Ronald Darby - how will he do?

3 Main catches that people are focusing on in regards to Darby. One involved Funchess on a go route with a stutter step. Ball was placed on the outside shoulder, Funchess is 6"4. Ginn on a deep pass almost identical play to the Funchess play but the position of the ball placement was almost impossible to defend against. Absolutely the perfect ball placement on the outside shoulder down the sideline. Lastly, Kelvin Benjamin TD reception. 6"5, slight push off by Benjamin. Realistically Darby probably will struggle in that match up most his career based on size.

Good news, Darby had reasonable positioning on each pass. The ball placement was just that good. Right now he is struggling to find the ball, I would be much more concerned if he was struggling to find his man, but he had solid positioning all night. I'm almost certain Rex did not care and likely even encouraged match up issues with larger WR's. Carolina has more than most, but in the regular season we will see Darby on the small WR's and Gilmore on the bigger targets. At least until LM comes back.

Darby got a real wake up call today and that's a great thing to have happen the first game of the preseason, especially under the conditions I mentioned. Namely he was in position all night. He just got a great taste of how elite the talent is at this level. We liked him this year as a nickle corner and it's easy to see how great he would be in that role from day 1. Very fluid in his movement, great acceleration, and top end speed. That said we will have to start him until LM comes back, but the results will not be as bad as the results ended up tonight. He will learn a ton from this experience and he has a lot of time until week 1. Even at that point, he will have a lot of growth over the course of the season. The situation isn't the best given we play in a system with island corners, but I don't expect the first two weeks to be as dire as it felt like they would today.

Edited by KzooMike

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that he will be fine as it was his very first game, Rex said they threw him to the wolves, and had him covering WRs with big size advantage. I'm not worried in the long term - as you said many young corners look lost, but he didn't. What I am worried about is the Colts game. I think they would be wise to throw him on Hilton and Gilmore on AJ, but the Colts will try to get the matchup they want with putting AJ and Duron Carter, who is 6'5, out there together. And luck's ball placement is absurdly good.

I know Rex will anticipate this and have a game plan ready vs what he did last night (throwing Darby out there into baptism by fire) but it's still a terrifying matchup for a rookie corner to face Luck and his WRs in the first game.

It was interesting how they mentioned he was never thrown at in college, and they threw at him almost every time when he was in there last night. Welcome to the NFL, Rookie - indeed.

He did look fast and made a few nice plays on PBUs. I think he will be a good one.

Darby has the same problem Leodis had before Donnie Henderson finally got through to him -- not turning his head to make a play on the ball.

Darby generally was right in step with his matchups, but by not reading the receiver and turning his head he had no chance to make a play. You can bet Donnie will continue to be all over his case about this, and it's going to be crucial that he starts to listen because otherwise QBs like Luck and Brady* will chew him up.

Loved his fight, though -- making two consecutive PBUs after being picked on.

Darby SUCKED

he will be a bust at cb and be moved to safety.

Uhg. Why be so negative and make crystal ball predictions like that? You watched him play how much, in his first pre-season game, and suddenly his whole career is clear to you?

As he matures into playing football at this level, he will learn how to better position himself to make plays on WRs with a significant size advantage. Sure he was with the WR and that's a huge step, but if he positions himself a little better to make up for his shorter stature, he will be much better as a CB.... It also takes a and bear perfect throw to best him in the coverage he was playing- something that doesn't happen all that often, even though it happened 3 times last night.... Things will be fine with him!

Darby has the same problem Leodis had before Donnie Henderson finally got through to him -- not turning his head to make a play on the ball.

Darby generally was right in step with his matchups, but by not reading the receiver and turning his head he had no chance to make a play. You can bet Donnie will continue to be all over his case about this, and it's going to be crucial that he starts to listen because otherwise QBs like Luck and Brady* will chew him up.

Loved his fight, though -- making two consecutive PBUs after being picked on.

It sure was fun to watch him.

It was not a wake up call maybe so much as an introduction to the NFL!

He has a lot to work on. But he never hung his head.

he will learn to disrupt routes on the big guys and realize NFL QBS can thread some needles

I like the kid.

well see.

Darby will be glad to know that there are fans that will come out after a game he (completely sucked) in and still give him accolades.

What Darby showed me in last night's first preseason game is that, if this was the regular season right now, the Bills would have a major problem on their hands with Leodis out. Teams will certainly pick on this guy repeatedly until his game play improves a lot. And so far by the looks of it, teams will be extremely successful picking on him.

If teams keep getting big plays throwing the ball his way then the Bills will be forced to do something else there.

I hope the guy succeeds and becomes great. I hadn't seen him play prior to last nights game. So based on what I saw, he isn't anywhere near as good as the hype has been about him.

It is hard to cover a wide out that is taller than you but not impossible. Darby did hang with his man but didn't get his head around. That is going to cost him. That can be taught. He has good leaping ability as a couple of times his hand was above the receivers but was a bit late looking for the ball and the receiver shielded him from making a play. He has good speed, he doesn't quit, and just has to be taught. He will struggle a bit but if he learns how to cover elite NFL receivers he will be ok. I just hope he learns before the season starts.

Why did he get a wakeup call? What does that mean?

Because he was hardly thrown at in college

Darby will be glad to know that there are fans that will come out after a game he (completely sucked) in and still give him accolades.

What Darby showed me in last night's first preseason game is that, if this was the regular season right now, the Bills would have a major problem on their hands with Leodis out. Teams will certainly pick on this guy repeatedly until his game play improves a lot. And so far by the looks of it, teams will be extremely successful picking on him.

If teams keep getting big plays throwing the ball his way then the Bills will be forced to do something else there.

I hope the guy succeeds and becomes great. I hadn't seen him play prior to last nights game. So based on what I saw, he isn't anywhere near as good as the hype has been about him.

Except he did not completely suck....mixed in with Kazoo's points he prevented 2 touchdowns and nearly had a pick

It's true. I noticed that a lot of people purchased that "NFL Parallel Universe Game Pass" and watched the game on it.

:lol: It's making for some funny posts today, for sure.

I don't know how people can't come away from that game, a meaningless first preseason game, and not feel good about the direction this team is turning. Darby got picked on, which is what the coaches wanted to see (I wouldn't put it past Rex to have asked Rivera whom he's known since he was a kid to test Darby a bit). The defense looked good without Kyle. The offensive line looked very good without RI. All three QBs showed they're capable of moving the ball...

This is going to be a fun season.