Ronald Darby - how will he do?

Rex is NOT going to put him out there like he did in preseason games...please! He's going to be fine.

That does not mean he'll just be fine.. He will still be tested underneath, and it opens things up in the middle of the field. It's a real concern even with help over the top.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darby was stranded on Kelvin/Martavius island all preseason. If he didn't get beat a few times, I'd be surprised. These guys are loads taller/stronger than him. I'm not worried about week one because he'll probably get safety support and he'll go up against TY Hilton, who burns you with speed, not size. Perfect matchup considering Darby is super fast...

Also: there where a few PI calls in preseason that were pretty bad.

Edited by Uffalo Ills

Yes I'm concerned.

I didn't really love the pick at the time, and my concern with his relative lack of ball awareness hasn't been alleviated given what we've seen in the preseason.

I am, however, encouraged by his coverage ability, and hopeful that Donnie Henderson's constant preaching of finding the football will get into his head the way it did for McKelvin (and, to a lesser extent, Gilmore).

That does not mean he'll just be fine.. He will still be tested underneath, and it opens things up in the middle of the field. It's a real concern even with help over the top.

I agree with both you and ricojes...I'm just saying that I can't see Rex feeding him to the wolves like he did in preseason.

I mean, he just left to hang...:)

BTW, I really hope he is going to be fine.

Darby was stranded on Kelvin/Martavius island all preseason. If he didn't get beat a few times, I'd be surprised. These guys are loads taller/stronger than him. I'm not worried about week one because he'll probably get safety support and he'll go up against TY Hilton, who burns you with speed, not size. Perfect matchup considering Darby is super fast...

Also: there where a few PI calls in preseason that were pretty bad.

If they colts are smart they'll have Andre Johnson (6'3) on Darby's side and Hilton matched up against Gilmore. Neither of those matchups are great for the Bills from a size / speed standpoint.

I'll be curious to see if Rex has any tricks up his sleeves. He seems to be comfortable sticking with Darby based on his presser comments, but he may be blowing smoke and planning to move Graham to corner if McKelvin isn't back for the first couple of games. From a common sense standpoint that seems to make the most sense. You keep Aaron Williams back as the deep safety and bring in Duke Williams who will play in the box for the majority of snaps.

I'll be very curious to see how they line up on the first defensive possession. Either way they have to be ready to adjust if Darby can't pull his weight.

Edited by Billsrhody

Not even a little bit concerned. He's a rookie CB - he going to get burned throughout the season, so get used to it. QBs will pick on him all season until he plays well enough to make QBs think otherwise. But he's smart and has the physical tangibles and will improve. So long as the overall defensive effort is there and with some production out of the offense, hopefully Darby won't be the difference maker in a negative way in more than a game or two.

If they colts are smart they'll have Andre Johnson (6'3) on Darby's side and Hilton matched up against Gilmore. Neither of those matchups are great for the Bills from a size / speed standpoint.

I'll be curious to see if Rex has any tricks up his sleeves. He seems to be comfortable sticking with Darby based on his presser comments, but he may be blowing smoke and planning to move Graham to corner if McKelvin isn't back for the first couple of games. From a common sense standpoint that seems to make the most sense. You keep Aaron Williams back as the deep safety and bring in Duke Williams who will play in the box for the majority of snaps.

I'll be very curious to see how they line up on the first defensive possession. Either way they have to be ready to adjust if Darby can't pull his weight.

I don't think that the offense gets to dictate matchups like that. I think it's more likely that Rex picks his matchups and has Gilmore follow his preferred WR around. You're very unlikely to see the Colts' WRs running around trying to get the matchup they want (save for something like pulling Hilton into the slot to get him against Robey, which they may do).

I don't think that the offense gets to dictate matchups like that. I think it's more likely that Rex picks his matchups and has Gilmore follow his preferred WR around. You're very unlikely to see the Colts' WRs running around trying to get the matchup they want (save for something like pulling Hilton into the slot to get him against Robey, which they may do).

I don't think I've seen Gilmore play anywhere but the right side of the defense (left side of the offense). He hasn't been a Revis type that follows the best receiver wherever he goes on the field. He has been more like Sherman, staying on one side of the field and locking it down.

That said, its possible that Rex will mix it up. But based on what I saw in the preseason it will be Gilmore on one side, Darby on the other.

Edited by Billsrhody

I don't think I've seen Gilmore play anywhere but the right side of the defense (left side of the offense). He hasn't been a Revis type that follows the best receiver wherever he goes on the field. He has been more like Sherman, staying on one side of the field and locking it down.

That said, its possible that Rex will mix it up. But based on what I saw in the preseason it will be Gilmore on one side, Darby on the other.

He did it some in his rookie year.

Yeah...I attributed that to Rex not showing anything in the preseason, as in NJ he tended to always pick his man-man matchups.

You are absolutely correct that he didn't do it in the preseason though; I probably should lend more credence to that than I am. Thanks for reminding me.

Yeah...I attributed that to Rex not showing anything in the preseason, as in NJ he tended to always pick his man-man matchups.

You are absolutely correct that he didn't do it in the preseason though; I probably should lend more credence to that than I am. Thanks for reminding me.

Also, in years past it wouldn't have made much of a difference. When we had Gilmore and McKelvin/Graham those guys were more or less interchangeable from a talent standpoint. You could be right for the opener if there are clear matchups that Rex wants to stick with.

Not even a little bit concerned. He's a rookie CB - he going to get burned throughout the season, so get used to it. QBs will pick on him all season until he plays well enough to make QBs think otherwise. But he's smart and has the physical tangibles and will improve. So long as the overall defensive effort is there and with some production out of the offense, hopefully Darby won't be the difference maker in a negative way in more than a game or two.

Wow.

You must like losing.

Right out of the box we face 4 good to great qbs.

Caveman Luck, Marcia, Tinyhill, Gump Manning

All 4 qbs can do damage.

Wow.

You must like losing.

Right out of the box we face 4 good to great qbs.

Caveman Luck, Marcia, Tinyhill, Gump Manning

All 4 qbs can do damage.

You seem pretty positive about Brady* playing. Just sayin'.

only concerned if a decently taller WR is on him. I think Rex wanted to see how he handled the big-body WR's. I think he will be find against average sized WR's. He has coverage, he just PI's against the taller WR's like M. Bryant because he can't get the jump ball.

only concerned if a decently taller WR is on him. I think Rex wanted to see how he handled the big-body WR's. I think he will be find against average sized WR's. He has coverage, he just PI's against the taller WR's like M. Bryant because he can't get the jump ball.

Hmmm.

You mention how many concerns here?

Only 3.

excerpt from http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ronald-darby?id=2552689that sound accurate, but they also list strengths that contradict his weaknesses.. so get the grain of salt ready..

WEAKNESSES

Susceptible to inside releases, with feet stuttering before transitioning to close distance on loose receiver. Like teammate P.J. Williams, he must learn to play without so much grabbing downfield. Needs improvement with back to ball. Anxious to stay on top of route from press and opens door for comebacks underneath. Will occasionally lose track of his man in scramble situations. Not a hitter. Scouts question his toughness. Will get muscled by bigger receivers. Ducks head as tackler and prefers to hit with helmet over wrapping up against running backs.