Ronald Darby - how will he do?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im as concerned as Id be about any starting rookie. But not more so due to the preseason performances.

Those were different situations than we'll see in real games.

In a real game, the quick and easy fix is to give him Safety help instead of leaving him there in single man with no inside or deep help.

He wont be perfect, he wont be an instant shutdown corner, but there is plenty to work with and he'll do well with help.

I think this is one of those cases I talk about where the fans perspectives change when they realize that they aren't on the same page as the coaching staff/GM.

They didn't draft Darby in round 2 to give him safety help the way a zone defense does.

He was drafted to play man on the outside in a defense that tries to congest the middle of the field.

I'm not saying Rex isn't capable of scheming differently but it's hard to drop a DL in underneath coverage while you are pulling safeties to the sideline.

If Darby can't hold his own then it changes the game plan significantly, IMO.

Deception is their greatest asset against Luck and that goes double for a day when the Alabama Slamma is in a tracksuit on the sideline.

So if they are going to play a matchup-zone for the benefit of Darby it will have effects on the rest of the defensive structure.

To my opening point.......people assume that popular new coaches and GM's have an easy right answer for everything.

But stopping Andrew Luck is not a given.

I love Rex and the exciting, blitzing D but I acknowledge that he has had some days where teams like the Pats have torn his D to shreds.

A creative scheme without the sufficient talent in right places is not sufficient to stop a great offense.

Edited by #BADOL

When I pointed out my concern about the readiness of Darby after the Panthers game I recall you entering the thread to personally attack me.

NOW you are concerned?

Gotta love the characters on TSW :thumbsup:

Not!

One it was not an attack softie. 2nd. Your demeanor was a little too show off for my taste.

That same day I believe I posted the word "Darby" in the negative thread. I pretty much agreed with you the rest of the way, just not the style.

I think this is one of those cases I talk about where the fans perspectives change when they realize that they aren't on the same page as the coaching staff/GM.

They didn't draft Darby in round 2 to give him safety help the way a zone defense does.

He was drafted to play man on the outside in a defense that tries to congest the middle of the field.

I'm not saying Rex isn't capable of scheming differently but it's hard to drop a DL in underneath coverage while you are pulling safeties to the sideline.

Deception is their greatest asset against Luck and that goes double for a day when the Alabama Slamma is in a tracksuit on the sideline.

So if they are going to play a matchup-zone for the benefit of Darby it will have effects on the rest of the defensive structure.

To my opening point.......people assume that popular new coaches and GM's have an easy right answer for everything.

I love Rex and the exciting, blitzing D but I acknowledge that he has had some days where teams like the Pats have torn his D to shreds.

A creative scheme without the sufficient talent in right places is not sufficient to stop a great offense.

Very well said.

Are you "worried" about their seasons hopes being dashed if they lose the opener?

If the answer is no then the degree of concern......with worry being at the top of the scale apparently........is irrelevant.

After all, it's just one game.

I don't think you are really answering the OP's intent.

Do you think Darby will be abused by Andrew Luck?

If this was a championship game would you be "worried" about the matchup.

It's easy to be unconcerned, technically the stakes could only be lower if they were playing a random NFC opponent in the opener.

Sorry. BADO, you lost me on that bolded sentence. But I think I get the point of your post.

Since it IS the first game of the year, and not a championship matchup, or even one that occurs late in the season, so I think you wasted a bunch of typing there. And "No", clearly I don't think the Bills' season hangs in the balance of the first game. But I'm not sure why you are focused on that game, in particular. The original post didn't seem specific to the first game. But, yes Darby could be abused by Luck---that's true of ANY rookie DB. Actually, it's true of any DB, period.

So my original post remains: Concerned, but not yet worried.

Also reported that mckelvin's walking boot is no more as of today

There's a ray of sunshine. Or at least a cloudy day instead of dark, stormy clouds on the back end of the defense.

As for the question... concerned short term, yes. Long term, no.

Sorry. BADO, you lost me on that bolded sentence. But I think I get the point of your post.

Since it IS the first game of the year, and not a championship matchup, or even one that occurs late in the season, so I think you wasted a bunch of typing there. And "No", clearly I don't think the Bills' season hangs in the balance of the first game. But I'm not sure why you are focused on that game, in particular. The original post didn't seem specific to the first game. But, yes Darby could be abused by Luck---that's true of ANY rookie DB. Actually, it's true of any DB, period.

So my original post remains: Concerned, but not yet worried.

I get it, you are just as concerned about John Miller.

It's all so concerning. :rolleyes:

I started worrying about Darby the day Leodis got hurt.

We all realize Rex hung Darby out to dry in preseason and that Darby got a lot of valuable experience going up against NFL wideouts. This experience will help him during the regular season.

Still, Darby clearly lacks some of the skills - and the consistency - you'd want from your starting CB.

Not everyone is enamored with McKelvin but the secondary is significantly worse without him. Let's hope he recovers quickly.

I started worrying about Darby the day Leodis got hurt.

We all realize Rex hung Darby out to dry in preseason and that Darby got a lot of valuable experience going up against NFL wideouts. This experience will help him during the regular season.

Still, Darby clearly lacks some of the skills - and the consistency - you'd want from your starting CB.

Not everyone is enamored with McKelvin but the secondary is significantly worse without him. Let's hope he recovers quickly.

I am not sure the experience will help him this season.

That's one of those things that sound good on paper but as we know the games aren't played on paper they are played on TV and on TV Leodis struggled for like 6 years.

His lawn was politician-literally begging for mercy that he be let go. Could not take anymore over fertilization from irate Bills fans.

I agree with everything you said, and its nothing I dont think/know already :thumbsup:

Obviously©, they drafted Darby to play the classic role in Rex's defense. However, I dont think the GM or coaches would have tried to argue that he'd definitely be ready for that role week 1 of his rookie season.

Luckily, they have some choices. If they feel that going with Rambo/Graham gives them the best players on the field, then so be it. But if they do go with Graham/Darby then we all know they must provide some help there.

Sure it will change the scheme, but I trust that Rex would be able to adapt his scheme for a bit.

Either way, it sure ought to be fun to watch! :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDareustein

I agree with everything you said, and its nothing I dont think/know already :thumbsup:

Obviously©, they drafted Darby to play the classic role in Rex's defense. However, I dont think the GM or coaches would have tried to argue that he'd definitely be ready for that role week 1 of his rookie season.

Luckily, they have some choices. If they feel that going with Rambo/Graham gives them the best players on the field, then so be it. But if they do go with Graham/Darby then we all know they must provide some help there.

Sure it will change the scheme, but I trust that Rex would be able to adapt his scheme for a bit.

Either way, it sure ought to be fun to watch! :thumbsup:

I like Rex a lot......but "trust" him I do not.

If Darby starts at a boundary CB I think the best defense will be a good offense.

So glad they chose Taylor.

Eventually defenses may catch up to him....the video spares no flaws......but he gives them the best chance to put up 30+ in the opener, IMO. :thumbsup:

As I've said in another thread, I do believe Rex has intentionally thrown Darby to the wolves in preseason to see what he can handle and how he reacts. I don't for one moment think Rex will risk his first game as Bills HC by leaving Darby on an island against Luck.

Bingo.

I like Rex a lot......but "trust" him I do not.

If Darby starts at a boundary CB I think the best defense will be a good offense.

So glad they chose Taylor.

Eventually defenses may catch up to him....the video spares no flaws......but he gives them the best chance to put up 30+ in the opener, IMO. :thumbsup:

Agree 100 percent. As I've said elsewhere, I expect them to lose this game because they're missing their best defensive player and one of their starting CBs, but it is only one game. Plus Gore is really good.

Maybe they light it up and make it a game. I expect Luck to light it up, and I won't blame Rex if he does given the holes on defense. i have no faith Darby will play well either. As for Luck, he threw for 40 tds last year and averaged 8 ypp, and he didn't get any worse in the offseason.

Uncanny how much Darby has been targeted since the 1st preseason game. Teams don't typically gameplan much in the preseason and it's not like Gilmore, although good, is Revis on the other side. Almost like Rex asked the other team to pick on him early and often. Given the results, can't see how you start Darby in week 1. Clearly not ready.

Edited by BuffaloRebound

Anyone who is not concerned about Ronald Darby starting for us, has not watched Ronald Darby's performance trying to cover an NFL receiver one on one. He looks athletic, but looks absolutely lost when trying to stay with his receiver. His instincts look a little suspect, as he always seems a bit slow in reacting to ball and receiver. But if we all see this, I am sure Rex and his coaches do as well. And will create a scheme that will protect Darby as much as possible. And hopefully, Luck will be running for his life from our pass rush, and be totally uncomfortable the entire game. I like our chances to prevail. A nice start to the Tyrod and Rex era...Bills 31-20.