of psychological digging needed to figure that one out.

oh i am sure, but i guess i was coming from a more "cosmic karma" type thing...why couldn't the stars or whatever higher body aligned to cause him to fail while shooting the other 3 people.

It's surprising how many people survive self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

I mean, it's not a lot...but it's quite a bit more than you would think.

oh i am sure, but i guess i was coming from a more "cosmic karma" type thing...why couldn't the stars or whatever higher body aligned to cause him to fail while shooting the other 3 people.

Oh I hope he survives and spends the rest of his life in a shithole prison with debilitating pain from the attempt.

Or, you know...it's that people think he's a coward for walking up behind a group of unsuspecting people, shooting them, attempting to run away, and then shooting himself when it appears he will be caught.

Sorry, not a whole lot of psychological digging needed to figure that one out.

You're pre-supposing that the shooter is sane and thinking the way you were when you wrote your post.

I am assuming he is not sane and so labeling him a coward is not really appropriate or correct.

Of course, neither of us knows for sure if he is sane or insane. We can guess though based on the information at hand.

Oh I hope he survives and spends the rest of his life in a shithole prison with debilitating pain from the attempt.

Because that will help his mental illness how?

I agree he should be removed from society but throwing him in jail isn't going to bring the people back or do anything positive for anyone.

You're pre-supposing that the shooter is sane and thinking the way you were when you wrote your post.

I am assuming he is not sane and so labeling him a coward is not really appropriate or correct.

Of course, neither of us knows for sure if he is sane or insane. We can guess though based on the information at hand.

He can't be cowardly and insane? I think you're trying too hard. I don't care at all about his sanity. Edited by Acantha

Because that will help his mental illness how?

I agree he should be removed from society but throwing him in jail isn't going to bring the people back or do anything positive for anyone.

Everyone has an excuse nowadays. Criminals are criminals.

Send his ass to Texas. Sizzle sizzle.

Everyone has an excuse nowadays. Criminals are criminals.

Send his ass to Texas. Sizzle sizzle.

Mental illness is such a cop out in this one. If he's mentally ill then we might as well say the same exact thing for every single murder out there. This isn't someone shooting up a random movie theater or a school. This is a guy going after a very specific target that he had a history with.

I agree.

I thought your observation was humorous, but even my embracing of gallows humor didn't extend as far as responding with a laughing emoji.

Mental illness is such a cop out in this one. If he's mentally ill then we might as well say the same exact thing for every single murder out there. This isn't someone shooting up a random movie theater or a school. This is a guy going after a very specific target that he had a history with.

It's not a "cop out." You're confusing "explaining" with "excusing."

It's almost certain he was mentally ill (the correlation of suicide to mental illness is almost 1.0 - never lower than .95 in any study I've seen. Even including situations were someone kills themselves rather than face the authorities). That observation in no way absolves him of guilt. Mentally ill people are just as responsible for their actions as anyone else.

It's almost certain he was mentally ill (the correlation of suicide to mental illness is almost 1.0 - never lower than .95 in any study I've seen. Even including situations were someone kills themselves rather than face the authorities). That observation in no way absolves him of guilt. Mentally ill people are just as responsible for their actions as anyone else.

This guy knew exactly what he was doing. He had a F*(*& go pro attached to his head. He pointed the gun at the reporter and the camerman for a good minute before opening fire. It was almost as if he wanted the reporter to look at him as he shot her. He then uploaded this to an online social media site for billions to see.

and someone is trying to tell me, he may not have known what he was doing?

I have no desire to help his mental illness.

Why is he automatically deemed mentally ill? Cant he just be a really sh**** person who deserves to die.

Because it's never the right thing to do, to not try to save a dying human's life.

I disagree with this, completely.

Whoa, the GoPro video...

absolutely sickening, I am kind of mad at myself for watching it. You can tell from the video she was the primary target.

Why is he automatically deemed mentally ill? Cant he just be a really sh**** person who deserves to die.

I didn't say he was. I have no idea I don't know him from Adam. It was my response to Fadingpain saying him rotting his prison will not help his mental illness.

I didn't say he was. I have no idea I don't know him from Adam. It was my response to Fadingpain saying him rotting his prison will not help his mental illness.

Could have worded it better, wasn't directed at you. More of a general question. Everytime there is a shooting, bam shooter is mentally ill.

I disagree with this, completely.

absolutely sickening, I am kind of mad at myself for watching it. You can tell from the video she was the primary target.

I agree. Same here I feel so sick now

CBF

Showed the GoPro video to my wife. She asked to see it. Here was her response:

Several things:

I'm surprised he got so close, gun in plain sight, and no one noticed;
It's a glock;
She did a lot of moving around before she (evidently) went down;
We need hollow points

We take our home invasion course this weekend.

The bold is exactly what I think this one was. Who knows though. Just once I'd like to actually hear the real story behind one of these scenarios.

And as for the study data you're mentioning, what exactly is the definition of "mental illness" there? It's starting to feel like a very broad term that catches just about everything. The numbers your stating aren't really possible as I'm sure there are plenty of mentally ill who do not commit suicide, but I realize that you're trying to say there.

edit: And someone at work was just watching the news footage multiple times on their computer without headphones. Some people aren't too bright.

Edited by shrader

http://abcnews.go.com/US/shooting-alleged-gunman-details-grievances-suicide-notes/story?id=33336339

In the 23-page document faxed to ABC News, the writer says “MY NAME IS BRYCE WILLIAMS” and his legal name is Vester Lee Flanagan II” He writes what triggered today’s carnage was his reaction to the racism of the Charleston church shooting:

“Why did I do it? I put down a deposit for a gun on 6/19/15. The Church shooting in Charleston happened on 6/17/15…”

“What sent me over the top was the church shooting. And my hollow point bullets have the victims’ initials on them."

#alllivesmatter

Who in the heck names their child: Vester Lee.

I am not defending the creep, but there had to be 41 years of torment.

Like Pooj said about names. Throw a middle name Harvey in there and you also got trouble.

So freaking sad.

Guns yeah! No, guns boo! Not that guns are the real issue. But, what's the final solution? Everybody packing like the Old West?

holy crap

in this sort of underground belly of the world, it is popular online, there is a lot of praise of Cho. Talk from people about "beating Cho's score" and such are very popular. Of course, they want to praise Breivik and beat his 77 kills.

It is almost like these socially awkward, dejected and socially rejected people approach their moment as a video game. They see society as the fault for their inadequacies.

http://www.youtube.com/verify_controversy?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3DMQUW3Km01BM

Holy sh*t!!

I'm guessing we aren't going to see any protests that "white lives matter" after this.

This guy knew what he was doing and who he was targeting. This was racially motivated among other things but I'm sure the media won't be discussing race on this one!

Edited by flomoe