If Marrone still coached the Bills ...

IMO

- we don't sign guys with baggage like incognito, harvin, and IK

- we don't do the kiko for McCoy trade

- Schwartz is DC and we resign Spikes

- we don't draft Darby and instead use Rd2 pick on best QB available (Grayson?)

- still take Miller in Rd3

- sign Iapiati (sp?) as a FA

- resign Spiller

- probably still trade for Cassell and name him starter by now

- no Tyrod

- probably resign Chandler and draft O'Leary ....don't see them paying up for Clay in FA...but its still a possibility.

- rounds 4 and 5 on help in the secondary

So basically defense stays pretty much the same, guards are upgraded so expectation for better run game, not much change in passing game however so still question remains how will we score enough points.

Does this hypothetical team have a chance to do better than 9 - 7? How do their chances compare to the team under Rex?

Edited by JTSP

Not sure we trade for Cassel if what we are hearing the last couple of days is true Roman played a key part in that. However, we trade for or sign some other vet... maybe Hoyer?

Or outbid Cleveland for mccown. But yeah one of these pass around patty's probably named started over EJ by now. Marrone wrote off EJ and had no clue how to develop him anyway

Edited by JTSP

This is what's been bothering me since the LeSean McCoy trade -- I actually think this team would have been better hiring your standard non-Rex coach and then standing pat (other than bringing in Cassel or some other Orton type at QB). Getting rid of Marrone, or Marrone getting rid of himself? Excellent. Bringing in Rex and a bunch of personnel changes dictated by Rex? Not good.

We'd still be blessed with Hackett.

Greg Roman would've still been looking for a job. Chan Gailey too. There was no way Hackett was staying since he was only here because of Marrone. I guess I'm deliberately misunderstanding the topic a bit since Marrone was out by his own ill-advised decision anyway ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Iapati (sp?) is one. Resign Spiller too

And re-signing Spikes, who had he stayed before his misbehaving would likely have been looking for more money. I could actually see them keeping Searcy as well under Marrone. He was a big fan. I think they'd have still been on the lookout for a "big" receiver as well.

Edited by GunnerBill

And re-signing Spikes, who had he stayed before his misbehaving would likely have been looking for more money. I could actually see them keeping Searcy as well under Marrone. He was a big fan. I think they'd have still been on the lookout for a "big" receiver as well.

Agree on Searcy. Only big WR of note available was Marshal. Just not seeing him fit with Watkins and woods.

Edited by JTSP

Correct. I believe it was in season, approximately a half yard shy of a first down.

Haha. How funny would it have been if he had just literally slid half a yard shy of the sticks got up removed his helmet, chucked the ball at EJ and said "You're up champ.... I've had enough... I'm going to watch the rest of this in the bar."

Iapati (sp?) is one. Resign Spiller too

That fills 2 of the 4 slots.

Maybe one of the other FA lineman? I don't think searcy was ever in the plans at that price tag.

Instead of Hughes, maybe another pass rusher? Schwartz needs 4 horses up front.

This is what's been bothering me since the LeSean McCoy trade -- I actually think this team would have been better hiring your standard non-Rex coach and then standing pat (other than bringing in Cassel or some other Orton type at QB). Getting rid of Marrone, or Marrone getting rid of himself? Excellent. Bringing in Rex and a bunch of personnel changes dictated by Rex? Not good.

Whether or not these personnel changes work out, I find it refreshing to see the team making a series of bold moves in an effort to get significantly better now, with a bit of an edge, instead of the 15 years of conservative dumpster diving, Mario Williams aside, that led up to this point. If Marrone stays, or if they go with non-Rex and stand pat, it feels to me like it would have been more of the same. Plus, any player that Whaley added, assuming he was still here with Marrone here, would have found their way into the doghouse and off of the field in short order so that Marrone could wear his "I'm with stupid" teeshirt with confidence while sitting next to DW at pressers. Maybe I'm wrong, and Marrone would have embraced spending Pegula's money with a little flare for the benefit of the team without the end run on Whaley.

Edited by transient

I think perhaps we still make the McCoy trade. They still would have called Whaley. He would have been excited and brought it up with Pegula and Marrone. We still would have had Schwartz and known that Brown and Bradham had been great in Kiko's place. Marrone didn't seem to like Spiller or didn't know how to use him. He liked a ball control offense. I still think we get McCoy.

Oh, and McCoy is pissed. ;)

My brain can't possibly compute all the potential player moves that may or may not have happened; but in general terms, had Marrone stayed, this team would stuck in mediocrity. Chances are pretty good he looses the locker room by mid-season and finishes the season as a lame duck coach. In essence, we would have lost a full year of football. Of that, I have zero doubt.

Why wouldn't they have done the McCoy trade and paid Spiller instead? Did marrone love spiller? I didn't get that sense at all.

Imo they loved him. Ran him up the middle as much as possible. Brought him back from an injury others might have IR'd. With new guards would come new hope for their run CJ up the middle philosophy.

Remember that video Freddy shot of them celebrating in the locker room after a win and they dumped the gatorade on Marrone. The look on his face was priceless. He looked liked, semi pissed and thinking to himself "im gonna make um run extra laps for that"