Reporter shot and Killed on Live TV in VA

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He most likely staked out around the premise of the station and then followed the van to the location.

Not saying right or wrong, but in that story there is a picture of a Tweet the boyfriend of the female reporter tweeted out at 9.36 saying how they were in love, they had just moved in together, and he was numb.

3 hours

Edited by plenzmd1

Didn't seem to me like she had any idea what was happening. Looked more like a complete panic and flight reflex.

Without even looking in the direction of the gunman she screamed loudly after the first shot in fear, based only on sound. That alone is recognizing the situation and it surprises me. And note how the older woman did not exhibit a flight reflex at all. She went more with the "curl up in a ball and wait to die" approach.

As I said, interesting.

Without even looking in the direction of the gunman she screamed loudly after the first shot in fear, based only on sound. That alone is recognizing the situation and it surprises me. And note how the older woman did not exhibit a flight reflex at all. She went more with the "curl up in a ball and wait to die" approach.

As I said, interesting.

Yet she's currently the only one who lived.

Not saying right or wrong, but in that story there is a picture of a Tweet the boyfriend of the female reporter tweeted out at 9.36 saying how they were in love, they had just moved in together, and he was numb.

3 hours

I heard about that before I heard about the disgruntled employee; my first thought was someone else probably had a thing for her and found out about them moving in together.

As I said, interesting.

No, she was watching the cameraman crumple. And she ran directly away from the cameraman, not the gunman.

If I had to guess...she was reacting to seeing the cameraman shot in the head (specifically - and pardon the bluntness - seeing the splatter from the exit wound), and not the gun shot.

But hey, we are great at covering the entire football field with an American flag before football games.

Don't forget the pre-game flyovers. Gotta have those.

(Though honestly, there's no money to be saved there. They double as necessary time-in-type training flights.)

No, she was watching the cameraman crumple. And she ran directly away from the cameraman, not the gunman.

If I had to guess...she was reacting to seeing the cameraman shot in the head (specifically - and pardon the bluntness - seeing the splatter from the exit wound), and not the gun shot.

Don't forget the pre-game flyovers. Gotta have those.

(Though honestly, there's no money to be saved there. They double as necessary time-in-type training flights.)

The camera came to ground level far too gradually and controlled for it to have been a head shot. The cameraman would have dropped like a rock had that happened.

You're missing the point. The young female reporter recognized something bad was happening immediately, and her initial scream comes when her head is turned to the interview subject away from the cameraman and the shooter. She reacts initially to sound alone.

Watch it again.

The camera came to ground level far too gradually and controlled for it to have been a head shot. The cameraman would have dropped like a rock had that happened.

You're missing the point. The young female reporter recognized something bad was happening immediately, and her initial scream comes when her head is turned to the interview subject away from the cameraman and the shooter. She reacts initially to sound alone.

Watch it again.

If her head was turned how do you know those screams were hers?

at least from that still, he looks so matter of factedly doing it too.

but at that time of the morning, who is walking around an amusement park in a dark outfit, armed, and maybe even with cuffs?

Maybe maintenance man and what you perceive as cuffs may be keys

Watch it again.

I bow to the amateur photo-analyst who's doubtlessly never been shot at before.

If her head was turned how do you know those screams were hers?

Because there are only two females anywhere near the scene and the older woman is bigger and has a much deeper voice. The screaming all comes from the young reporter.

Also interesting to note is that she continues to scream well after having been shot herself in all likelihood.

I bow to the amateur photo-analyst who doubtlessly has never been shot at, and clearly knows jack **** about physics.

I hope you become happier. I see you have a habit, 50,000 + posts long, of arguing with nameless strangers on the internet, playing the role of the grumpy old man, playing contrarian, and generally spewing negativity.

Happy, fulfilled, complete people don't do that.

Edited by Just Jack

The madman recorded the shooting from his perspective and posted it to Twitter.

I was just gonna write about this. I can't believe I actually watched the video. I'm disgusted with myself and sick to my stomach. I really wasn't sure what I was watching at the start but at the end I wanted to puke.

I will be having nightmares about this.

RIP to the victims.

if it's a former employee, how did he know time and location of news interview?

Maybe because morning newscasts like to constantly announce "Coming up in the next half hour, Reporter Blah Blah with a live report from [fill in location]". Or maybe they've been doing reports from there all morning.

I was just gonna write about this. I can't believe I actually watched the video. I'm disgusted with myself and sick to my stomach. I really wasn't sure what I was watching at the start but at the end I wanted to puke.

RIP to the victims.

I am grateful that I didn't actually watch it.

me too, not gonna watch it but will still probably have nightmares with the mental images in my head...

I am grateful that I didn't actually watch it.

hearing he may have just shot himself

Virginia State Police just announced he is no longer a threat to the community

RIP to the victims.

Since you watched it, I might as well ask. Which side of the petty argument/speculation in this thread is closer to the truth?

they have confirmed he is dead

me too, not gonna watch it but will still probably have nightmares with the mental images in my head...

hearing he may have just shot himself

Virginia State Police just announced he is no longer a threat to the community

Mine, of course.

If only because I can count.

Huh? Did you watch the video? He didn't even shoot the cameraman first. He fired many shots at the young reporter and all of her reactions had nothing to do with any violence inflicted on the cameraman, as directly opposed to your "head shot" theory.

Keep it up on Tom. You are definitely a superstar in your own mind.

Huh? Did you watch the video? He didn't even shoot the cameraman first. He fired many shots at the young reporter and all of her reactions had nothing to do with any violence inflicted on the cameraman, as directly opposed to your "head shot" theory.

Keep it up on Tom. You are definitely a superstar in your own mind.

I defer to your superiority.

Neither because none of us where there.

I may have misread Wooderson's post, but I thought he was saying that he watched the video that the shooter had posted. That one would more than likely show you where his initial shots were directed.

I know I have no interest in watching that, but if someone actually did, they might as well end the stupid fight so we don't have to read it anymore.

is it really important to some of you who is right and who is wrong in this case? sadly, I know the answer already

No it's not, but I'm just getting sick of DC Tom's routine around here. I wish he'd get some anti-depressants. They would help him.

In fact, I was just going to post that this is not about the usual sort of meaningless chat forum pissing matches that go on all the time here and elsewhere.

Clearly the shooter was rather ill and fell through the cracks of treatment somehow. He obviously had no plans to survive this day.

I am not a gun supporter, but as usual, this will get air play now as a "gun control" story when in fact it is a mental illness story.

This is a tragedy all the way around and a horrific day for all involved directly in the shootings and those who know them.

Coward

Very mentally ill is better, if you have to throw a label on the situation.

is it really important to some of you who is right and who is wrong in this case? sadly, I know the answer already

When a jackass is trying to find heroism in blind panic and thereby illustrating a ridiculous misunderstanding of what actually happened?

Reality is...well, not unimportant.

In fact, I was just going to post that this is not about the usual sort of meaningless chat forum pissing matches that go on all the time here and elsewhere.

Only, what, 8 posts too late? Ditch the sanctimonious garbage already.

turns out he was 3 hours away...not sure if they were chasing him on I-64 and I-81 they allowed him the 1.5 hours minimum form the I-64/I-81 merger in Staunton to get to I-66 up towards Front Royal....

he got from augusta county to i-66 before shooting himself??? that is at least an hour and a half up 81...

I may have misread Wooderson's post, but I thought he was saying that he watched the video that the shooter had posted. That one would more than likely show you where his initial shots were directed.

I know I have no interest in watching that, but if someone actually did, they might as well end the stupid fight so we don't have to read it anymore.

He stood there for a few seconds with just the gun facing the female reporter but nobody noticed him. He shot at the reporter first, looked like he *might've* missed her, but then fired several more as she fled before he turned to the cameraman. The video was facing her more-so than the cameraman.