Ronald Darby - how will he do?

:lol: It's making for some funny posts today, for sure.

I don't know how people can't come away from that game, a meaningless first preseason game, and not feel good about the direction this team is turning. Darby got picked on, which is what the coaches wanted to see (I wouldn't put it past Rex to have asked Rivera whom he's known since he was a kid to test Darby a bit). The defense looked good without Kyle. The offensive line looked very good without RI. All three QBs showed they're capable of moving the ball...

This is going to be a fun season.

Preseason is about evaluating individual performances and we had some good man-to-man looks last night.

Overall I thought it was a good performance.

The biggest takeaway was that the running game is going to be MUCH improved. Just night and day the quality of play design and execution versus the chaos and simplicity of the past couple seasons.

McCoy was McCoy. He made something from nothing a few times and made nothing from something a couple times. Karlos Williams actually looked much more the part of the type of back they actually need for ground and pound.

But it's funny how it always is that the only team that plays vanilla defense in preseason is the Bills. :lol:

Cassel, Tyrod, EJ......they were just THAT effective....but Derek Anderson was only moving the ball because they Bills weren't playing to win. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is that the degree to which Gilmore and Darby were beaten was surprising regardless and will be much scrutinized from here on.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember another rookie from Florida St.getting lit up by the 49ers back in the day... What was his name? Oh yeah. Deion Sanders. It happens to all of them. This was a good experience for Darby. He responded well and progressed, even during the game. Gotta love watching them learn on the fly.

I hope every preseason game throws every pass towards his direction and I hope Rex continues to leave him out to dry. It'll give him some early lessons and hopefully prepare him for the regular season :)

yep. i was happy they were picking on him. it will give him a lot of experience. he will need it if he's out there week 1. the Indy receivers are better than anything he saw last night, that's for sure

Preseason is about evaluating individual performances and we had some good man-to-man looks last night.

The biggest takeaway was that the running game is going to be MUCH improved. Just night and day the quality of play design and execution versus the chaos and simplicity of the past couple seasons.

McCoy was McCoy. He made something from nothing a few times and made nothing from something a couple times. Karlos Williams actually looked much more the part of the type of back they actually need for ground and pound.

But it's funny how it always is that the only team that plays vanilla defense in preseason is the Bills. :lol:

Cassel, Tyrod, EJ......they were just THAT effective....but Derek Anderson was only moving the ball because they Bills weren't playing to win. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is that the degree to which Gilmore and Darby were beaten was surprising regardless and will be much scrutinized from here on.

Saying Gilmore got beaten is revisionist. He hadgreat coverage on an island with KB on almost every snap. He got a bad pi on one play but otherwise played fine. Was in position, Gilmore is going to the pro bowl this year.

Except he did not completely suck....mixed in with Kazoo's points he prevented 2 touchdowns and nearly had a pick

I will retract the word completely from my previous statement and just say "he sucked". That doesn't sound quite as bad.

Later today I heard the press conference where Rex spoke about Darby. And that actually did console me a bit about Darby's play. Rex basically admitted they made it really hard on Darby to see how he would do. So, with that in mind, I guess he was expected to probably look bad. And he did. That is a much better situation that if the coach came out and said "Whoa! we are in big trouble in the secondary." Let's see how he does in the next few preseason games.

Saying Gilmore got beaten is revisionist.

I have no idea what you mean by that. I saw it live. In person. From midfield. Front of upper deck. Literally can't have a better vantage point to see the entire field in context. And once again.....LIVE.

When you allow competions you are getting beat. There are instances where great QB's make throws to perfect spots but when you are beat....you are beat. It is generally accepted that the opponent's performance is going to have something to do with it.

And as far as the Pro Bowl......he might have made the Pro Bowl last year too if he didn't start out so poorly.

When you don't start playing your best until mid-October it's hard to change minds regarding Pro Bowl voting.

But in all fairness to him I don't expect him to be better than Revis, Chris Harris, Vontae Davis, Joe Hayden.......there are a lot of good CB's in the AFC...and the whole league for that matter......and guys who make lots of splashy highlight plays and play in big games that the Bills do not........so don't base your opinion on him on beating out those guys for a "Pro Bowl".

Edited by #BADOL

I have no idea what you mean by that. I saw it live. In person. From midfield. Front of upper deck. Literally can't have a better vantage point to see the entire field in context. And once again.....LIVE.

When you allow competions you are getting beat. There are instances where great QB's make throws to perfect spots but when you are beat....you are beat. It is generally accepted that the opponent's performance is going to have something to do with it.

Are you insinuating that your seat at the stadium gives you a better vantage point then someone watching it on TV?

The camera men do a pretty good job of capturing that nowadays lol.

Be that as it may.....ALL corners get beat.....all of them.

Are you insinuating that your seat at the stadium gives you a better vantage point then someone watching it on TV?

John, he saw it "LIVE." My god...

I guess it's a good thing that these are the discussions that we are having after the first game... If Gilmore's our biggest problem- look out

He said that saying Gilmore got beaten was revisionist........as in it was a decision I made after the fact.

I was there live and had a perfect vantage point so I was able to make those "assessments" in real-time, not watching it after someone in the media had said it or whatever Greggy T meant.

He said that saying Gilmore got beaten was revisionist........as in it was a decision I made after the fact.

I was there live and had a perfect vantage point so I was able to make those "assessments" in real-time, not watching it after someone in the media had said it or whatever Greggy T meant.

You know Kelly seems to like you and I have respect for him

but christ

You dont need a media person telling you what your seeing on TV if you know what your looking at yourself........your attitude like you might actually know more then other fans on this board is irriating....bills fans are pretty knowledgable....some of us have played and coached.....and we also can see a play for ourselves.

Without knowing the coverages of the dbs at the time of when the WR caught the ball on Gilmore I would say that every db gets beat in the league......it happens....its gonna happen again.

Darby has the same problem Leodis had before Donnie Henderson finally got through to him -- not turning his head to make a play on the ball.

Darby generally was right in step with his matchups, but by not reading the receiver and turning his head he had no chance to make a play. You can bet Donnie will continue to be all over his case about this, and it's going to be crucial that he starts to listen because otherwise QBs like Luck and Brady* will chew him up.

Loved his fight, though -- making two consecutive PBUs after being picked on.

Darby did indeed turn his head to see the ball on many plays. Sometimes he did not and got a little lost out there.

Overall his positioning was excellent and that is the important thing at this phase of his career. He is currently going through an adjustment period but I think he will be just fine.

At 5'11" he did look tiny compared to some of those giants the Panthers have though. Nothing he is going to do about that.

Wrong buddy. You will not have a better vantage point watching it from 5 stories high compared to slow motion rewind pause LIVE tv. So yeah, you're right. People say some dumb sh. You're wrong about your non eagle eye view.

You being the big dog was fine for a few posts, then u got boring real quick.

I feel darby had a bad game too. No reason for your attitude of superiority. Unlike john, i dont care who u are. No offense j.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

I agree with everything but your bottom line. Gilmore battled KB and was winning the day when he left the field. Darby was beat (despite having great position on three of the four completions against him) by perfect throws (and I do mean perfect) and WR's who had 6 inches on him. For a rookie in his first NFL action, with no safety help or game planning, Darby did pretty darn well considering. There's no way they'd leave him isolated like that in a real game plan (you know this), so why not focus on what he did well.

If you're walking out of the game worrying about Gilmore -- you're probably worrying too much. Darby, I get the worry -- but I still think it's ridiculous at this stage when you consider what was actually happening in the game.

I agree with everything but your bottom line. Gilmore battled KB and was winning the day when he left the field. Darby was beat (despite having great position on three of the four completions against him) by perfect throws (and I do mean perfect) and WR's who had 6 inches on him. For a rookie in his first NFL action, with no safety help or game planning, Darby did pretty darn well considering. There's no way they'd leave him isolated like that in a real game plan (you know this), so why not focus on what he did well.

If you're walking out of the game worrying about Gilmore -- you're probably worrying too much. Darby, I get the worry -- but I still think it's ridiculous at this stage when you consider what was actually happening in the game.

Ryan says Darby didn't play as well as they hoped.

Darby vows to rebound.

Apparently I am not the only Bills basher who thinks he needs to play better. :doh:

All I said is that I am not confident that he is the best option on the roster at cornerback for opening day against...perhaps....the best QB in the NFL.

This is the problem with arguing subtleties on TSW........eventually people get all rankled that their unsupported opinion isn't being accepted.....and then they turn a mole hill into a mountain.

IMO Darby WILL be fine.

Eventually.

He will also probably be fine eventually if Andrew Luck riddles him on opening day and costs the Bills an AFC game at home.

I'd just rather not see them take that chance based on what I saw Friday night.

I think there will be three big differences between PS1 game and the opener that will be in Darby's favor.

1) Pass rush: We didn't bring pressure and we will bring pressure week 1

2) Safety help: Coverage will be rolled his way for help on jump balls

3) Match up: He will not cover the taller AJ but will be on the faster TY Hilton

That being said if Darby is getting roasted I think Ryan makes the easy transition of Graham to CB. Don't remember where, but the coaches said they were putting Graham exclusively at safety during OTAs and TC so he could learn the position. The assumption being that he could move back to CB quickly because its simpler (bump and run in this defense) and he's played the position before.

Edited by YattaOkasan

I thought Darby looked pretty dank out there, considering.

This guy is going to be a star.

Imo

I thought Darby looked good. Got beat by perfect balls to big guys who are meant to create those mismatches. No one is talking about his great break-up on Funchess in the end zone.

Boom! Anyone who left the first preseason game concerned about Ron Darby needs to be smacked in the forehead with a tack hammer.