Ronald Darby - how will he do?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And he got smoked on a tackle attempt as well. Not a good night.

The PI in the end zone looked like a pretty darn good play though.

Totally agree! It baffles me why he isn't given safety support. Things don't look good if Gilmore misses regular season games people.

Graham has to go back to corner. It has to be considered till Leodis gets back, no?

What other recourse do we have? The pass rush isn't going to get to the QB on every drop back. Something has got to change.

He's a rookie being left all alone in coverage. Do you expect him to play like Revis already?

Thank you!! I think he'll use these trials & tribulations as motivation to improve. Nobody can call him a bust after 3 PRESEASON games!

He's a rookie DB. It's the second hardest position to adjust to from college to the pros. Darby's got Rex teaching him, and Rex be good with that stuff. Darby's gonna be fine.

To think you can start a rookie CB straight out of the box is foolish, I don't care how good he is, and that won't be how Rex uses him this season.

How will Rex use him? McK is out and Robey can't really play outside. Cockrell?

How will Rex use him? McK is out and Robey can't really play outside. Cockrell?

Properly. He's the defensive guru, not me. Ask him.

Everyone always loves to jump on the new cornerback. And now the QB argument seems settled I'm sticking up for Darby.

Edited by mastershake

Seriously, is this guy ready for the real thing or does he ride the pine til he proves otherwise?

Obviously no, he is not ready for the real thing. That doesn't mean he won't play though and it doesn't mean teams won't pick on him. And if they do, look out.

I expect he'll be good long term but he's just not ready. Rex is gonna have to figure out if Butler or Brooks can start the season, if not Graham has to move back to corner and Rambo starts.

The question is, who would be a greater liability to the team? Rambo at Safety, or Darby at CB? I agree 100% with Aaron, Darby may be fine long term, but he is a definite liability right now. It is too much too soon for him, and it hurts the team right now if he is thrown in too soon. He is a rookie who needs more time to take it to the level a NFL CB needs to be. The team will suffer this season with him in there too soon while waiting for McK to return.

How has Rambo looked at safety in his play this preseason?

Edited by simpleman

The question is, who would be a greater liability to the team? Rambo at Safety, or Darby at CB? I agree 100% with Aaron, Darby may be fine long term, but he is a definite liability right now. It is too much too soon for him, and it hurts the team right now if he is thrown in too soon. He is a rookie who needs more time to take it to the level a NFL CB needs to be. The team will suffer this season with him in there too soon while waiting for McK to return.

How has Rambo looked at safety in his play this preseason?

If you put Rambo in at safety, just remember one thing. You're gonna need a lot of body bags.

I think Darby will be a great CB... eventually. His biggest problem is matching up against tall receivers whose long strides and height advantage appear too much for him right now. The Bills don't exactly have that available for him to practice against. I worry that it will put us into a hole early in the season when the games count. Maybe they already have a plan (kind of surprised Graham hasn't been shadowing the rookie), I don't know. As a fan, I would like more public assurances (or insurance given all of the injuries in the secondary) that it's addressed. It may be done scouting the waiver wire over the next couple weeks for a veteran caught in the numbers crunch or... The dream scenario (in my head at least) would be to trade for disgruntled Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor and move Graham back to CB. He's the key ingredient (IMHO) to bring the Legion of BOOM eastward. Wouldn't that be a scary secondary to face!

Given the play of the offense with backup skill position players, maybe the defense doesn't have to be that great. But we were given the expectation they'd be No. 1 so it's on them to prove it. Week one can't get here soon enough.

GO BILLS!

IMO people are really over reacting here.Darby will be fine he is playing man coverage with no safety help.Rex does not care to entertain the fans he wants the kid to improve.The best way to improve is to be put in man position and sink or swim.Seriosly how often do you recal seeing a rookie corner in man coverage that much with no safety even on the same side of the field?That said he did have a poor game but he played great in camp and we have good receivers so I'm not to worried about it at this point.

I think Darby will be a great CB... eventually. His biggest problem is matching up against tall receivers whose long strides and height advantage appear too much for him right now. The Bills don't exactly have that available for him to practice against. I worry that it will put us into a hole early in the season when the games count. Maybe they already have a plan (kind of surprised Graham hasn't been shadowing the rookie), I don't know. As a fan, I would like more public assurances (or insurance given all of the injuries in the secondary) that it's addressed. It may be done scouting the waiver wire over the next couple weeks for a veteran caught in the numbers crunch or... The dream scenario (in my head at least) would be to trade for disgruntled Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor and move Graham back to CB. He's the key ingredient (IMHO) to bring the Legion of BOOM eastward. Wouldn't that be a scary secondary to face!

Given the play of the offense with backup skill position players, maybe the defense doesn't have to be that great. But we were given the expectation they'd be No. 1 so it's on them to prove it. Week one can't get here soon enough.

GO BILLS!

i honestly don't care where the defense is ranked as long as we win games. We beat a better offense and QB IMO, GB, without McKelvin last year so I'm sure they will have a game plan to best utilize the talent we have on D and the relative matchups.

i honestly don't care where the defense is ranked as long as we win games. We beat a better offense and QB IMO, GB, without McKelvin last year so I'm sure they will have a game plan to best utilize the talent we have on D and the relative matchups.

It's not the same defense as last year. Last year was all about the front four reeking havoc and dropping the rest in coverage. Ryan gambles a lot more than Schwartz does. Our O dropped 40 on the Jets D last year. If we get into shootouts, I don't know if we can keep up consistently. That's why I think the secondary should be fortified. It's just an opinion.