Blue & White Scrimmage 8/8 6pm

That is a good way of putting it. My thought is they want the QB that they trust the most to not screw it up. They don't need the QB to win the game they need him not to lose. I am hoping that someone separates themselves and can make more plays than Cassel. At the same time if it is Cassel I have a sense for what the of play the Bills will get from him and think that they will be a playoff team. If one of the other 2 emerge they can be a Super Bowl contender. I think they keep all 3. If they are still debating which of the 3 is the best why would they would release any of them? This battle doesn't need to be settled day 1. They need to find the right guy regardless of when it is. They aren't going to cut any of them as they could potentially be the best QB option to save a roster spot for Ross Cockerill (or whoever).

I think the keep all three.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my TT fear. The drop back and then run around like a madman and hope something happens doesn't work in the NFL. The Bills will get killed if that's their QB's mindset.

As a few people keep saying, the QB doesn't have to be a top 5 QB. If he's just average, the team goes far.

Rooting for EJ. He's young, was drafted as a project, and hopefully will win the job. OF course I wish he was winning it more convincingly but at least he seems to be winning right now.

OLine was getting abused. Taylor had 35 yards after protection completely broke down. Threw and ran for the most first downs. Just movin the chains. Other Qb's would have had -35 yds in sacks.

OLine was getting abused. Taylor had 35 yards after protection completely broke down. Threw and ran for the most first downs. Just movin the chains. Other Qb's would have had -35 yds in sacks.

...the other QB's played too.

I recommend you find one of the threads that has the whole play-by-play of last night's scrimmage, because what you are saying sounds like it's out of ignorance.

Whatever one thinks of his ultimate chances - EJ won the QB competition hands-down last night. Cassel continues to show nothing and was inaccurate himself last night, as was Taylor, whose yards were mostly on scrambles while wearing a red shirt and YAC.

He'll probably read Brent Axe or Joe Bs thread

EJ is quite mobile as well

I think the keep all three.

With all due respect to you and Kirby, I'd be interested to see your final 53 with 3 QB's on the roster (2 with arguably very similar skill sets). Which valuable special teams contributors doesn't make it? Boobie? Thigpen? Butler? They're not going to be able to stash Williams or O'Leary on the PS. I'm just throwing this out there...those roster spots are quite valuable. Especially when Simms has PS eligibility. Again, JMO.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

With all due respect to you and Kirby, I'd be interested to see your final 53 with 3 QB's on the roster (2 with arguably very similar skill sets). Which valuable special teams contributors doesn't make it? Boobie? Thigpen? Butler? They're not going to be able to stash Williams or O'Leary on the PS. I'm just throwing this out there...those roster spots are quite valuable. Especially when Simms has PS eligibility. Again, JMO.

Gay?

I wasn't there but the sense that I get is that Tyrod misses some opportunities because he takes off so quickly. Someone feel free to correct me if that isn't true. It is a little bit of a double edged sword because they want him to run but they also need to him see more than his 1st read. At least that is my takeaway on the situation...

Plus he missed some open receivers on misfires.

My original 53 is out there on that thread from the spring. There would be a couple of changes (Butler for Cockerill, Gragg probably makes it, still no Thigpen even though I like him, Brown may make the team because of the injuries but will be cut later).

Fascinating is about the nicest thing I can say. What did you read? Which of Cassel's 2 completions has you excited? Taylor's "big play" was a 5-yard dump off that O'Leary took through traffic for ~30. Which of his plays am I missing? Manuel led 2 of the only three scoring drives on the night, and had all three of the top passing plays other than O'Leary's.

Let's be clear here - NONE of the QB's looked great - the Bills's defense was the star of the show last night, as it has been throughout camp. I'm only saying (along with nearly everyone else, including OBD - the only ones who get a vote - that EJ had the best night of the 3)

Agreed...

And for the life of me I can't understand why this is either so hard for some folks to understand...or why they simply seem to disregard any chance of EJ winning this job...

IMHO, EJ should always have been viewed as the favorite...And it's not because I think EJ is all that...Believe me I'm fully aware of his struggles...Rather, it's just logical based on the three QB's vying for the job...

EJ is the tallest, has the strongest arm, and was the highest rated prospect of the three coming out of college even if he was over-drafted by a round or two...EJ may not have TT's speed, but he's certainly mobile enough...And he may not have Cassel's experience, but he does have 14 NFL starts...19 (combined) TD's to 12 INT's...So at the very least he's worked through the hardest time of every QB's career...He got to sit back and watch a vet QB last year, something he should have been able to do in his Rookie year, so that should help him...The kid is smart and super driven...Quite frankly I'd be surprised if he did not win the job outright...I really would...

I think folks are getting too caught up on EJ's bad times in his first 14 and not looking at things logically...The Bills had a 100 yard rusher only twice in EJ's 14 starts...One of them was 103 by Spiller in the home win vs Carolina...The other was the Atlanta game that the Bills would have won had it not been for Stevie and Chandler fumbles...In the home win vs the Ravens in EJ's rookie year Spiller and Freddie combined for 164 rushing yards...The same year in the road win vs. Jacksonville the two combined for 147 yards on the ground...In the season opening win vs Chicago the Bills combined for 174 yards rushing with Spiller, Freddie, and Boobie...Seeing a pattern yet? EJ has only won 6 games as a starter, and go figure four of the six were when the Bills ran the ball well...It would have been 5 out of 7 had they not fumbled away the Atlanta game...

Even with his accuracy issues (something all 3 of these QB's have btw...), which are real no doubt about it...EJ still gives the Bills what they need assuming they can improve running the football...And, at least IMHO, he's clearly got the most upside of the three...So should we really be surprised if EJ beats out these two? Really? B-)

Most media types won't have a take against a player's chances unless they're absolutely convinced. Joe B's a big FSU guy having attended there and if he's not giving Manuel much of a shot, that ought to be telling. By all accounts, EJ still makes some of the same mistakes he made as a rookie, including an inability to make basic throws.

No, a scrimmage isn't going to kill his chance to win the starting job, but they don't have another year to find out if the guy can play either. And it's distressing to hear people claim that EJ's issues come down to the previous coaching staff. These guys are pros and need to be able to adapt quickly. EJ should have good coaching now, so it's on him to become the Whaley thought he might be when they selected him 2 years ago.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't get why it matters. Joe Biscaglia is a personnel evaluator in his dreams. I realize he watches FSU football and therefore has his opinion, but first and foremost, his opinion means virtually nothing to me. I watch my alma mater too, but that doesn't make me an expert at projecting their players into the NFL.

Secondly and most importantly, I think the media needs to keep their biases in check when reporting. I realize that their bias will have zero influence on the coaching staff, but it surely does affect the fan base.

Joe B. clearly has an agenda when reporting on the QB competition, and it is clearly influenced by his vested interest in being right about his opinion. Whenever EJ does something well, it's merely a completed pass, or a nice play by the receiver. Anytime EJ does something wrong, or at least the play goes wrong, it's a "bad" misfire, or no one was anywhere near the ball, or he runs into Bryce Brown, when it at least very likely, or certainly at least possible, that it was Brown who ran the wrong way first.

When Cassel or Taylor misfire, it's NEVER a bad misfire, a bad overthrow, and broken plays are NEVER the fault of the other guys. And it is not even subtle. All you have to do is review his tweets from practice and the scrimmage to see it.

And of course, he is not the only one in the media with this bias, or with a vested interest in being right about it.

Is this much ado about nothing, probably. But it seems to me that if you are rooting for a team, and it is in the best interest of the team that we have one of these guys actually master this position to a level that produces competitive football, that one could at least root for the guy to succeed for that reason alone. But on top of that, by all accounts he's a smart kind, he is a quality person, has a great temperament to be a QB, and he gives of his time in the community selflessly.

But hey, when ya gotta be right, ya gotta be right!

Joke B. got thrown out of FSU after a single semester. One friggin' semester. Of course he watched foosball there - it happens every year during the first semester.

He probably either flunked out, got thrown out for harassing cheerleaders or worse, and now has a jones for all things FSU - especially EJ.

I wonder if he does the tomahawk chop in his sleep when he dreams about EJ on the field - which apparently is ever night.

Baltimore had 3 different OC's in Tyrod's 4 years there, if that counts.

IIRC, it was also stated that Tyrod ran the scout team offense every week while with Baltimore for defensive game planning. That should give him exposure to multiple offensive schemes in the NFL. Granted he didn't have much time to actually learn the entire scheme, but he did have exposure to it.

I'm not going to quote long posts, but well stated Buffalo Bob and kokbills.

At minimum, EJ has strung together a few good practices and had the best of the scrimmage.

People ought to at least allow for the possibility he could legitimately win the job.

Most of the naysayers are just stuck in negativity.

I do think that if Tyrod does not win the starting job he should be the backup QB.....

His ability to something out of nothing would make for a good relief pitcher to our team..........

At this point.....just give me a qb that can help us win

I approve of this meesage.